The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 145 47.39%
No 161 52.61%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
That is an excellent point. I suppose Diana could well be considered in the top most recognizeable people of the 20th century, along with those you listed as well as Audrey Hepburn and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Princess Grace of Monaco.
I don't agree with you here, CasiraghiTrio.

The delightful Jackie O was, in her own country, an aristo, I'm told. But from my somewhat, allegedly, indifferent knowledge,I always thought that she knew of her husband's many infidelities and accepted them, if not condoned them. Am I wrong? I'd like to think that I was, don't you know. However, I really didn't like it!

I'm never comfortable with the notion of the wife of a 'special' man being expendable, and valued only for her valour in merely 'standing by her man'. I was often uncomfortable in realising that this elegant, highly-intelligent and much-admired woman (and a very good Mum, as well) was thrust onto the world's consciousness only because of the two men whom she married.

The utterly gorgeous and divine Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly were so beautiful and so completely wonderful and envied, that it's not surprising that millions of women around the globe loved them and wanted to be like them. I know that I always did!

However, Diana was never comparable to these luminous women. Before her marriage to such a prestigious partner collapsed, she was already doing 'her own thing'. She was a country-raised and protected young aristo, who, at the very beginning, had small discernible charm and character, but, because of circumstances thrust upon her and through her personal endeavours, easily developed into a person in her own right and an international icon.

Diana was not a film star with a huge international audience and a vast publicity machine promoting her, such as Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn enjoyed. Later, after her own successful forays into the world of celebrity, she gathered her own particular set of admirers and supporters, and detractors, if truth be told.

In sum, Diana, literally, invented herself and her own world: and, as a woman, I value and admire that. Always have.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I don't agree with you here, CasiraghiTrio.

The delightful Jackie O was, in her own country, an aristo, I'm told. But from my somewhat, allegedly, indifferent knowledge,I always thought that she knew of her husband's many infidelities and accepted them, if not condoned them. Am I wrong? I'd like to think that I was, don't you know. However, I really didn't like it!

I'm never comfortable with the notion of the wife of a 'special' man being expendable, and valued only for her valour in merely 'standing by her man'. I was often uncomfortable in realising that this elegant, highly-intelligent and much-admired woman (and a very good Mum, as well) was thrust onto the world's consciousness only because of the two men whom she married.

The utterly gorgeous and divine Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly were so beautiful and so completely wonderful and envied, that it's not surprising that millions of women around the globe loved them and wanted to be like them. I know that I always did!

However, Diana was never comparable to these luminous women. Before her marriage to such a prestigious partner collapsed, she was already doing 'her own thing'. She was a country-raised and protected young aristo, who, at the very beginning, had small discernible charm and character, but, because of circumstances thrust upon her and through her personal endeavours, easily developed into a person in her own right and an international icon.

Diana was not a film star with a huge international audience and a vast publicity machine promoting her, such as Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn enjoyed. Later, after her own successful forays into the world of celebrity, she gathered her own particular set of admirers and supporters, and detractors, if truth be told.

In sum, Diana, literally, invented herself and her own world: and, as a woman, I value and admire that. Always have.
Yes, I agree with you. We can remember Hepburn, Grace Kelly, etc. by looking at their films but we can't see Diana in a movie or any other media and she is still so popular. She didn't leave something "concret" in this world. Although people will always remind her as someone with empathy. It's a proof that you don't have to be a movie star to me remembered.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Yes, I agree with you. We can remember Hepburn, Grace Kelly, etc. by looking at their films but we can't see Diana in a movie or any other media and she is still so popular. She didn't leave something "concret" in this world. Although people will always remind her as someone with empathy. It's a proof that you don't have to be a movie star to me remembered.
Nothing concrete? But what about her documentary, Diary of a Princess? What about the royal wedding? What about the 1995 interview? These are concrete remnants, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I can't really answer this question, Polly, I'm sorry. I can say that I believed that Jacqueline did know about Marilyn Monroe. I don't know if she knew about other women, and certainly never read or heard that she condoned the affairs. I think she was hurt by them, but obviously, she put up with it. The Kennedys were very powerful and she was US First Lady, and I'm sure she had her reasons, but I agree with you it's not good to put up with this kind of thing. It would be interesting question if JFK had not been killed, what would have happened with their marriage? Because as it happened, he was killed before they could be married as long as Diana stayed with Charles. I think it is hard for these high profile women when everyone "knows" about their husbands' cheating, like Hilary Rodham Clinton, and people make judgements without really understanding what kind of position these women find themselves in. Infidelities create difficult questions, hard decisions: Do you leave, break up the family, what happens with the children, what happens with it all? Different people handle these matters in different ways. What is right? What is wrong? How can we say?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nothing concrete? But what about her documentary, Diary of a Princess? What about the royal wedding? What about the 1995 interview? These are concrete remnants, aren't they?

I can't really answer this question, Polly, I'm sorry. I can say that I believed that Jacqueline did know about Marilyn Monroe. I don't know if she knew about other women, and certainly never read or heard that she condoned the affairs. I think she was hurt by them, but obviously, she put up with it. The Kennedys were very powerful and she was US First Lady, and I'm sure she had her reasons, but I agree with you it's not good to put up with this kind of thing. It would be interesting question if JFK had not been killed, what would have happened with their marriage? Because as it happened, he was killed before they could be married as long as Diana stayed with Charles. I think it is hard for these high profile women when everyone "knows" about their husbands' cheating, like Hilary Rodham Clinton, and people make judgements without really understanding what kind of position these women find themselves in. Infidelities create difficult questions, hard decisions: Do you leave, break up the family, what happens with the children, what happens with it all? Different people handle these matters in different ways. What is right? What is wrong? How can we say?
What each person does is what they are comfortable with. Jackie tolerated and I use that word advisedly, Jack's infidelities for two reasons, one she loved him and two her father, Jack Bouvier, was also a serial adulterer, which, somehow, allowed Jackie to think that this was something she had to bear. Her mother didn't and left her father. I really think it was because she just loved him. She was also much more secure than Diana. Plus, Jack loved her, the other stuff was just mostly stuff. Charles had a second wife, so to speak and flaunted it.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Yes of course, what I meant by concrete was something not concerning her "personal" life or herself. Grace left also some videos of her wedding etc. but she was an actress and made films that people can buy, watch like an entertainement. Diana left videos but she's always 'Diana'. I wanted to show that even if you didn't make films or songs, you still can be remembered all over the world and that's what impress me.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Courtier

David Bailey: Princess Diana was not the world's most beautiful woman - Telegraph
Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Who ever said she was? She was one of the most beautiful women in this world but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Who ever said she was? She was one of the most beautiful women in this world but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I agree sirhon11234.

Diana, Princess of Wales had beauty on the inside as well as the outside.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Exactly or put another way - to each his/her own.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Nobility

I think Diana was the most beautiful woman of the 20th century. Marilyn Monroe was more sexy, but not more beautiful. I'd agree with the earlier person who said Diana, the Queen, and Marilyn Monroe were the most famous women of the 20th century, for vastly different reasons, of course. There's that photo of the Queen in 1956 meeting Marilyn at some event in England when Marilyn was there to have the Prince and the Showgirl filmed- Queen Elizabeth II's life and reign span so much time. Diana was the most photographed woman in the world- that produced so many iconic images of her.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Yikes! While there are some objective criteria at play in an assessment of "most famous", a determination of "most beautiful" is almost entirely subjective and based on what each individual considers attractive and desirable.

I can think of numerous women who I consider to have been far more beautiful, in their 20s/early 30s, than Diana or Marilyn Monroe at the same age. E.g. Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Jane Seymour, Grace Kelly, Jean Simmons, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn and Candice Bergen.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Her warmth touched those who read Hello! magazine and were foolish enough to shell out pounds on staged photoshoots. She lived in the 20th century, she was famous but she certainly wasn't woman of the century. What on earth did she do to warrant that title? I very much doubt Diana is known to every human being on the planet and I very much doubt that those who did know her also admired her. Someone mentioned Marilyn Monroe - why is Diana suddenly more famous than Marilyn? Why is she more famous than the Queen?
BeatrixFan, I completly agree. She certainly was famous, but not the most famous. More famous than Marilyn Monroe and the Queen, com' on. In America most people believed what they read in the mags, and that is all they knew of her.
Is Diana the most beautiful and most famous?... certainly not, imo.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Nobility

Would anyone challenge that Princess Diana was the most photographed woman in the world? Indeed, beauty is a subjective thing, but in my opinion there are only a few women who would even equal Diana when it came to beauty in the 20th century, although Princess Grace could claim to be among them. Marilyn I don't think was beautiful- sexy yes, but that's a different thing.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO there isn't THE most beautiful woman in the world there are so many women who are beautiful that its insulting to say that Diana or Grace is the most beautiful they were one but not THE. imo
Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Nobility

She was famous and she was beautiful. There is no argument there. Was she the most famous and beautiful is the question?

For me it seems that she earned her fame beautifully. Taking advantage of the spot light and carrying the people is no small matter. One must imagine a life being called beautiful and having to persuade an ever growing phenomena of being worth the fame. The sheer thought of obligations and expectations leave one spell bound as to how Diana continued earning the love and respect of the World. To me she was beautiful. There is no doubt there, and she was very famous as I recall, but I have heard that Madonna, the singer, has been labeled one of the most famous women on Earth. But I think Marilyn Monroe was the most famous woman of the 20th century. Marilyn has been a phenomena throughout the decades during and after her life. She's someone I admire dearly. Her life as an orphan and an aspiring, promising actress is worth looking into and reading. Madonna the singer may be famous and attractive but her fame may be tainted with superficiality. But that's just me. Love her American Life album though. It speaks volumes. Anyways thought I'd speak. Long may Diana's memory live.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Nobility

I agree with you about both Marilyn and Diana- very different women by the way. I'm a big fan of both. I also admire Princess Grace, but I admire Diana more, I think she was more true to herself than Grace was ( my own name is Grace, by the way). I'd judge the Queen the most famous woman of the 20th century- she has been well known for decades while Diana was a shooting star, very brief-- but there can ever only be one Diana.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Nobility

Yes, the Queen of England is famous around the World. She has lead remarkably for Britain and gathered the respect of people abroad. She will live forever in the hearts of humanity. She is everyone's Queen.

Grace Kelly is one of the, if not, the most attractive members of the cinema and Royal regal. Her look defines beautiful and class. I admire the virtue in trying to implement and emulate a devine presence for the people and country of her time. She was charismatic and a pioneer, a patron for her day, and she spoke for the many beautifully. Sometimes I look at her and say perfection. She is that gorgeous.

But yes, there will ever only be one Diana. She was a little like an Angel.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Nobility

I don't think Diana was an Angel.. she defintely had faults. Nor do I think she would have wanted to be remembered as an Angel.Princess Grace warned Diana what it was like to be a famous and beautiful Royal woman, the press attention was only going to get worse. Princess Grace was right, but then she needed no one to tell her that when she married royalty as she had already been famous being a movie star. Diana had to learn alone.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

would it be more appropriate to say that diana was the most famous woman of her time rather that the most famous woman in th world?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Most famous, yes.
Most beautiful, no.
There are and were more beautiful women out there.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana