The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There are a lot of issues like demining these land mines that have been worked on by a lot of people long before Diana ever heard of just how bad these mines affected people. What happened with Diana is that once she heard about it and learned the facts and decided she wanted to do something about it, being who she was, this issue was brought to the attention of a multitude of people that perhaps hadn't realized the severity of the issue or even not had heard about it at all. It was the same with William and the ivory trade. Once he realized that something more should be done, he decided it was something he wanted to put his heart and soul into and being who he is, with United for Wildlife, he was able to greatly strengthen the effort and get a lot more people on board and involved working together to make a change.

Many problems exist and are being campaigned against to make a difference such as mental health, domestic abuse and sex crimes and a multitude of others that I'm sure we could name. Its when someone high profile such as a royal or a celebrity jumps on the bandwagon and speaks out that more people pay attention and want to work with the cause or support it. It makes all the difference in the world.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
It has been well reported that Diana had planned to visit China, though the purpose was not clear.

On June 23, 1997 Diana had a lunch with Tina Brown and Anna Wintour at the Four Seasons restaurant, New York City. They pledged that they would not disclose the contents of their conversation. However, obviously Tina Brown broke her words very soon. In her Sep 6,1997 Newyorker article, Tina Brown wrote a great deal about their conversation over that lunch. Especially, she wrote these:

Quote:
I’d really, really like to go to China,” she (Diana) says. “I’m very good at sorting people’s heads out.” She says this straight-facedly, and I note that, like many stars with a gift for self-projection, she is almost wholly devoid of irony. But in her case the therapized phrases point to a quality of driven earnestness. It’s easy to understand how she could throw herself into a public role, and just as easy, sadly, to see why she would bore Prince Charles. [2]

And then in her book "The Diana Chronicles" (2007), Tina Brown wrote these:

Quote:
An overdose of public adoration had made her almost delusional. She told me over lunch that she thought she could resolve the conflicts of Northern Ireland. “I’m very good at sorting people’s heads out.” [3]
What was the big story in the summer of 1997....
What was the big story on July 1 1997....

It was not Diana's birthday.

Look at the timing of her remarks, whether they were about Ireland or China.

On July 1, 1997 no matter what Diana did she would not have received the
same level of publicity that Prince Charles received.

So Diana wanted to visit China.

Let see what Prince Charles was doing in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_K...dover_ceremony

Quote:
Diana visiting Red China, it would be a real big news, and would attract a lot of attention on a global scale.
Seriously do you think Diana would have received any positive attention, if she visited China after Prince Charles participated in the handover of Hong Kong.

No I do not think so. She would have been a laughingstock. The tabloids would have had a field day.

She would have been ridiculed.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana wasn't talking about getting on a plane to China the next day in the conversation with Tina Brown, who incidentally made money from Diana with a biography (not all critical) and magazine articles. If she had visited China several months afterwards, in the late autumn for instance, she would not have been a laughing stock, especially when campaigning on a serious issue like land mines.

There were many, many times when an appearance by Diana sucked the oxygen over the things Charles said and did, relegating them to well inside the pages of the newspapers of the day.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

It was a RF poster who made the assumption that Diana wanted to visit China as part of a landmines campaign.

Diana, herself, made no mention of landmines or the reason she wanted to visit.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
It was a RF poster who made the assumption that Diana wanted to visit China as part of a landmines campaign.

Diana, herself, made no mention of landmines or the reason she wanted to visit.

It is a book written by a Chinese in 2004 claiming that, right before her death, Diana had contacted the Red Cross of Hong Kong to arrange her visit to China to talk about Landmine. [1]

Sir David Tang said in many occasions that Diana had also asked him to arrange her visit to China. On the plane from southern France to Paris on Aug 30, Diana was still calling David Tang to check about the issue. [2]

Shortly after her death, the top official representative of Beijing in Hongkong, Ma Yu Zhen, said in a TV interview he was going to meet Diana when she was supposed to visit Hong Kong in Sep 1997. [3]

References:
[1] Su Fei, ``Beauty and Sadness: A true Diana", 1 June 2004. (苏菲,“一个真实的戴安娜”)
[2] "风中之烛十年未灭", 31 Aug 2007.
[3] "风流王妃:风采曾莅唐人街,知音更在香港岛 陆沪鹏 新浪博客", 30 July 2010.
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
-- The Road Less Travelled
Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Seriously do you think Diana would have received any positive attention, if she visited China after Prince Charles participated in the handover of Hong Kong.

No I do not think so. She would have been a laughingstock. The tabloids would have had a field day.

She would have been ridiculed.
I don't understand why you would think Diana would have been a laughingstock if she visited China. If you read the eulogy the Chinese authority issued on her death, definitely they didn't treat her as a laughing stock; we simply didn't treat any guest of us as laughing stock. Actually, you can see they held high esteem of her.

I didn't have any clue why you would say she would be a laughing stock to visit China after Charles' attending of the handover of HongKong on July 1st, 1997. I assume you said this, because you think the British would hate Chinese because of the handover. Come on, the decision of handover was made in early 1980's. So by 1997, the British people had had long enough time to come to terms with this.

I actually think the British would be happy to see British presence returned to Hong Kong so quickly after the handover. You see, the handover just happened on July, then merely two months latter, in September, Diana would come to visit Hong Kong. It just like, British left, then British return immediately.
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Hi Anbrida. Good to see you back in action here at TRF. I just wanted to let you know that your work that you've taken the time to compile from various sources on the life and times of Diana, Princess of Wales is appreciated. It is quite obvious that you admired her so much.

Many, many times when someone does a search about someone royal, what pops up is various links to threads here at TRF in regards to that royal. That's why I believe that TRF is not only an informative discussion forum but also serves as a vast archive of information that can be found in one place.

Once again, thank you!
Thank you for your nice words.

But it is not only admiration which drove me to do all this work. There are a lot of coincidences happened on me, as a result they brought me into this research. I wanted to find out the truth, such that I can see whether those things I encountered were mere coincidences or, you might think I am crazy to say that, the will of a higher power. Honestly speaking, I want to see whether there is really a God, and whether there is afterlife.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Majesty

I don't think that Diana would have been a laughingstock. Not at all. I can imagine her travelling the roads with many people lined up and clapping.

Quote:
I don't understand why you would think Diana would have been a laughingstock if she visited China. If you read the eulogy the Chinese authority issued on her death, definitely they didn't treat her as a laughing stock; we simply didn't treat any guest of us as laughing stock. Actually, you can see they held high esteem of her.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I didn't have any clue why you would say she would be a laughing stock to visit China after Charles' attending of the handover of HongKong on July 1st, 1997. I assume you said this, because you think the British would hate Chinese because of the handover. Come on, the decision of handover was made in early 1980's. So by 1997, the British people had had long enough time to come to terms with this.

I actually think the British would be happy to see British presence returned to Hong Kong so quickly after the handover. You see, the handover just happened on July, then merely two months latter, in September, Diana would come to visit Hong Kong. It just like, British left, then British return immediately.

What is said about a person in a eulogy, especially when they die young is different than what was said about them while alive.

Diana was the one contacting people.Her actions and motives were being criticized.

Her visit to Pakistan and her interview in Le Monde newspaper were criticized. The Le Monde interview was published on August 27, 1997.

Any visit to a political region would have been criticized. Visiting Hong Kong after the handover would have made her look desperate for attention.

If she wanted to visit Hong Kong going in September would only have opened her up for criticism. After the fallout of the Le Monde interview any international visit would have opened her up for criticism and mockery.

She died a few days after the Le Monde interview. In this interview she describes the British press as "ferocious.

The British press would have been "ferocious" if she had visited Hong Kong.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

No one knows whether or not Diana would have been criticized/mocked for visiting China, so it's pointless to keep going around and around. Furthermore, this whole discussion is off-topic. Let's get back on-topic, which is Diana's charity work and patronages.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing we do know is that Diana was to be in the area and a trip to China would not have been a stretch to do. I just remembered reading about the chrysanthemum that was named after Charlotte and recalled that there was a mention that Diana had an orchid named after her and that she was scheduled to fly out to Singapore to see it but died two weeks prior to the trip.

Unfortunately I cannot find an itinerary or purpose for going to Singapore at that time but I hardly think she would make the trip solely to view an orchid. Perhaps someone else remembers more than I do.

