The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Duran Duran's Roger Taylor says his friend Princess Diana was just an ''ordinary'' person.

The 66-year-old musician became close to the British royal because she was a fan of the band in the '80s and said that she would often refer to the media storm that followed her - and led to her untimely death in 1997 - as being ''crazy''.
Read more: Roger Taylor | Roger Taylor: Princess Diana was real and ordinary | Contactmusic.com

Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Ouch, apparently Ken Wharfe (princess Diana's bodyguard) had it a go with almost every member of the royal family... I wonder if the palace will say something about that...

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...rejects-Royals

Old 12-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana's former bodyguard Ken Wharfe REJECTS Royals | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Courtier

I always heard it was the other way around. The royals shut the door on his opportunist-self. My, his grapes seem to be bitter.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

He, like Diana's former chef, makes a living out of invoking her name to the tabloids.

Like Miss Whirely said, the royals long ago cut ties with Wharfe. Just another bitter has been who likes to think he is relevant.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Ouch, apparently Ken Wharfe (princess Diana's bodyguard) had it a go with almost every member of the royal family... I wonder if the palace will say something about that...

Princess Diana's former bodyguard Ken Wharfe REJECTS Royals | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express
Where does he suppose Prince Andrew and the DOK should go? Aruba, Jamaica, Montego, Key Largo? He's a bit pompous, himself, isn't he?
Old 12-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I always heard it was the other way around. The royals shut the door on his opportunist-self. My, his grapes seem to be bitter.
Too true! Maybe. He may also be speaking truer than is comfortable.

However, it's not the royals he is pitching under the bus. He writes: “He was always a sly little boy, and now he’s become arrogant and spoilt. I hear from people who work for William that he can be very difficult." Or might he be claiming more informants than are real? I mean, who would have the time to casually seek out Ken Wharfe to do some bean-spilling? Though it could be 'palace gossip' he's really referring to, not to anything directly said to him.

Fact is, I suspect Ken Wharfe may be a bellwether, like him or not for his 'cashing in' on his royal connections (always the premier sin). Fact is, the Queen is reported to be a decent woman with her staff (as was the Queen Mother, all-in-all). Fact is, no matter what is said about Charles, he is reported to be a decent employer. In one book I read, even when Charles might lose his temper with an underling, he makes a point of apologizing and making it up to the person. That says something. Diana, sadly, did not have this respect towards those who served her. It is reasonable to suppose that William would have learned how to treat servants from his mother's lead. There may be gossip in the palace about how William is, that inevitably leaks out over pub drinks. [I doubt Wharfe has had personal conversations with those who work for the Cambridges. I think he's repeating palace gossip that has reached him by circuitous routes. JMO.]

One can respect the Queen because (among other things) she respects those who serve her in her position. One can respect Prince Charles, the heir, because he looks out for those he will one day rule (through his Prince's Trust) and shows respect (like does the Queen) for those who serve him in his position. How do you respect someone one finds out shows scant respect for those who personally serve them in their position?

If William is an unpleasant sort to work for, it will leak out, as it appears to be doing in this instance. Can anyone respect a monarch who's a genuine snob and boorish in his private life? Ken Wharfe is raising the question perhaps. It's a fair one, I think. Or is he stirring the pot? Either way, he's raised an interesting prospect.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Courtier

You reminded me of that survey they did a few years ago amongst palace workers, over which royal was the best to work for. They said Philip was by far the best to work for, that he showed the most appreciation. Camilla, Andrew, and Edward were ranked at the bottom. There was some not so nice things said about them.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

William, Harry and Kate employ less than the equivalent of 12 full-time staff. None of them from Wharfe's time.

Ken Wharfe hasn't work around the royals for years and years and even then it wasn't like he was a high level confident. He was a protection officer.

Like Diana's former chef who likes to believe he has all of this insider information, Wharfe is just a has been.

Anyone can say anything, Its always 'The people I talk to' sort of thing. Wharfe makes his living by doing this. He has to pretend to be important or otherwise tabloids won't interview him.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

There hasn't really been great turnover in the Cambridges staff at KP. Miguel, Rebecca, Nick have been there a long time. Jamie was there a long time too. If William was such a horrible person to work for why would they stay. William's RAF SAR coworkers always speak well of him. Even the cook at RAF Valley spoke well of him but not Harry.

To me, William has never come across as the spoilt prince who never lets you forget he is a prince.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There hasn't really been great turnover in the Cambridges staff at KP. Miguel, Rebecca, Nick have been there a long time. Jamie was there a long time too. If William was such a horrible person to work for why would they stay. William's RAF SAR coworkers always speak well of him.
The day is young. We are talking two years? Maybe three? Let's talk about longevity in the positions at ten years. But even if there was turn-over, especially initially, it would not signify imo. Turn-over happens for a whole raft of reasons. I'll bet staying on (and being loyal) has significant perks not worth throwing over easily. I also have reason to suspect that the Middletons (which includes Kate, of course) make the Cambridge Household a happy place to be.

Quote:
Even the cook at RAF Valley spoke well of him but not Harry.
What did he say about Harry?

Quote:
To me, William has never come across as the spoilt prince who never lets you forget he is a prince.
He for sure has a good public persona, more or less. He's worked on it over the years. It was not always smooth sailing, as I recall. He's only just developed a sense for the camera and how to present himself at all times. He has his mother's happy predisposition to engage and ingratiate on short acquaintance.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca and Miguel have been there for more than a couple of years. It's more like going on five. They were there for the wedding. Nick too. Miguel was the press guy before he became William's private secretary.

Link to RAF Valley cook bit

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...lliam--9376310

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Rebecca and Miguel have been there for more than a couple of years. It's more like going on five. They were there for the wedding. Nick too. Miguel was the press guy before he became William's private secretary.
From what I've read they had no servant help while they were in Wales. This seemed like it was a big deal, that they had no servants. Were we being lied to by the Daily Mail? The most I count is three years.

Thank you for the link, Skippyboo.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The no servants in Wales was household servants- housekeeper, maids, cooks etc. They had office staff at St James who then moved to KP. Jamie started working for the Princes in 2005. You can find photos of Miguel and Nick in their morning suits going to the Abbey on the morning of the wedding. Rebecca can be spotted in the footage of Kate going into the Goring the day before the wedding. All three have been with them for quite a while.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Courtier

Yeah, there is a big difference between private staff and office staff. William's been doing engagements since he graduated University. He went on his first solo royal tour in 2005. Of course he needed a press secretary as well as other advisors. If he was trying to hide his office staff he wouldn't have asked Jamie to be George's godfather.

William's known Rebecca since 2007 when she helped him organize The Concert for Diana.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Posts concerning the staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge should be made in the following thread:

Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Unsubstantiated and unverifiable claims from the media and other "sources" should be treated with caution and as hearsay. Could we remain on-topic please.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

The point is, and these claims always stir everybody up - we tend to believe who we want. But the fact of the matter is, we don't know them. Any of them. They all have public personas, and at time they don't match the private one. Maybe Princess X is a serial killer and has people buried in the backyard. Maybe Prince Y is an identity theft. Maybe Lady H, who everybody hates based on what they read, heals the sick.

Maybe Ken is out there just to make a buck. Maybe Ken is telling the absolute truth. Who knows? Flip a coin.

There is usually a hands-off approach to the sovereign and the direct line. Also demi-god like. We usually don't hear the truth - the good, the bad and the ugly until they've been dead a sufficient amount of of time.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Well, I want to comment on Wharfe's opinion of himself compared to the current staff. I'll hope that's considered on-topic.

I do think Wharfe is a bitter betty. He sees Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton got chosen as godfather to a future king, and Jamie's son being part of the royal wedding party.

He sees Catherine's office staff (Rebecca, Sophie Agnew) and her main protection officer (Emma Probert) all get described in the media as good friends of The Duchess.

And then he sees how the royals have kicked him to the curb 20 years ago with no acknowledgement.

The fact that 13-year-old William didn't care for Ken, yet 33-year-old William really likes his current staff, well the difference must be William's fault! Ken can't see how that could have been a character flaw on his own part.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...rejects-Royals

I agree with the part about "unless the family is seen achieving something the republican movement will become stronger" I don't think they can not just "be". While things like saving wild life etc are great causes they aren't the things that worry john smith in his daily life JMO
Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I agree with the part about "unless the family is seen achieving something the republican movement will become stronger" I don't think they can not just "be". While things like saving wild life etc are great causes they aren't the things that worry john smith in his daily life JMO
I'm a "Jane Smith", and the environment/wild life is my #1 concern. That's why I'm more interested in Charles' and William's charity work than the rest of the Windsors.

Tags
barry mannakee, bodyguards, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, extramarital affair, friends, hasnat khan, lady diana spencer, oliver hoare, princess diana