The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Trevor Rees-Jones was not Dianas bodyguard, he was Dodi's.
Oh yes, you're right SkyDragon. Sorry for making a mistake. Well, my point of vue doesn't change. He would have told Dodi if he had found something strange. I mean, the idea of being almost killed in a car crash and being disfigured doesn't attract me at all .

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Aristocracy

Alan Peters always impressed me. In photos, he looked so alert and totally concentrated on his job. And he was so big; I would have found that comforting.
In the last picture in this series, he actually had to go into action when Diana was assaulted by a man in the crowd.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...oadlands-3.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...Apr18_NZ_c.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...83Apr22_NZ.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/1984Nov8.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...protecting.jpg

Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Gentry

I wondered about Trevor Rees-Jones but figured I was wrong. Even if he was Dodi's bodyguard in my opinion, boss or not, he should not have let them get in that car and allowed Henri Paul to drive like a madman. A professional bodyguard should not have allowed that!

Lily
Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Nobility

Then TR-J better have a great resume ready because he would be looking for a new job. Find me one employee who would countermand Al-Fayed (father or son).
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

All bodyguards seem to walk a tightrope. If they tell their charge they wouldn't advise them to do such and such, the charge can and often does ignore them. They then have to go along with whatever inappropriate action their charge undertakes, or lose their job.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

It depends on the position of the bodyguard.

Ken Wharfe, Diana's royal bodyguard, was an employee of Scotland Yard not of the Royal Family, so he could and did counteract his employer. He heavily criticizes Rees-Jones for not counteracting against al-Fayed but he doesn't realize that Rees-Jones was a private employee of the al-Fayeds and so had less leverage to go against his employers.

However, neither al-Fayed, Rees-Jones, or Henri Paul had ever had any experience of dealing with the kind of press madness that surrounded Diana. The only person in the car with that sort of experience and exposure to the types of security measures that would be effective was Diana herself.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Gentry

Trevor Rees-Jones should have at least insisted they fasten their seat belts.
I'm not blaming him (I blame Fayed and Dodi for their poor decision making that night), and the crash may still have happened, but with a different outcome.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenw View Post
Trevor Rees-Jones should have at least insisted they fasten their seat belts.
I'm not blaming him (I blame Fayed and Dodi for their poor decision making that night), and the crash may still have happened, but with a different outcome.
Do we know that he didn't? Or maybe he did tell them to wear seatbelts and they ignored him. But I read in the coroner's report that he didn't have his seatbelt on either so I don't know.

Ken Wharfe heavily criticized his actions that night and indicated he would have done things differently. I wonder what they were and if he had been Diana's bodyguard for a long time, I wonder why she didn't speak up when some of the security measures weren't up to what she was used to? However, maybe she did speak up and was ignored.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Gentry

That's true, ysbel, he may have asked them to put them on and they ignored him.

I guess we'll never know.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think he did ask them to put seat belts on. His attention was probably on the paparazzi near the car. Ysbel is right, he wasn't wearing a seat belt then. Actually he was kind of ejected from his place, that's why his face was so damaged. Experiences were made to see if the seat belt could have saved their lives. Some scientists said her heart wouldn't have stand the choc and it would have been the same thing. Some think otherwise. I don't know what to think, I'm not a doctor. When she was found she didn't seem to have internal wounds, only external like on her forehead. Rees-Jones seem, in fact, more alarming than her. He was screaming and holding his head. If they'd knew her internal injuries were so important they wouldn't have waited too long. But how could they possibly knew...

Because it matters...
Old 07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Courtier

I had read in one report that TRJ was the only one wearing a seat belt and that is why he is the only one that survived. True or not? I don't know. and at the time she was dating Dodi, she had already given up her personal security, which is why Dodi and his father supplied the body guards. who knows, if she had not given up her personal security, would they have noticed that the driver was intoxicated? Would they have insisted that she put on her seatbelt? Hard to say. But I think when she gave up her personal security, she made a huge mistake.

Does anyone know the name of the body guard that Diana had that was transferred and he was killed something like a month later in a motorcycle accident? I guess she "was supposed" to have had an affair with him, which was why he was transferred.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
Does anyone know the name of the body guard that Diana had that was transferred and he was killed something like a month later in a motorcycle accident? I guess she "was supposed" to have had an affair with him, which was why he was transferred.
I think that's Barry Mannakee. He was transferred for being (too) close of the Princess but I doubt it was made as an 'official' reason . I've never really thought about that relationship. I don't know very much about it too. Does anyone have more information ?

Barry Mannakee and Diana

Because it matters...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's one of those things where it depends on who you ask. Mind you, since Tina Brown seems to know in infinite detail what went on behind closed doors, perhaps we should ask her.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think it's one of those things where it depends on who you ask. Mind you, since Tina Brown seems to know in infinite detail what went on behind closed doors, perhaps we should ask her.
Lol, I'm sure I'll find more reliable info on Wikipedia . Tina Brown, no offense, is not someone I would trust .
BTW here's a link to some infos on Barry Mannakee by Wikipedia. As the text on him doesn't look very detailed, I doubt anyone could tell us more since he and Diana are dead and that gossips still remain as speculations.

Because it matters...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

This photo was taken a few moments after Diana had learnt by Charles that Barry Manakee was killed in a motorcycle accident. I don't know how she found the strength to smile and get out of the car.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily97 View Post
Well I can definately say who not and that would be Trevor Rees-Jones. He allowed those crazy antics to go on that fateful night!

If I were to pick a favorite I would say Barry Mannakee because I think that was her favorite and she trusted him the most. He was also there during the time when she probably needed someome to trust at the very beginning when she was feeling like a duck out of the water.

Lily
Trevor Rees-Jones was not ever bodyguard to Diana. He was employed by Mohamed Al Fayed to protect his son Dodi. Diana just happened to be part of Dodi's party, but Trevor's remit was to protect Dodi, NOT to act as bodyguard to Diana.

He was under direct orders from MAF and acted to the best of his ability according to firm and direct instructions from him alone - MAF even over-ruled his son's requests to change the situation.

The best way to understand this is to read the book The Bodyguard's Story by TRJ.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Courtier

I've seen Alan Peters up close on duty - he was scary!! Tall & sturdy, he never let his concentration slip & if he looked at you it made you want to hide!!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Diana's Friends?

I noticed that the Duchess of Westminster and Emilie van Cutsem attended both the Concert for Diana and The Memorial for Diana. From what I have heard Diana never really like these two women, especially van Cutsem who she thought provoked the relationship between Charles and Camilla. I know Harry and William are friends with their children, but with all the talk of how Camilla should not be involced, should these two have been involved in the services? I don't think so.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Remember Diana has been gone for ten years. The princes have been raised by Prince Charles. These are their friend.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

Photos - Diana and Rosa Monckton

Bild.T-Online.de

Tags
barry mannakee, bodyguards, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, extramarital affair, friends, hasnat khan, lady diana spencer, oliver hoare, princess diana