The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think your right on the money, jowabelle. It isn't the first time I've heard someone who's suffered an eating dissorder refer to themselves as an 'elephant'. To see only what the dissorder lets you see, and not what what is actually so...that Diana should have viewed herself as overweight and so associated herself with objects or creatures on a large scale was certainly the dissorder talking.

Having myself suffered an eating disorder during my teenage years, I acknowledge her statement as an admission of self loathing. I felt it too, though am glade to say I am since very well covered.
Quote:
Or it's a typical aristocratic self-deprecating remark.
I do not think so in the slightest.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Re the artistocratic remark. Why don't you think so? From what I've seen in interviews with aristocrats and Royals, they seem to go out of their way to put themselves down or appear humble in spite of their station.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And isn't it interesting that Diana compares herself to an elephant while dancing? I wonder if that comment isn't sypmtomatic of her eating disorder.

I wasn't sure if Diana ever said her eating disorder started when she was a teen. To my knowlage "which might not be as vast as some of yours" she always made refrence her honey moon as the start of her disorder.
This letter was said to be written in 1978 way before that time. I may be mistaken scince they said the letters were written between 1978-1982. I may have persumed this to be any earlier letter. ( Just thought I read it that way in on of the papers.)
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Diana apparently had no prior problems with her weight until during her engagement, when reportedly Charles made a comment to her about being "chubby". She visibly & rapidly lost a lot of weight prompted by that remark - even the Emmanuels said that every time she went for a wedding dress fitting they had to take it in more & more.

If you compare an engagement photo with the ones taken at the final wedding rehearsal, (about 3 months later) she had lost many pounds in weight. I don't doubt that pre-wedding nerves also played a part, but I've never read that there were any problems prior to that.

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...52113953&cdi=0

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...52113959&cdi=0
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Some of her biographies have stated that she started to have problems with eating disorders several years before she met Charles. As with so many other aspects of Diana's life, I suppose it depends which version a person decides to believe.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
...reportedly Charles made a comment to her about being "chubby".
You are right!! laterI was thinking about that & remenbered her stating that he had put his hand on her waist and said a bit chubby here right!!!
I also remenber reading somewhere that she was a nightmare for the dress makers having to take in the dress several times before the wedding. Thanks for the pics too. I never notice how much she really lost... the dress was very puffy ...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Some of her biographies have stated that she started to have problems with eating disorders several years before she met Charles. As with so many other aspects of Diana's life, I suppose it depends which version a person decides to believe.
Indeed it does. However, amongst all the pictures that have come to public notice of the young Diana (at any age) I don't recall a single one showing her looking very thin, in the way she did at several times after her engagement and marriage. Slim, yes, but in a normal healthy way and not ever "skinny".
Old 09-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that it would have been unusual for Diana not to have been conscious of her appearance even as a teenager. I was a teenager as well during mid-seventies to early 80s, and I remember how extreme thin-ness was being pushed even in Seventeen Magazine at the time. But there's quite a stretch between being self-conscious about one's weight and having an eating disorder, as everyone knows. I remember Diana talking about "pigging out" at boarding school in Her True Story, but she doesn't say anything about purging all that food.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Didn't she say that she copied her big sister with the induced vomiting, before she started seeing Charles?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that was in Sarah Bradford's biography but I'd have to check to be certain.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Yes, I think various sources stated it. I remember reading she considered Sarah as a model but I doubt that's a plausible reason to become anorexic ; it's an accumulation of many factors.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know, lots of girls start because they see a friend or sister losing weight this way and then it takes over their lives (so to speak).
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bradford says (page 39, paperback) that years after her sister's period of anorexia and bulimia, "Diana told patients at the Priory, a private clinic treating addictions on the outskirts of London, that she had first had symptoms of bulimia in the mid-seventies, attributing it to Sarah's experience: 'It started because Sarah was anorexic and I idolized her so much that I wanted to be like her'. Bradford goes on to say that if that was so, it did not affect her seriously because though Sarah had a severe problem and was taken to hospital, photos of Diana at the time showed no signs whatever of serious slimming.

From a completely lay point of view, it does seem to show a family susceptibility to dealing with stress in a certain way, and an example to follow.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't know, lots of girls start because they see a friend or sister losing weight this way and then it takes over their lives (so to speak).
I agree but I don't know if their motivation only comes from that. You can have Janis Joplin for idol and not be keen on drugs
There are many ways of becoming anorexic but every way leads to a deep psychological problem that keeps making you see a seriously altered image of yourself. So maybe at first she copied her sister but then, I believe other factors grafted to the initial reason and turned it into a vicious circle, even if she no longer idolized Sarah.

Because it matters...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

A high school friend had eating disorders and she was told by the doctors that it is physical as well as psychological and it can run in families. Her own experience was with both bulimia and anorexia although she was mostly anorexic.

As far as I know from what she told me, women just don't suddenly get an eating disorder and families can miss the symptoms especially if the girl is quiet.

We were both greatly interested in the life of Karen Carpenter who really suffered from it. From what I remember, seeing herself on television which makes you look 10 pounds heavier put Karen in a tailspin and she started dieting fanatically. Some signs were there before but they really came out when she and Richard became famous.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Karen's death was so tragic, at the time of death in 1983, I beleive Anorexia wasn't really known to the general public and she didn't have the treatment that is avaliable today. In an interview her brother said a person asked him back in the late 70s if Karen had cancer because she was gaunt looking.

Diana's eating disorder wasn't as bad as Karen's but it could have gotten there if she did not receive treatment. On wiki (not really reliable) I read that she was inspired by Karen to stop her disorder.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

If she said that, it wasn't close to truthfulnss. Bulimia was supposedly the cause for her public fainting during Expo 86. I believe it was the Andrew Morton ghost-bio that said she was getting professional treatment in the early 90's. And she was still reported to have bulimic episodes as late as her Panorama piece.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
A high school friend had eating disorders and she was told by the doctors that it is physical as well as psychological...
A very good friend has said a similar thing, one of her school friends suddenly started to lose a bit of weight and everyone put it down to her shooting up in height. She died weighing a mere 3 stone something, because in those days there was no diagnosis, let alone treatments available.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a very good friend who suffered for 3 years of anorexia/bulimia. It all started because she wanted to go on a diet, to lose a bit of weight (she found herself plump although she wasn't at all; at least, not for me.) Then she realized that not eating would accelerate the process and she didn't feel the secondary effects of not eating, at first. Anorexia began for her; she couldn't eat anymore so when she saw how weak she had become, she had some bulimia crisis which directly lead her to the hospital for 2 months. She only attended 3 months of a school year and she only started coming back regularly to school this year.
It's always terrible to see these girls suffering of this disease; they are prisoners of their mind which keeps showing them a bad picture of themselves. I think psychological problems as such are the hardest ones to get rid of.

Because it matters...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I wonder if Diana's eating disorder ever affected Prince William or Harry or the parenting thereof?

Tags
anorexia, bulimia, diana princess of wales, eating disorders, princess diana