The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-01-2006, 02:17 AM
aussiechick12's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 16
Diana's Charity Work and Patronages

Hi everyone --

I'm looking for information on Diana's Charity work and Patronages. The things I would like to know are what charities did she do work for, if there are any photos of Diana visiting or information about those charities. And the same for her patronages.
I've been looking on the internet but there doesn't seem to be a lot. I've also looked around the forum but to my disappiontment I could find anything!

Thank you in advance!
Emma
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
List of Diana's charities, with links to their websites:

http://www.thedianaring.com/charities.htm
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2006, 01:30 PM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Here's a specific link on the Barnardo's UK website about Diana's work with them. http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_a...s_of_wales.htm
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM
naida's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , Canada
Posts: 33
http://www.bbcamerica.com/britain/princess_diana/princess_diana_charity.jsp
http://ddickerson.igc.org/princess-diana/dianas-charities-1.html
http://www.aegis.com/news/re/2002/RE021101.html
http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/diana/readingroom/sept9798/9.html

Diana has not only proved her compassion for sufferers, but has also shown the courage to take risks she believes are worthwhile. Without publicity coverage, Diana would visit clinics, some on her own without detective protection, to meet and chat with the patients.

Diana visited many young lepers in Indonesia. One of the hospital's doctors quoted the effects of her visits: "She did so much more than she had to. She need only shake their hand and move on, but she sat on their beds and listened and talked to them. Then she joined the children in a game of bowls, which they loved. She brought happiness and smiles to those children".

Not only did Diana personally reach out to victims of terrifying diseases, but she also encouraged others to donate their time and money to these worthy causes. Diana showed it wasn't necessary to be apprehensive towards the victims of the various diseases she worked with. Princess Diana lived an influential life and her efforts will never be forgotten.

There are many images on Getty, Corbis and Isifa.
As for Patronage you can look in here http://www.theinternetforum.net/roya...?topic=15434.0
__________________
Remembering the Past, Building the Future.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Oppie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 537
I'm not sure if anyone from the Diana Ring looks at this website but there is a mistake on one of her charites, she was a part of BirthRight a fundrasing drive under the Royal College of Obstricans. Not BirthRight International which is what you have listed, they are two VERY different organizations.
__________________
Like a pirate map, but way cooler.

Map for the British Royals
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2006, 06:13 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: glasgow, United Kingdom
Posts: 36
I thought you guys might enjoy this short but moving video about diana's chartiy work.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:18 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
That was a very nice video.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
I'm not sure if anyone from the Diana Ring looks at this website but there is a mistake on one of her charites, she was a part of BirthRight a fundrasing drive under the Royal College of Obstricans. Not BirthRight International which is what you have listed, they are two VERY different organizations.
Thank you. I will change that, and the info is much appreciated.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Oppie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 537
Sassie

I did some more research Birthright that Diana supported became Well Being of Women

Here is a link to there website http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp

Here is a link to there history and the part about changing the name and a part about Diana as patron http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=16 (paragraph 6)
__________________
Like a pirate map, but way cooler.

Map for the British Royals
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Charleston, SC, United States
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Sassie

I did some more research Birthright that Diana supported became Well Being of Women

Here is a link to there website http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp

Here is a link to there history and the part about changing the name and a part about Diana as patron http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=16 (paragraph 6)
Marvelous! Thank you so much for that information, Oppie. I plan to update that page on my site before Christmas, and will definitely be including this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
I thought a bit about Diana and the men in her life and I became aware of what Richard Kay has said at the inquest - which nobody has commented on till now, but which threw the last bit of respect I had for Diana out of the window:

Kay said Diana had told him that shortly before she died that she wanted to cut down her activities against landmines and work for a Fayed-financed series of hospices to be called The Diana Hospices.

At first I didn't think much about that but then I realised that as soon as she had started to date the nephew of a prominent weapon dealer, she let herself buy off her ant-landmines campaign by the promise of the weapon dealer's in-law to get another charitable project, one which only her name on it... Gosh, that turns me off! What kind of woman was that? Was it really so easy to bribe her?
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:23 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
I don't beleive anything that comes out of that man's mouth. Almost everyweek Kay writes a ridiculous article on Diana; and the most dumb that I read this past month was the one in which Camilla wore the RFO he wrote that Camilla wearing the same order that Diana wore. I don't put any belief in this man's words.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I don't beleive anything that comes out of that man's mouth. Almost everyweek Kay writes a ridiculous article on Diana; and the most dumb that I read this past month was the one in which Camilla wore the RFO he wrote that Camilla wearing the same order that Diana wore. I don't put any belief in this man's words.
I think it is a difference if he writes it in his paper or if he says that at an official inquest. He has never written about that information but when question by solicitors and the Coroner, he had to answer.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
But why would the Princess do that, and risk public backlash?

IMO I just hear BS coming from him.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:34 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Like many times, I don't think she knew what she was doing. I believe she thought it was a good idea to use her name for a cause since many charities had raised alot of money just from her patronage. And, like the press showed us, her name worths alot. But I agree, using a weapon dealer to create such a project is very unwise. Although, for seeing how Fayed talks and finds his arguments to defend his causes, Diana would have jumped from a cliff if asked to do so. Because, in the end, Fayed would have won alot from this project too.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Like many times, I don't think she knew what she was doing. I believe she thought it was a good idea to use her name for a cause since many charities had raised alot of money just from her patronage. And, like the press showed us, her name worths alot. But I agree, using a weapon dealer to create such a project is very unwise. Although, for seeing how Fayed talks and finds his arguments to defend his causes, Diana would have jumped from a cliff if asked to do so. Because, in the end, Fayed would have won alot from this project too.
I have no problem with Diana wanting to use Al-Fayed's money to do something charitable. I just am shocked that she allegedly wanted to lessen her engagement against landmines and personally doubt that the fact that the Fayed's are involved with weapon dealer's had nothing to do with it.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Well like I said, as naive as she could be sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me that Fayed had convinced her of letting this cause down. The landmine is one of the most controvertial and difficult cause to defend. I remember seeing a video when Diana was in Angola and someone of the Government in Britain had critized her so badly that she didn't know what to say to reply and defend herself.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I thought a bit about Diana and the men in her life and I became aware of what Richard Kay has said at the inquest - which nobody has commented on till now, but which threw the last bit of respect I had for Diana out of the window:

Kay said Diana had told him that shortly before she died that she wanted to cut down her activities against landmines and work for a Fayed-financed series of hospices to be called The Diana Hospices.

At first I didn't think much about that but then I realised that as soon as she had started to date the nephew of a prominent weapon dealer, she let herself buy off her ant-landmines campaign by the promise of the weapon dealer's in-law to get another charitable project, one which only her name on it... Gosh, that turns me off! What kind of woman was that? Was it really so easy to bribe her?
Well commented on Jo. I don't think she saw beyond 'The Diana Hospices', her name as a caring person, forever immortalised in lights, (so to speak). I have always maintained that if there had been no photo opportunities with the charities, Diana would not have been interested. You hear of C & C giving money as well as time to their charities but I cannot come up with one occasion when Diana did the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-26-2007, 03:43 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Charity isn't all about giving money. Anyone can give money to a charity but are some willing to go to these third world countries in which the charities support? The Princess did.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Well commented on Jo. I don't think she saw beyond 'The Diana Hospices', her name as a caring person, forever immortalised in lights, (so to speak). I have always maintained that if there had been no photo oportunities with the charities, Diana would not have been interested. You hear of C & C giving money as well as time to their charities but I cannot come up with one occasion when Diana did the same.
I only remember that after she ceased to appear as "The Princess of Wales" in public, she send most of her charities down the drain. Okay, then I thought that's understandible because her position had changed but in the meantime I heard so many things about how the RF still supported her or payed for people to support her and would have done so in the future,IMHO if she had continued, so I haven't bought that argument for a long time. Or just look at Countess Alexandra of the Danish Royal family - she still get support for her charities and the people there still want her, even though she left the family to marry again. There is even talk of naming her the Secretary Gerneal of the Danish Red Cross, so I don't think her move away from the prince matters that much when it comes to support for charities.
__________________

__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anti-landmine, charities, diana princess of wales, landmine, patronages, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]