The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Majesty

Not even Diana every claimed that Camilla was in the marriage from Day 1 - she identified 1986 - the same year she went with Hewitt and the year after she was maybe with Mannekke as when Charles returned to Camilla.

Sadly some people think they know more than Diana and Charles about what happened in their marriage and although Charles doesn't give a date he does say 'after the marriage had irretrievably broken down, BOTH OF US HAVING TRIED'. To say he was cheating from Day 1 means that the marriage was irretrievably broken down from Day 1 and thus was never a marriage at all - but neither of them have ever made that claim.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Majesty

I just hate that the real love Diana & Charles shared was tarnished by all the drama.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I just hate that the real love Diana & Charles shared was tarnished by all the drama.
For a simple sentence with only just a few words to it, you've spoken volumes.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree. I believe that there was real affection there in the beginning. Up until the time they got involved with affairs (emotional as well as physical) there might have been hope for them. Neither of them should have talked about the marriage with outsiders. As the Queen Mother famously said, "It is never wise to talk about one's marriage." The problem as I see it was that Diana married a very public man who required a very public life. She took on the job of Princess of Wales (both in public and private terms) at a very young age and at a time when there was a tabloid war in process. Then she had her first baby--a male heir to the throne--within a year. For the most stable, educated woman on earth, the transition would have been difficult.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Diana herself tarnished that "love" if at all it was there. During the "war" she hardly gave any impression of love existing in the entire stretch of their relationship.
She describes all her confusion, frustration, reluctance to get married post-engagement, with a wonderful "lamb" theatric.
And makes a mockery of his every act during the honeymoon.. And then real "things" started right from when she was carrying William..
If she herself has degraded their marriage in every possible extent, hardly giving hint of any love (except when making harry), how can you expect the media and public to uphold and worship the "epic love C&D shared"
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Bless this post!!!!

Both Diana and Charles said the marriage was a happy one in the beginning. Problems really started after Harry was born (not saying because of the birth of Harry but giving an estimation of time).
The had a lot of things against them from the start; they barely knew each other, age difference, different interests and friends and of course the media attention/obsession with them.
Like most people they got along well at first but when they started having problems (like any marriage or relationship) they unfortunately did not deal with them the "right" , which only made things worse.
I have always believed that the marriage would have survived, even thrived, if they had known how to deal with their problems.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Diana herself tarnished that "love" if at all it was there. During the "war" she hardly gave any impression of love existing in the entire stretch of their relationship.
This is not the correct thread, but your post is accurate. Diana sometimes claimed that Camilla was a factor in the marriage from the beginning (i.e., when she claimed she wanted to call it off but her sisters said it was too late because her face was on the tea towels). Other times she acknowledged that the first few years were relatively happy and the affairs started in 1986.

The fact is that after the breakdown of the marriage, Diana viewed events that happened 10 years earlier through anger and hurt--and a desire to get back at her husband. The reason that any happiness in the marriage is being overshadowed is because Diana insisted on publicly denying the happiness ever happened.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 26m
Princess Diana's ex lover, James Gilbey, the man in the Squidgygate tapes, has finally married. He wed Lavinia Hadsley-Chaplin on Tuesday.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Princess Diana's squidgygate lover weds for the first time
Princess Diana's squidgygate lover weds for the first time | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I was reading an interview with Diana's older friend Lady Elsa Bowker in an old issue of ROYALTY. Bowker mentions a male friend that Diana was in love with for years and to whom Diana gave a pair of her father's cufflinks. The man gave Bowker the cufflinks in a small box with a letter and asked her to pass them on to Diana. Any idea who this man might have been? I wonder whether it might have been Oliver Hoare, because Bowker mentions that he had a family (i.e. a wife and kids).
Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The story of the cuff links rings bells with me as I'm sure I've read it somewhere before but for the life of me, I can't remember exactly who it was she gifted them to. My first inclination is to say Paul Burrell but I don't think that's right. I'd have to go through all my books relating to Diana again to find out.

Waitaminute... that's a good plan for this weekend. Maybe I'll dig them all out and reread them.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I was reading an interview with Diana's older friend Lady Elsa Bowker in an old issue of ROYALTY. Bowker mentions a male friend that Diana was in love with for years and to whom Diana gave a pair of her father's cufflinks. The man gave Bowker the cufflinks in a small box with a letter and asked her to pass them on to Diana. Any idea who this man might have been? I wonder whether it might have been Oliver Hoare, because Bowker mentions that he had a family (i.e. a wife and kids).
According to Sally Bedell Smith in Diana In Search Of Herself-Portrait Of A Troubled Princess, Elsa Bowker recalls that Diana gave her father's gold cuff links to Oliver Hoare and when Diana dropped him, he returned the cuff links together with a letter via Bowker to Diana. Diana had Burell collect the cuff links from Bowker. Bedell Smith also says Diana later gave the cuff links to Dodi Fayed.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the information, chrome. I suspected it was Oliver Hoare but hadn't read Sally Bedell Smith's book, at least not the section that dealt with Oliver Hoare.

Tags
barry mannakee, bodyguards, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, extramarital affair, friends, hasnat khan, lady diana spencer, oliver hoare, princess diana