The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie View Post
I believe Anne Beckwith-Smith works for a prestigious art gallery in London. I imagine she's getting close to retirement, though-she is ten years older than Diana.
Yes, she is a fund raiser for Tate Modern. Hers is the one story I would love to read but I believe she will never write it....

Old 10-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Ummm Andrew Parker Bowles's second wife's name is Rosemary! She was his long term mistress that he married after his divorce from Camilla.
Hi everyone!

Regarding Virginia...I remember reading in a magazine an article and photo about Diana attending the wedding of Virginia. If I remember right, it stated that Virginia was the last of Diana's flatmates to marry and her new husband had a young son...there may have been more children, but I just cannot remember.

I know that I read it in either the Royalty or Majesty magazines and I remember that she as wearing the green and white dress that she wore on her arrival for her official visit to Nigeria with Charles, so it was before their separation.

That is all I can remember...if anyone has these magazines from about 1989 to 1992, you may be able to find the article.

Hope this helps!!

Lady Kare

Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Sunday Express...New role for Diana minder

FORMER policeman Ken Wharfe – the man who says he could have saved the Princess of Wales’s life if he had been in charge of her protection on her ill- fated trip to Paris – is putting his years of being a royal bodyguard to lucrative use in a new venture.Mr Wharfe, 59, who was by Diana’s side for six years and later looked after the Duke of Kent until he resigned from Scotland Yard, has set up a Belgravia-based business hiring out bodyguards to the rich and famous.He is recruiting former colleagues in the Metropolitan Police’s royal and diplomatic unit to provide private protection services, particularly aiming at the highly rewarded demands from Russian and Middle Eastern clients.“The idea is to have a database of people who are properly licensed and, depending on what demands are made on us, we can provide that individual,” Wharfe tells me. “Many of our clients operate in high-risk arenas where kidnap and assassination are a real threat. We know what to do in hostile situations because our agents have dealt with these sort of things in their careers.”Unfortunately his fledgling business has hit an early hitch. The name he has chosen for his enterprise, Diplomatic Services, has already been taken by a website offering rather more lurid services than Wharfe’s – www. diplomaticservices.org – is an adult movie site selling ***ographic DVDs.But Ken is no stranger to controversy. After 34 years in the police, he nearly forfeited his inspector’s pension for publishing a book about his time with the Princess. His writing collaborator, newspaper reporter Robert Jobson, is a director of the new security business.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

I think that ken Wharfe was the bodyguard who lasted the longest . He was also there when the private matters of the prince and princess of Wales marriage started to become public.
I think he finally left a few weeks after the panorama interview.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Barry Mannakee and Diana
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Courtier

Every royal usually gets 2 bodyguards, right?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Every royal usually gets 2 bodyguards, right?
I don't know for the others but Princess Diana only had one at the time except maybe on some rare occasions when the crowd was really dense or during a risky event abroad, other bodyguards could be assigned to protect her. The Queen probably has more than one due to her status but I can't tell you much more ...

Because it matters...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I don't know for the others but Princess Diana only had one at the time except maybe on some rare occasions when the crowd was really dense or during a risky event abroad, other bodyguards could be assigned to protect her. The Queen probably has more than one due to her status but I can't tell you much more ...
I think the princes both have 2...I read that somewhere...especially when they go to clubs. That has to be awkward for the guards...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's Men

During the inquest, Mr Mansfield made 'official' the presence of five men in Diana's lovelife but somehow took the liberty to add this scornful "and so on" at the end of the statement. The choice of naming these five men, Mannakee, Hewitt, Gilbey, Hoare, Carling ; marks the defense's will to involve them or at least include their personal stories with the Princess into a public matter.

Sophie Heawood: Diana's exes - the good, the bad and James Hewitt - Independent Online Edition > Commentators

Because it matters...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

although i don't see the need to have brought up these relationships during the inquiry, i also don't see the harm as all this was already public knowledge. as was mentioned in another thread, i just don't understand why all the men weren't mentioned.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Gentry

This whole naming of her lovers really has me irked. The lady is gone, and unless the lovers have anything to specifically do with the inquiry, they should have remained nameless. It shows a complete lack of respect for The Princess, and her sons. The "and so on" is really tacky. She wasn't a saint who took a vow of chastity, she was a woman, a human being.

I don't hear them naming Dodi's list of lovers, which I'm sure was much longer than hers. I am truly baffled by what purpose this served.

Sorry, I'll step down from my soapbox now.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

What's really amazing is that the "and so on" includes Mr Al-Fayed's son. Does it mean he doesn't need to be named because of his "minor" presence in Diana's life or because it's obvious that he was her lover? I don't know. What I don't agree with, is that these men will have to go through the whole thing again (press, scandals, rumors, etc.), all this because of a statement that was unnecessary to the progress of an inquest as such.

Because it matters...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

I agree let the poor thing go. Everybody has secrets! Do all these "investigators" want their "dirty laundry" aired in public? I had never thought about "them" having more curtesy over Dotys past.....but why am I surprised?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

but that's just it...none of this was a secret. it was all public knowledge. now if they'd outted someone then it would have been bad but all these names have already appeared in anything written about her. blame the authors who've written about her, blame her for making her affair with hewitt public, but don't blame the people that carrying out the inquiry.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

But what is the point of bringing up all of her past relationships with these men; will it prove that she was murdered or it was just an accident.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
But what is the point of bringing up all of her past relationships with these men; will it prove that she was murdered or it was just an accident.

That's what bothers me about this. The only relevant lover would be Hasnat Khan, as he was also a Muslim, if they truly had to bring up lovers. I firmly believe this is just additional icing on the cake to discredit Diana.

I don't believe that there was a conspiracy to kill Diana, but I do believe that there has been a campaign to discredit her since her marriage to Prince Charles started to fall apart.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicgrl View Post
That's what bothers me about this. The only relevant lover would be Hasnat Khan, as he was also a Muslim, if they truly had to bring up lovers. I firmly believe this is just additional icing on the cake to discredit Diana.
Why would Fayed's lawyers bring this up to discredit Diana? Why do you believe Fayed wants to do that?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

I guess I feel like they are just dragging her name through the mud. Like you say this is all public knowledge. I don't know, in reality, what has been said, I only know what is published in the American press. As has been said, she was a young, vibrant, and beautiful woman. Who was human. I just wish "they" would let her rest in peace. This is just my opinion, but I bet her sons wish that too...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Nobility

Time to vilify my favourite princess for whatever reason anyone may care to have. She cannot defend herself now against these allegations but if it serves their agenda to discredit her then nothing will stop them. Freedom minus discretion reigns.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with all of you. What purpose did it serve indeed, to drag her name over the coals like this? Poor woman. And you know what, it's not even proven that all these men were indeed her lovers! Especially Barry Manakee is/has been disputed, by his own colleagues at the time. (wonder what his poor wife, or all the poor wives of these alleged lovers think of this. I.e. the wife of Oliver Hoare for example. Who is still married to the guy..)

Bad form all around but I don't think there's some sort of conspiracy behind it all.

Tags
barry mannakee, bodyguards, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, extramarital affair, friends, hasnat khan, lady diana spencer, oliver hoare, princess diana