The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Some people seem to hover over the Charles and Camilla threads to defend them to the death, no matter their bad behavior...and over Diana's threads to bash her and her defenders at all times.
The problem with this analysis scooter is that it is so over-stated and exaggerated as to be ridiculous.
I have been a Moderator of the British Forums for exactly four years now and an Administrator for three. I can assure you the overall atmosphere, level of politeness, member attitude, and degree of insight, knowledge and understanding shown by members in the Diana threads has vastly improved over this period.
Your claim that "some people...bash [Diana] and her defenders at all times" is so at odds with reality as to be absurd.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Diana deserves to be remebered for who she was, not for being the lead player in an annual "Pity Party"!
I agree, the Princess deserves to be rembered for who she was as does everyone.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Courtier

There is a lot of Diana which has become a legacy, the most significant of which is her two sons. They appear to be, as they grow and mature, balancing the human side against the royal side. Harry has had many more bumps than has William - but her enduring legacy will be, most significantly, those two men.

Secondarily, her work on land mines continues to have strong positive impact, particularly in Africa. One of my friends is a doctor with the WHO and has first-hand knowledge of the devastation caused by land mines. She has said to me that Diana's image and legacy continue to be "currency" in the efforts to clear the land mines' destructive influence.

On the shallower side, her dedication to British fashion and her personal appearance in such confections put several British designers back in the "win" column; it's unlikely that women who purchase haute couture would flock to a designer or dressline as worn on a woman with a less comely appearance.

The individuals who were personally touched in her life, such as her many godchildren, will have private memories that will remain untainted by the naysayers who have decided that her life must be considered as a zero-sum game within the Royal family.

And to be perfectly blunt about something, one legacy of the end of her life is the necessity of seatbelts! Any time one of my passengers demurs on wearing one, I turn around and say "Paris? Tunnel? Diana? Put on the &^%* belt!"
Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The problem with this analysis scooter is that it is so over-stated and exaggerated as to be ridiculous.
I have been a Moderator of the British Forums for exactly four years now and an Administrator for three. I can assure you the overall atmosphere, level of politeness, member attitude, and degree of insight, knowledge and understanding shown by members in the Diana threads has vastly improved over this period.
Your claim that "some people...bash [Diana] and her defenders at all times" is so at odds with reality as to be absurd.
Warren made it very clear and thorough. This place had many difficult hours, the atmosphere back then was terrible and didn't allow everyone to feel "at home", so to speak. I'm sure older members would be glad to tell you about it.
Our work as Moderators was most of the time trying to cool things down and stop fights to go any further. Fortunately, today, this activity has become quite rarer and I don't see many people around here, complaining so harshly as you do.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
And to be perfectly blunt about something, one legacy of the end of her life is the necessity of seatbelts! Any time one of my passengers demurs on wearing one, I turn around and say "Paris? Tunnel? Diana? Put on the &^%* belt!"

I had to drive a couple of friends to the airport this afternoon and they didn't put their seatbelts on.

I made the comments above and was greeted with stares and a 'please explain'. I did so and they replied 'but you aren't drunk, we aren't being chased by paparazzi, you can handle this car, we aren't going to be telling you to do things that are stupid and you won't be going over the speed limit so your point doesn't make sense'.

They did put on their seatbelts (because it is the law in Australia to wear one where fitted at all times) but they simply, at first didn't understand the cryptic nature of your comment and then shot it down very quickly.

It lead to a discussion on her legacy and the general consensus was - her sons and and and .... they couldn't really think of anything else that has changed in the world because of her.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Ask those who's lives were changed by the causes of which she was patron, and I'm sure they'd give you a well qualified answer as to what kind of legacy Diana, Princess of Wales has left. Though but one person, the exposure she brought to the table resulting in further research and funding has I'm sure changed the lives of a good many people.

Even if it were but one person who's life she helped better, that's still quite the legacy to leave, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh dear! Iluvbertie, I'm very sad your friends are that way about seat belts, and don't "get" the lesson from Diana's death.

You might be sober and driving sensibly and well, but what if some loon comes across the median strip and drives at you on your side of the road at 100 kph, or your brakes fail, or for some other reason there is a high speed crash.

I was speaking to an ambulance officer only yesterday afternoon about some of the car accidents he's had to attend. He was telling me about the first one, back in the days before seat belts were compulsory....
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

OK, the temporary diversion involving claims of innocent members being attacked by Diana-bashers has been removed.

The last occasion this thread required moderator intervention was six months ago.

° ° °

Members who prefer to participate in a volatile and combatative environment are advised to find another forum more suited to their posting style.

Claims of victimhood and complaints about the moderation of the British Forums may be addressed to me by PM.

One of the parties who has been stated to be "bashing Diana defenders at all times" has not posted at TRF for two months.

Any further attempts to derail this thread from the stated topic by deliberate inflammatory and wildly exaggerated claims will be dealt with accordingly.

Normal transmission will now be resumed.

Thanks for everybody's cooperation in ensuring the thread returns to it's previous trouble-free state.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I always remind my friends when we go into a car and they don't put on their seatbelt what happened to Diana because she didn't wear one.There is this belief that if one sits in the backseat he or she doesen't have to wear a seatbelt. And my friends made the same remark and I told them that the Princess was in the backseat and still sustained injuries
that killed her. My friends immediately put on their seatbelts when I was done with my speech.

Even if you are in a car and the driver is sober and there aren't any photographers chasing after you, that doesen't mean your not going to get into an accident and shouldn't wear your seatbelt.

Quote:
Madame Royal Even if it were but one person who's life she helped better, that's still quite the legacy to leave, imo.
You are very right Madame Royal.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Well said, MadameRoyal and sirhon112234; one life made better is a remarkable achievement. Ralph Waldo Emerson had a wonderful saying about it; I'll look for it.

Seatbelts, I always thought, go without saying. TRF endlessly surprises me, I must say!

I do know that among my circle, reminding is rarely required but when it is, the memory of the tunnel crash is enough. Not to be insulting, but my friends are probably a bit older and have a longer life memory as well as body of experience, and remember the tunnel crash. The manner of Diana's death has hardly become the "Obscure British History Category" on Jeopardy!, along with the names of Edward VII's godparents.

So if even one person buckles up when reminded that the only survivor of the crash is the only one who wore a belt, well then, there is yet another positive legacy.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

A few days old
Celebrating Di Day

Latest news from Cambridge & Cambridgeshire. Cambridge sports, Cambridge jobs & Cambridge business - Celebrating Di Day

PEOPLE in Cambridge are packing a community centre today to remember the day it was opened by Princess Diana.
The Princess of Wales performed the opening ceremony of Cherry Hinton Village Centre on August 1, 1989.
To celebrate the anniversary, a special open day is being held today.
Mr Woodhouse said: “Someone reminded me that Princess Diana was coming to Cambridge to open the children’s hospice at Milton, and suggested we should write to her to see if she would do the village centre as well. To our surprise, she agreed.”
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Nobility

The best days to remember in connnection with Diana are her birthday, and sadly, the date of her death. There's really no purpose to remembering the day of her wedding, I think even had she lived the press would have moved on from remembering the date of her wedding so much eventually.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana's Death: Anniversary Brings French Health Care Into Focus - ABC News
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

The article on the French health care system was very interesting. The provision of health care services in many countries have been undergoing increasing scrutiny and it's going to be interesting to see how it all turns out. Having worked in health care for a number of years, I agree every situation, every individual poses a unique set of issues. Would Natasha Richardson have survived, for instance, if the ambulance had insisted she go to hospital for head scans or if there had been a flight service to more quickly get her to the nearest trauma center? And, of course, would Princess Diana have lived had she gotten to a trauma center in minutes, rather than hours? What quality of life would she have had even if that had happened?

After years of reading books and articles about Diana and the tragic events of August 31, 1997, I tend to believe her injuries were so grave there would be no way of saving her. It was a horrid, unfortunate accident.

As for her legacy, I think time has healed a lot of wounds. I've actually been moving and going through books and articles from the days of the courtship with Prince Charles and I think the Princess' legacy is what she would most likely have wanted--her sons, Princes William and Harry, making a successful transition into healthy, accomplished young men. As a mother, I know that would be my wish, that my daughter would turn out well. Her flaws--and I even hesitate using that word--were of the understandably human variety--some jealousy, game playing, romances with some less than savory men. What I think of when I remember her, however, is how many people who said she touched their lives in memorable ways--friends and strangers alike. She was an inherently good person who tried to live a meaningful life, raise children with good values, and she wanted what most of us want--love, security, fun and friends, and a sense of being needed. I am grateful she walked among us for as long as she did. She was glamorous, interesting, and, as a contemporary age-wise, a role model in many ways. I will always remember her fondly and believe much of the world will, too.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana Remembered 12 Years Later: See Her Most Stylish Moments (PHOTOS)
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

The lives of Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother, and Diana, Princess of Wales, reflected a differing understanding of the Royal role, says Simon Heffer

The gulf between a Princess and a Queen - Telegraph
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Beautifull photos... thanks for posting .
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Majesty

I found this statement reflecting some of my own thoughts about people's view of Diana and her death.

"Yet that is, I suppose, the encapsulation of what had changed in our national temper between 1952 and 1997. The generation that lived through the Blitz – as Queen Elizabeth did – got up out of the ruins, mourned their dead quietly and with dignity, and simply carried on. Perhaps Dr Williams would reflect – and he is more qualified to do so than I am – that the reaction to the late Princess's death was that to be expected of a secular society, or at least of one far more secularised than it had been half a century earlier. Society struggles to believe in a God it cannot see in these times. A god, or goddess, that can not only be seen, but is also role model, catwalk model, media personality and celebrity is not merely tangible, but far more credible. Sadly for those who believed in her, she was also mortal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The lives of Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother, and Diana, Princess of Wales, reflected a differing understanding of the Royal role, says Simon Heffer

The gulf between a Princess and a Queen - Telegraph
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
With respect, Mr Heffer, it doesn�t matter whether or not you liked any and all of those ladies clutching whatever flowers they had purchased, what matters is that they were openly displaying their emotion at the tragic loss of someone who was held in much higher esteem than most if not all of the rest of the Windsor family and, perhaps, they were even displaying their disgust at what Charles Windsor had been up to.

The difference between Princess Diana and the Queen Mother is one of era, age and indifference; the Queen Mother was born in the first year of the 20th century when women had not yet attained the vote and 101 when she died in her own bed in the second year of the 21st century and for the most part, appeared indifferent to the ordinary masses to whom she would occasionally wave a hand whereas Princess Diana was born at the beginning of a much more liberal attitude to life and only 36 when she was unlawfully killed in Paris but was wont to make a great deal of effort to meet and greet people around the world. In other words, the latter was in touch and the former was completely out of touch.
I agree with this commmentator's sentiments.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

At least be fair and quote both sides, not just that of a conspiracy theorist.
Quote:
The adulation she received in life and death was on a par with that for Michael Jackson and there really is no basis for comparison with the Queen Mum.
Quote:
I share Mr Heffer's views on the death of Princess Diana. While I was shocked and saddened by the news, nothing prepared me for the unaccountable, obscene, and frankly risible public display of cheap sentimentality which followed.
Quote:
Diana was an unmitigated disaster - she viewed herself as a celebrity or a movie star might and acted accordingly. Public exposure and media attention was everything. It was better to be noticed for bad behaviour than not to be noticed at all.
There are many, many, more comments agreeing with or opposed.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana