The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
Yes, very definitely. With one handshake without gloves, she demonstrated to the world that it was quite OK to touch someone who is HIV positive.
Also for those that had leprosy. Diana was always willing to be kind to those that were isolated and cast aside. Or those blown up. Not a bad thing in life, especially if one considers themselves a Christian or wants to be head of a Church.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Well maybe in Great Britain with an exhibit of other famous royals and Princess Diana it would draw more people. But here in America, Diana, Princess of Wales exhibit is still in demand. I can not wait till the Princess Diana exhibit this November in my hometown.
I agree I'm waiting for the exhibit to come to New York.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla Fayed 'to honour Princess Diana'
http://www.zeenews.com/news627068.html

The 25-year-old daughter of Mohamed Al Fayed is backing a fundraising campaign for Diana's school -- the New School at West Heath in Kent where the Princess was a pupil until the age of 16, the 'Sunday Express' reported.
Camilla works full-time as an ambassador for the Al Fayed Foundation which raises millions for charity every year.
Her latest project is Lawnfest, a music and arts fundraiser on June 11 which hopes to create four new bursaries at the school for vulnerable children.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Remembering Princess Diana: My Memories
Remembering Princess Diana: My Memories - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

£48k photocopier bill may close Oxford charity opened by Princess Diana
£48k photocopier bill may close Oxford charity opened by Princess Diana (From thisisoxfordshire)
Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana is often referred to as "an iconic figure". I wish someone would define what that phrase is supposed to mean.

When Diana died in tragic circumstances, there was an understandable amount of grief and loss, and the nation was quick to respond to it - The British people at their best, I think.

I'm certain that her legacy will endure. There are already clear signs that that will be the case, for instance the temperament and behaviour of Prince William whom she took with her to cardboard city at night to teach him some of her values.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

The immortal Diana: Who's cashing in on the princess?

The immortal Diana: Who's cashing in on the princess? | Life & Style
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Diana Awards: Meet four of this year's young winners who confronted knife crime and gang violence

Read more: Diana Awards 2010: Meet 4 young winners who faced knife crime and gang violence | Mail Online
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 AM

What is left for me, is a memory of a person who (ignoring any personal challenges) did a lot of charitable work, brought the issue of land mines to the world stage and in some way forcing the issue to be dealt with by 'unmovable' governments.

Diana also leaves the memory of someone who showed her sons that there is a life beyond what may be termed loosely as 'privilege' - showing them that there are vast swathes of people who need an extra level of care and attention, be that medically or through social justice.

I hope I am not the only one who feels this, but there is a lasting sense (after all these years) of pain and distress that her life was cut short to sadly. For me at least, she left a gap which has never been replaced.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well said, Northerner72. Welcome to TRF!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Royal Highness

northerner72. Your above words are so the way I feel about the people's princess. For me too she left A GAP WHICH I DON'T THINK WILL BE REPLACED.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Amen northerner72!!

I would also add in there those all important photos of Diana shaking hands w/AIDS sufferers w/out wearing gloves. In this day and age of AIDS education, we forget just how earth shattering those pictures were at the time. Those pictures did more for AIDS Awareness than any multi million dollar campaign.

My Aunt was paying us a visit last summer when she saw one of my Diana books out. A friend of ours had been here earlier and I was showing her the picture of Diana that my doll is based on and I didn't get a chance to put the book away. My Aunt started leafing through it and, I quote, said...

Quote:
Poor Princess Diana. No one ever remembers her anymore...
Apparently, my face was quite the picture and not one you'd want to see. I'm also amazed I still have a tongue in my head after that moment as well.

She will never be forgotten. No one who does the amount of good that she did will ever be forgotten.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

Part of her legacy will be that she could relate to the average person. She wanted her sons to be able to relate or interact with others who were not royal. The people's princess was a good name for her.

If I saw her on the street and she came up to me and talked to me, I will feel at ease talking to her. This would be like talking to an old friend. She had this affect on people. This would not be true if it were other royals who were a lot more formal about things like that.

When she talked about being lonely, it hit a nerve with me. I understand what it's like to be or feel lonely in school. However, I had family members that I could talk to if I felt this way. She didn't seem to have this and I doubt she expressed these feelings to her family or perhaps anyone else until later in her life.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with everyone here. I never thought her life was a tragedy I felt that it was just her death. She had many highs and many lows. Yes, she suffered from self esteem issues, depression, and had a horrible marriage. But she had two beautiful kids, been to many beautiful places, and met a lot of people. That's not a tragic life to me. Diana will hardly be forgotten. She's always referenced in tv shows that I watch recently in Glee and Shameless.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

I'm quite sad when I write this -
I know so much about her so I don't think I would have liked to meet her beyong meetings on charity occasion. I don't think I would have liked to be a friend of her because I don't think she knew what being a friend actually meant.

But still I feel something whenever I see a picture of the young or older Diana, when she smiled the sun began to shine, even if it rained. She really had an aura.

She was something sooo wonderful viewed from the outside and such a bag of plagues (please, accept my apologies for using this expression used for a loved, but very, very difficult member of the family...) when you came closer.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator

I think Diana was like any other normal human being with flaws. You either liked her or you didn't. There is nothing wrong with that.

How many of us know someone who is a VERY good friend with a friend of yours...but for some reason, you are not friends with them? Other than being friendly bcause you have a common friend? There is something about them that turns you off?

Diana's legacy will be her children, and her work with her charities including AIDS and Land Mines. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters to me.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness

ROYAL BLOG: CAMERON VOWS TO KEEP PRINCESS DIANA’S FLAME BURNING AMID QUEEN CAMILLA FEARS

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Cameron vows to keep Princess Diana’s flame burning amid Queen Camilla fears | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writers
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
... Diana will hardly be forgotten...
As the risk of being pilloried, I still think about Diana every day, even though it has been almost 14 years since Diana's death.

I do wonder, sometimes, if there are many left who still think as much of Diana now as they did when Diana was alive.

Although it's 14 years, to me at least, it still doesn't seem like last year. Diana's memory and the memories of that terrible week are still as fresh in my mind.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

As do I. My feelings about Diana are complex, as she was. She had such a promising start and showed such great ability, but I think that the pressures she was under--including the problems in her marriage and with the paparazzi--brought out the worst in her. When she forgot about her problems and was doing good work for other people, she was at her best IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner72 View Post
As the risk of being pilloried, I still think about Diana every day, even though it has been almost 14 years since Diana's death.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
As do I. My feelings about Diana are complex, as she was. She had such a promising start and showed such great ability, but I think that the pressures she was under--including the problems in her marriage and with the paparazzi--brought out the worst in her. When she forgot about her problems and was doing good work for other people, she was at her best IMO.
For me, the whole situation is sad, sad, sad.

Diana died in a most horrific manner, at such an early age.

I've still not found anyone like Diana to look up to, respect, in the 'public eye', after all these years.

Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

There are still many, many people who give a lot of time to helping people who are ill or shut-in at home or disadvantaged children; and they do it, not for money or for reputation, but because they care about their neighbours and community members and young people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner72 View Post
Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana