Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually liked the salmon outfit when Diana wore it in 1984 when pregnant. She looked lovely at Ascot that year.

Another Ascot favourite of mine was from 1987 it was yellow with a blue floral pattern and matching blue hat. It sounds hideous when I am describing it but looked nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChristosGirl: I thought that yellow dress very cool! I'm sure we'll see pictures it soon. And I preferred the salmon silk as a maternity dress. It looked both elegant and comfortable, and in such a flattering color.

Christo's Girl said:
Another Ascot favourite of mine was from 1987 it was yellow with a blue floral pattern and matching blue hat. It sounds hideous when I am describing it but looked nice.

I really liked that one, too. I was always sorry she was never seen wearing it more often.

Another fave of mine was the pale yellow hat with the pale pink and pale yellow roses inside the wide brim that she wore to Ascot with a yellow and pink suit in the late 1980's. That was very pretty.

And yet another was a pale cream suit with a floral design and a pointed peplum that she also wore in the late 1980's-had a matching hat with a broad brim and a ribbon with a bow around the crown. After the races that day, there was a picture of her sitting on the hood of Charles' Aston Martin in that suit. She later wore another off white suit with that same hat, but I liked the floral patterned suit better.

Ascot Day 1 1986

Photo; Jayne and Terry Fincher
Photo: Hulton Archive/Getty

Nice pictures. I like Diana's matching purse & shoes. Did we see them again?? I can't remember.

Also, I believe that the man in the top picture is her friend (& in 1994, her rumoured lover) Oliver Hoare.

My ultimate favourite Ascot outfit hands down, the white linen dress with the silk dove grey tailcoat with pearlized buttons and widebrimmed hat worn in 1988. The outfit was also worn to her brother's wedding.

The grey tailcoat is one of my all-time favorite outfits of hers!!

I have to admit that when it comes to a choice between Sarah's navy suit and Diana's navy stripes, I'll take Sarah's suit any day!!! I think Diana's outfit looks messy. Sarah's suit is simple but looks classy.

I love that red and purple suit shown at the very end. How elegant!!

Ascot 1986, Day Two, June 18:

imgrove0512.jpg
Tim Graham

Ascot 1986, Day Three, June 19:

I have never seen a full-length view of this outfit. Does anyone have one? ( I think that somebody said it's a tunic jacket worn over a black skirt.)

Majesty Magazine (I think) a 1986 People magazine Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

UmbrellaGirl,
I second the request!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to know how that outfit looked!

I hope someone has it, somewhere.:D

I think her sister Sarah wore it later at an engagement with Diana, if that helps.

Ascot 1987, Day One, June 16. Adry has posted two lovely pictures (this thread, Post 31) of Diana in her pale floral-print suit on this day. Here are some more.

All photos except the last: Tim Graham/ Corbis Sygma/APL
Last photo: Alpha

Ascot 1987, Day Two. There are 6 photos of Diana in her bold navy stripes in Post 30 of this thread, posted by Adry. Here are a few more. Photo: Hulton/Deutsch Collection/Corbis/APL

Photo: London Daily Mail/Sipa
In the last pic, the naughty girls are poking the friend ahead of them in the butt with their umbrellas, for which they got in trouble.

Some of my favourite photos of Diana were taken during her very first Ascot in 1981. It was so exciting to see her metamorphisis from young single woman into future princess!

umbrellagirl said:
Ascot 1986, Day Three, June 19: I have never seen a full-length view of this outfit. Does anyone have one? ( I think that somebody said it's a tunic jacket worn over a black skirt.)
I have a full length picture from Ebay & Diana is wearing a matching green skirt, not a black skirt. (Although personally, I think a black skirt would would have looked better). Sorry I can't post the picture - I don't know who the photographer is.

As Lady Jean mentioned, Sarah wore the outfit for a wedding in Sept 1988. In this picture, you can just see the top of the skirt.

Photo: Feature Flash (appearing in Majesty Magazine)

If I was Lady Sarah I would have said, "Don't you have anything else I could borrow?" :p That's just my opinion, though.

Ascot 1987, Day Three, June 18.
Here are two photos in addition to the three posted by Adry in Post 31 of this thread.

Source: Royalty magazine Photo: LNS

I don't believe Diana ever wore this dress again. It was a great dress, but a bit dramatic: eminently suitable for Ascot, but really, where else would you wear it?

I must admit, I'm happy that we never saw this suit again. I really didn't like the cut of it. However, I really like the colour and style of the hat. Did she wear it again?

Squidgy said:
I must admit, I'm happy that we never saw this suit again. I really didn't like the cut of it. However, I really like the colour and style of the hat. Did she wear it again?

I always thought that dress was one of the worst. But then how many of us could wear such large flowers on out backsides? LOL!

I think that dress was relegated to the back of the closet! I remember seeing it in a magazine at the time and thinking, "Ew". It just fit Diana's style.:eek:

Ascot 1988, Day One, June 14:

Photos: Royalty magazine; Majesty magazine

I always loved that polka-dot hat that matched the polka-dot dress.

And I think Squidgy is corrrect. That is Ascot '88. Diana wore the dress to the Derby in 1986 (it had a peplum attached then), then to a wedding and polo afterwards in 1987 (with the peplum removed), and to Ascot in 1988.

umbrellagirl said:
Ascot 1987, Day Three, June 18.
Is this hat (without the bow) the same kind of hat that she wore to Japan? Where it looked like a rising sun? It seems to look like it!

I don't like this outfit either. Personally, I think the bow in front looks silly. And it makes her look hippy, etc.

Yuck!!! :eek:

Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List

Dear all,

On my computer I have a lot of pictures of Diana. I didn't have a clue when and where the most pictures were taken, so I started organising my picture collection. My picture-progam (Picasa) showed labels for most pictures, containing date and location, so I was lucky with that :lol:

I discovered here that there are more Diana-fans, who would like dates and locations, so that's why I created a list with dates/events and locations I know of. No doubt that it isn't complete, and it may contain errors, but I hope that together we can work something out :flowers:

Feel free to print out the list to keep as reference and/or to correct/add dates and locations.

[EXPIRED LINK]

Check out 1983!!! Good lord! You can understand why diana felt so run down and sick!

Here are some other events from 1997

February 14-Opening the new renal unit at Great Ormond Street Hospital
March 9-Prince William's Confirmation
March 10-Memorial for photographer Terence Donovan, visit to a Centrepoint Homeless Centre
April 15-Meeting cystic fibrosis patients at the Royal Brompton Hospital
May 27-Opening a centre for the disabled
June 6-Visiting a Hindu Temple
June 12-Anti land mine speech at the Royal Geographic Society
June 17-Anti land mine speech in Washington D.C.
June 18-Red Cross anti land mine gala in D.C.

And for 1996

January 18-Launch of Childline's Birthday Appeal
January 29-Lunch with the American Correspondents Association
February 1-Performance of "La Boheme"
March 6-Visit to Neurology Hospital
March 7-Gala in aid of Harefield Hospital
June 27-Briefing by the National AIDS Trust
July 4-Gala in aid of the Shaukut Hospital in Pakistan
August 28-English National Ballet Headquarters visit
September 24-Breast cancer gala in D.C., breast cancer fundraising breakfast in D.C.
October 8-Launch of Capital Appeal at London Lighthouse
December 2-Centrepoint Christmas Campaign event
December 9-Visit to Leprosy Mission

Adry said:
1987 The Duchess Of York And Princess Diana Walking Together Through The Crowds At Royal Ascot Races
This is the same suit she wore on the state visit to the US and I think also in Poland.

Back
Top Bottom