The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
I know of six film premieres in 1986:

"Out of Africa," date unknown. This event was pictured in Royalty and Majesty magazines, both in their April issues, so it may have been in February. Does anyone know the exact date?
The date is Mar. 4 1986.

Quote:
"Hannah and Her Sisters," July 30, 1986 (not shown). I have never seen a picture of this event, which was in Edinburgh, Scotland. Does anyone have one?
I've never seen a picture either, which is very unusual for a film premiere. I'm wondering if the event was cancelled, or if Diana cancelled out. Maybe she was tired - she had spent the day at the Commonwealth games & then attended a Garden Party.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

February 4 1987 Diana at the premiere of Mosquito Coast. She's wearing that "interesting" (for lack of a better word) orange satin jacket & black skirt that she wore a week later in Portugal.

Photo: Point de Vue

Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Thanks for posting this! This version is much better than when she added the bowtie .
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Squidgy,
Thank you so much for the "Out of Africa" date.

And also for the "Mosquito Coast" photo. I actually have a picture from that occasion that I found on eBay, which is sort of a side view, and I was sure that the date was wrong, and that it was from Portugal. I simply couldn't believe that Diana would have worn that hideous orange jacket twice, and especially on occasions so close together. I hadn't realized that she did vary it by not wearing the bowtie. I don't know that it's "much" better, Lady Jean, but it's somewhat better. Have you all seen the back view? -- there's a bustle or something on the skirt. I think the caption in "Dressing Diana" says something like, "This was before Diana learned that less is more."
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

You're welcome Lady Jean & Umbrellagirl.

You know I didn't half mind that outfit. Or well, I should say, I liked half of the outfit. I agree the skirt was horrid, but I liked the jacket, especially as Lady Jean points out when she wore it sans the bowtie. I thought she looked quite good in orange though.

(Ah, too bad we can't post those Ebay pics eh? Sometimes they are the best ones. I wanted to post a picture from the premiere of Short Circuit on Jan 15 1987, but all I have is an Ebay pic. Anyone have a picture from this day that they can post?)
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Nobility

I like the picture of Diana with Anne and the Queen Mother at the movie " A Passage to India". It is a nice picture they look to be enjoying each other's company.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Commoner

Short circuit premiere (15/1/87)

I achieved this pictures in "Lecturas" (Spanish magazine).
(It's my first picture post, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me!!!)

Ooops!! I think they're too big pictures. Can anybody tell me how to put them smaller?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Fabulous pictures Pilar!!!

By far, these are the best I've seen from this engagement. Thank you so much. I don't think she ever wore this outfit again did she?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Gentry

Pilar'
Thank you for these pictures!! I have been looking forever for more of this dress!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you, Pilar!

I have studied the one black-and-white photo I have from this premiere, which I found on eBay, trying to figure out the dress. You have given us wonderful, clear views of it.

Thank you so very, very much!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Nobility

Pilar,
Thank you for posting such rare pictures
I'm happy to see them, although not too impressed with that dress!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Commoner

Pilar,
these photos are awesome! never seen these before...thank you so much for sharing!!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never see that diana' clothes before!
great photos!

was taken in 1987?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 09-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

Pilar,
What wonderful pictures! Thank you for posting.

I wonder why the magazines didn't print more pictures like this? Even in the memoriam pictures, they choose the same pictures over and over.

Anyway, these are awesome.

Tenngirl
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Aristocracy

After the excitement of Pilar's rare photos, the next ones I have are familiar and boring. They are from 1987 film premieres; all the dresses were also worn on other occasions. I'm not even sure these pics are worth posting. However, they do document Diana's film-premiere engagements as to dates and what she wore, so they may be useful to someone.

Here, then, are the 1987 film premieres that I know about. If there are any others, someone please let us know.

1. "Short Circuit," Jan. 15, 1987. The rare photos posted by Pilar.

2. "Mosquito Coast," Feb. 4, 1987. Squidgy posted a photo of this above.

3. "Children of a Lesser God," Feb. 26, 1987. This is another premiere that was listed in the Engagements column of Majesty and/or Royalty mags, but from which I've never seen a photo.

4. "84 Charing Cross Road," Mar. 23, 1987

5. "The Living Daylights," June 29, 1987

6. "Superman IV," July 23, 1987

7. "Dancers," Dec. 7, 1987

Photos:4.Tim Graham/Corbis/APL; "The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall
5.mirrorpix.com; "The Royal Family ...," by Hall
6. and 7. "The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall
Old 09-21-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
After the excitement of Pilar's rare photos, the next ones I have are familiar and boring... I'm not even sure these pics are worth posting... they may be useful to someone.
Not every pic can be rare or unfamiliar. It's only by sharing that the collectors among the members can discover the rare gems or find images that fill in the blanks. For everyone else the enjoyment comes from looking at the pics, especially when they are so well organised and presented.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Commoner

Thanks for these beautiful pictures, umbrellagirl! Specially "Superman IV": I know Diana was wearing this blue dress, but I didn't have any pictures of this day!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Aristocracy

Aww, Warren, you're so sweet. And Pilar, I'm glad I could help.

Here are the 1988 film premieres.

1. "The Last Emperor," Feb. 25, 1988

2. "Wall Street," Apr. 27, 1988. Squidgy posted photos of this above.

3. "Crocodile Dundee II," June 21, 1988

4. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Nov. 21, 1988

5. "Willow," Dec. 8, 1988

Photos: 1."The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall (individual photographers not credited)
3.a."Unseen Archives" (The Daily Mail); b. Royalty magazine
4.a.Majesty magazine; b. and c. Hello magazine
5.a.Royalty magazine; b.www.warwickdavis.co.uk
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Commoner

Beautiful picts, umbrellagirl!!! I had never seen any pictures of "last emperor" premiere! Was Charles in this premiere?
Do you know if Diana went to Crocodile Dundee I premiere?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Aristocracy

In answer to your questions, Pilar:

Yes, Charles was at the "Last Emperor" premiere. I have a black-and-white photo of Ch. and D. together there, but I can't find it!

And as far as I know, Diana did not attend a premiere of the original "Crocodile Dundee."

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana