The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Technology isn't the answer to all of humankind's problems.

There are already devices that stop a person starting a car if alcohol is detected on their breath, but that collision could have occurred even if Paul hadn't been drinking. He was driving too fast and was responding inappropriately to an inappropriate outside stressor, i.e. speeding to try to get away from the pursuing pests with camera flashlights.

Anyone who agrees to be a passenger in a vehicle being driven by another puts their life in that other person's hands.

All you can do is provide people with vehicles with working safety features like seat belts, and hope the driver doesn't drive too fast and hope the passengers wear the seat belts.
You make some excellent points.

DPOW technology could tell the car to go at the legal speed limit. The folks wanting her picture would have been avoided with tinted windows. Video cameras already saw who Diana was with prior to the accident as we have now all seen. Perhaps purchasing pictures from the video feed is safer for all.

Diana's legacy can also be technology that assures the safety of Royal families when passengers in any car that communicates with DPOW technology.

Please share your thoughts too.

Peace,

E-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that I have to vote for not mingling royalty and celebrity. Royalty stands for tradition and constancy, whereas celebrity is something that comes and goes with people's whims.
:-(lol)

Agree.

Can blur fantasy with serious issues. Though Royals can still be fun and engaging. Privacy is a serious issue when trying just to be.

Peace,

E-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
To answer the earlier question what did Diana want? I assume they meant what did she want her legacy to be? I would assume her sons and her charity work, would have been the answer could she have answered that question.
Did Diana want peace in life not death?

What can be built that will assure such choices are honoured in the future?

Peace,

E-T

Quote:
"Celebrity cults." Yes, that's about it. Sometimes I think that today's obsession with celebrity is like the Greco-Roman ruminations about their gods and goddesses: they weren't about having a good/ethical lifestyle and concern for others--they were entertaining stories about sex and super-human deeds. The sex is still there in regard to the cult of celebrity, but the super-human acts have been replaced with unnaturally good looks and our-tongues-hanging-out-with-envy lifestyles. And, oh yes, there's the voyeuristic enjoyment of watching someone else's tragedy.

need to read hamlet again to come up with some great quote.

Perhaps we can learn from "tragedy" and learn how "tragedy" is turned around for a happy ending.

Peace,

E-T

Old 03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Nobility

I think Diana wanted peace in life and death, certainly. All her life was a quest for peace, if you see it that way. I think she believed ( and she had no reason to believe otherwise) that she would find her peace in life. But that wasn't to be, instead she found her peace in death, although her memory and legacy haven't been exactly peaceful with regards to the inquiries and allegations about her death. But those things, the inquiries and allegations, seem to be over.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

"Peace" is the last thing I would associate with anyone who publicly vowed "not to go quietly".
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
"Peace" is the last thing I would associate with anyone who publicly vowed "not to go quietly".

When i sit on the throne i am not quiet either. This may not be appropriate.

Let's focus on how we can help so this does not happen to others. Would the choice to interact with the car have offered Diana the choice to set the speed as a passenger of the hired car?

Peace,

E-T
Quote:
I think Diana wanted peace in life and death, certainly. All her life was a quest for peace, if you see it that way. I think she believed ( and she had no reason to believe otherwise) that she would find her peace in life. But that wasn't to be, instead she found her peace in death, although her memory and legacy haven't been exactly peaceful with regards to the inquiries and allegations about her death. But those things, the inquiries and allegations, seem to be over.
Is it now time to think of solutions and utilize the information to make safer choices for passengers in hired cars?

Peace,

E-T
Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Nobility

I think Diana vowed not to go quietly with regards to her divorce and how the RF (perhaps) and some of Charles's supporters ( defintely) dubbed her a ''loose cannon. She wasn't going to let them win, she wanted to be Queen of People's Hearts. But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Commoner

Good lord

Quote:
I think Diana vowed not to go quietly with regards to her divorce and how the RF (perhaps) and some of Charles's supporters ( defintely) dubbed her a ''loose cannon. She wasn't going to let them win, she wanted to be Queen of People's Hearts. But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.

good lord how embarrassing ... foot out of mouth. Oh i feel awful oh how embarrassing and for all the world to see ... what to do?

All the personal issues will not help make the most of a life that dedicated herself to the people of the UK and those that appreciated her fine qualities. For me it was her commitment to work with men for peace.

After 2011 our crew will continue our work on some thoughts designd to keep people happy. i think there is room for DPOW to assure people get to where they want to go in good heath.

Peace,

E-T
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.
Peace can only be found if you look into yourself, it's not somewhere out there to be found.

At the time of her death, she was old enough to have learned that. There are plenty of famous people living in the public eye but not live for their public image. The last two months of her life was frantic. According to Paul Burrell's account, she was in St Tropez one day, back to KP and packing up for trip to Bosnia next day, and another trip as soon as she got back from Bosnia. It was as if she was living life of an escaped convict on the run, not a person at peace with herself.

For all technology can do, there is no one who should be more careful of his/her own safety than themselves.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Nobility

Defintely, she wasn't at peace with herself. The circumstances of her death say that well enough. Indeed, it was the company she kept at the time of her death ( Al Fayed) who continued to disturb her peace in death ( with regards to her memory) years after her death. But, it was only one year after her divorce, I think she needed more time to find peace for herself, and within herself.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

I firmly believe that at the time of her death Diana was coming into her own, and while she may not have been completely at peace (who really is?), I think she was at the most at peace she had ever been. We must remember she had a tumultous childhood, a marriage that just didn't work for multitudes of reasons, etc.... She had always been someone's daughter or someone's wife. She had finally found her niche, her place, and her own identity. She still needed more time to find her path, but I've always felt she was well on her way.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Nobility

It's hard to know. I think a year was too soon to say one way or the other. Until her divorce and split from the Royal Family, there were defintely loose ends in her life that precluded finding peace within herself, and it's anybody's guess if her outside life with all the press coverage was ever going to get peaceful. I think her '' Time and Space'' speech in 1993 was an attempt to find peace both within herself and in her public life, but it was too soon for either. Diana's legacy is a mixed one, and one wonders how she will be remembered say in 2097 when it will be a 100 years since her death. We are only eleven and half years removed now from her death.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am going from memory here, and I may have the sequence wrong, but I recall reading that towards the end of that last summer Diana found herself at home with a week to spare; some plan had fallen through. But Diana seems to have had the need to make plans to go away to fill in that blank in her calendar before the boys came back from wherever they were. I have a feeling it might have been the ill-fated trip with Dodi that she chose to do in that time, but I am not certain without referring to my books which I can't do just now but will if necessary.

Whatever it was that she did, it struck me as very sad that she felt the need to always be away from home doing something. I would have thought that a person at peace with herself and content with her own company would have welcomed the opportunity to spend a week quietly at home making plans for the rest of the year, or just reading or relaxing in some other way.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmmm....I'd disagree with that. I think that part of Diana's problem was that she looked into herself too much. She constantly saw therapists and various new-age gurus. She didn't find peace there.

Quote:
Peace can only be found if you look into yourself, it's not somewhere out there to be found.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think you're right. She had a free week and M Al Fayed had offered her a vacation to her and her sons. Al Fayed was a friend of her father's.

Quote:
I am going from memory here, and I may have the sequence wrong, but I recall reading that towards the end of that last summer Diana found herself at home with a week to spare; some plan had fallen through.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am going from memory here, and I may have the sequence wrong, but I recall reading that towards the end of that last summer Diana found herself at home with a week to spare; some plan had fallen through.
Yes, you are referring to a planned trip with designer Lana Marks. Lana gave an interview in which she mentioned cancelling their planned trip in the last week of August due to death of Lana's father.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Hmmmm....I'd disagree with that. I think that part of Diana's problem was that she looked into herself too much. She constantly saw therapists and various new-age gurus. She didn't find peace there.
From what I can remember, there was one legitimate therapist saw her briefly in early 1980's for anorexia and another legitimate one in mid-1990's for bulimia. The bulk of the gurus falls into what I would call confidence peddlers, con artists lampooning entertainment as therapy. From the these peddlers' wrote in their books, they told Diana what she wanted to hear: what's wrong with the other people in her life (in the sense that they were obstructions to Diana's plans) and what her future could have been. Checking Saturn's alignment to the Sun isn't what most people would consider introspection.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Nobility

A life in the limelight may have it's offshoots towards enlightenment and I think it is due to Diana that her memory lives with regard and sensitivity as she attracted awareness of the viewing audience. That feat is no small order and I personally was in awe of her presence when being occasioned by her presence looking at the news and what not. The persistence to draw empathy from us all and keep dedicating her energy for a greater good leaves me to question the naysayers. How I ask myself will people disregard a person with her proven worth as a philanthropist and good natured soul. She is shunned as of late and it baffles and disappoints why people would prefer to not acknowledge that she did earn the attention and notoriety of an intelligent society. Times do change and impressions are subject to individual opinion but I lived to remember her as a phenomena and a beautiful Royal I grew up looking at. Times have changed though and she isn't exposed to us like before but I think she should always be regarded as a healthy contributor to the World.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I wasn't talking about the legitimate therapists so much, Incas. I was thinking more about the idea that somehow the answers to all of life's problems are found within ourselves. What if we ourselves are the problem? (That's a rhetorical question, by the way.)

But yes, consulting the planets is hardly introspection, as you put it so well.

Quote:
From what I can remember, there was one legitimate therapist saw her briefly in early 1980's for anorexia and another legitimate one in mid-1990's for bulimia.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Commoner

What can be learned?

Much time is spent on what happened. The loss of a mother.

What can be done to help other people from losing their mother to a car accident?

Can advanced technology with some heart offer more choices for the passenger?

Much of the content hear is coming from the heart. Building with heart is good too.

Peace,

E-T
Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Nobility

It's true she and Fergie consulted psychics, astrolgers, '' therapists'' ( mostly not the legitimate sort)and the like etc who were harmless but not perhaps helpful. They told her what she wanted to hear. She was defintely seeking answers to her life there, at least, but not really in a constructive way. I don't know how introspective of a person Diana was. She did want to be always on the move, but I think if her sons had been there (on that occasion) she might not have been on the move so much.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 PM

I believe that Diana was no different than any other famous people. She had her good points, she had her bad points. Like it or not, she did a lot for people. It was by her choice to do good things. You can point out her bad as long as you equally point out her good. She will always be remembered as one of the most famous people in history. I believe her funeral showed that people loved and admired her.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana