The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Somehow, I have never seen these, even though they were posted so long ago! They bring a big smile to my face......

Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Willesden teenager wins Princess Diana award:
Willesden teenager wins Princess Diana award - Schools - Kilburn Times

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I bet Diana has a big smile on her face. Know I do....
Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Majesty

A London Aids centre made famous by frequent visits by the late Princess of Wales is to be sold because the Terrence Higgins Trust charity can no longer afford its upkeep-
"Charity bosses admit that news of the London Lighthouse’s closure will be “upsetting” for people who have connections with the former hospice, which opened in 1988 and was one of the first to treat patients with Aids."
Aids charity makes 'upsetting' decision to sell centre Diana visited - Princess Diana Remembered

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A London Aids centre made famous by frequent visits by the late Princess of Wales is to be sold because the Terrence Higgins Trust charity can no longer afford its upkeep-
"Charity bosses admit that news of the London Lighthouse’s closure will be “upsetting” for people who have connections with the former hospice, which opened in 1988 and was one of the first to treat patients with Aids."
Aids charity makes 'upsetting' decision to sell centre Diana visited - Princess Diana Remembered
The work isn't stopping (that is important) - it's only a building. Buildings, objects, jewellery and clothes connected with Diana get sold on a regular basis.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That picture of Diana makes me smile.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
That picture of Diana makes me smile.

I like that she was full of life and enjoyed visiting her charities and helping others.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Majesty

Diana's Speeches at Turning Point:

Speech on Depression-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Majesty

Princess Diana land mine charity's workers kidnapped by Taliban in Afghanistan-
Princess Diana land mine charity's workers kidnapped by Taliban in Afghanistan - World News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Majesty

Halo Trust landmine charity suspends founder Guy Willoughby-
BBC News - Halo Trust landmine charity suspends founder Guy Willoughby

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Would this not be more accurately in Harry's threads as he is the present royal involved?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Nobility

A very lovely story told by Diana's chef

http://nypost.com/2007/08/01/dish-on-di/

Quote:
I’d never done charity work in my life till I met Diana. But having met her and seeing firsthand how she touched people, it inspired me. One day the princess came by and said, “No lunch for me today, Darren, I’m going out.” “Off to a girly lunch?” I asked. And she said, “No, I’m going to see a little boy who’s dying of AIDS.” And I had a lump in my throat, and I said, “Wow. What can you say or do to a little boy like that?” She said, “If by telling him one of my jokes – and you know how bad my jokes are – and if by holding his hand and chatting with him, I could take his mind off the pain for 30 minutes, it will have been worth it to me.”
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I love that story. Made me cry.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Nobility

Diana's dairy -- her visit to Mother Teresa's hospice in Calcutta

Diana's dairy about her visit to Mother Teresa's hospice in Calcutta

Quote:
Today something very profound touched my life. I went to Mother Teresa's home in Calcutta and found the direction I've been searching for all these years. The Sisters sang to me on arrival, a deeply spiritual experience and I soared to such great heights in my spirit. The light shone from within these ladies, saints for want of a better word - such love came from their eyes and their touch was full of warmth. I was then taken by Sister Fredericka to the chapel to pray with the Novices and Sisters - they sang the Lord's Prayer and with our shoes off we prayed together on our knees. Next I saw our Mother's love for children, abandoned or just afflicted by nature in some way. Malnutrition and TB was common amongst these little people. I picked up a little boy who was blind and deaf - I hugged him so tightly, hoping he could feel my love and healing coming through.

I gazed at this alarmingly large number of children whom were without parental care but was somewhat reassured by the care the Sisters were showing. After an hour there, I was taken to Mother's hospice for the dying and there was the greatest impact.... Hundreds of beds lined the room with such sick men and women, some crying, some sleeping and some dying - dying with dignity with a "carer" beside them. I knew the individual was so happy to be leaving this place under Mother Teresa's roof - probably the first time in their lives that someone had cared for them. Ironically, at one bed there was a box of chocolates. I was told by the Sisters that the contents were the only piece of food that the 'patients' would allow to pass their lips.

One particular gentleman had to be persuaded to eat his and so I placed it in his mouth myself. He had TB.

What an enlightening experience for me - it felt so right to be there, to be beside these sick people as they prepared to finish their stay on this planet. The emotion running through that hospice was very strong and the effect it had on me was how much I wanted and longed to be a part of all this on a global scale.

I have a deep feeling of a mission to be fulfilled. It has set me apart from others for a long time now. I had my questions answered in Calcutta and I wish that it was possible to put my true feelings on to paper, but they run too deep and would frighten those around me by their intensity.

The Sisters were Angels, such kindness came out of them and I prayed with them yet again upstairs in their chapel. It was all serene and, on reflection, a sacred moment in time. On my return to the UK I am a changed person once again... I've learned a great deal and my energies are restored to even greater strength. I have an enormous amount inside me that I want to share with those who suffer or those who require light in their dark existences.

The power comes from within and having responsibility gives us the power to make changes in our lives...maybe it's time!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Please note that off topic posts have been deleted.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Responding to Landmines: A Modern Tragedy and its Solutions

Diana, Princess of Wales

For the mine is a stealthy killer. Long after conflict is ended, its innocent victims die or are wounded singly, in countries of which we hear little. Their lonely fate is never reported ...

Some people chose to interpret my visit as a political statement. But it was not. I am not a political figure. As I said at the time, and I'd like to re-iterate now, my interests are humanitarian. That is why I felt drawn to this human tragedy. This is why I wanted to play down my part in working towards a world-wide ban on these weapons.

I saw the fine work being done by the Red Cross and other agencies to replace lost limbs. But making prostheses is a costly as well as a complicated business. For example; a young child will need several different fittings as it grows older. Sometimes, the severity of the injury makes the fitting of an artificial limb impossible. There are never enough resources to replace all the limbs that are lost.

As the Red Cross have expressed it: "Each victim who survives, will incur lifetime expenses for surgery and prosthetic care totalling between £2,000 and £3,000."

There are said to be around 110 million mines lurking somewhere in the world - and over a third of them are to be found in Africa! Angola is probably more heavily mined than anywhere else, because the war went on for such a long time, and it invaded so much of the country. So that country is going to be infested with mines, and will suffer many more victims. And this brings me to one of the main conclusions I reached after this experience.

Even if the world decided tomorrow to ban these weapons, this terrible legacy of mines already in the earth would continue to plague the poor nations of the Globe. "The evil that men do, lives after them."

And so, it seems to me, there rests a certain obligation upon the rest of us...

If an international ban on mines can be secured it means, looking far ahead, that the world may be a safer place for this generation's grandchildren.

But for this generation in much of the developing world, there will be no relief, no relaxation. The toll of deaths and injuries caused by mines already there, will continue.
Landmine speech on June 12th, 1997.

Responding To Landmines famous speech by Princess Diana
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
-- The Road Less Travelled
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Princess Diana: The Last Crusade By Lord Deedes

She decided to keep out of the minefields on this trip, and instead spent most of time visiting the many victims. Sensibly, she insisted on setting at least 30 minutes for each sojourn. People who have experienced tragedy in their lives need time in which to tell their tale.

Apart from demonstrating her already well-known humanitarian qualities, what did Princess Diana hope to achieve by the Bosnia mission? That is a serious question, to which there is a serious answer.

Much of the world suddenly hopefully towards an international ban on the use of anti-personnel mines. To attribute this to the Princess of Wales would be a mistake. The main thrust behind the movement comes from Canada, where to date 110 nations have joined what is called the Ottawa process.

For victims of anti-personnel mines, past, present and future, a ban will achieve nothing. That is one factor that exercised the Princess Wales. The move towards a ban on mines is mainly a political matter. Raising more support for crippled victims is a humanitarian mission -- and expensive.

A man living off the land who loses a leg has lost his livelihood. Fitting and maintaining an artifical limb costs at least pounds 5,000. A child will require a succession of replacement limbs as it grows. Something is being done towards these needs, but not nearly enough. The trip to Bosnia was designed to focus attention on these problems.
Majesty Magazine 1997 :* Princess Diana's Last Crusade* - Princess Diana Remembered

Three Thank-you Letters Diana wrote on Aug 11, 1997

Quote:
Diana's letter to Jerry White, co-founder of Landmine Survivors Network, Aug 11, 1997.

"I was so pleased to be able to gain some insight into the issues facing victims and their families.*Their tragic stories are a desperately sad reflection of man's inhumanity to man.*The victims I met and their senselessly inflicted injuries have stiffened my resolve to ensure their needs for care and support are not overlooked in the search for an agreement to outlaw landmines"
Quote:
Diana's letter to Keneth R. Rutherford, co-founder of LSN, Aug 11, 1997.

"I hope that you felt that all your hard work was worthwhile in raising awareness of the plight of survivors and helping to ensure that they are not forgotten in the framework of negotiations for a ban on anti-personnel landmines. I could not help but be intensely moved by the needless and senseless of the injures of the victims I met and, no less so, by the sensitive care and support they receive from their families. You should be justifiably proud of the wonderful work you are doing to bring hope and a sense of personal values to those who have suffered so much at the hands of these terrible weapons"
Quote:
Diana's letter to humanitarian campaigner Dilys Cheetham, Aug 11, 1997

Thank you very much for writing to tell me about the wonderful work you are doing by taking aid to the refugee camps around Mostar and in arranging for children to go abroad for prosthesis.

There was not enough time for me to visit the Mostar area whilst I was in Bosnia, but I was able to visit a number of anti-personnel landmine victims and their families. I could not help but be deeply moved by the experience which hardened my resolve to ensure that the world does not forget that those who have been so needlessly maimed by these terrible weapons will need care and support for many years to come"
References:
[1] “Diana 1961-1997: Remembering: Landmines Vow In Her Last Letters; Princess: I’ll fight for ban”, The Mirror, Sep 10, 1997.
[2] Keneth R. Rutherford, “Disarming States: The International Movement to Ban Land-mines”, 2011.
[3] “Diana’s last official letter”, Daily Mail, April 24, 2014.
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
Old 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Nobility

The Charity Diana Wanted to Setup-- Diana's telephone conversation with Richard Kay on Aug 30, 1997.

Quote:
"Six hours before the Princess of Wales and the man she loved were killed in a paparazzi car chase, she telephoned me from Paris. She told me she had decided to radically change her life. She was going to complete her obligations to her charities and to the anti-personnel landmines cause and then, around November, would completely withdraw from her formal public life. She was dreaming of being a private person.

"In my view, as someone close to the Princess for almost five years, Dodi Al Fayed was a significant factor in that decision. She was in love with him and, perhaps more important, she believed that he was in love with her and that he believed in her. I cannot say for certain that they would have married but in my view it was likely.

None of this would mean, she explained, an end to the good works that she had become so closely identified with. Dodi Al Fayed's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, had agreed to finance a charity for the victims of mines and, with Dodi's encouragement she also had sketched out the framework of a plan to open hospices for the dying all over the world"
Memories Of Diana - The Diana I Knew - By Richard Kay* - Princess Diana Remembered

July 10, Diana wrote a letter to Mr. and Mrs. Brian Isfeld, whose son, Master Corporal Mark R. Isfeld, was killed on June 21, 1994, while clearing landmines in Croatia.

Quote:
As a mother myself, I cannot begin to imagine our heartache of having lost your wonderful son, who was obviously so brave and dedicated. I truly believe anyone who undertakes the horrendous task of demining, must indeed be a very special and courageous person.

I am extremely grateful that I have been given the opportunity to help, in some way, to highlight the horror of these dreadful weapons. I have received many, many letters of support from all over the world and with this encouragement, I shall carry on fighting this cause, striving for a worldwide ban and for continued support for the victims, those who care for them and their families and also for those demining land.
Reference: Keneth R. Rutherford, "Disarming States: The International Movement to Ban Landmines", 2011.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Nobility

A memoirs of Diana's working partner about her Anti-Landmine Campaign.

Quote:
Landmine Survivors Speak Out -- By Jerry White

Despite all the talk about the human suffering of mine victims, it seems we still have trouble putting our money where our mouth is. What is really being done to help these victims? Very little, I’m afraid. I do not doubt that every person in this audience is horrified and personally moved by the stories of landmine victims*— you’d need a heart of stone not to be. I am also convinced that individuals, NGOs and governments all want to help. But why is it that victim assistance has not moved beyond the rhetorical level?

In June 1997, there was a conference in Brussels, Belgium to review an early draft of the Mine Ban Treaty. It was time to line up who would support which issues for inclusion in the final treaty. LSN and other victim assistance NGOs were shocked to discover that there was not one word on victim assistance in the first draft of the treaty.

In June of 1997, LSN and the Mines Awareness Group (MAG), a demining organization, co-hosted a conference in London, “Responding to Landmines”. It was to address the practical needs of those working in the field, including demining and victim assistance. It was at this conference that Princess Diana had decided to give her first major landmine speech, reflecting on her Angola experience. She shared how deeply she had been affected by her meeting Angolan survivors, particularly the children.

With the Princess’s involvement, the media took notice. Landmines and the devastation they caused were now in the headlines. Diana knew that was her contribution to the cause. She realized better than anyone that the media would closely follow any statement she made or action she took. Early in the summer of 1997, it seemed mine survivors had gained a lifelong ally to help alleviate their suffering.

It was several days after Princess Diana’s death when the Conference commenced in Oslo, Norway to begin drafting the final Mine Ban Treaty for signing in December. Ambassador Jakob Selebi from South Africa became a strong ally to including victim assistance on the agenda, and was president of the core group negotiating the treaty. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was also very supportive of including mine victim assistance in the treaty.
http://mercury.ethz.ch/serviceengine...+Speak+Out.pdf
Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
Majesty Magazine 1997 :* Princess Diana's Last Crusade* - Princess Diana Remembered

Three Thank-you Letters Diana wrote on Aug 11, 1997

References:
[1] “Diana 1961-1997: Remembering: Landmines Vow In Her Last Letters; Princess: I’ll fight for ban”, The Mirror, Sep 10, 1997.
[2] Keneth R. Rutherford, “Disarming States: The International Movement to Ban Land-mines”, 2011.
[3] “Diana’s last official letter”, Daily Mail, April 24, 2014.
I agree that Diana was one of several people who requested assistance to the victims of landmines be included in the actual wording of the treaty. To say that she was instrumental in getting the language included is not accurate.

It was not her idea, several NGOs had requested it even before Diana's first photo op on landmines. The language was noncontroversial because none of the signers opposed giving assistance to the victims.

Diana supported NGO efforts to ban landmines and she brought a lot of publicity to the cause, which was great. However, she was not the leader of these efforts. The campaign to ban landmines was active long before Diana was involved. Had she lived, she probably would have raised a lot of money for victims and made a major difference in those victims' lives.

Tags
anti-landmine, charities, diana princess of wales, landmine, patronages, princess diana