Diana's Eating Disorders and Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that it affected them during her pregnancies, because they were healthy boys and are now strong, fit men. If there was any damage to them at all, I suppose that it was the psychological effect of having a mother who was ill, and having parents who were having relationship difficulties--whether the bulimia was the cause of the problems or a symptom of those problems.:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the artistocratic remark. Why don't you think so? From what I've seen in interviews with aristocrats and Royals, they seem to go out of their way to put themselves down or appear humble in spite of their station.

Self depreciating remarks in regards to one's station and way of life, is one thing. Self disgust, as was clearly the case, is another. That's why I don't think so.

I was wondering about Diana, Princess of Wales teeth. Does anyone no if her teeth were ruined from the acid from vomiting?

My sister-in-law had a very serious eating disorder and she where dentures now.:flowers:

AFAIK it depends on how often you clean your teeth. If she did it after each attack, nothing would have happened.

Didn't think of that. What about nails and hair?:flowers:

One of her beauticians--sorry, can't remember the lady's name or the source--said that she didn't believe that Diana's bulimia was as intense as she claimed, because her hair and skin were healthy.

You know, I agree on that.Her skin and hair were always radiant, not stringy (hair) or sallow and spotty (skin) that you often see,especially on fashion models today.It seemed like she did not vomit every meal daily, she actually had some food in her system most of the time.I wonder how true it all is.Poor woman.

I think at the time that Diana had admitted to bulimia and the Andrew Morton book came out, Diana was at her wits end, so in my opinion she probably exagerated a litle or things probably seemed a lot worse than they had, because afer she got out of themarriage so became healthier and a more positive person, not just with the public but with herself.

I believe that she got physically healthier in the early-and-mid-nineties; but I'm not convinced that she was happier. I think that she was in a downward spiral, still doing things to "get back at" her former in-laws and being self-destructive.

By 1997 I don't think the Princess was spiraling downward or self destructive to herself or towards the royal family she was on good terms with the Queen and Charles at the time of her death.

I read that Diana, Princess of Wales was on good terms with everyone. When it came out that Prince Charles was giving a 50th birthday for Camilla, Diana got upset and decided to overshadow the party with photos of her on vacation. But I feel that Diana would have finally gotten over Prince Charles and the Duchess marrying if she lived. And finally free of her demons.:);):)

One of her beauticians--sorry, can't remember the lady's name or the source--said that she didn't believe that Diana's bulimia was as intense as she claimed, because her hair and skin were healthy.

It's nonsense.

It can take years upon years before things like nails and hair start turning brittle.

Also, her skin was always fair so she had no colour to lose. Add to that the use of makeup and it would be near impossible to detect any real change in colouration. Again, it takes quite some time before the effects of Bulimia can come to surface.

Also someone made mention of cleaning the teeth straight away after a purge and subsequent vomit. That's the worst thing someone with this eating disorder can do. It doesnt clean the teeth, it actually increases the risk of a breakdown of enamel. The best thing to do is wash their mouth out.

Sometimes I wonder if Diana's having an eating disorder and actively talking about it actually glamorized bulimia. Here's a gorgeous princess--beautiful hair, beautiful skin, praised for her slim figure--who suffers from a real illness but looks healthy and beautiful. I can imagine a thought process where a person might think, "Diana is slim and beautiful. Perhaps if I do what she does, I can be the same."

You make a valid point. Bringing awareness to it can sometimes, depending on the indavidual, glarmorize the issue. Not that that is by any means the intention, but because much of society is of an impressionable nature (particularly teenagers and young adults) it can actually present itself as something worth "trying". Particulary when those talking of it in the public domain are idolised for their beauty, size etc...

It's a tricky subject.

In all the reading that I've done over the years, Diana is usually praised for talking about her bulimia publicly. Those who disagreed with her for exposing so much of her personal life tend to make the argument that royalty just doesn't do such things. But I've never seen an article suggesting the point that I've made. So it's good to know that someone thinks that it has some validity.:)

The problem that I've had with Diana's speeches about bulimia, married life, addiction, etc., is that--in the later years of her being Princess of Wales--the emphasis in her speeches seemed to be her getting her point across about her problems and her victimization. It was as though, rather than using her speeches to raise awareness about the organization she was addressing and encouraging them, she used the podium as a "bully pulpit" for her own agenda, portraying herself as a victim/heroine battling against the cold family and institution that she freely married into.

Being a "victim" was very much in vogue during the 90s, and sometimes I wonder how much Diana popularized that way of thinking, "Yes, I'm an addict/bulimic/homeless, but it has nothing to do with me."

Diana did do a lot of good for a lot of people. But perhaps she could have done even more good by not sending "coded" messages in her speeches. I actually prefer videos of her earlier speeches, such as the one that she made to the wives of the men serving in the Gulf, or even the rushed, nervous ones of the 80s. They were no less heartfelt than her mid-90s speeches, but they were less about her and more about the people she was addressing.

I think she did bring awareness to the disease, first and foremost, which until then, hard rarely been spoken of in public as a very real and serious psycholigical condition. To me it's natural that Diana spoke of it on a personal level because it was something very personal and to convey an understanding, she had to talk of her own personal experiences which is what she did.

At the same time, did she perhaps manipulate the opportunity to address an audience, thus turning it to her advantage on occasion? Possibly? I of course cannot say. I was never looking for an agenda.

Depression, anxiety, irrationality...it's all a part of bulimia. You can't have one without the other.

...The problem that I've had with Diana's speeches about bulimia, married life, addiction, etc., is that--in the later years of her being Princess of Wales--the emphasis in her speeches seemed to be her getting her point across about her problems and her victimization....perhaps she could have done even more good by not sending "coded" messages in her speeches.
I think you have made some very valid points here!

Thank you, muriel. I remember the young Princess of Wales with fondness, but there were some things that she did in her later years that I can't find a way to justify.

I was watching some of the Peter Settleton tapes last night on YouTube. I kept thinking, "How could you talk to a man you barely know about your sex life? How could you talk about slapping your father and then pushing your step-mother down the stairs without a hint of remorse?" And then this was the same man who encouraged her to spit out her pain in those speeches of the post-separation period. He also showed a lack of judgement, I think. To encourage a woman who was so self-absorbed to use her pain for dramatic effect in speeches was unprofessional at the very least.

Diana had many choices in life as we all do.She made a lot of wrong choices for which she paid dearly.Charles was evidently a bad choice for a husband in her particular case as he triggered off her bulimia. But Diana did not have to react to what he said to her in extremis. Her bulimia was the tip of a vaster problem I feel was never ever treated properly because she kept going into a circular neurosis regarding marriage and men which cost her her life.I know Diana always had pure intent and I have boundless respect for that. But she needed to break out of her pattern.Bulimia was the tip of the iceberg.

...as he triggered off her bulimia.

It's quite unfair, infact incorrect, to label Charles as having been the reason why Diana suffered an eating dissorder. Bulimia is characterized by more than one trigger.

Personality traits (addictive, obsessive), social values (the need to look and dress a certain way), stress (marital problems) and family history (childhood anxiety and exposure to an eating dissorder) all have a part to play.

I think that she tried very hard to be a good Princess of Wales and succeeded wonderfully in that. But I do think, also, that her troubled childhood contributed to her bulimia. If she had been a more secure person--secure in the love of her parents, for one thing--I don't think that Charles's remarks would have had the effect that they had.

It's quite unfair, infact incorrect, to label Charles as having been the reason why Diana suffered an eating dissorder. Bulimia is characterized by more than one trigger.

Personality traits (addictive, obsessive), social values (the need to look and dress a certain way), stress (marital problems) and family history (childhood anxiety and exposure to an eating dissorder) all have a part to play.
I said he triggered- it- not caused it- read again- one needs certain triggers and he was one.Idid not say he was the cause - the trigger. Diana had various triggers.One of the biggest ones was her persecution complex

My statement remains as is, though I acknowledge the correction. Diana's emotional state of mind, which was always fragile, triggered it. It's entirely likely that Diana would have had bulimia even if she hadn't have married Charles. Very likely infact.

Myself being someone who battled the said disease for the best part of a decade, I know what it's like. People can have an influence, to an extent, but it comes down to the person and the way they percieve themselves.

I think that is entirely psychological. This may be due to the lack of peaceful. I think there was quite a delicate structure.

This type of disorder is very difficult to treat, especially if the cause of the problems can not be changed. As in Diana's situation, her family situation and being a public person probably were the causes of her stress and sadness.

I think she was under alot of stress and because she wasable to control very little in her life she developed "mia" . I think that was the only thing she felt like she could control was herself [weight] My heart goes out to her she was a good person. < ed Warren >

Right, Chelly, after her death, Penny Junor, as a friend of Charles wrote a book claiming that Diana was mentally ill. The Telegraph showed evidence that Charles' office collaborated with the book. It was a letter between Mark Bolland and Junor that aked her to ask for help but be discreet with quotations.

Junor quotes what Diana was supposed to have said to Camilla privately, if Camilla didn't tell Junor, how would Junor know? Based on what Camilla and Charles 'reportedly' said, Diana was bonkers.

Book About Charles Stirs New Battle Royal - NYTimes.com

I don't doubt Camilla was present but I do think atleast for a short period of time he gave her up though I don't doubt that once the marriage began to crumble he brought Camilla back into his life. As for depression yes I so agree she herself that with PP you feel really depressed and I'm pretty sure that was a factor in the breakdown though I find oddly enough it seems to be underestimated in most books that I've read. I find they fail to mention it in detail in most books.

Last edited:
I, for one, can only go by Diana's actions and what she said. I have up to now read very little and am only just starting to look at the books available, etc. Most all of the 'spin' has been Diana's and I look at that 'text' and go from there.

One has only to watch and listen to the Panorama Interview to be aware that something was seriously amiss with the young woman. If there wasn't something amiss, then she was a cold-hearted manipulator, I'm afraid. There are examples of Diana lying in order to 'get back' at someone. What I have come to think of Diana is based on her words and her actions. To me, it is patently clear that she was unwell – and because of that she has always had my compassion. Insisting that she was not unwell forces me to see her in a harsher light, which has started to happen as I go into the details more, actually.

The quote from the psychiatrist is strange since bulimia, suicide threats, stalking, lying and attention seeking (among other things) are clear indications of emotional and mental problems. Diana reported the efforts of those around her to get her help or get her to seek help (apparently) and twisted it to be that they were saying she was loony and walking away from her. Her take on this doesn't wash. She says she was crying out for help and when help was offered she accuses that she was being seen as crazy – none of it makes sense except as the convoluted thinking of a person trying to have it all her way. Why should I take at face value the words of a woman who has demonstrated that she will fabricate the 'facts' when it suits her? Its a dilemma.

As I just read someone write: "Diana's fans did not really know her. Only a person who lived with her and has lived with people like her, day in and day out, could even begin to understand her and Charles' predicament."

Tyger you make good points. She was crying out for help then was offered help yet claimed that by offering her help they were claiming she was loony, doesn't make sense at all. We also have evidence she lied about falling down the stairs while pregnant with William. My friend sent me the original scan from The Sun the day after it happened and all the original reports claim she tripped from one or two steps not the grand suicide attempt she made it out to be. It's also very well documented in other books such as Diana: Story of a Princess or "Diana"

About Camilla I'm going to read about on what Penny Junor has to say since I also have that book but from everything I've heard the trouble of Camilla's presence by fact started after 1986.
Ooh Diana Story of a Princess has 2 versions of an apparent lunch Diana had with Camilla prior to the wedding it's quite interesting actually...either Diana came back and said "it went brilliantly we had a good understanding" or she said " she asked me if I was going to be hunting much...." It also says that she spent alot of time with Camilla and her husband at her house prior to the wedding which she found odd.

I actually really recommend watching that documentary it's on youtube or if not buying the book if you don't already have it, I find it to be one of the more balanced books about Diana and Charles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom