The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Majesty

That is wonderful, jackieo, and I'm sure the 1980's and '90's CC records would be an enormous help to Iluvbertie and others who collate Royal engagements here. I used to have lots of magazines and clippings on Diana but most of them got thrown out over the years, so good on you for keeping yours.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would love the CC records to add to my collection for engagements if possible. Maybe we should communicate via PM.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Courtier

I would be interested as well :)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Commoner

That sounds great. If anyone else is interested let me know, even if time has passed since this post.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Diana's engagements on 27 September 1990

I have a page from a visitors' book that Diana has signed and dated. The date is 27 September 1990.

The person I bought it from said that he had been in charge of a centre (for the homeless I believe) in Camden at the time and Diana had visited the centre on the above date.

I have Googled to the point of exhaustion but can find no list of Diana's official engagements for that day. I have seen an image of a lunch she had at the Merchant's Hall that day so I do know that she was indeed in London.

I am not worried about the authenticity of the piece but I would dearly love to obtain some more information about its background.

The Royal Circular site only gives details of engagements back to 1997. I know The Times publishes or published details of Royal engagements but a) I am not sure whether I would need the paper for 27/9 or 28/9 and b) I don't really want to buy an old newspaper for £35.

Can anyone help me?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Hi herrlast, The only place I know of in Camden that Diana was involved with was one run by the Thomas Coram Foundation: Homeless Children Project. She visited that centre in January of 1990, there are photos of her arriving. However, I can't find any photos of her visiting in September unfortunately.

However, as Diana tried to get around her charities connected with the homeless and with children several times a year, both privately and publicly, I wouldn't be at all surprised at her visiting the centre in the autumn after her visit at the beginning of the year.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Thank you Curryong, I also found images of Diana at the Thomas Coram Foundation but I was put off by the date. I expect they have a site so I will dig a bit there. If it was a private visit there may well be no record of it at all - apart from my visitors's book page of course.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Diana visit to Camden 27 September 1990 - follow-up

While tidying up I came across the original backing board for Diana's autograph. The seller had written some details on the board. In a nutshell, Diana was visiting a Winter Project for the homeless in Camden Road.

My subsequent Googling has alas uncovered nothing about this visit.

By the way, the autograph was matted with a good quality original black & white photograph of Diana by David Bailey (see attached image). Perhaps someone knows if Diana handed out photos on her visits to such projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diana - bailey.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	300661  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Majesty

My opinion only, but I doubt very very much that the Princess of Wales would go to an engagement and hand out copies of her own photograph, autographed or otherwise. I never heard of her or any other British Royal doing so.

I don't know what details the seller gave to you when she/he sold you the original autograph but it could be that both photo and autograph were auctioned by the charity concerned, after Diana had left, in honour of her visit and to raise funds for the cause.

Alternatively, maybe the person bought a copy of Diana's Bailey photo somewhere (there were images of her all over the place) and then got the autograph or vice versa and being a fan, twinned them together.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
My opinion only, but I doubt very very much that the Princess of Wales would go to an engagement and hand out copies of her own photograph, autographed or otherwise. I never heard of her or any other British Royal doing so.

I don't know what details the seller gave to you when she/he sold you the original autograph but it could be that both photo and autograph were auctioned by the charity concerned, after Diana had left, in honour of her visit and to raise funds for the cause.

Alternatively, maybe the person bought a copy of Diana's Bailey photo somewhere (there were images of her all over the place) and then got the autograph or vice versa and being a fan, twinned them together.
I recently watched a 1986 prog on YouTube called Charles and Diana - in Public and Private. Both Charles and Diana signed photographs to give to charit "benefactors" - it was mainly in the US, but they did do it. They signed so many.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Doesn't the royal family give photos as thank you for tours? I don't know if they are signed or not. There was a picture of a framed photo of W&K with baby George that was a thank you for the Australian and New Zealand tour. I would also think that the charities that have a royal patron would probably have some photos of them. I can't see royals passing out signed photos as the work a crowd.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Gentry

Jackieo1600 I have tons of engagements and dates. I am currently doing this on Pinterest year by year with the engagements I have. Unfortunately I live in the States and didn't have access to the court circulars, just did a lot by Majesty and Royalty magazines and other sources. Please feel free to message me and maybe we can get them all. My dream at one time was to have every picture of every engagement, but I don't know if that is even possible!
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

You won't get pictures of every engagement simply because they don't release them of things like 'meetings' or 'receiveds'.

Who would be interested in seeing a group of people sitting around a table talking about something - once or twice yes but 100s of them - no. All royals do a number of these of things.

The 'out of palace' engagements are the ones where photos would be possible.

Not even all the receptions a royal attends have photos released.

A full copy of the CC from 1981 to her leaving the royal family when her official engagements would have stopped being recorded is the only way to do a full count and the online CC only goes back to 1997.

When I retire I intend on visiting a few places where I know they had the CC going back to the beginning on micro-fiche to find out if they digitised the entire copies of The Times or whether they only did selected bits. If they digitised it then I will attempt to do a full count for Diana - along with the rest of the BRF since WWII.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieo1600 View Post
That sounds great. If anyone else is interested let me know, even if time has passed since this post.
Hi Jackieo1600 I would like to take part too, I have a lot of the dates recorded but not in a way I can share, and not in any ordered way... Im working on getting them more concise and into one document. you can email me ansteystreet@hotmail.com
Old 12-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana visit to Cheltenham 27/02/1981

Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Diana at grandmother's funeral
Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Old 07-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

February 5, 1986: Princess Diana accompanied by Sarah Ferguson take Prince William on a visit to Prince Andrew's boat, The HMS Brazen by the River Thames.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e4dfebadb0.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d6/16...6138653b97.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/7b...6f8a878057.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/f2...c70d5100be.jpg

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana