Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I'm not so sure about that, :flowers: It would appear that not many people know who the present Queens parents were. :eek:

So true. I have had people ask me if Queen Victoria is the Queen's mother as they haven't heard of any other.:D I am talking about educated people - not kids but adults with degrees and years of experience. They are simply not interested and so are quite happy to live in ignorance on this issue.

I can see people not knowing who the Queen's father is, since he passed away in the early '50s, but the Queen's mother I find more surprising, as the Queen Mother died only seven and a half years ago. I guess some people are indeed not interested. I guess to be fair, there's things I am not interested in too.

:previous: By the time William becomes King, his mother will have been gone a long time. 40-50 years almost the same. :flowers:

There is far more footage and photographs of the Princess than the Queen's father.
What will happen 40-50 years from now is anyone's guess.

Also Grace Kelly has been dead for 27 years; and yet she is still very popular here in the States, Monaco, and France. Why is that different for Diana?

I think its a little quick to say that forty or fifty years from now, there will be little or no interest in Diana.

And for proof you need to look no further than this board. There are many people who join the Forums who weren't born when Diana married in 1981 and yet found this board (and other avenues) to learn more about her.

Its the same reason that I am have an interest in Queen Victoria and her family while others have an interest in Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Grace, Queen Marie of Romania etc. to name a just a few. Heck, there was enough of an interest (or rather a story) for movies to be made on Queen Elizabeth I.

In all likelihood, there will not be the same number of people who watched her televised funeral or came to London to put flowers in front of Kensington Palace but she will generate some interest.

If and when William becomes King, based on whatever happens with the media will also generate a lot of interest in his mother as I am sure the press will no doubt rehash a ton of Diana stories. And if that happens 40 to 50 years from now, she will in no doubt be introduced to another generation of people.

It could be interesting in 40 or so years if Camilla has been consort for say 20 years as many people will associate her with Charles as his wife and I would assume that some might even assume the she is William's mother so it will be interesting to see how Diana is presented.

I won't be alive then so I won't see it but it will be interesting.

I highly doubt that would happen. Though the thought is hilarious.

I doubt that as well.

While William has affection and clearly cares for Camilla, he and Harry also mention their mother quite often in the public. Also, from what I have observed.....Camilla is very sensitive about the Diana mother situation as well. Just as Charles as quick to point out that he cares for Tom and Laura, he respects the fact that they too have a father. Recognizing that there is a big difference with Andrew Parker Bowles being very much alive.

And while you might not be here (heck me either!)....I am sure there will be plenty of Diana fans out there who make sure that it is not forgotten that Diana is Wiliam's mother and not Camilla.

Last edited:
There will be however an entire generation who will have grown up with Camilla as the wife of Charles and could make the assumption that the wife of the King is also the mother of the future King.

The princes do refer to their mother but they don't use her name but say 'Mummy' so it isn't clear, if you don't know, that they aren't referring to Camilla.

In 30 - 40 years time when Charles and Camilla have celebrated 20+ years as King and Queen for young people to make that assumption - people here won't but others could easily do so - they will be set right if they ask but many mightn't.

It reminds me of something that happened 500 years ago - Elizabeth I had been Queen for about 40 years when she was travelling through London and a man in the crowd was heard to say 'My God - the Queen is a woman!' - strange comment afterall those years but it shows how people's minds work - the obvious to many isn't as obvious to others so I am sure that in time some people will assume that William is Camilla's son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily Diana fans. It's simply a fact of history.:flowers:

I am sure there will be plenty of Diana fans out there who make sure that it is not forgotten that Diana is Wiliam's mother and not Camilla.

There will be however an entire generation who will have grown up with Camilla as the wife of Charles and could make the assumption that the wife of the King is also the mother of the future King.

The princes do refer to their mother but they don't use her name but say 'Mummy' so it isn't clear, if you don't know, that they aren't referring to Camilla.

In 30 - 40 years time when Charles and Camilla have celebrated 20+ years as King and Queen for young people to make that assumption - people here won't but others could easily do so - they will be set right if they ask but many mightn't.

It reminds me of something that happened 500 years ago - Elizabeth I had been Queen for about 40 years when she was travelling through London and a man in the crowd was heard to say 'My God - the Queen is a woman!' - strange comment afterall those years but it shows how people's minds work - the obvious to many isn't as obvious to others so I am sure that in time some people will assume that William is Camilla's son.
Are you really equating....no never mind...:bang:

It's pretty obvious that ,at the very least, due to there being a photographic and news record as well as DNA that the heir (minus one) to the throne is not likely to be mistaken as being Camilla's child. I also think, given the age of both Camilla and Charles, that it's highly doubtful that a whole generation will have grown up with Charles and Camilla married, let alone on the throne. Given QEII's age, as well as QEQM's life span, that the chances of Charles inheriting anytime in the next 10-15 years is infinitesimal, let alone them ruling decades.

the obvious to many isn't as obvious to others so I am sure that in time some people will assume that William is Camilla's son.

And then they will learn that she isn't. The next generation is going to know who Wiliam and Harry are and their history. It seems unlikely that people will all of sudden forget about Diana and think Camilla is William's mother. Especially since there is so much footage documenting his life in the 80s and 90s.
My god marilyn has been gone since the 60s but she's still talked about to this very day. Today I walked into Barnes and Nobles and she was on the front cover of Life Magazine. John Lennon, Grace, and Audrey even Greta Garbo have died years before Diana; and yet they are still remembered till this very day. It shall be the same for Diana.

Diana was glamorous and controversial and that usually means years of memory. I think as the years go by and William marries and has children (and also Harry), and when he presumably eventually ascends the throne, there will be more reminders of Diana than they are now. Camilla will eventually be more forgotten by history than Diana, IMO, since Diana was a beauty and her life was an unfinished ending, and also since future generations of the RF will be mainly Diana's descendents.

Eventually Camilla will become somewhat like Princess Lillian of Sweden or the Princesse de Rethy in Belgium (also a Lilian), since her descendants won't be on the throne. At best she'd be a beloved auntie/granny figure. But Diana will be a king's eternally youthful mother, probably, someday.

:previous:
A better example than the two Lilians would be Queen Fabiola, the consort.

Whatever the case, people have different interests and so will focus on different personalities from among the large cast of royal figures. Different aspects will appeal to different people, whether it be the tragedy of Diana's death, Camilla's acceptance as Queen Consort (yet to be determined) or the final years of Elizabeth II's reign when she may assume a mantle similar to that of Queen Victoria (also yet to be determined).

In other words, it's not a competition and there's plenty for everyone in the royal panoply, past, present and future.

And then they will learn that she isn't. The next generation is going to know who Wiliam and Harry are and their history. It seems unlikely that people will all of sudden forget about Diana and think Camilla is William's mother. Especially since there is so much footage documenting his life in the 80s and 90s.
Quite a few youngsters already seem under the impression that William & Harry are Charles & Camilla's children.
My god marilyn has been gone since the 60s but she's still talked about to this very day. Today I walked into Barnes and Nobles and she was on the front cover of Life Magazine. John Lennon, Grace, and Audrey even Greta Garbo have died years before Diana; and yet they are still remembered till this very day.
Possibly in the USA, not here in Britain, IMO. If you ask most youngsters about Greta Garbo (Who), Marilyn Munroe (who) Grace Kelly or Princess Grace (Who), Hepburn (Who), Lennon (wasn't he a pop star hundreds of years ago), so IMO, celebrity is more an American problem. Diana drew the response of - 'umm, wasn't she the one that died with her boyfriend or something', so time has moved on for many.

It reminds me of something that happened 500 years ago - Elizabeth I had been Queen for about 40 years when she was travelling through London and a man in the crowd was heard to say 'My God - the Queen is a woman!'
bertie you are a scream! Wherever did you find that gem, it's simpy priceless. :ROFLMAO:
- strange comment afterall those years but it shows how people's minds work - the obvious to many isn't as obvious to others so I am sure that in time some people will assume that William is Camilla's son.
You are absolutely correct on this. Perception is everything and, some time in the distant future, probably when William becomes the heir, or whatever, the entire family tree will be up there for all to see, and more than a few will be scratching their heads and saying "hmm, fancy that, oh yes I remember now". :blink: :huh:

Needless to say none of the members of this board will be among them! :D

I agree about the American/ British differences with celebrity. That's always important to keep in mind. Diana certainly knew her appeal to Americans and liked America, for sure. Given how celebrity is in America (WHY are people like John and Kate and Spencer and Heidi celebrities anyway???), in some ways I would call it a problem.

I highly doubt people will think that William is Camilla's son. Camilla will always be referred to as Charles wife and his step-mother in the media. Plus, any major event regarding William and Harry will always garner a mention of Diana. However, I do not think Diana will be as big as Elvis or Marilyn, at least not in the UK. I think Camilla will be a popular Queen, and I do think she will be Queen, and be a central part of the Royal Family. IMO, she will not outlive Charles, so she will die a central part of the royal family rather than a Queen Fabiola or Princess Lilian character.

I would hope that the British people would remeber Diana in some other way then the one who did in the car carsh....with the boyfirend. She is the mother of a future King after all...

I think its a little quick to say that forty or fifty years from now, there will be little or no interest in Diana.

And for proof you need to look no further than this board. There are many people who join the Forums who weren't born when Diana married in 1981 and yet found this board (and other avenues) to learn more about her.

Its the same reason that I am have an interest in Queen Victoria and her family while others have an interest in Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Grace, Queen Marie of Romania etc. to name a just a few. Heck, there was enough of an interest (or rather a story) for movies to be made on Queen Elizabeth I.

In all likelihood, there will not be the same number of people who watched her televised funeral or came to London to put flowers in front of Kensington Palace but she will generate some interest.
I have always felt the reason the Diana is still covered and talked about as much at the moment is that there really is no one in the Royal Family that can take her place as a sure way to sell papers. For whatever reason the general public have never been that interested in Edward and Sophie and Charles and Camilla are a mature couple who are obviously not going to be adding to their family. So until William and Harry marry and start families Diana is really all they have got. When the Princes do have their own families I think that Diana will no longer be front and centre in the media but become like other deceased members of the royal - an important part of history.

If and when William becomes King, based on whatever happens with the media will also generate a lot of interest in his mother as I am sure the press will no doubt rehash a ton of Diana stories. And if that happens 40 to 50 years from now, she will in no doubt be introduced to another generation of people
I think that it will depend on when he becomes King. If it were to happen in the next few years then yes I can see Diana being brought into the mix but if it is 20/30 years time then not so much. I'm sure she will be mentioned but nothing like the headlines she would get now. They will be a whole new generation of Royals for the press to cover by then, William's wife and children, Harry's wife and children - maybe even the York Princesses and their families and there will be a whole generation of people who will know little of Diana other than she was William's mother who died 30/40 years ago.

I do think that people will always know that Camilla isn't William's mother, however imo there will be people one day who won't be able to tell you who his mother was or if they can tell you her name but nothing else about her. Those who have an interest in Royalty will always remember her but the rest of the world will move on.

And for proof you need to look no further than this board. There are many people who join the Forums who weren't born when Diana married in 1981 and yet found this board (and other avenues) to learn more about her..
And yet on this board how many are from Britain? If you visit other forums, it is the same old, same old, posting under a host of names, (there are those who use the same name but have no idea that many use a different name and can see everything they write about them. :D).

I have no doubt there will always be some, mainly in the US, who will cling to the 'Diana will never be forgotten', but in reality people move on and focus on other celebs and that if anything is how Diana will be remembered, not as a young woman who married into the royal family.

I have no doubt there will always be some, mainly in the US, who will cling to the 'Diana will never be forgotten', but in reality people move on and focus on other celebs and that if anything is how Diana will be remembered, not as a young woman who married into the royal family.

You'll probably be right in a few years, Skydragon. But for now, I think people are still well attached to Diana and the image brought on by the media; this "love affair" book that Valéry Giscard d'Estaing wrote made some sensation here.:lol:

And yet on this board how many are from Britain? If you visit other forums, it is the same old, same old, posting under a host of names, (there are those who use the same name but have no idea that many use a different name and can see everything they write about them. :D).

Just because people move on doesen't mean she's going to be forgotten; and her name won't be remembered. She has a sizable fanbase not only in the U.S. but in Great Britain and around the world.

This is just another topic that some of us will have to agree to disagree.

You'll probably be right in a few years, Skydragon. But for now, I think people are still well attached to Diana and the image brought on by the media; this "love affair" book that Valéry Giscard d'Estaing wrote made some sensation here.:lol:
A passing mention here. We had the outraged at such a suggestion, the 'I'd believe anything of her', the deluded old man and collapsed in a heap of laughter responses! The story was dead the following day! :ROFLMAO::D

:lol: True but he's actually doing a tour of all French TV sets and channels… Quite some publicity for him and his book.

Just because people move on doesen't mean she's going to be forgotten; and her name won't be remembered. She has a sizable fanbase not only in the U.S. but in Great Britain and around the world.

This is just another topic that some of us will have to agree to disagree.

As a Princess Diana fan my one wish was that she rest in peace. I think this is starting to happen. But, just because people move on doesn't mean she will be forgotten. Diana, Princess of Wales will live on in her sons and what they both will do for Great Britain. Her boys are her legacy to the people of Great Britain and the world.

So as Sirhon said this is just another topic that some of us will have to agree to disagree on.:);):)

A passing mention here. We had the outraged at such a suggestion, the 'I'd believe anything of her', the deluded old man and collapsed in a heap of laughter responses! The story was dead the following day! :ROFLMAO::D

Skydragon thank you for this news. I hate how Diana, Princess of Wales is a cash cow for just about anyone who was near her during her life. Thanks!:);):)

She was a cash cow for the media in her lifetime too. Not much has changed.

Hmm . . . . being a "cash cow" is a hell of a legacy. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom