The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
In my wildest dreams I can't imagine Diana having a sexual relationship with Paul. IMO it always looked like she sought out a man who appeared to be more stable/powerful/affluent than Paul, someone who could fulfill her very great emotional needs.
I agree. In the Diana Chronicles book, Tina Brown, by quoting Ken Wharfe, explains very well how Diana was attracted to a special type of man (p.278) :

" To Ken Wharfe, all the "Dianamen", as he called them, were interchangeable chinless wonders whose only talent was small talk and crisp dressing - in Savil Row tailors' parlance,"42 longs." James Hewitt, James Gilbey, Philip Dunne, David Waterhouse (who was in the same regiment as Hewitt), Rory Scott - "all" says Wharfe, "were tall, of similar physique, dressed and spoke in the same manner, and shared the same tastes and the same circle of friends, and, often the same mannerisms. They all had one other thing in common : they were nothing like her serious-minded husband, twelve years her senior and, by his own admission, a man who acted older than his years. "

(My underlining) Burrell didn't seem to fit at all the description and honestly I don't think he attracted her. Even if we know she possibly had an affair with a married man who worked for her, Mannakee ; he was much closer of a Hewitt of a Dunne than any Burrell. Moreover, Diana personally knew his wife as you can see on these pictures ( pic * pic ) and I really doubt the 24/7 is morally plausible when she could have any other man.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

this really is a distasteful story and i dont believe one word of anytging that is linked with Paul Burrell or his family i feel so sorry for her boys and actually for Paul's wife as she has had to try and come through alot of bad press

Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
(My underlining) Burrell didn't seem to fit at all the description and honestly I don't think he attracted her. Even if we know she possibly had an affair with a married man who worked for her, Mannakee ; he was much closer of a Hewitt of a Dunne than any Burrell. Moreover, Diana personally knew his wife as you can see on these pictures ( pic * pic ) and I really doubt the 24/7 is morally plausible when she could have any other man.
Khan and Fayed didn't fit that description, either. Of course they did have status and/or money, whereas Burrell had................................absolutely nothing going for him.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

True but like you said, they were different from Burrell by their status and influence/power on others. They were in charge of various persons or businesses in Fayed's case. The opposite of Burrell and his butler job.

Because it matters...
Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Paul, poor dear Paul. I still believe in him but sad that he has been talked into some ventures based on greed by some of those around him giving him a bit of bad advice here and there.
This forum never ceases to amaze me. You really see me stunned because of your opinion. But it's nice that there are always people around here to see the positive aspects even in the worst happenings and who take the time to write in order to share their positiveness with the others.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What I meant about Diana's men ... Mannakee was the bodyguard, protective of Diana. Khan was also a caregiver and clearly not interested in taking advantage of Diana's status; I think he was one of the few stable men she got involved with. Dodi had the gift of gab, money and the illusion of power, sort of her Ari Onassis. I'm sure that, like Dodi, Hewitt had the ability to woo with words, plus a good body.

Paul Burrell seems lacking in all aspects, except for his willingness to be accessible to the Princess at all times.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

As much as I'd like to, I can't totally dismiss the claims by his brother-in-law, despite the unsavory way them came about. I kept on thinking of the old adage...beggars can't be choosers. By Diana's own rather egalitarian choice of entourage and her seemingly constant neediness, it does seem possible in between the Gilby and Hewitt types, she might have taken her demands on Burrell to a different level. In current days, it would be a clear case of sexual harrassment. However, given how much Burrell was devoted to her and seems to glory in how much Diana "needs" him, he may have seen it as an hornor. Their relationship was unhealthy even on the daily working level. And the fact Burrell has by his own account been boastful of his role in servce to the royals before make his current claims of innocence sound hollow to me.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed Incas, it seemed he gloried in it. Why is that? I wonder about the staff that serves the BRF. They almost seem fanatical.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Indeed Incas, it seemed he gloried in it. Why is that? I wonder about the staff that serves the BRF. They almost seem fanatical.
They are fanatical because it is royality and royal life. Paul Burell was caught up in that. I really don't think he was Diana, Princess of Wales 24/7 lover. This is a case of money and relatives after it or to ruin Burell.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
They are fanatical because it is royality and royal life. Paul Burell was caught up in that. I really don't think he was Diana, Princess of Wales 24/7 lover. This is a case of money and relatives after it or to ruin Burell.
He seems to derive his self-worth by Diana. That's pretty sick if you ask me. . . .
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Paul Burrell seems lacking in all aspects, except for his willingness to be accessible to the Princess at all times.
Yes, and I think that the importance to Diana of Burrell's slavish devotion and willingness to be there for her whenever she needed him shouldn't be under-estimated. He was there whenever she needed him yet she could freeze him out if he over-stepped her boundaries, but she could be sure he'd come bouncing back again like a puppy once forgiven. Sad, really.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Nobility

I'll be the first admit that I more than a laugh or two out of Paul and his merchandising ventures and outlandish need to make a bit of a spectacle of himself in some most amusing venues, yet I am Paul's greatest fan because he put his own family, even is own little children, behind in his devotion and service to Diana when she literally had no one else in the world.

Yes, he has made many missteps.

Paul still hold the secrets of the Princess (and many of the House in Windsor) very close to his heart and in the palm of his hand.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

If he did put someone else before his wife and children he should be shot! Diana never had 'no one else in the world', she had her own family, friends, servants by the dozen to speak to or spend time with.

Paul would like everyone to believe he holds the secrets of people other than Diana, but I think the only secrets he ever knew were in his books or divulged at the inquest, because if not, then he is guilty of perjury and of lying.

He reminds me of a slimy creature that tries to overhear conversations to misreport back. If Diana was desperate enough to treat him as anything other than the servant he clearly was, then I actually feel sorry for her!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
In current days, it would be a clear case of sexual harrassment.
I disagree. We didn't hear that Diana threatened of dismissing Burrell if he didn't have sex with her. Nor do we heard that he resisted to her proposal.
It's like someone who is on a diet and see a chocolate cake but can't have it cause he resigned himself to not eat it. If he succumbs to the temptation, would you say it's the chocolate cake's fault ? The analogy is quite weird I have to say but that's how I see it. If it's true, to me Burrell didn't feel shame to it whatsoever.

Because it matters...
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I do feel rather sorry for Mr. Burrell. He pinned his whole life and happiness on the Princess.

I wonder whether affairs have happened between British royals and their household staff before. We know that there have been allegations in the past of affairs with bodyguards, but what about butlers, maids, etc?

It's not unusual for extreme devotion to develop between staff and their royal charges (for a non-sexual relationship look at Bobo and the Queen, or even Billy Tallon and the Queen Mother). But perhaps it's safer to employ people capable of celibacy or gay men with partners? Just a thought (I used to work in an office where there was an unstated policy that it was better to hire homosexuals because their partners were more accepting of the extreme demands of the job, plus there usually weren't children to consider).
Old 06-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I disagree. We didn't hear that Diana threatened of dismissing Burrell if he didn't have sex with her. Nor do we heard that he resisted to her proposal.
It's like someone who is on a diet and see a chocolate cake but can't have it cause he resigned himself to not eat it. If he succumbs to the temptation, would you say it's the chocolate cake's fault ? The analogy is quite weird I have to say but that's how I see it. If it's true, to me Burrell didn't feel shame to it whatsoever.

Um, yeah...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
As much as I'd like to, I can't totally dismiss the claims by his brother-in-law, despite the unsavory way them came about. I kept on thinking of the old adage...beggars can't be choosers. By Diana's own rather egalitarian choice of entourage and her seemingly constant neediness, it does seem possible in between the Gilby and Hewitt types, she might have taken her demands on Burrell to a different level. In current days, it would be a clear case of sexual harrassment. However, given how much Burrell was devoted to her and seems to glory in how much Diana "needs" him, he may have seen it as an hornor. Their relationship was unhealthy even on the daily working level. And the fact Burrell has by his own account been boastful of his role in servce to the royals before make his current claims of innocence sound hollow to me.
your post makes quite a lot of sense really. diana wanted a man that was slavishly devoted to her, would protect her and love her unconditionally and could function comfortably in her "world". isn't that what burrell was doing?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If he did put someone else before his wife and children he should be shot!
Indeed! IMO it's extremely pathetic. I don't care who it is, Diana, the Queen, whomever. Your wife and family should be your #1 priority. It's kind of sick if you ask me, and definitely not something to be admired.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Perhaps I should have added "If the relationship happend as the brother-in-law claimed", then under current climate, it would be a case of sexual harrassment.

In most employer-employee relationships, it's implied that if the employee does not meet employer's demand, his/her position is threaten. It's not necessary for an employer to expressly threaten dismissal. Just watch Michael Douglas-Demi Moore movie "Disclosure". Any physical relationship can be construed as harrassment because of the inheritant inequity of power. Sexual harrassment isn't about the physical relationship, it's an excercise of power. In a case of a Princess of Wales, possible future Queen, the balance of power over a butler is completely one sided.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has been suggested by a poster that Burrell could function comfortably within Dianas world, IMO he could never function within Diana's world. He would not be invited as a guest to any of the functions she attended, others would continue to see and treat him as a servant.

Tags
diana princess of wales, paul burrell, princess diana, tabloid press