Prince William, Kate see Princess Diana orchid in Singapore - CBS News
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM

i don't know if i'm posting in the right topic but i was skimming through this topic one night (i think it was this one anyway!) and i read that Diana took a child with Cerebral Palsy to the theatre and i'd like to read that link as i suffer from CP myself and the link was outdated thanks :)
Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Majesty

That sounds like something she would do.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Certainly does! wish it was me haha but if i met her i'd probably be a bad influence and turn her to using cassette tapes instead of CDs
Old 05-05-2016, 02:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Sure sounds like her kinda activity, her ease and comfort around people with all manner of difficulties is an inspiration to us all.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
TDiana ever heard of just how bad these mines affected people. What happened with Diana is that once she heard about it and learned the facts and decided she wanted to do something about it, being who she was, this issue was brought to the attention of a multitude of people that perhaps hadn't realized the severity of the issue or even not had heard about it at all.

Many problems exist and are being campaigned against to make a difference such as mental health, domestic abuse and sex crimes and a multitude of others that I'm sure we could name. Its when someone high profile such as a royal or a celebrity jumps on the bandwagon and speaks out that more people pay attention and want to work with the cause or support it. It makes all the difference in the world.
Of course there were many people who worked on the landmines issue before Diana did, but they werent getting the press coverage. SHE may not have known about it (any more than most people did) but once she did have someone approach her and ask for help with publicising the issue she really IMO threw herself into the work of doing this. Her work was valuable in pubclising the problem just as the work of other people who were trying to get them banned
Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course there were many people who worked on the landmines issue before Diana did, but they werent getting the press coverage. SHE may not have known about it (any more than most people did) but once she did have someone approach her and ask for help with publicising the issue she really IMO threw herself into the work of doing this. Her work was valuable in pubclising the problem just as the work of other people who were trying to get them banned
The publicity was welcome but we really didn't need it at that point for the treaty. The conference was scheduled and negotiations on the final wording had already started before Diana got involved. There is not one country that signed the treaty because of Diana's involvement. IIRC, there was one country that pushed up its vote on the treaty after her death, but it was not a manufacturer or exporter of landmines, so it didn't make much difference.

In fact, we did get a lot of press coverage, although it obviously not as memorable. There were front page articles in major newspaper around the world, we had segments on 60 Minutes, Nightline, 20/20, which are huge news programs in the U.S. I know that the major news networks all over Europe had segments about it.

The campaign was unprecedented because relief agencies were the main impetus for an international treaty. That had never happened before. Our coalition distributed lesson plans for schools around the world and encouraged students to write their leaders. Our PR people actually did a good job.

After Diana's photo ops, there was an increase in donations, which is always welcome. The publicity lifted everyone's spirits, which is nice but not really necessary when you are committed to a cause. Immediately after the treaty was executed, most agencies turned their attention to the ban on cluster bombs, which was just as big of problem. That campaign was also successful even without all the press attention. That treaty has fewer signatories but the campaign is less mature than the landmine ban efforts.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 AM
Serene Highness

I can tell you that very few people knew about the issue before Diana's involvement. I believe that it helped to push for public opinion to be on the side of getting rid of the mines..
Old 07-31-2016, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
One thing we do know is that Diana was to be in the area and a trip to China would not have been a stretch to do. I just remembered reading about the chrysanthemum that was named after Charlotte and recalled that there was a mention that Diana had an orchid named after her and that she was scheduled to fly out to Singapore to see it but died two weeks prior to the trip.

Unfortunately I cannot find an itinerary or purpose for going to Singapore at that time but I hardly think she would make the trip solely to view an orchid. Perhaps someone else remembers more than I do.

Prince William, Kate see Princess Diana orchid in Singapore - CBS News
In spite of the headlines in the article linked below I don't think that Diana had a trip to Singapore in the pipeline. The directors of the Botanic Gardens in Singapore had named a new orchid after Diana shortly before she died and they were going to present it to her when next she visited the Far East.

Jamie Lowther Pinkerton, William's then Private Secretary said in August 2012 when the Cambridges were going on their Far Eastern tour that they would visit the Botanic Gardens on September 11th and see the orchid Diana 'never had a chance to see in person....the intention was for the Princess to see it at some point.'

Duke of Cambridge to complete tour planned by Princess Diana - Telegraph
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

When will the US actually sign the Treaty? It hasn't as yet according to my research.

Tags
anti-landmine, charities, diana princess of wales, landmine, patronages, princess diana