The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many books and how many times is Diana's story going to be written about and still generate any interest?
Everyone should let the woman rest in peace and move on. I am surprised anyone can still find a publisher to publish yet another angle to the story.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I know it's quite shocking people are still going at it. I'm thinking though people are beginning to lose interest, thankfully, I don't know what else can be said to be honest that hasn't already been said.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Nobility

Well, there are good ways and bad ways of commemorating Diana. This is one of the bad ways. Obviously, she still sells books or they wouldn't be published. I'm sure there will be more books about her in the years to come, hopefully more positive ones. Someone always manages to find a new angle.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

^Yes, I agree. I really hate seeing negative books about her, not saying she was perfect but I think it's best in the long run if we remember the good things she did rather then her bad traits.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Nobility

Well, the books about her death with regards to conspiracy theories are not only negative, but inaccurate. I guess it's the inaccurate books I have the greatest issues with.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I know what you mean I've never bought any book related to her death, since most if not all of them seem to focus mainly on promoting the conspiracy theories.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Dianas Landmine Legacy Squandered Says Burns Winner (from Sunday Herald)
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^Yes, I agree. I really hate seeing negative books about her, not saying she was perfect but I think it's best in the long run if we remember the good things she did rather then her bad traits.

As a history teacher I couldn't disagree more.

A biography of any person must cover both the good and bad of the person otherwise it isn't a biography but a simple book of praise.

Take your comment to its logical conclusion then we can't write a criticism of Henry VIII or any other person.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not say ignore her bad traits of course we have to accept them, we can't deny it everyone has flaws in someway. I'm just saying sometimes I personally feel that alot of the good she did do in the time she was around seems to have been forgotten about to some extent because of all the information alot of it being negative that has come out in the last few years. Sorry mods I know I've caused the discussion to go somewhat off topic.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
This is fabulous news and a fantastic effort.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

That's 1 000 000 potential lives and/or limbs saved. Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
This is fabulous news and a fantastic effort.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Interesting that the 2 articles put a different spin on the story.

I am heartened, however, that some celebrities and royals, such as Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, have continued to work with this worthwhile cause.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Nobility

I think there was negative info about her available in her lifetime too. There were people then who certainly weren't Diana supporters. Obviously in books published after someone dies, there can be even more mention of their negative traits than in books published in their lifetime, it seems. I don't see books with regards to conspiracy theories and her death so much as being negative but rather just sad, and defintely inaccurate.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Ya I agree with you, the books related to the conspiracy theories are definitely sad, annoying and just plain inaccurate.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 AM

will she is the mother of the future king of England....so maybe there will be a place in history..for now she is on the cover of magazines and there are so many books about her..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As a history teacher I couldn't disagree more.

A biography of any person must cover both the good and bad of the person otherwise it isn't a biography but a simple book of praise.

Take your comment to its logical conclusion then we can't write a criticism of Henry VIII or any other person.
I couldn't agree more!

Wilst I accept the old adage of "Never speak ill of the dead", I think they meant family members.

Diana is history and history reflects the bias of the writer. However, in the 20th century we were blessed or cursed with an explosion of technology that meant there is more than enough print and elctronic media to research. It is an exceptional author who can actually overcome personal opinion although a lot give it a good shot,

Wiith the resources available it is unforgivable to "gloss over" the unpalatable truths because they are out their in cyberspace for anyone to see.

Books written with an "agenda" can never be taken at face value or you allow your perceptions to be manipulated.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I definitely think that there'll be a place in history for her. She had an impact in her day; and once the celebrity aspect of her fame is gone, she'll be remembered for the effect she had--for good or for bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_bee View Post
will she is the mother of the future king of England....so maybe there will be a place in history..for now she is on the cover of magazines and there are so many books about her..
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Right but I've never been one to gloss over anything like that, although I'm one of those people who has always tried to see the best in people. Actually I've probably done alot of horrible thing in my life too, actually I think we all have. No one is perfect in life everyone screws up somehow at some point that's just human nature. What I originally meant though with my comment is sometimes I feel now with everything that has gone on and how much time has elapsed I think people tend to forget the good things she did do. And I'm sure I'll get people who will say that oh her time for appreciation has come and past and while that may be true, I'm again one of those people who tend to want to remember people as often as possible and not let theyre memory be extinguished. I think that might be because I too have dealt with sudden losses as well so that's probably why I feel that way. Ok wow that was so long I did not mean for it to be that long.

Again mods I am so sorry for going off topic.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I understand what you mean, and I agree with you; except that I think that she will be remembered for the good that she did. For one thing, there are so many things named after her.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I agree - covering the good and bad is the first step to instigate some distance with the subject. Moreover, I believe the conspiracy books, as cheap and crazy as they can be, have a role in establishing a status in History. For me, even as a complete stranger to an event, you are still involved in it because it happened during your lifetime. And if as a historian, you choose to study Ancient Greece, you still make the choice according to your likings or interests. So from the start, the distance is difficult to maintain. Measuring the good and the bad is, I think, the only adequate alternative to get close to something objective or at least keep your distance.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana