The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
...[snipped]
In most employer-employee relationships, it's implied that if the employee does not meet employer's demand, his/her position is threaten. It's not necessary for an employer to expressly threaten dismissal. Just watch Michael Douglas-Demi Moore movie "Disclosure". Any physical relationship can be construed as harrassment because of the inheritant inequity of power. Sexual harrassment isn't about the physical relationship, it's an excercise of power. In a case of a Princess of Wales, possible future Queen, the balance of power over a butler is completely one sided.
Well... I am not sure about the standards for sexual harassment in Canada. In the USA, a situation is assessed by applying "a reasonable person" standard. It is also required to determine (1) whether sexual conduct was unwelcome, and (2) whether the work environment rises to the level of actionable hostile environment, which unreasonably interferes with a work performance of a reasonable employee. My personal favourite is the Court decision in the matter of Jones v. Clinton (1998) that reads, "Even blatant sexual harassment does not always constitute illegal sexual harassment". Thus, even if the late Princess Diana harassed Mr. Burrel in some ways, it might not have constituted the illegal sexual harassment.
I have got serious doubts about a recent portion of revelations about the late Princess Diana's personal life. It is impossible to determine what prompted the brother-in-law to make these ludicrous claims. Overall, I agree with georgiea noting that the late Princess Diana was "very busy with all her other men friends through the years" (see post #81) to have any relationships of a personal nature with a butler. She should be allowed to rest in peace.
__________________

__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,281
I can't imagine Diana involved sexually with a man as effeminate and "fussy" as Paul Burrell. She seemed to go for a much more masculine type.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Wasn't because it was brought up in a conversation in a car either going to or from some sort of service including HMTQ, Prince Charles and Prince Philip?
burrell claims that things found in home were either gifted to him and his wife and family or given to him for safe keeping and that he claimed that he told HM this prior to everything happening. apparently HM remembered this conversation and this is why the trial ended the way it did.
__________________
Duchess
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,427
My thinking is that Burrell probably advised HM he had "some" things of Diana's. She most likely assumed he meant minor mementos and therefore would not have asked him for a detailed inventory or questioned him further. It would not have occurred to her that he might have taken bags and bags of Diana's personal possessions. On the basis that he had kept some knick-knacks she may well have replied "that's OK Paul" without any idea of the vast extent of his "safekeeping" stockpile.

Once she recalled the conversation and how she had [possibly] been misled by Burrell she had no option but to confirm that she and Burrell had previously spoken about the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he had betrayed the Queen's trust in his conversation with her. If he had said "Ma'am, I have spirited a veritable treasure trove of Diana's and William's personal effects out of Kensington Palace" I can't imagine HM waving it off with "no problem".
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,281
What you say makes a lot of sense to me, Warren. Given the "oily" character that Mr. Burrell has shown, it's become hard to believe that he's been entirely truthful with anyone--including the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
My thinking is that Burrell probably advised HM he had "some" things of Diana's. She most likely assumed he meant minor mementos and therefore would not have asked him for a detailed inventory or questioned him further. It would not have occurred to her that he might have taken bags and bags of Diana's personal possessions. On the basis that he had kept some knick-knacks she may well have replied "that's OK Paul" without any idea of the vast extent of his "safekeeping" stockpile.

Once she recalled the conversation and how she had [possibly] been misled by Burrell she had no option but to confirm that she and Burrell had previously spoken about the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he had betrayed the Queen's trust in his conversation with her. If he had said "Ma'am, I have spirited a veritable treasure trove of Diana's and William's personal effects out of Kensington Palace" I can't imagine HM waving it off with "no problem".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07-05-2008, 08:06 PM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Paul Burrell complains to PCC over Diana 'sex' story


Paul Burrell complains to PCC over Diana 'sex' story - Press Gazette
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Monika_'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 190
Thumbs up Warren...

Your theory makes perfect sense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Monika_'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 190
Thanks for the link. I hate to see Diana's name dragged through the mud because of this little man, but is he really surprised that his mouth is catching up with him. He has been his own worst enemy!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682

Well it's not him who did the claim and even if I don't really appreciate him and what he did of Diana's memory, I don't wish to anyone the discomfort and pain this can cause ; not to mention the one it creates toward his wife and children. Yes her name was dragged in the mud but his too by the same occasion and I really doubt he has a masochist behavior so, to me, they are two to be victim of the headlines.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
My thinking is that Burrell probably advised HM he had "some" things of Diana's. She most likely assumed he meant minor mementos and therefore would not have asked him for a detailed inventory or questioned him further. It would not have occurred to her that he might have taken bags and bags of Diana's personal possessions. On the basis that he had kept some knick-knacks she may well have replied "that's OK Paul" without any idea of the vast extent of his "safekeeping" stockpile.

Once she recalled the conversation and how she had [possibly] been misled by Burrell she had no option but to confirm that she and Burrell had previously spoken about the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he had betrayed the Queen's trust in his conversation with her. If he had said "Ma'am, I have spirited a veritable treasure trove of Diana's and William's personal effects out of Kensington Palace" I can't imagine HM waving it off with "no problem".
I would imagine HM was very distracted at the time of this meeting. She had just lost an ex daughter in law, mother to her beloved grandchildren, had to contend with howling animals outside her gates, spiteful and intrusive demands from the media. At a time like this, I am sure HM wasn't thinking straight and who would ever think a supposed loyal and trusted servant is going to help himself to things he shouldn't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
I don't think it's fair to call the mourners "howling animals" but yes she was quite distracted.
It's disgraceful IMO that Burrell would trick his employer and soverign of many years. I wish he could just crawl back into his hole and dissapear from the public eye.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,427
We should try to keep this thread to the topic of the allegations made by Paul Burrell's brother-in-law.
Discussion of the events immediately following Diana's death can be discussed in The Queen and Diana's Death thread and posts have been moved there.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I would imagine HM was very distracted at the time of this meeting. She had just lost an ex daughter in law, mother to her beloved grandchildren, had to contend with howling animals outside her gates, spiteful and intrusive demands from the media. At a time like this, I am sure HM wasn't thinking straight and who would ever think a supposed loyal and trusted servant is going to help himself to things he shouldn't.
I still wonder what he did with the stuff he took after her death. His former bodyguard, at the time of the Inquest, told Burrell had burned notes, letters and other personal writings. I've always asked myself what it could have been.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I still wonder what he did with the stuff he took after her death. His former bodyguard, at the time of the Inquest, told Burrell had burned notes, letters and other personal writings. I've always asked myself what it could have been.
Just keep watching ebay! There are very many people about who would be willing to enter into private negotiations to 'own' something of Diana's and they are not too worried about where or how it was obtained. The paperwork could be anything from love letters to and from various men friends, Diana's plans, journals, perhaps it is better if we never know.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
PrinceOfCanada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Anyway with her uprbringing, it was really hard to imagine that Diana would have bedded her bulter whatever the circumstances.
Given that she had it off with at least one of her bodyguards, I'd say you're pretty wide of the mark.

Quote:
it is deeply sad that his relationship with Prince William and Prince Harry suffered...which is beyond sad, imo. I still hope for some sort of olive branch on the Princes' part because Paul was/is all for them.
If he really were 'all for them', one would imagine that he wouldn't have spent the last ten years dragging their mother's name through the mud.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Just keep watching ebay! There are very many people about who would be willing to enter into private negotiations to 'own' something of Diana's and they are not too worried about where or how it was obtained. The paperwork could be anything from love letters to and from various men friends, Diana's plans, journals, perhaps it is better if we never know.
Curiosity may certainly be the most terrible vice of people but even if it wouldn't change much today, it would be interesting to know what these letters were about. I can't see the point of burning personal things except if they are disturbing to some persons.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,281
That allegation has not been proved. She seemed to depend on him for emotional support, but there are only rumours about an actual sexual affair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Given that she had it off with at least one of her bodyguards, I'd say you're pretty wide of the mark.
This I totally agree with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
If he really were 'all for them', one would imagine that he wouldn't have spent the last ten years dragging their mother's name through the mud.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Curiosity may certainly be the most terrible vice of people but even if it wouldn't change much today, it would be interesting to know what these letters were about. I can't see the point of burning personal things except if they are disturbing to some persons.
They were probably secrets that could do a lot of damage, and the trouble is that someone invariably gets hurt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
They were probably secrets that could do a lot of damage, and the trouble is that someone invariably gets hurt.
Which always makes me wonder. Wasn't it said that Princess Beatrice burnt many of QV letters?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,281
Princess Beatrice was supposed to have "edited" her mother's diaries. Yes, it does make one wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Which always makes me wonder. Wasn't it said that Princess Beatrice burnt many of QV letters?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, paul burrell, princess diana, tabloid press


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Late Diana, Princess of Wales, News Thread 8: June 2008- Warren Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 451 10-02-2014 02:46 PM
Paul Burrell, Diana's former Butler maryshawn Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 153 12-22-2013 04:39 PM
Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans To Marry Diana, Duchess of Cadaval, June 2008 fanletizia Royal Families of France 88 06-25-2008 11:49 AM
"The Way We Were: Remembering Diana" - Paul Burrell Skydragon Royal Library 141 10-21-2006 06:38 AM
"A Royal Duty", by Paul Burrell Yennie Royal Library 31 07-15-2006 05:49 PM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]