Diana's First Solo Trip: Norway - February 1984

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaMinka

Royal Highness
City
Bergen
Country
Norway
Have some pictures of Dianas first solo-trip? Her first Solo trip was to Norway in febrary 1984.

Here is a picture, from Corbis

Last edited:
"After her marriage, The Princess of Wales quickly became involved in the official duties of the Royal Family.

Her first tour with The Prince of Wales was a three-day visit to Wales in October 1981. In 1983 she accompanied the Prince on a tour of Australia and New Zealand, and they took the infant Prince William with them. Prince William, with Prince Harry, again joined The Prince and Princess of Wales at the end of their tour to Italy in 1985.

Other official overseas visits undertaken with the Prince included Australia (for the bicentenary celebrations in 1988), Brazil, India, Canada, Nigeria, Cameroon, Indonesia, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and Japan (for the enthronement of Emperor Akihito). Their last joint overseas visit was to South Korea in 1992.

The Princess's first official visit overseas on her own was in September 1982, when she represented The Queen at the State funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco. The Princess's first solo overseas tour was in February 1984, when she travelled to Norway to attend a performance of Carmen by the London City Ballet, of which she was Patron."

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page157.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana's visit to Norway was pretty low key and also very short (just an overnight visit).

Here are some pictures of her being greeted at her arrival to Fornebu airport by Prince Harald and Princess Sonja.

Photos: Tim Graham/Photographers International

Attachments

• 1984 02 11 a.jpg
    1984 02 11 a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 1984 02 11 Norway.jpg
    1984 02 11 Norway.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,156
The main purpose of the visit was to attend a performance of Carmen by The London City Ballet (she was their patron). Harald & Sonja also attended.

Photos: Photographers International/Majesty Magazine

Attachments

• 1984 02 11.jpg
    1984 02 11.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 8,406
  • 1984 02 11 Norway a.jpg
    1984 02 11 Norway a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 943
  • 1984 02 11 Norway b.jpg
    1984 02 11 Norway b.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,404
  • Majesty cover.jpg
    Majesty cover.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 537
On the second day of the visit she planted a tree in the grounds of the British Embassy. Reporters commented that throughout much of the trip, Diana appeared ill at ease. It was speculated that she was finding it hard to carry out her first solo tour. However, the real reason for her unease was likely something else. The day after she returned to the UK, it was announced that she was expecting her second child (Harry).

Photos: Photographers International

Attachments

• 1984 02 12.jpg
    1984 02 12.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,695
  • 1984 02 12 Norway.jpg
    1984 02 12 Norway.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 4,806
Thanks! I have never seen the pics of her in Oslo.

My memories . .

I remember this tour!! I was 15 at the time and it was shortly after this trip that Buckingham Palace announced that she was pregnant with Harry. I remember how happy and elated I was at the news!!

thanks for the lovely pictures! I'd never seen them. It really jogs our memory of Diana and how special she was. It is too bad she is no longer here, we mis her. Well at least I do. As the saying goes, "they sure don't make them any more like this."

tiaraprin said:
I remember this tour!! I was 15 at the time and it was shortly after this trip that Buckingham Palace announced that she was pregnant with Harry. I remember how happy and elated I was at the news!!

Yes, I was about that age too Tiaraprin.:) I'm like you, the main thing I remember about the tour was that her 2nd pregnancy was announced. I recall that her first engagement after the announcement was a visit to a car factory. Diana was suffering from morning sickness and made some quip like: "I'm not meant for the production line".

Squidgy said:
On the second day of the visit she planted a tree in the grounds of the British Embassy. Reporters commented that throughout much of the trip, Diana appeared ill at ease. It was speculated that she was finding it hard to carry out her first solo tour. However, the real reason for her unease was likely something else. The day after she returned to the UK, it was announced that she was expecting her second child (Harry).

those boats...were they for real? :)

ulik said:
those boats...were they for real? :)

They are indeed! The sad part is, I remember at the time when these pictures came out that I loved her boots and wanted to have a pair just like them:rolleyes: (Maybe I shouldn't admit to that). Actually, I think the scan has made them look worse than I think they really were. In the scan they look sort of like silver spacesuit boots, but really they are beige & likely leather.

Squidgy said:

The very first pic on the thread I noticed her middle looked thicker than ususal.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I have never seen these first solo ones.

Princess Diana at Princess Grace of Monaco's Funeral
Princess Diana walks down a staircase a few steps in front of Crown Prince Albert of Monaco at the funeral of Princess Grace.
September 18, 1982
From Tim Graham - gettyimages; corbis

So lovely to see old events. I haven't looked through an old Diana forum before. I used to follow her fashions and clearly remember both the Norway and Monaco visits. Where else did she wear the red lace dress after Norway?

So lovely to see old events. I haven't looked through an old Diana forum before. I used to follow her fashions and clearly remember both the Norway and Monaco visits. Where else did she wear the red lace dress after Norway?

Where wore this dress in Canada in 1983 and Italy, 1985.

Hi - this is my first post here!

I loved the photographs of her trip to Oslo. Despite her being in the early weeks of pregnancy thought she looked stunning. These photos make me feel nostalgic!

I'm sure she wore it to a film premiere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss her.:sad:

Many of the new princesses are wonderful, but there will never be another Lady Diana Frances Spencer, imo.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.:)

Back
Top Bottom