The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Run for your life Gladys, most of the more prolific posters here have not a single thing positive or pleasant to say about Princess Diana... watch what happens next....
Right you are, dear scooter. It is in bad taste to write a positive post about the late Diana, Princess of Wales without acknowledging negative sides of her life. It comes as no surprise that Gladys has been given a lesson very fast.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

Okay. Let's not go down a personal road here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Commoner

Her legacy will be that she was an enormously popular and well-loved woman, who brought an awful lot of attention to the Royal Family. She popularized and then almost destroyed them. I think at the end she regretted the back-stabbing and treacherous behavior. History will treat Charles and the Royals more kindly than people currently do. She sank very low attempting to destroy him, and he never resorted to the same thing. Had she lived, I think they would have been better friends than they were while they were married. I always think that while Charles couldn't live with her, he'd have wanted her to live. She is the mother of two very popular, beloved sons, so she did manage to be a better mother than wife. Had she been able to accept the help she needed, she'd have been a fantastic person. She and Charles might have stayed together and things would have been very different now. I am pleased that Charles and Camilla are happy, because I like them very much, but perhaps a healthy Diana would have kept her husband and the story would have had a much happier ending for her as well. She had so much promise, but it just didn't turn out the way she wanted, and she was unable to understand that her own actions precluded it. All in all, she will be remembered fondly by many people. She gave us all pleasure for a brief time, and then she was gone. I think reality is better than the fairy tale the press so wanted to preserve. When they couldn't they attempted to destroy the Royal Family. They almost succeeded. They carry and will always carry a lot of the blame. The press and the people put her up so high that there was no place to go but down.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

This will not turn into another Charles/Camilla/Diana fight. Posts of this nature have been deleted.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
This will not turn into another Charles/Camilla/Diana fight. Posts of this nature have been deleted.

Thank you.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovian View Post
She was lovely wasn't she.
Indeed she was! I was always so jealous she could look good in a freaking burlap bag!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Jade View Post
t All in all, she will be remembered fondly by many people. She gave us all pleasure for a brief time, and then she was gone. I think reality is better than the fairy tale the press so wanted to preserve. When they couldn't they attempted to destroy the Royal Family. They almost succeeded. They carry and will always carry a lot of the blame. The press and the people put her up so high that there was no place to go but down.
I agree with your post Mara Jade. Diana, Princess of Wales will live in the memory to a lot of people.

The press almost destroyed the BRF, but they did help in the cause of her death.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
The press almost destroyed the BRF, but they did help in the cause of her death.
Blaming on the others what they are responsible of, right.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Commoner

i have posted this on other threads about Princess Diana.

It would be wonderful to build technology in her name that will assure what happened to her, her sons and family will not happen to others.

Technology can assure a car will not move from its spot unless it meets the requirements set out by the passenger. A personal body guard of sorts when the human in us is compromised.

Peace
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent post.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Technology can assure a car will not move from its spot unless it meets the requirements set out by the passenger. A personal body guard of sorts when the human in us is compromised.
In that case, the vehicle will be inmobilized in an emergency while the occupants attend to the "requirements", and photographers or attackers on the outside take their time to accomplish their own goals. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Commoner

What can be done to assure this does not happen again?

Some have encouraged technology that will offer the passenger some choices. Some suggestions have been to build technology that communicates with the cars CPU. This technology would listen to what the passenger wants when safely going from one destination to the next.

In this case the results of the findings from the automobile accident could be built into a device so to assure the passenger's choices are honored. This is a back up in case the body guard is incapacitate in some way from doing their job.

This is a start more thoughts will be required to assure this does not happen again to any Royal. Such thought can benefit others too.

Peace.

E-T

What did Diana want?

Peace,

E-T
Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Nobility

Her death was an accident, there's no way to prevent accidents, they happen. Moreover, she wasn't being driven by someone employed by her or the Royal Family, but by someone from the Al Fayed's. She was no longer under the kind of security protection offered to members of the Royal Family ( she didn't want it). If this had been an Royal Family or her own staff member driving drunk, yes it could be prevented in the future by being more cautious. But this would never happened had that been the case.

I think Diana's greatest legacy is her sons and eventually their descendents. Her blood will be in every monarch starting with William and after. Eventually, there won't be any Royal Family ( as the other branches get more minor and minor) that isn't descdended from her. She never lived to see that ( not that its come true yet). She also was one of a kind as a royal icon people can relate to- maybe she made royalty more relatable to ordinary folk or maybe not, but she will be remembered for merging royalty and celebrity into one. She was also beautiful, glamourous, and caring and will be remembered both as a fashion icon and as being devoted to good causes and wanting to help people- a unique mix.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Commoner

The questions was how can we utilize technology in our future to assure this does not happen again ... to anyone.

The care for Diana could be focused not so much on destruction rather constructive ways to assure we learn from this regrettable "accident".

Driving under the influence of alcohol seems to be a choice, that Diana had no choices over as passenger. How can we change this in our future so this can not happen again without taking away choices or stigmatising.

i know even after all these years this is very sensitive a topic.

Peace,

E-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
won't be .
:-(lol)

"To be or not to be ... " who asked this? Why?

Peace,

E-T
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
She also was one of a kind as a royal icon people can relate to - maybe she made royalty more relatable to ordinary folk or maybe not, but she will be remembered for merging royalty and celebrity into one. She was also beautiful, glamourous, and caring and will be remembered both as a fashion icon and as being devoted to good causes and wanting to help people- a unique mix.
Nicely said. When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down, this might indeed be Diana's true legacy. Merging royalty and celebrity is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
The questions was how can we utilize technology in our future to assure this does not happen again ... to anyone.

The care for Diana could be focused not so much on destruction rather constructive ways to assure we learn from this regrettable "accident".

Driving under the influence of alcohol seems to be a choice, that Diana had no choices over as passenger. How can we change this in our future so this can not happen again without taking away choices or stigmatising.
Technology isn't the answer to all of humankind's problems.

There are already devices that stop a person starting a car if alcohol is detected on their breath, but that collision could have occurred even if Paul hadn't been drinking. He was driving too fast and was responding inappropriately to an inappropriate outside stressor, i.e. speeding to try to get away from the pursuing pests with camera flashlights.

Anyone who agrees to be a passenger in a vehicle being driven by another puts their life in that other person's hands.

All you can do is provide people with vehicles with working safety features like seat belts, and hope the driver doesn't drive too fast and hope the passengers wear the seat belts.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that I have to vote for not mingling royalty and celebrity. Royalty stands for tradition and constancy, whereas celebrity is something that comes and goes with people's whims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Nicely said. When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down, this might indeed be Diana's true legacy. Merging royalty and celebrity is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Nobility

To answer the earlier question what did Diana want? I assume they meant what did she want her legacy to be? I would assume her sons and her charity work, would have been the answer could she have answered that question.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down
I don't believe they ever will, you only have to read some of the posts by the younger posters. Children tend to reflect their parents view and so it goes on and on and on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that I have to vote for not mingling royalty and celebrity. Royalty stands for tradition and constancy, whereas celebrity is something that comes and goes with people's whims.
As you might expect, I agree with you. Royalty should be above the here today, gone tomorrow celebrity cults. Celebrity panders to their audience, doing whatever they feel is needed to stay in the limelight, Royalty is normally above all of that.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

"Celebrity cults." Yes, that's about it. Sometimes I think that today's obsession with celebrity is like the Greco-Roman ruminations about their gods and goddesses: they weren't about having a good/ethical lifestyle and concern for others--they were entertaining stories about sex and super-human deeds. The sex is still there in regard to the cult of celebrity, but the super-human acts have been replaced with unnaturally good looks and our-tongues-hanging-out-with-envy lifestyles. And, oh yes, there's the voyeuristic enjoyment of watching someone else's tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Celebrity panders to their audience, doing whatever they feel is needed to stay in the limelight, Royalty is normally above all of that.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana