The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
That's an interesting point cause if Burrell's wife was getting so upset about is eternal crap, a good scandal created by a revengeful and protective brother could do big damage on Burrell's public image (not that he needed this to disappoint and disgust everyone ...).

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps I have missed it, but I don't seem able to find a denial that he told the brother in law this tale.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Perhaps I have missed it, but I don't seem able to find a denial that he told the brother in law this tale.
Uhhh.. huh....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Royal Highness

Diana sleep with bottler? No chance
Laughable claims that Paul Burrell slept with Princess Diana are dismissed out of hand | The Sun |HomePage|News|Royals

The thing with this article isn't so much the denial, but the nasty and snobby tone as if Burrell wasn't good enough due to his lowly position as a servant. Shades of Rodney and Margaret perhaps. It's not like Diana was particularly choosy in the quality of her friends/companions, btw claivoyants/psychs/healers/the Fayeds/etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
It's not like Diana was particularly choosy in the quality of her friends/companions, btw claivoyants/psychs/healers/the Fayeds/etc.
Precisely! And the comments were allegedly made in about 1993, which was a bad time for Diana. Regardless of all the denials that are being published, the comment has been made and the seeds of doubt sown. It's like telling the jury to ignore evidence they have heard.

Diana was not particularly choosy, so, although unlikely, it is possible. The poor woman had been stuck in a very unhappy marriage for years and she was having a terrible time between 1992 and 1995 and she made some very poor decisions. I've always thought Diana had difficulties with boundaries. She used to visit the kitchens and chat with staff in a way that seemed inappropriate and too familiar to me, and, quite apart from these new allegations, she seems to have had a relationship with Burrell that I've always thought was a bit too close. She shouldn't have been making friends of her butler, which is what he seemed to think she was. And if she did have a fling with him she must have been going through a very low period indeed.

I find this Cosgrove business very sad. If he was trying to cause grief to Burrell and harm his reputation I think he's missed his mark because, after all, what reputation does Burrell have any more? As far as I'm concerned the only one whose reputation is going to be affected is Diana's, and I find myself in the unusual position of wanting to defend her.

For all her faults and poor decisions about personal relationships, Diana was basically a decent human being and loving mother who performed her demanding public duties very conscientiously for many years under considerable stress because of her unhappy marriage. She was loved by a lot of people and in her own way cared about people and did her best. I think it's time to dwell on her good points and not her failings. These new sleazy allegations are completely unwarranted. Even if they are true they help no-one and only serve to harm the reputation of someone who has been dead for over a decade. The timing's all wrong; it's too late to be dredging up new muck like this. The inquest is finally over and IMO Diana should now be allowed to fade into history with dignity and the fairness we would all like to have shown to ourselves and our loved ones. Her loved ones have suffered enough. If she did cross into forbidden territory with Burrell at that difficult time in her life, I think it should have been kept well and truly secret.

Shame on you, Ron Cosgrove. You're a nasty piece of work.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why would he deny it? Here he has been trying to flout himself as being the closest person in the world to Diana, and now he is even claiming to have bedded her. There are no lows to which this man will not sink. His word is not worth spit, so even if he does deny he said it, he is lying about something (like always). Even if it is true, what scum to be yelling from the treetops about it. The brother in law is no better. Does he think that such a revelation will not publicly humiliate his sister?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Precisely! And the comments were allegedly made in about 1993, which was a bad time for Diana. Regardless of all the denials that are being published, the comment has been made and the seeds of doubt sown. It's like telling the jury to ignore evidence they have heard.

Diana was not particularly choosy, so, although unlikely, it is possible. The poor woman had been stuck in a very unhappy marriage for years and she was having a terrible time between 1992 and 1995 and she made some very poor decisions. I've always thought Diana had difficulties with boundaries. She used to visit the kitchens and chat with staff in a way that seemed inappropriate and too familiar to me, and, quite apart from these new allegations, she seems to have had a relationship with Burrell that I've always thought was a bit too close. She shouldn't have been making friends of her butler, which is what he seemed to think she was. And if she did have a fling with him she must have been going through a very low period indeed.

I find this Cosgrove business very sad. If he was trying to cause grief to Burrell and harm his reputation I think he's missed his mark because, after all, what reputation does Burrell have any more? As far as I'm concerned the only one whose reputation is going to be affected is Diana's, and I find myself in the unusual position of wanting to defend her.

For all her faults and poor decisions about personal relationships, Diana was basically a decent human being and loving mother who performed her demanding public duties very conscientiously for many years under considerable stress because of her unhappy marriage. She was loved by a lot of people and in her own way cared about people and did her best. I think it's time to dwell on her good points and not her failings. These new sleazy allegations are completely unwarranted. Even if they are true they help no-one and only serve to harm the reputation of someone who has been dead for over a decade. The timing's all wrong; it's too late to be dredging up new muck like this. The inquest is finally over and IMO Diana should now be allowed to fade into history with dignity and the fairness we would all like to have shown to ourselves and our loved ones. Her loved ones have suffered enough. If she did cross into forbidden territory with Burrell at that difficult time in her life, I think it should have been kept well and truly secret.

Shame on you, Ron Cosgrove. You're a nasty piece of work.
I've always argued against enabling the karma/reputation system at TRF, but I find myself wanting to give out some karma points for this post. Since that isn't possible, I'll just content myself with a
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Nobility

The whole thing resembles a sleazy, fictitious, soap opera but with real names to attract attention and make money. Other heart warming true stories about the lovely Diana exist in other sites by people who do not seek to gain profit accompanied by real pictures of the reported deed or the momento. As a Diana fan I get great delight from these accounts and also from watching her two sons.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Check out post #10 of this thread.

From his Florida villa, 50-year-old Burrell hastily issued a statement denying the claims, which he described as 'fanciful, distasteful and malicious'.
He said Mr Cosgrove had invented them out of 'vengeance' after he had refused to give him money.

'I was NOT Diana's lover' says former butler Paul Burrell

posted by...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

ABC News: Did Princess Diana's Butler Do It?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Commoner

Really, the woman has been dead for years now, just leave her alone.

I don't understand these people, telling trash about others (who can't defend themselves), just to add to their own fame.

My heart bleeds for her two sons. How awfull it must be to have the whole world talking about your mother like that.

Does he have no dignity what so ever?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Courtier

I don't believe the relationship with Burrell was nearly as cosy as he would like everyone to believe. If you read other books by people who worked with her or knew her well at the time, you get a different perspective and can read about how she actually distanced herself from Burrell at times (you might say she was "putting him in his place" - possibly if he had overstepped the mark) But of course, HE isn't going to tell us THAT side of events, is he....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Check out post #10 of this thread.

From his Florida villa, 50-year-old Burrell hastily issued a statement denying the claims, which he described as 'fanciful, distasteful and malicious'.
He said Mr Cosgrove had invented them out of 'vengeance' after he had refused to give him money.

'I was NOT Diana's lover' says former butler Paul Burrell

posted by...
Oop's What you might call a senior moment!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Gentry

Respect for the deceased

My grandmother taught me my first latin phrase De Mortuis nihil nisi bene (About the deceased nothing but good).

I have tried to live by that phrase and I think it is about time that not only Mr Burrell and his brother in law but also others are taught some latin. Mr Burrell's behaviour, in the past as well as present, is appalling and Mr Cosgrove seems to have taken lessons from him.

I feel deeply with Princess Diana's sons and her family. Please, let her rest in peace.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Anybody but me think this was engineered to keep Burrell in the spotlight for his financial endeavors with regards to that awful jewelry line he's going to be pandering??
Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Anybody but me think this was engineered to keep Burrell in the spotlight for his financial endeavors with regards to that awful jewelry line he's going to be pandering??
No, not just you, I too thought it might be a ploy to enable him to play the 'loyal' servant once again.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

There is the time after the death of public figures to write serious works about their lives, and this could and should include their drawbacks. But I don't think it's fair to do this to people who've died whose children are still growing and developing their attitudes and morals. The remaining scandal here is that people have said so much about Diana because she's famous and sells well. Because she's dead, people think that they can say anything they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasine View Post
My grandmother taught me my first latin phrase De Mortuis nihil nisi bene (About the deceased nothing but good).

Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Anybody but me think this was engineered to keep Burrell in the spotlight for his financial endeavors with regards to that awful jewelry line he's going to be pandering
Quote:
No, not just you, I too thought it might be a ploy to enable him to play the 'loyal' servant once again.
The above two ideas by posters on this forum just don't make me think the brother-in-law told the press about Burell and Diana, Princess of Wales love life for those reasons.

I have see Paul Burell's website (that sell his stuff and talk about him) not running since days after his was at the inquest. So how will he sell his jewelry? The idea of him being her lover would turn a lot of people off to buying the Diana jewelry. Also that this was a ploy to enable him to play the 'loyal' servant makes me sick to my stomach. 'Loyal doing what for Diana."

The only reason is MONEY. Either the brother-in-law wanted some and was not given money. Or a more honorable approach that he was helping his sister get more for a divorce settlement. Isn't all or more of his assets in America and probably in his name? What would Maria get? And if Maria or the borther-in-law can not have the money - why not ruin Burell reputation even more. We just learned that the house in England is up for sale. I thought that was interesting.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

In my wildest dreams I can't imagine Diana having a sexual relationship with Paul. IMO it always looked like she sought out a man who appeared to be more stable/powerful/affluent than Paul, someone who could fulfill her very great emotional needs.

And Mr. Cosgrove's story about the tiara in the garbage bag seems farfetched. What tiara could it have been? As far as I know, she only had 2, the Spencer and the Cambridge Lover's Knot, both of which have been accounted for.

This whole incident is very distasteful.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Nobility

Yes, there are some dysfunctional family dynamics being played out on the world stage with these "revelations". I believe I read where Paul has put up for sale his English home and shop. I really care about Maria. She has been more than dignified throughout the years and has never made a wrong step and has been a dedicated mother to her sons (which seem to be good young men themselves). Glad to see Maria was not behind the brother in law in causing Paul and Diana shame.

Paul, poor dear Paul. I still believe in him but sad that he has been talked into some ventures based on greed by some of those around him giving him a bit of bad advice here and there. He has made mistakes but he has also been a victim and no one would understand that more than Paul because he knew to expect to be vilified by his closeness to Diana and as keeper of her secrets.

His brother in law should be ashamed that he brought the princess in his accusations. She'e not here to defend herself. Very low and ungentlemanly.

Paul will have to live his life dodging bullets and accusations to his reputation but learned from the best how to cope.

Tags
diana princess of wales, paul burrell, princess diana, tabloid press