The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Nobility

I think Diana and the RF were just incompatible, but Diana did modernize them in some ways that were positive. I think she made them more relatable to people, got people more interested in the RF, yes bad in some ways, but good in others, and people started to pay more attention to royal charity work because of her. With her and the RF, my opinion is divided, I think there good and bad things.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Nobility

I always admired the princess for her sense of style- charities- her "on hands" approach to official functions and role as a mother. I think the problems started when she became a " celebrity" not like the rest of the royal women who are country folk at heart. QE11/POW came from the "old school" of royalty with museum like qualities and the way Diana handled official functions the queen thought of them as "stunts"
jmo

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was rather surprised that no one (that I saw) commented on yesterday being the 28th anniversary of the wedding. I would take that as a sign that she's already being forgotten.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

No, its just whats the point in comemorating a marraige and wedding that is over.In 1997 I'm sure Diana and Charles weren't calling and wishing each other happy what would have been our 16th anniversary.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think a mention is necessarily a commemoration. It's not uncommon for people to be interested in what happened on a certain date. But I think it's a sign of lessening interest, which could be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. Could be a sign of positive growth/healing.

(Although I have known exes who called to wish each other best wishes on what would have been an anniversary.)

It was just a thought.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Normally the Daily Express and many of the UK papers have included pictures of the wedding, even run downs of the courtship, (such as it was), wedding and the short time they seemed to be happy. This year nothing, many people have simply moved on.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

Not that you should think I'm a complete dinosaur, I don't expect weeping and ashes in the streets. Just a "remember when".... but I am a sentimental creature.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

You should be greatful that some people dont burn her in effigy here. :-(
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Royal Highness

why do you think that she is perceived that badly, scooter?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
What is that supposed to mean?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I took it to mean that Scooter perceives that some people here absolutely despise Diana and her memory and would be likely to want to burn an effigy of her.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh well that's unfortunate.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

But to burn her in effigy is pretty extreme. You certainly don't see that kind of behavior in the U.S. very often, so I am wondering what she did that inspired that kind of passion in these people. (I think you're more likely to hear someone say she was just a celebrity or a parasite not worthy of consideration--like some other celebs.)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
You should be greatful that some people dont burn her in effigy here
Who are you suggesting that would be? I have done an extensive search since reading this comment and can find nobody and nothing to suggest that is the case!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
But to burn her in effigy is pretty extreme. You certainly don't see that kind of behavior in the U.S. very often, so I am wondering what she did that inspired that kind of passion in these people. (I think you're more likely to hear someone say she was just a celebrity or a parasite not worthy of consideration--like some other celebs.)
It is not the sort of thing one see's here either!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
I don't think I understand what you're saying.
There's nothing to burn. Just people sharing their opinion on her… unless being in a dictatorship, people have the right to express different views on things (how boring otherwise!).
If this year there aren't many news on Diana, it's a pretty good sign that people have gone on with the living, of their will to place life before death. Doesn't mean they forget about her and that's at least the peace her sons have been yearning for. Isn't what people who like her, admire her were waiting for for such a long time?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

Scooter, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful of your thought, but I was genuinely interested in what you had to say. So I hope you feel free to explain more to us.

I know my feelings for Diana go beyond what is "normal"... even my best friend says, when I launch into a royal family/Diana story "and this means what to me??" Probably not much. But I'm still hooked.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

My point is that there seems to be a very vocal group here that has absolutely zero positive to say about the late Princess on any and all subjects and only wonderful things to say about her former husband and his second wife on any and all subjects who will fight to the death before they 'admit' anything the slightest bit nice about Diana, period. At the very least there seems to be a wholesale whitewashing of history by some members, IMHO. I have also noticed that this group will gang up and personally bash anyone who disagrees, myself included. There was a new poster a few weeks ago who was attacked and told to 'get a life' on their very first post for suggesting that Charles is a bit hypocritical on the whole 'green'/private plane aspect. I've had many pms from members who have thrown their hands up and walked off, exhausted from debating the 'do you have a personal statement from the Palace otherwise nothing else is the truth' argument. Some people seem to hover over the Charles and Camilla threads to defend them to the death, no matter their bad behavior...and over Diana's threads to bash her and her defenders at all times. I must confess I sometimes find this argument so exasperating that I leave this site and dont come back for long periods, which is sad because except for that aspect I quite enjoy this forum.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

You have a point Scooter, the War of the Waleses continues through some of the fans.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Majesty

For the most part I think that the "War of the Wales's" is done and dusted. The thing that seems to irritate me the most is that Princess Diana is "frozen" in the Panorama documetary, forever a victim? or made out to be both a victim and a martyr, some sort of "Pity" godess. Eternally broken-hearted, eternally a lost child.

She is not and was not, any more so than each of us is "victimised" by our own life choices.

By the time of her death Diana and Charles had lived and grown and, I think, become better people than they were, before and during the breakup. Neither of them had been stirling in their behavior at times but I think they both got over themselves and decided to call a truce for their children.

It wasn't perfect, but it was life. Continuing to castigate the surviving ex spouse does nothing to edify Diana's life. It diminishes it, forever calling people to "take sides" like spiteful children and continue to play out the "tragedy" for all time.

She got over it . . . . so should we! That is why noone made a big deal about a wedding anniversary for a marriage broken long before her death.

Many have postulated the theory that Hassnet Khan was the love of her life. By freezing her in time we deny the vital life she lived. And that is the whole point, she was divorced not dead. But for many it is as if she died way back then, which necessitated a total denial of the vibrant life she led until her untimely actual death.

Diana deserves to be remebered for who she was, not for being the lead player in an annual "Pity Party"!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
My point is that there seems to be a very vocal group here that has absolutely zero positive to say about the late Princess on any and all subjects
And this backs up your dramatic statement of 'burning her in effigy' how? All iowabelle said was there did not appear to be any mention of the 1981 wedding, unlike previous years and other posters gave their opinions as to why that might be.

As on any thread, and as has been shown dozens of times, if a statement has been made by a poster as fact, then it should be possible to back it up with a source. Most of the links that many posters have been kind enough to provide, state in the article, (if you read past the headline), that such and such is based on gossip or the ubiquitous unnamed source/close friend. It is, to me, not acceptable, to state (as an example) that a particular person said or did this, when in fact it is something taken from a book written by someone else, who also was probably not there. Had such a statement been phrased "I read in ???s book that A said this and my interpretation or opinion is that this was spin put out by so and so on their behalf" ... that would be entirely different. Very few posters on here can state with any certainty that this or that happened, because very few posters were actually there or have anything other than third/fourth/fifth hand interpretations of an event, since they have only read about it in a book by someone putting their interpretation on events they have been told about.

Although I am not a moderator, I would suggest you continue to complain by PM to a moderator of your concerns, IMO, it ruins a nice discussion to read personal gripes aired in the threads!

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana