Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
July 1, 1983: Di and Charles open World University Games

Last edited by a moderator:
1984 - Indiana Jones premiere
The Princess of Wales meeting the stars at the Empire, Leicester Square, London. Ke Huy Quan, twelve year old Vietnamese actor who plays Short Round, a karate expert in his first film, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Kate Capshaw, who is also in the film, with their director Steven Spielberg. The Princess attended the film's Royal European Premiere which aids the Prince's Trust.

Tennis match at Wimbledon - July 5th 1990
Love these expressions on Princess Diana's face as she was photographed watching a tennis match at Wimbledon between Steffi Graaf and Zina Garrison. Diana had been chewing a sticky toffee, which turned into a problem when it looks like it became stuck in her teeth, creating this amusing set of facial expressions.

Last edited by a moderator:
How I miss that lady; the RF is just not the same without her. Beautiful photos.

I will miss her for the rest of my life! she was a perfect princess!

No she wasn't. No one is. She was a frail human being like the rest of us but she also gave a lot of love and hope to many people. That's more important than being perfect.

Yes, I agree. It's important to remember her as she actually was and not as some sort of perfect icon.

No she wasn't. No one is. She was a frail human being like the rest of us but she also gave a lot of love and hope to many people. That's more important than being perfect.

After her divorce, she seemed a bit neurotic.

Mostly I felt sorry for her and Charles: He dithered too long on deciding whom to marry and had to settle for someone too young and didn't share his interests; she was basically duped into believing that her husband would be faithful to her.

I'm glad for his sake that Charles appears to have ended up with a spouse with whom he is contented, and that his sons support their father's happiness.

No one is. She was a frail human being like the rest of us but she also gave a lot of love and hope to many people. That's more important than being perfect.
She wasn't perfect, she had her issues and everybody knows that. But it doesn't mean that we can't remember the best of her and respect her memory. Maybe being princess just wasn't her... place.
As for Charles...he made a big mistake then, marrying Diana.

Diana was a pretty good Princess of Wales. She carried out her role with a great deal of grace and dignity. She always wanted to do her best on the job and she did. It's just her private life that was a problem. Fairy tales princesses are perfect but the real ones aren't. That's just reality.

Diana was a pretty good Princess of Wales. She carried out her role with a great deal of grace and dignity. She always wanted to do her best on the job and she did.
Being a princess is not an actual job, this is a privilege.

There is privilege involved but it's actually a job. There's way more to being royal than just the expensive wardrobe, jewels, palaces and castles.

Being a princess is not an actual job, this is a privilege.

Exactly... People never seem to recognise this..

As for Charles...he made a big mistake then, marrying Diana.

Diana did as much mistake in marrying Charles, as much as Charles did in marrying her. If you say the decision to marry is entirely Charles' mistake, then you have taken for granted that Diana absolutely 'zero-brains', and her factor is totally negliglible.
Then its really Charles mistake to marry such a woman (er girl)..

Why do you do this? I don't do this for my parents and I expect you dont either. Why are you doing this to Diana? Let her rest in peace. She is no saint - and she would never say she was. I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post.

I completely agree, I love her kind nature,her free spirit,humour and the way she cared for her sons and people who were less fortunate than her but just like us, she was not perfect and also had some character traits that were not so positive.
However, she has used her fame and the massive press attention she received for doing good work and helping the less-heard members of our society.

To me,one of her best charity accomplishments is that she has helped to end the stigma of Aids-before her people were afraid they would get infected by touching ppl who carry HIV.

Another highlight for me is that trough her efforts and tireless work,together with other charitable organisations,she has helped the Ottawa treaty against landmines to be a success.After she had died,most countries did not want to reject it because she has fought so hard for that case.Bceause of this treaty,many people are still having their limbs and less children,women and civilian were spared the disastrous suffering by landmines that kill mostly non-military people-people like you and me-but we are fortunate enough to live in developed nations.

Also, I will keep her in mind as a great mother who wanted to give her kids a halway normal life as much as it was possible in her position.

Last edited:
Also, I will keep her in mind as a great mother who wanted to give her kids a halway normal life as much as it was possible in her position.
Not only that. She tried to raise her children so they can carry on her legacy. Showed them a life of the less privileged.
And I respect her even more for that.

That´s true,Kellin! I see that in both of her sons,especially when Harry plays around with the children of his Sentebale charity in Lesotho! Diana definitely gave them all her love,dedication and also important moral principles by which they should lead their life.So far, we can say that her influence and work were doing a lot of good!

Whoa, great list!

Does anyone has any updates for that list, since it is a few years old?

Hopefully all the polo matches were not considered part of royal duties.

During the early years, except for the foreign tours, based on the above 'engagements' , she did very little besides attending galas, concerts and polo matches. Hopefully this is not true and these were just the photos that someone had and not an accurate portrayal of her all royal engagements.

Last edited:
1982:
August 4 : The Christening of Prince William

1984:
September 15 : The Birth of Prince Henry
December 21 : The Christening of Prince Henry

Thanks! I had been trying to find a date for her trip to Italy (I saw Charles and she one day!) and so I was able to do a better search for pictures and videos on YouTube. I never visit this thread but I saw its title on the "Recent Discussions" section and I was curious!

From my regular reading of the CC many of these wouldn't be classes as official engagements e.g. polo. Missing are things like Trooping the Colour and the Garter ceremony which would be classed as official engagements.

The problem with doing any list of coverage in the press is that it often covers unofficial engagements and doesn't cover official engagements.

If anyone has access to the CC prior to 1997 (the British Monarch Website only starts in 1997) I could do a count as I am doing for the years since 2000 but I don't have that access.

From my regular reading of the CC many of these wouldn't be classes as official engagements e.g. polo. Missing are things like Trooping the Colour and the Garter ceremony which would be classed as official engagements.

The problem with doing any list of coverage in the press is that it often covers unofficial engagements and doesn't cover official engagements.

If anyone has access to the CC prior to 1997 (the British Monarch Website only starts in 1997) I could do a count as I am doing for the years since 2000 but I don't have that access.

Just off the top of my head, perhaps sending an email to Tim O'Donovan over at the Telegraph might work? Wouldn't hurt to ask. :D

Just off the top of my head, perhaps sending an email to Tim O'Donovan over at the Telegraph might work? Wouldn't hurt to ask. :D

MR Tim Donovan is a private individual and does not work for a newspaper. At the end of each year he sends his summary to The Times - this being the source of his information

Mr O'Donovan's figures are available somewhere going back that far but I can only get totals and not for every year sadly.

I don't know where to get the CC prior to 1997 and that is my problem.

Back
Top Bottom