Diana's Charity Work and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you didn't mean to compare both by their age but it may be one reason why Diana's help wasn't really supported after her death. She didn't get the time to settle down and think of of what she really want to do.

I know you didn't mean to compare both by their age but it may be one reason why Diana's help wasn't really supported after her death. She didn't get the time to settle down and think of of what she really want to do.

Oh dear, theTruth, I must be really bad at explaining myself. What I meant is that Audrey had time to settle down because she made the right choices when she was in her twenties; she focused first on her career in the movies that gave her a sense of self-worth and self-esteem that she could carry over in her relationships with her children and later to her charities. Audrey didn't start to work on her charities in her twenties and in her biographies one sees that she really didn't have a grasp on her relationship with her children then. That came later.

If Diana had focused first on her role in the Royal Family and getting comfortable with that in her twenties and then in her thirties if she had focused on having a healthy relationships with her children then I think she would have lived to well past 40 and had time to think about her legacy

Diana's work with her charities and the causes that were close to heart such as Aids and landmines was amazing work. apart form Anne no-one in the royal family has ever gone close to the work that she did to bring awareness to causes that needed to be in the public limelight. no-one will ever have the same effect that she did for charities.

Anne whilst doing a massive amount of charitable work never gets the public credit or the attention of the media that she deserves yet Diana could use her glamour and natural ease with the people to bring awareness about Aids, landmines, bulimia and other whorthwhlile causes

Diana's work with her charities and the causes that were close to heart such as Aids and landmines was amazing work. apart form Anne no-one in the royal family has ever gone close to the work that she did to bring awareness to causes that needed to be in the public limelight. no-one will ever have the same effect that she did for charities.

Anne whilst doing a massive amount of charitable work never gets the public credit or the attention of the media that she deserves yet Diana could use her glamour and natural ease with the people to bring awareness about Aids, landmines, bulimia and other whorthwhlile causes

So true...:cool:

Anne may not get public credit or media attention, but she still gets the job done and helps the charities to put themselves in the limelight.

I will agree that she brought awareness to the AIDS and Landmine issues at the time. But since the AIDS charity has not floundered in the wake of her death, thanks to all the celebrities involved, one cannot help but think it would have gained momentum without Diana. I don't recall her support for an eating disorder charity.

I wonder how many people, without refering to notes or web sites could actually name more than the 2 charities normally touted. :ermm:

Centrepoint-support for the homeless
Shaukat Khanum Memorial Hospital in Pakistan.

Both are causes Diana supported, I cannot comment on the former but I do know that her support was very welcome for the hospital.

My cousin worked there at the time and he recalled how much of a boost her support gave, not just from the Pakistani people or Pakistani diaspora abroad but internationally. They had donations coming in from all over the world thanks to her visits.

Reasons for doing Charity

I was reading "The Diana Chronicles". The author talks of how Diana loved being around others who worse off than her and basically says this is why she did charity work. Do you think she truly cared for the needy or do you think it was an ego boost?

I was reading "The Diana Chronicles". The author talks of how Diana loved being around others who worse off than her and basically says this is why she did charity work. Do you think she truly cared for the needy or do you think it was an ego boost?

I believe she did for both. Some reproached her to use the needy to be on the front page and gain popularity but I don't think it's entirely true. She was famous and used her image to help. If she hadn't proposed her image for their publicity, charities wouldn't have collected so much money . But she obtained a lot from her investment : popularity and certainly ego boost. For charities : No Diana (or famous figures) = no money ; for Diana : No publicity = no sympathy from the public.

Moreover, Diana seemed to be a very hesitating and shy person. When people encouraged her to keep doing her patronage, she was proud and gained confidence. I think she found some strength with her associations and the public approval. Her engagement, IMO, was ruled by many factors.

I do believe that she did find a genuine vocation in drawing attention to social problems. At the beginning, she might have done a lot because it was expected of her as the Princess of Wales; but later she found what she really excelled at and did that. She wasn't good at sitting through long meetings, but she was great with people.

I believe she did for both. Some reproached her to use the needy to be on the front page and gain popularity but I don't think it's entirely true. She was famous and used her image to help. If she hadn't proposed her image for their publicity, charities wouldn't have collected so much money . But she obtained a lot from her investment : popularity and certainly ego boost. For charities : No Diana (or famous figures) = no money ; for Diana : No publicity = no sympathy from the public.

Moreover, Diana seemed to be a very hesitating and shy person. When people encouraged her to keep doing her patronage, she was proud and gained confidence. I think she found some strength with her associations and the public approval. Her engagement, IMO, was ruled by many factors.

I have been involved in charity work for a long time and what I find absolutely amazing is the impact she has had on just "regular people" to get out and "do something". It used to be that only women who had the means to have household help and husband who needed promoting made up the majority of "trained volunteers". It wasn't until Diana came along to show that we could all make a big difference in the world with our voices and passions. I have been a member of the American Junior League and we used to do "fluff" work and now, because of women like Diana walking through minefields and holding hands of AIDS patients, we as ordinary women feel like we can venture out of our comfort zones...

The Princess also inspired me to do charity work as well.
Every couple of months I donate my blood to The New York Blood Center.
It truly is a great feeling to help those are aren't as fortunate as yourself.
I admire her bravey for walking into a minefield and touching and interacting with lepers.

I can't say I have ever thought donating blood was charity work. :flowers: Good for you none the less.

Oh yes it is, here in New York there is a shortage of blood for people who are hemophiliacs or who are injured in accidents might need a blood transfusion.
And sometimes hospitals don't have a enough.:)

Well commented on Jo. :flowers: I don't think she saw beyond 'The Diana Hospices', her name as a caring person, forever immortalised in lights, (so to speak). I have always maintained that if there had been no photo opportunities with the charities, Diana would not have been interested. You hear of C & C giving money as well as time to their charities but I cannot come up with one occasion when Diana did the same.

That is funny Sky Dragon, because I can think of SO many occasions that I have read about when she went to hospices privately, that I have lost count! She did not give her time? Are you serious?
I must say I disagree!

Diana was Royal Patron of Chickenshed Theater Company, a inclusive theater company for children and young people- physically and mentally disabled children, and their typically developing peers!:

History : Once Upon a Time, in a Shed...

And she was a very dedicated Royal Patron-

Princess Diana Leaving A Rock Concert By The Chicken Shed

Princess Diana At A Gala Performance By The Chicken Shed

She attended more of their events- these were all the pics I could find...
She even invited the group to KP for lunch!:D:cool:

The Chickenshed history was very interesting. I'm glad something like this exists and allows literally anyone to join and perform. I remember hearing them sing at 'Concert for Diana' back in '07, and loved the fact that they performed a song form 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat' called 'Any Dream Will Do'. That song is so appropriate for a group like that, and in general for anyone who dares to follow one's heart. Diana definitely followed her heart and in turn did some wonderful things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That's one talented group of kids. Thank you for sharing this.

Happy birthday Diana. I think the best thing to keep the memory of her is by the little nice things she had done to the people. Hopefully it will be still an inspiration to some people.

QUEEN of all our HEARTS; Diana The people's Princess 1961-1997; Children could see how much she cared. - Free Online Library
Emma May also shares the sense of shock and loss. The 16-year-old walks tall today partly thanks to Diana.

The Princess gave her money towards a pounds 20,000 operation to add six inches to her height - and encouraged and comforted her as she recovered.

"I am in deep shock," she said yesterday. "She was such a warm and caring person.

"William and Harry must be more than devastated, and my heart really goes out to them."

Emma was born with the rare Turner's syndrome, which stopped her growing at the age of 10. Her bravery in the face of painful treatment won her a "Champion Children" award in 1991, which Diana presented.

She said: "I wrote to her afterwards telling her about the operation. I didn't expect her to send any money, but I wasn't surprised, because she was so terribly nice. I wrote back to thank her, and the correspondence went on quite a while.

"They were lovely, chatty letters, but she always asked me not to disclose what she wrote and I never will. Not even if I was offered thousands of pounds for them.

"She was like a friend, and I shall treasure her letters always."

HEART GIRL'S SPECIAL CHUM. - Free Online Library
As Victoria leaned back on her pillows Diana revealed her innermost thoughts. "She said her favourite times were with her sons at Thorpe Park. "She told how she would try to extra little things for Harry because one day William will be King and he won't.

"She felt a bit sad for him and would go and watch him play cricket and pretend to enjoy it even though she hated the game.

"She still had great affection for Charles and called him 'my husband' even though they were divorced."

Louise was in pain and dying but Di managed to make her giggle; THE CANCER VICTIM. - Free Online Library
Louise Woolcock was 21 and a talented language student when she died of cancer in August 1992. And while other family friends found it impossible to cope with the family's grief, Diana kept in touch with regular words of comfort. Here, Louise's father Philip talks of his family's remarkable friendship with the Princess, who remembered the anniversary of Louise's death and kept in touch.

She told me she wasn't scared of dying, so long as she died happy; THE CRASH VICTIM. - Free Online Library

Great articles. I remember seeing Dean Woodward in TLC's Diana: Story of a Princess documentary. The princess really touched him and his family and of course many others.

Thanks for the article, they are really lovely. :flowers: I remembered Rebecca's mother had talked about Diana's touch on them in an TV program. I was very touched by that story at that time. Your article gave a bigger picture of it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom