The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
There are still many, many people who give a lot of time to helping people who are ill or shut-in at home or disadvantaged children; and they do it, not for money or for reputation, but because they care about their neighbours and community members and young people.
I appreciate what you wrote.

I didn't explain myself properly the first time.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner72 View Post
For me, the whole situation is sad, sad, sad.

Diana died in a most horrific manner, at such an early age.

I've still not found anyone like Diana to look up to, respect, in the 'public eye', after all these years.

Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.
northerner72 you are right about Diana, Princess of Wales death. I was depressed for a while. But I am a positive person and know she is with God now and she can not be hurt any more. I think Prince Charles marrying would have hurt Princess Diana, so I am glad she is in a better place.

I have not found anyone since the princess died that took on causes so publicly because of her fame. I hope Prince William and Catherine do some of the work that the princess left.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Jack McConnell named as patron of Diana Award for young people

Jack McConnell named as patron of Diana Award for young people - Scotsman.com News
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is very much a part of her legacy. :)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Amazing and beautiful! Thanks for posting. :-)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

As I have stated in the past. Diana, Princess of Wales living legacy is her boys. Both Princes have the compassion of their mother and it shows in their royal duties this week.

Princess Diana must be very proud of them.

sirhon11234 that video made me miss Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Royal rebel: the legacy of Diana | UK news | The Guardian
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with the last paragraph from the Guardian article in above post:

Diana's ascendancy coincided with celebrity-watching spreading from downmarket magazines and tabloids to the broadsheets and the chattering classes and her progress was a bellwether of that passage. Wronged wife, feminist symbol, fashion plate, media manipulator, ingénue, sexual predator, champion of the oppressed and needy, loose cannon, charity worker, humanitarian, hysteric, bulimic, iconic Good Mother, alternative therapy flake, challenger to the establishment – Diana was all that and more. She was a one-off, fascinating and flawed. Her legacy might be mixed, but it's not insubstantial. Her life was brief, but she left her mark.

Yes, she left her mark that will continue through her sons.

BTW, the palace wants Catherine to watch films on Diana, Princess of Wales to emulate Diana's star power.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
BTW, the palace wants Catherine to watch films on Diana, Princess of Wales to emulate Diana's star power.
Yah and I also heard that the Duchess of Windsor is being set forth as a fashion icon for her to emulate.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone here believe that Wlliam will, when he succeeds his father, reinstate the HRH to his mother's designation?

Personally, I think he'll posthumously create his mother a princess in her own right with the style of an HRH.

A good deal of time would have passed and a good many may wonder why he would do such a thing, but Diana, even in death, will be the mother of a King (as is expected) and I firmly believe William will acknlowledge this in by making such a tribute.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Why is it necessary to create HRH for the late Diana, Princess of Wales? She was born "Lady Diana".
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, she was. But if William decides otherwise, who are we to question the motivations of a son?

It was stated that William said that he would undertake the reinstatement when he became monarch, but whether or not he said this when she was alive, I can not recall.

It would be interesting to see if he does in any case.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for clarifying the point!
I have been unaware of the fact it is Prince William's wish to do so. We have no right to question his motives. Given the heavy influx of common blood, being born "Lady ..." is the distinction in itself.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

@ Madame Royale- What William said to Diana at the time of her divorce was:
" Do not worry Mummy, I will give your HRH back to you one day when I am King."
It will be interesting to see what he does about the whole issue now. IMHO, William should give his mother her title back posthumously. She after all was the mother of a future king, and as such the title should never have been removed in the first place.
She earned the respect to be called an HRH.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I think this is very much a part of her legacy. :)
Thanks for posting my favorite You Tube video EVER! Aside from her boys, this is her legacy, not part of it. It represents her legacy wonderfully. Just multiply this child's experience, by hundreds of thousands of people, of all ages, races, religions, backgrounds and you have the legacy of Diana.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Gentry

I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. Anyone who has compared the way the royal family handled introduction of Diana into the "firm" to the way in which Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton has been handled can see the very obvious differences that would not have taken place had it not been for Diana's efforts. She absolutely insisted on preparing William and Harry to be more attuned to and in touch with ordinary people and a normal way of life. Her legacy is her sons and the extraordinary way their present lives reflect enormous change. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her. Perhaps in the long range view, her contribution was over a few short years, however it is highly significant for the way in which it changed the royal family.

"All apart from the most ardent fans will recognise that within history her contribution was short, even if it was eventful. She will be remembered, when William becomes King, as his mother, nothing more or less."
Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Gentry

I agree wholeheartedly! I think he will!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her.
1; How did she change the course of history?
2; William has a very very loving, caring, extremley well educated future monarch as a father and a incredible sophisticated, well travelled and knowledgeable grandmother. Diana IMO has done not even half of what HM and Charles have done for William.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. Anyone who has compared the way the royal family handled introduction of Diana into the "firm" to the way in which Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton has been handled can see the very obvious differences that would not have taken place had it not been for Diana's efforts. She absolutely insisted on preparing William and Harry to be more attuned to and in touch with ordinary people and a normal way of life. Her legacy is her sons and the extraordinary way their present lives reflect enormous change. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her. Perhaps in the long range view, her contribution was over a few short years, however it is highly significant for the way in which it changed the royal family.

"All apart from the most ardent fans will recognise that within history her contribution was short, even if it was eventful. She will be remembered, when William becomes King, as his mother, nothing more or less."
For more that I appreciate the sober aspect of the BRF, they would need to change anyway around. In the 50's maybe it was OK to be the figure above and distant, but now if you want to make monarchy still relevant some changes needed to be made.

BTW, there's a wonderful interview with Sarah Ferguson on YT where she says told how it pains so much to talk about Diana in the past, but her "two boys" would have made her so very proud.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Diana IMO has done not even half of what HM and Charles have done for William.
William will be a good king because of both of his parents. Not just one or other.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana