Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince of Chota said:
This is the same suit she wore on the state visit to the US and I think also in Poland.
I think you were refering to the trip in Oct. 1990. That was not a state visit, though she met the First Lady at the White House.

The Engagement section in Majesty and Royalty magazines had a lot of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, another trip down memory lane. One of my favourite outfits was the bright yellow floral printed dress she wore to Ascot as well as the simple white linen dress with the shawl collar and striped hat. I wish the yellow floral would have been worn again, it was so great.

Diana at film premieres

Hello, everybody!
I'm new in this forum (and I have to say that in every kind of forum) so I hope you can forgive my mistakes (my english mistakes, too:rolleyes: !!!).
I have a lot of Diana's pictures to classifie and it's very difficult to me find information about the dates, because here in spain only a few of her public duties were publicated. It was greatful for me find your forum. I like to see that there are a lot of people like me, who are interested about Diana's life.
So I want to request your help in this item:
Do you know about dates and have pictures about film premieres?
I know her first premiere was james bond's "for your eyes only" on july 24th 1981.
PS: when I found out how to send pictures I'll do it

Welcome to the Forums, Pilar! :) What a lovely idea for a thread, and a change of pace from "Diana at polo" -- from casual to glamorous.

I've looked through my listings of Diana's engagements, and it seems that she attended only a few film premieres in the early years of her public life. As you noted, the first was "For Your Eyes Only," during the engagement. (I think it was June 24, though I"ve also seen the month listed as July by photographer Tim Graham; I think he simply made a mistake, because elsewhere he says it was June.)

Here it is, along with the others I found:

1. "For Your Eyes Only," June 24, 1981
2. "Gandhi," Dec. 2, 1982
3. "E.T.," Dec. 9, 1982
4. "Octo*****," June 6, 1983. Diana is wearing that slim cream-colored sequinned one-shoulder dress she first wore in Australia.
5. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," June 11, 1984. Diana is pregnant with Harry.

Photos, left to right: Hulton-Deutsch Collection/Corbis/APL; David Levenson/Getty Images;

In 1985, Diana attended six film premieres that I know of:

1. "Amadeus," Jan. 16, 1985.
2. "2010," Mar. 4, 1985.
3. " A Passage to India," Mar. 18, 1985. She's with Princess Anne and the Queen Mother.
4. "A View to a Kill," June 12, 1985.
5. "Santa Claus --The Movie," Nov. 25, 1985. She wore the same dress she wore to the "Amadeus" premiere; she wore that dress at least six times in 1985.
6. "Back to the Future," Dec. 3, 1985. The famous fake pearls down her back; Diana said they hurt when she was sitting.

Photos: 1.Rex Features; 2.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 3.Hulton Archive/Getty Images; 4.Tim Graham in book "The Royal Family: A Year in Focus"; 5.mirrorpix; 6.Tim Graham/Getty Images

When I have time, I'll look through more years of engagements for film premieres. Meanwhile, come on, Diana fans. Let's help Pilar with some more dates and pictures!

I agree that Diana would never have been at Ascot without a hat. In fact, I wonder why the woman in question here isn't wearing one -- she looks out of place, surrounded by all those hats.

Anyway, if the date of this photo is correct (June 17, 1992), Diana was at Ascot that day, wearing bright pink with a broad-brimmed hat. Here she is:

Photo: Polfoto

All Photos from Getty Images
1. March 5, 1989-Premiere of "Dangerous Liasons"

2. June 13, 1989-Premiere of "A License To Kill"

3. February 7, 1990-Premiere of "Steel Magnolias"

4. December 13, 1990-Premiere of "Hobson's Choice"

5. July 22, 1991-Premiere of "Backdraft"

(Source: Getty Images)
1. September 19, 1991-Premiere of "Stepping Out"

2. November 18, 1991-Premiere of "Hot Shots"

3. July 30, 1992-Premiere of "Far and Away"

4. April 15, 1993- Premiere of "An Accidental Hero"

5. September 7, 1995-Premiere of "Apollo 13"

6. October 26, 1995-Premiere of "Haunted"

7. February 12, 1997-Premiere of "In Love and War"

Source: Mirrorpix

Premiere of Just Like A Woman. Caption says September 1992, but I don't know the exact date.

Great pictures Kwanfan!

The "Just like a woman" premiere was Sept. 24 1992. Here's another picture from Tim Graham. Diana's wearing her beautiful Prince of Wales feather necklace.

umbrellagirl said:
Ascot 1986, Day Three, June 19:
I have never seen a full-length view of this outfit. Does anyone have one? ( I think that somebody said it's a tunic jacket worn over a black skirt.)
Horrendous looking!!!

I like it, especially the hat

Thanks for your repplies!
I have more dates that can help you to find more pictures about film premieres:
1986:- Out of Africa; The Mission; Labyrinth
1987:- Short circuit;
1988:- Wall Street; Who framed Roger Rabbit?;
1990:- The hunt of red october; Back to the future III;
1991:postcards from the Edge
1992:- Prince of Tides; Hook; 1492: conquest of paradise

I haven't pictures of these events, so I'll be greatful if you can put some of them in this thread!!

Last edited:
I actually liked the Travolta gown better with no necklace than with the big choker she wore at the White House. I'm one who loves simplicity.

I know of six film premieres in 1986:

1. "Out of Africa," date unknown. This event was pictured in Royalty and Majesty magazines, both in their April issues, so it may have been in February. Does anyone know the exact date?

2. "Biggles," May 22, 1986

3. "Hannah and Her Sisters," July 30, 1986 (not shown). I have never seen a picture of this event, which was in Edinburgh, Scotland. Does anyone have one?

4. "Otello," Sep. 22, 1986

5."The Mission," Oct. 23, 1986. Squidgy posted photos of this.

6. "Labyrinth," Dec. 1, 1986

Photos: 1.Lionel Cherruault in Majesty mag; 2.Good Housekeeping mag June '87 (I think from Photographers International); 3."The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall (photographers not individually credited); 4.Topfoto/UPPA; 5.Press Association

I love Diana, but that blue and pink dotted dress is scary! I don't mind the fabric as much as the way it is made, EEKKKK.

Thanks for the pictures! You guys are doing great.

Tenngirl

Tenngirl,
Did you notice the blue polka-dot shoes with pink toes that match the dress?

Call me weird, but I must admit that I really like that dress.:rolleyes: Diana must have liked it, because she wore it several times.

The dress I can't stand is the one she wore to "Out of Africa," with that filmy white piece crisscrossed in front and the bows on both shoulders. I think that one is just plain strange.

Last edited:
Umbrellagirl,
Doesn't she have pink stockings on? :ohmy: :sad: :wacko:
The dress with the white that you mentioned is different. I think my Jayne Fischer book says that she wore that after she returned from a tour to the Middle East and she wanted to be daring. It just looks a little weird..... Like her scarf or something got stuck??
I do love the blue with lace dress, and she seemed to like it too! She wore it alot.
Tenngirl

umbrellagirl said:
I actually liked the Travolta gown better with no necklace than with the big choker she wore at the White House. I'm one who loves simplicity.
I agree. The choker is lovely, but it distracted from the gown-and that gown was so particularly lovely, it looked much better with very simple jewelry.

Your pictures are so wonderful! Thanks for sharing them.

1. July 15, 1993-Premiere of "Jurassic Park" (Topfoto)

2. April 7, 1992-Premiere of "Hook" (Topfoto)

umbrellagirl said:
I know of six film premieres in 1986:

"Out of Africa," date unknown. This event was pictured in Royalty and Majesty magazines, both in their April issues, so it may have been in February. Does anyone know the exact date?

The date is Mar. 4 1986.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/umbrellagirl_photos/imgrove2962.jpg
umbrellagirl said:
"Hannah and Her Sisters," July 30, 1986 (not shown). I have never seen a picture of this event, which was in Edinburgh, Scotland. Does anyone have one?

I've never seen a picture either, which is very unusual for a film premiere. I'm wondering if the event was cancelled, or if Diana cancelled out. Maybe she was tired - she had spent the day at the Commonwealth games & then attended a Garden Party.

February 4 1987 Diana at the premiere of Mosquito Coast. She's wearing that "interesting" (for lack of a better word) orange satin jacket & black skirt that she wore a week later in Portugal.

Photo: Point de Vue

Thanks for posting this! This version is much better than when she added the bowtie :ohmy: .

Squidgy,
Thank you so much for the "Out of Africa" date.:wub:

And also for the "Mosquito Coast" photo. I actually have a picture from that occasion that I found on eBay, which is sort of a side view, and I was sure that the date was wrong, and that it was from Portugal. I simply couldn't believe that Diana would have worn that hideous orange jacket twice, and especially on occasions so close together. I hadn't realized that she did vary it by not wearing the bowtie. I don't know that it's "much" better, Lady Jean, but it's somewhat better. Have you all seen the back view? -- there's a bustle or something on the skirt. I think the caption in "Dressing Diana" says something like, "This was before Diana learned that less is more.":lol:

You're welcome Lady Jean & Umbrellagirl. :)

You know I didn't half mind that outfit. Or well, I should say, I liked half of the outfit. I agree the skirt was horrid, but I liked the jacket, especially as Lady Jean points out when she wore it sans the bowtie. I thought she looked quite good in orange though.

(Ah, too bad we can't post those Ebay pics eh? Sometimes they are the best ones. I wanted to post a picture from the premiere of Short Circuit on Jan 15 1987, but all I have is an Ebay pic. Anyone have a picture from this day that they can post?)

I like the picture of Diana with Anne and the Queen Mother at the movie " A Passage to India". It is a nice picture they look to be enjoying each other's company.

Short circuit premiere (15/1/87)

I achieved this pictures in "Lecturas" (Spanish magazine).
(It's my first picture post, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me!!!)
cortocircuito2.jpg
cortocircuito.jpg

Ooops!! I think they're too big pictures. Can anybody tell me how to put them smaller?

Fabulous pictures Pilar!!!:wub:

By far, these are the best I've seen from this engagement. Thank you so much. I don't think she ever wore this outfit again did she?

Pilar'
Thank you for these pictures!! I have been looking forever for more of this dress!

Thank you, Pilar!

I have studied the one black-and-white photo I have from this premiere, which I found on eBay, trying to figure out the dress. You have given us wonderful, clear views of it.

Thank you so very, very much!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom