Diana's Friends, Lovers and Bodyguards

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Concerning the thousands of pieces of information out there about Diana and her "men", i always have been fascinated as to who really had her heart. I understand the general opinion is that it was Hasnat Khan but i never bought that, something about him always has rubbed me up the wrong way...

i personally always have and always will believe she was madly and truly loved Prince Charles until the moment she died. I think she shouldn't have been but i never could shake the feeling that she ever wanted to let go of him and hoped all the way till the end.

I totally agree about Hasnat Khan; I also find him self-absorbed and a bit creepy.
Moreover, it was Diana who ended their relationship, and she never let go unless she wanted someone out of her life.
(I don't think they were star-crossed lovers, I think Diana was tired of him; same as with Dodi Fayed).

As for Charles, I think Diana hoped very much that the marriage would be a genuine love match; when she discovered it wasn't, she turned on him. I'm not saying he was not at fault because he did allow her to think he cared for her, imo. But she turned vicious when she realized the truth, and I think she came to hate him as much as she'd loved him.

I don't think Diana ever had a love of her life; every man she knew tried to use her in some way. She was more of a trophy than anything.
She was a sad person in so many ways, and I often think that, if she hadn't been killed in the crash, she'd have ended up like her own mother.

I totally agree about Hasnat Khan; I also find him self-absorbed and a bit creepy.
Moreover, it was Diana who ended their relationship, and she never let go unless she wanted someone out of her life.
(I don't think they were star-crossed lovers, I think Diana was tired of him; same as with Dodi Fayed).

I agree, I couldn't blame her for leaving Hasnat. He couldn't really handle the famous side to her. And the fact that he had no intention of marrying her is very cold.

As for Charles, I think Diana hoped very much that the marriage would be a genuine love match; when she discovered it wasn't, she turned on him.

Not really surprising. IMO perhaps one of the appeals Charles had was that he would give her the family life or stable home she craved for since she was a child. Which is common for most children of divorces. Having a stable marriage and family life is what I want, its what Harry wants. He even said in the Katie Couric interview that he wanted children at a young age. And he is at such ease with children.

I often think that, if she hadn't been killed in the crash, she'd have ended up like her own mother.

Possible, but I also believe if she took up counseling, learned to make her self happy and found a role for herself (which I believe she was doing) she would've been ok. Didn't she once jokingly say to a friend that she needed a marriage like she needed a rash lol?
One of my favorite quotes from Diana is:
People think that at the end of the day a man is the only answer. Actually, a fulfilling job is better for me.

i personally always have and always will believe she was madly and truly loved Prince Charles until the moment she died. I think she shouldn't have been but i never could shake the feeling that she ever wanted to let go of him and hoped all the way till the end.
I doubt Diana ever was in love with Charles, the man (whoever he is behind the royal persona), but that she was in love with the image of the Prince of Wales in the beginning and thought he would be a father figure for her and take care of her.

I never doubted Diana's love for Charles. I think despite all the movies, books, endless articles and news reports about their 16 year marriage, Diana & Charles really did love each other but they just couldn't make their marriage work.

To me, the proof of their love and respect for each other is William & Harry.

I think eventually Diana would've went on to find love again. I'm not sure if it's any of the guys she was linked to outside of her marriage though. I truly think it would've happened for her.

I never doubted Diana's love for Charles. I think despite all the movies, books, endless articles and news reports about their 16 year marriage, Diana & Charles really did love each other but they just couldn't make their marriage work.
I don't doubt that Diana was in love with the Prince of Wales, but I doubt the loved Charles, the man. Had he been a plain Mr Charles Mountbatten she would never have married him. As for Charles, he was probably in love with her youth, beauty and her admiration/love for the Prince of Wales, but I think that his present wife have always been the primary love of his life.

The world, which judges other peoples deepest hearts and souls, by the look on their faces in pics and the clothes they wear, decided much before that Charles and Diana should marry..and so they were 'made to believe' that they are right for each other..
Diana thought she will get the love, status, fame, stable family, everything..(hardly anyone gets everything in life..)..But she never had 'proper' parents to counsel her.
Charles thought she knows well what she is going into and she can handle all that well..( He asked her..You know you are going to be the Queen and how much it will be..she told herself..). When she sheepishly said yes, he thought she is ready for all that. And he too had parents who are themselves confused, and an aged 'ostrich' granny, who does nothing but smiles and waves, who never thought it her job to put her doubts about the girl and family she knew since ages.
Meanwhile the press decided thats it..and it happend.
And the world saw it as an embodiment of eternal love..ha ha

:previous:It is not at all to make a mockery of their wedding. but I wanna say that it was too over-rated as a 'love' thing. But I believe they didnt have a good understanding of each others' needs, priorities and mentalities, they just walked in like a typical 'arranged marriage' in India, where the guy and girl are made to sit in a room for 10-15 min to talk and they are asked if they like each other.

All the money that is made speculating on the "true" relationship of Charles and Diana!

She was only 17 or 18 when the photos was taken as it was taken in 1979. We aren't told whether it was early in 1979 or late hence why I say she was 17/18.

The photo was then sold to one of the daily rags two days after the engagement announcement and for some reason they decided that it wouldn't suit the image they were creating of the innocent young girl who had won the heart of the heir to the throne if she was seen laying down next to another male.

i personally always have and always will believe she was madly and truly loved Prince Charles until the moment she died.

I believe that too, I think she always kinda wanted him back.
I also feel the same way as you feel about Hasnat. I've never warmed to him. I'm sure he's a lovely man, but something about him I just don't like. I can't explain it, but I've felt that way for quite a while.

(First post, hello everyone! :flowers:)

Did not know Anna Pasternak's bio. What a unhappy woman looking for love just like Diana. Hope some day she realizes that she is hurting people for money.

She authored "Princess in Love" which was Hewitt's betrayal of Diana, exposing his affair with her.

I believe Anne Beckwith-Smith works for a prestigious art gallery in London. I imagine she's getting close to retirement as she was ten years older than Diana.

Anne Honor Mary Beckwith-Smith was born on December 4, 1951. Beckwith-Smith works in the Development Office of the Tate in London. Her title is "Head of Campaigns " and she is a major fundraiser for the museum. She was invested as a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order in 1990 and has never spoken publicly about her years as lady-in-waiting and personal assistant to Diana. The Prince of Wales was represented by Miss Anne Beckwith-Smith in 2005 at the Funeral of Mr Dudley Poplak, the South African born interior designer who was responsible for the Highgrove make-over in 1981. Anne was a first cousin of the late Carolyn Beckwith-Smith who was Sarah Ferguson's flatmate. Carolyn left a young family of three when she died in October 2001, only 17 months after discovering a mole on her foot was melanoma (skin cancer.) Carolyn was godmother to Princess Beatrice.

Here is a picture of Anne from 2012 with David Tang.
Sir David Tang And Anne Beckwith Smith Attend The Turner

Another picture of her at the Tate attending a Henry Moore exhibit.
Dafydd Jones :: LORD BROWNE; ANNE BECKWITH-SMITH, Henry Moore, Tate Britain. London. 22 February 2010

Last edited:
I do remember Miss Anne Beckwith-Smith. I wondered what happened to her.

Anne Honor Mary Beckwith-Smith was born on December 4, 1951. Beckwith-Smith works in the Development Office of the Tate in London. Her title is "Head of Campaigns " and she is a major fundraiser for the museum. She was invested as a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order in 1990 and has never spoken publicly about her years as lady-in-waiting and personal assistant to Diana.

What a great lady,I am happy to hear that some of Diana´s former assistants did have the good manners to not talk about the Princess in public,this is very rare!
In the pictures & from what little I know about her, she seems like a kind & hard-working person with good moral principles :flowers:

Awesome article. Beautiful photos.

It may have been a wonderful marriage. She loved him and he her. He was giving and caring, something she needed and was not used to. She married into the "me first family". What would have happened, I do not know, nor does anyone.

It may have been a wonderful marriage. She loved him and he her. He was giving and caring, something she needed and was not used to. She married into the "me first family". What would have happened, I do not know, nor does anyone.

Diana as well could NEVER give and care. She was as ME FIRST as the family you mentioned. Unless she married a 70-year old billionaire with 3 exes ad 5 kids, who has absolutely nothing to expect from her except for being an arm-candy, no marriage would have been "wonderful" with her..

I think vkrish's response is a little harsh, but I don't understand your post. Why do you think they broke up? I'm not asking what you think may have happened if she was still here, but we know they broke up: she was with Dodi when she died. What was the reason for the breakup if it would have been a wonderful marriage, they loved each other and he was giving her everything she needed?

Diana as well could NEVER give and care. She was as ME FIRST as the family you mentioned.
Was she me first when she showed compassion for AIDS victims at a time when they were literally untouchable? How about when she visited landline victims and tried to get the mines outlawed? How about all the times she quietly visited hospitals without the media knowing so the patients and their families could have privacy. It's completely ridiculous to say she didn't give and care.
Diana as well could NEVER give and care. She was as ME FIRST as the family you mentioned.
Really, she could NEVER give and care? How about when she visited and held the hands of AIDS patients when no royal would even say the word AIDS? How about when she held people terribly mutilated by land mines and tried to help get land mines outlawed? How about when she would quietly go to hospitals and old age homes in the evening to comfort patients or visit the elderly without anyone else knowing?

You can say a lot of things about Diana, but NEVER giving and caring isnt one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe she would have left her sons in England and move to Pakistan permanently!

I don't believe she would have left her sons in England and move to Pakistan permanently!
I agree that was a, if not THE, major obstacle to their marriage. But Tina Brown also describes Diana as calling him as much as 20 times a day, planning a secret wedding without talking to him, and trying to arrange for him to work with a South African clinic.

Obviously, Dr. Khan loved her, but I also think Diana's mental illness (NOTE: mental illness is a medical condition, not an insult) was also a big issue for them. I just don't see any relationship working out as long as she didn't address her problems. I like to think she would have successfully sought treatment though.

Was she me first when she showed compassion for AIDS victims...
You are raising a totally different point..
Holding a stranger's hand for a moment and expressing sympathy is totally different from living in a marriage with a person lifelong, understanding, caring and supporting him..

I completely understand Dr Khan's reluctance to marry Diana. Seriously, can any doctor in the world WORK, having a wife calling him 20 times a day..No way. Upon that..heart surgeons! Sometimes they even forget their wives exist.. I really wonder how she thought it will work out..Really childish..

And from his career point of view..He will just be potrayed in media and society as her latest arm-candy. I dont think she would have stayed away from media or her "charity" once they married. She would take him to all balls/events/galas and if he doesnt come she again becomes a cry-baby. Then it will be such a terrible distraction for him..All the struggle he has undergone in his life to accomplish this and now he would not be able to focus at all.

So it is never good from aspects of either of them. I commend him for being sensible and not jumping at the oppurtunity of marrying the angel..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom