The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Pranter, M Payton and Osipi..great posts and observations. Totally agree with your words
I agree Missjersey that these posters have summed up exactly what I believe regarding the BRF and introducing new members to royal life. I believe that Sophie, Camilla and Kate have all benefited from this new policy. I also believe that other European royal families have opted for a gradual introduction for their new consorts too after observing what their UK counterparts encountered in the 1980's and 1990's. IMHO Diana would have also supported this type of slower introduction for William and Harry's spouses. Should Harry and Meghan announce their engagement in the coming weeks/months, I sincerely hope that Meghan will also have a gradual introduction to her royal life and duties. It is far better to establish their relationship as husband and wife before being handed a busy schedule of royal duties IMHO.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Or simply...marry in haste, repent at leisure.....as trite as that is.

LaRae

I don't think there's any chance that we'll see a return to the tragedy that was Diana and Charles. Their boys have seen to that. We must wait, now, to see what is the Royal marriage format when it's George and Charlotte's turn.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I wonder if Diana had gotten more support she wouldn't of gotten so sucked into the attention from outside sources. A shame she couldn't of had more of a Kate-like introduction to working life in the BRF after marriage.

LaRae
But a problem with that was she married the heir to the throne. He was already a full time working royal with a busy schedule. It worked for William and Kate because they were in a different position.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
So, then, I think perhaps part of Diana's legacy is a lesson in "how not to make a royal marriage". Its also a lesson to the everyday couple too. Look before you leap.
Exactly so. And as others have mentioned, her most powerful legacy can be seen in how William defends Kate, especially the willingness to go to court and sue. William's willingness to be litigious, as with the French photos, has changed the pap landscape. The line of cause-and-effect cannot be more clear from Diana to William in this regard.

We can also see it in Harry, though it took him two previous girlfriends to realize how proactive he needed to be with just a girlfriend (not yet engaged/married). Learning curve there.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
I don't think there's any chance that we'll see a return to the tragedy that was Diana and Charles. Their boys have seen to that. We must wait, now, to see what is the Royal marriage format when it's George and Charlotte's turn.
I agree...very unlikely (thank God) to see that repeated. I think they will be more like what we are seeing now for years and years to come.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
But a problem with that was she married the heir to the throne. He was already a full time working royal with a busy schedule. It worked for William and Kate because they were in a different position.
Yes I know there is a difference in status at the time...I still think things could of been handled very differently.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Exactly so. And as others have mentioned, her most powerful legacy can be seen in how William defends Kate, especially the willingness to go to court and sue. William's willingness to be litigious, as with the French photos, has changed the pap landscape. The line of cause-and-effect cannot be more clear from Diana to William in this regard.

We can also see it in Harry, though it took him two previous girlfriends to realize how proactive he needed to be with just a girlfriend (not yet engaged/married). Learning curve there.
Yes exactly. The media poisoned the well for decades to come with the BRF.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes exactly. The media poisoned the well for decades to come with the BRF. LaRae
You misunderstood my point: it was Diana's legacy (not the media's) that I was addressing. It is because of Diana and her interactions with the press, both sought and un-sought, that has impacted what is tolerated now regarding the press and royal spouses. It was not the media (per se) that 'poisoned the well', but the unholy alliance the media forged with their media-darling Diana and her complicity in that whole scenario (unwittingly initiated by Charles himself).

Watch Kate last night in the most recent event: William is clearly (obliquely) attentive to Kate, but more significantly, Kate does not place herself outside of the sphere of William in the whole proceeding. She draws back, allows him pre-eminence in all interactions. She does not see the event as an opportunity to play to the crowd, or the cameras. This 'proper behavior' I see as a direct consequence of Diana. Her legacy is that no royal wife will ever grandstand as she did. (Understanding that Charles had a part in setting that ball rolling, unwittingly, and that there may be some class issues connected with Kate 'knowing her place' that didn't apply in the case of Diana who was seen as 'legitimate' class-wise).

Imagine if Diana had steadfastly refused to separate herself from Charles at all events (a bit as Camilla does now) how differently the whole thing would have gone down. (Not sure she could have done that btw, given Charles' view at the time). However, it is precisely because of the unintended consequences of that pov that we now see a very different spousal presence at events. That's an aspect of Diana's legacy.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Ah gotcha...and very true. That has always pretty much been how things have gone. Now and then she does precede him but not at formal events unless he directs her to do so.

LaRae

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana