The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Commoner

Being slightly older than her, I watched Diana from the engagement through her death. I think the BRF (in particular, Charles since he never really seemed to defend her, most likely because he really didn't love or respect her enough) took a fairly (but not totally) innocent, naieve girl, put her into a very high-pressured situation, expected her to pop-out a few heirs and behave exactly like the models were at the time and she just rebelled since it wasn't her nature. Not that she didn't know what was expected of her going in, but did she really understand the total picture or was she "so in love" to put the blinders on.

But look at the good that came out of it all beyond the ugliness of the relationship - two good looking boys and modernization of the monarchy. Diana was solely responsible for opening a lot of people's eyes - the monarchy to put them much more in touch with people and issues and the people's eyes to bring the monarchy more down to their level. The mystic and mystery of the monarchy was taken down a few pegs but it was probably long overdue.

I also agree with the comments that after the separation and divorce, she matured and became her own woman. She still continued with the charity work she loved and was so famous for -- just too bad the press couldn't leave her alone where she shouldn't have been so in the limelight, no longer being in the BRF. It's also too bad that she seemed to have soured to all the public exposure - she still had so much to give to charity because she was so well-known.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher and JK Rowling voted among the top 125 women who changed our world

Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher and JK Rowling voted among the top 125 women who changed our world | Mail Online

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

I think that is wonderful news about Princess Diana. I wish the article listed more of the list. Does anyone know if Princess Grace and Queen Elizabeth II get mentioned?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is very good news! I'm also happy Oprah and J.K. Rowling made the list.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I think that is wonderful news about Princess Diana. I wish the article listed more of the list. Does anyone know if Princess Grace and Queen Elizabeth II get mentioned?
I am frankly surprised that anyone think Princess Diana did anything that changed the world significantly. To compare her to the likes of Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosewelt and Marie Curie is an insult to them and all the other women who really had/have an impact on the development of the world.

Don't get me wrong, Diana was a beautyful, well meaning person but did she contribute anything significant to change the world? No, she did not. Jody Williams should be in her position on the list.

I have no problems excepting Queen Elizabeth but what ever did Princess Grace do to be on the list? Please enlighten me Georgiana.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Are you aware of the Ottawa Accord? Diana's presence in Bosnia and Angola publicized the push to ban anti-personnel landmines. In this case, I believe that her actions did have an effect.
Tiptoeing around landmines - Los Angeles Times
Did she change the world? No. But she did bring publicity to important causes.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

She did and I respect her memory for that. although it is quite sad that she had just sorted her life out and she got caught up in the Fayed's bs. Such potential wasted.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
I have no problems excepting Queen Elizabeth but what ever did Princess Grace do to be on the list? Please enlighten me Georgiana.
Grace Kelly for her movies and Princess Grace for her patronages: Red Cross, Arts, Princess Grace Hospital and anything else to help her Monaco subjects. She was very important to Monaco's financial progress by bringing her Hollywood glamor there. Monaco became a tourist spot for the world.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

And the Christmas giving for the kids who were not as well off as others. I remember seeing a big picture book--coffee table style-- of Princess Grace and there was a big christmas tree and all sorts of presents scattered about with children everywhere and a smiling Grace.
I'll see if I can't find it.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
She did and I respect her memory for that. although it is quite sad that she had just sorted her life out and she got caught up in the Fayed's bs. Such potential wasted.

I think that her getting mixed up with the Fayed's is evidence that she hadn't sorted out her life at all but was still seeking something.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. Getting involved with them was one of the worst decisions of her life. I don't believe that she ever found what she wanted--unconditional love (except from her children) and inner peace.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think that her getting mixed up with the Fayed's is evidence that she hadn't sorted out her life at all but was still seeking something.
I believe, after reading Tina Brown's "The Diana Chronicles" she was on her way to finding what she sought. And by no means take this as Russo being in the "Diana camp" as she certainly is not. (Russo even wrote to Prince Charles when the whole Dimbleby -Squidgygate-Camillagate mess came out giving her support to HRH and his private secretary wrote back and Russo cannot find the letter!! )
It wasn't unusual for Diana to hang out with the Fayed's. They were family friends from way back and Raine Spencer (I've heard she's reverted back to that name after her divorce from the Count) still works for the man (Mo Fayed). That she got involved with Dodi--I believe he was just a summer diversion, until she could move into a more Goodwill Ambassadorship role. Don't forget a lot of countries outlawed land mines after the Princesses' death. There was good done there.
And the concert her boys gave in her honor netted a lot of money for charity for good to be done as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

As someone who had a relative dying of AIDS at the time, when Diana held the hand of an AIDS patient at a time when they were social pariahs, it really made a difference in how others reacted to those afflicted. That and her landmines work changed the world, IMO.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Whatever is said about Diana and her legacy, her immediate and lasting impact in humanising those with HIV/AIDS cannot be denied.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. Also her actions in touching people with leprosy and walking through a mindfield. These were all courageous things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Whatever is said about Diana and her legacy, her immediate and lasting impact in humanising those with HIV/AIDS cannot be denied.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

As to acceptance of people with HIV/AIDS, I'm not sure that we "ordinary" people have moved on sufficiently, compared with Diana's example.
And one could say almost the same about our attitude towards homeless people.
At least Prince William has tried to highlight this cause by sleeping rough on a cold London night.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Royal Highness

I believe acceptance of HIV/AIDS person is better now, then in the 80's; because of Diana, Princess of Wales and HIV/AIDS awareness.

Public awareness about the homeless was highlighted this winter by Prince William. To me this shows the most important lasting legacy of Princess Diana - her sons and their actions to help her causes go on.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Nobility

Yes, very definitely. With one handshake without gloves, she demonstrated to the world that it was quite OK to touch someone who is HIV positive.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

It is time for Princess Diana to take her place in history | Life & Style (27/04/2010).

Almost 13 years after her death, Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space and, she says, “while Diana remains a very important part of the history of the palace, she's no longer part of contemporary culture. It's time for her to take her place in the gallery, alongside all the others.” Worsley believes Princess Diana is yesterday's woman, no longer considered a sufficient draw to merit her own exhibition space.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthelight View Post
It is time for Princess Diana to take her place in history | Life & Style (27/04/2010).Worsley believes Princess Diana is yesterday's woman, no longer considered a sufficient draw to merit her own exhibition space.
Well maybe in Great Britain with an exhibit of other famous royals and Princess Diana it would draw more people. But here in America, Diana, Princess of Wales exhibit is still in demand. I can not wait till the Princess Diana exhibit this November in my hometown.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana