The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Diana's first solo trip: Norway, February 1984

Have some pictures of Dianas first solo-trip? Her first Solo trip was to Norway in febrary 1984.

Here is a picture, from Corbis

Old 08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

"After her marriage, The Princess of Wales quickly became involved in the official duties of the Royal Family.

Her first tour with The Prince of Wales was a three-day visit to Wales in October 1981. In 1983 she accompanied the Prince on a tour of Australia and New Zealand, and they took the infant Prince William with them. Prince William, with Prince Harry, again joined The Prince and Princess of Wales at the end of their tour to Italy in 1985.

Other official overseas visits undertaken with the Prince included Australia (for the bicentenary celebrations in 1988), Brazil, India, Canada, Nigeria, Cameroon, Indonesia, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and Japan (for the enthronement of Emperor Akihito). Their last joint overseas visit was to South Korea in 1992.

The Princess's first official visit overseas on her own was in September 1982, when she represented The Queen at the State funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco. The Princess's first solo overseas tour was in February 1984, when she travelled to Norway to attend a performance of Carmen by the London City Ballet, of which she was Patron."

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page157.asp

Old 08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Diana's visit to Norway was pretty low key and also very short (just an overnight visit).

Here are some pictures of her being greeted at her arrival to Fornebu airport by Prince Harald and Princess Sonja.

Photos: Tim Graham/Photographers International
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 02 11 a.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	179158   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 02 11 Norway.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	179159  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

The main purpose of the visit was to attend a performance of Carmen by The London City Ballet (she was their patron). Harald & Sonja also attended.

Photos: Photographers International/Majesty Magazine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1984 02 11.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	179160   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 02 11 Norway a.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	179161   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 02 11 Norway b.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	179162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majesty cover.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	179163  

Old 08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

On the second day of the visit she planted a tree in the grounds of the British Embassy. Reporters commented that throughout much of the trip, Diana appeared ill at ease. It was speculated that she was finding it hard to carry out her first solo tour. However, the real reason for her unease was likely something else. The day after she returned to the UK, it was announced that she was expecting her second child (Harry).

Photos: Photographers International
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1984 02 12.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	179164   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 02 12 Norway.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	179165  
Old 08-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks! I have never seen the pics of her in Oslo.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

My memories . .

I remember this tour!! I was 15 at the time and it was shortly after this trip that Buckingham Palace announced that she was pregnant with Harry. I remember how happy and elated I was at the news!!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

thanks for the lovely pictures! I'd never seen them. It really jogs our memory of Diana and how special she was. It is too bad she is no longer here, we mis her. Well at least I do. As the saying goes, "they sure don't make them any more like this."
Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I remember this tour!! I was 15 at the time and it was shortly after this trip that Buckingham Palace announced that she was pregnant with Harry. I remember how happy and elated I was at the news!!
Yes, I was about that age too Tiaraprin.:) I'm like you, the main thing I remember about the tour was that her 2nd pregnancy was announced. I recall that her first engagement after the announcement was a visit to a car factory. Diana was suffering from morning sickness and made some quip like: "I'm not meant for the production line".
Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
On the second day of the visit she planted a tree in the grounds of the British Embassy. Reporters commented that throughout much of the trip, Diana appeared ill at ease. It was speculated that she was finding it hard to carry out her first solo tour. However, the real reason for her unease was likely something else. The day after she returned to the UK, it was announced that she was expecting her second child (Harry).

those boats...were they for real? :)
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulik
those boats...were they for real? :)
They are indeed! The sad part is, I remember at the time when these pictures came out that I loved her boots and wanted to have a pair just like them (Maybe I shouldn't admit to that). Actually, I think the scan has made them look worse than I think they really were. In the scan they look sort of like silver spacesuit boots, but really they are beige & likely leather.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy

The very first pic on the thread I noticed her middle looked thicker than ususal.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Nobility

Thanks for posting these pictures. I have never seen these first solo ones.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana at Princess Grace of Monaco's Funeral
Princess Diana walks down a staircase a few steps in front of Crown Prince Albert of Monaco at the funeral of Princess Grace.
September 18, 1982
From Tim Graham - gettyimages; corbis
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

Another photos

Diana, Princess of Wales attends at Princess Grace funeral
The Princess represents the Queen pictures from collecting photos on webshots
Funeral pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots
The Princess represented the Queen pictures from collecting photos on webshots
Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Serene Highness

Some pictures of Diana attend the Princess Grace Funeral - 09/18/1982

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=323997123
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

A video - Princess Diana at Princess Grace's Funeral
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Commoner

So lovely to see old events. I haven't looked through an old Diana forum before. I used to follow her fashions and clearly remember both the Norway and Monaco visits. Where else did she wear the red lace dress after Norway?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraitelli View Post
So lovely to see old events. I haven't looked through an old Diana forum before. I used to follow her fashions and clearly remember both the Norway and Monaco visits. Where else did she wear the red lace dress after Norway?
Where wore this dress in Canada in 1983 and Italy, 1985.

Tags
diana princess of wales, norway, princess diana