Diana: The Most Beautiful or Famous Woman of the 20th Century?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?

• Yes

Votes: 152 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 155 50.5%

• Total voters
You and I are definitely of the same mind here, rmay286.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Diana was the most famous person in her time. She was so elegant.

I'll echo the sentiments of many here: she certainly was one of the most famous women of the last century, but I think there are others who are at least on par. I'd pick HM The Queen in that race, for sure.

I do think Diana will be remembered for a long time -- she led an incredibly public and fascinating life, regardless of anyone's interpretation of its relative goodness or badness. She certainly did a great deal to shine the spotlight on important causes, so at the very least, she should be remembered for that (though it will undoubtedly be the wedding and the divorce and the scandal and the clothes that stick, of course).

I think two of the most famous and charitable women of the 20th century died near the same time. Diana, Princess of Wales and Mother Teresa. They met each other and I know Diana admired this saint of a woman.

In my opinion because the the 20th century was so technology driven and media conscious world wide there were many women from all over the world to chose as the most famous.:)

The fact that Diana died so young though was surely a factor in her fame. The whole world mourned and grieved in a way that wouldn't have happened had she died later in life or in less of a surprising fashion. The story of Diana's life was cut short and there are many questions what her future would have been. So, that's defintely a factor in her fame, the amount of fame she got.

Absolutely yes. There was a different style. The people become the whole.

There was indeed great mourning for her death. She introduced a new style among royalty when she lived as well. Some years later, some people thought the mourning for her death was excessive, but it showed the unity people had in their thoughts of her- she was Queen of People's hearts.

There was indeed great mourning for her death. Some years later, some people thought the mourning for her death was excessive, but it showed the unity people had in their thoughts of her- she was Queen of People's hearts.

I felt desperately sad when Diana died simply because she was so young. She had the future of her two sons to look forward to. She was a kind hearted young woman who would have continued to do amazing things for those in need had she not been taken so soon. She really was 'the girl next door' and very approachable and many saw her as Diana, a friend, not Diana, Princess of Wales. These are my thoughts anyway. :flowers:

I agree- people really related to Diana on a personal level. I think she always encouraged that tendency people had to do that. You've summed it up well.

She really was 'the girl next door' and very approachable and many saw her as Diana, a friend, not Diana, Princess of Wales. These are my thoughts anyway. :flowers:

crisscross your thoughts are well stated. I too felt I new Diana. Princess of Wales as a friend.:rolleyes::):rolleyes:

I'd say very definitely was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th Century because here was a young, glamorous princess who used her status to raise the profile of charities that helped people less fortunate than she was. Her approach to royal life was very much more hands-on and touchy-feely than that of many of the other royals.

Yes, that defintely got people's attention, her approach to charity work. The other royaks such as Princess Anne, do charity work, but never got as much attention as Diana. This was because she was indeed more hands on, and also of course because she was beautiful and glamourous, so that the press followed her everywhere, in a way they wouldn't have done with the other royals, and so she used the attention for positive purposes.

Diana and Jackie a tie

I think Diana ties with Jackie in iconic popularity as far as fame goes.Certainly Diana was one of the most beautiful.
Diana still had much to give the world and so her death is made all the more sad by her leaving us.

I am a complete Dianaphile but I don't think she was the most famous, one of the most famous definitely but not a stand on her own as THE most JUST IMO though.

I am a Diana fan and when she died tragically I mourned for a very long time. Diana, Princess of Wales captured our hearts on her wedding day in July 1981. She was our fairy princess. Through the media she became someone we thought we knew personally. I think this was shown to the world at her death and the out pouring of grief. They have been other famous woman in the 20th century, but no one else had that much love shown to her upon her death. I can list woman like: Jackie O, Princess Grace, Sister Teresa, and Golda Meir who were well known and famous, but the out pouring of grief for Diana, Princess of Wales at her death to me shows that she was the most beloved and famous woman of the 20th century.

In beauty I don't know if Diana, Princess of Wales was the most beautiful woman of the 20th century, but I have not seen many bad photos taken of her. I know when Diana was young she was blooming in all photos that she was in and she had style especially in her later years.:);):)

I wouldn't say Diana was the most famous of the entire 20th century. Definitely in the 90s though. It also depends on where you live. The British would say she was the most famous, while someone in the US, France, Russia, China, etc. would probably say someone else.

I wouldn't also say she was the most beautiful. I always thought Princess Grace beat her in the looks department, but that's me.

I wouldn't say Diana was the most famous of the entire 20th century. Definitely in the 90s though. It also depends on where you live. The British would say she was the most famous, while someone in the US, France, Russia, China, etc. would probably say someone else.

That is true Sonapearl, that each country would think their famous person was the most special, but I watched the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales and I believe the viewing worldwide of the event was very high. The news anchorperson said it was. I don't know any other woman in the 20th Century that showed this amount of worldwide grief on her death. Jackie O had outpouring of grief and her funeral was telacasted like Princess Diana, but to me Diana's was more pronounced worldwide. Princess Grace's funeral was not telacasted like Princess Diana or Jackie O so we don't know the amount of grief for her worldwide.

Beauty in my opinion is not just your looks, but the whole package. I believe Diana, Princess of Wales' clothes were so successful that a whole clothing industry in Great Britain was booming in the 80's and 90's. Jackie O as the first lady was the whole package to and in the United States many women wanted to dress like her in the 60's. Princess Grace was both very beautiful and had star quality, but I don't remember her being a trendsetter in clothing. To me who is most beautiful of the 20th century is to beholder.:);):)

Well, imo, one of the reasons Diana's funeral grabbed worldwide headlines and showed such grief was because of the way that she died. Her death cemented her place in history. As a young beautiful lady. If she were still alive today, I don't think she would be garnering as much praise or attention as she does now in death.

I definitely think she was one of the most famous but not thee most famous. She was definilty one of the most visible however. But she did not leave a lasting or strong enough legacy, as say Elenor Roosevelt, Mother Teresa, or even the Queen Mum left behind. As for beauty, I found her to be more far more pretty in the early years. She had this glow and softness about her then. She became far more adrogenous later.

Well, imo, one of the reasons Diana's funeral grabbed worldwide headlines and showed such grief was because of the way that she died. Her death cemented her place in history. As a young beautiful lady.

That is true, but a famous person has to be interesting enough with their life work to grab worldwide attention for that much outpouring of grief. I know stars like James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Princess Grace. Elvis Presley, both Kennedys, and Michael Jackson cemented their places in history by dying tragically, but did the world grieve like they did for Diana, Princess of Wales? The closes to worldwide grief in my opinion was Michael Jackson.

I think if any other woman came close to being more famous that Diana was Princess Grace. I think these two woman had much in common, but Princess Grace did not have so much tabloid coverage. I think the most beautiful and most the famous is up to each person.:);):)

If she were still alive today, I don't think she would be garnering as much praise or attention as she does now in death.

The inquest and not many more negative revelations about Diana's personal life; I think she is finally resting in peace and I hope will have a positive place in history.

I don't think she would have the tabloid coverage now, but I do think she would still get attention for her new career. Diana, Princess of Wales was going to produce documentaries on causes and to bring them to worldwide attention. The documentaries would keep her famous even now.:);):)

IMO there isn't the most beautiful woman of the 20th century. All women famous or normal are beautiful. Its unfair to say that Marilyn, Diana or even Audrey are the most beautiful.

For me the most beautiful and famous women of the 20th century were Princess Grace and Princess Diana.:rose2:
They were two fairy tale´s princesses,pretty,elegant,glamorous,charismatic,good persons,two icons of fashion,who both impressed the world by their beauty,and personality,and both died young tragically in car accident.

I don't think she was the most beautiful woman of the 20th century. She was just the most famous.

I think, Diana was the most famous woman of her time, the 80ies and 90ies. For the whole century I rather think it was HM Queen Elizabeth II. Because I really think that since her coronation nearly every child in the world knows her image at least.

And beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. :flowers:

I think, Diana was the most famous woman of her time, the 80ies and 90ies. For the whole century I rather think it was HM Queen Elizabeth II. Because I really think that since her coronation nearly every child in the world knows her image at least.:flowers:

Dierna23 you bring up a good point about Queen Elizabeth II. I am an older person and have lived through the 1950's-on. The Queen is a wonderful, dedicated royal and since her speech at coronation which she devoted her life to her subjects she is in the heart of her subjects. But, there was something very special about Diana, Princess of Wales short, tragic, very publicized private life. She was someone so written about that you felt that you knew her and that she was just like you-warts an all. I have many books on Diana. I think Diana evolved right before our eyes and overshadow the rest of the royals houses in her lifetime and 10 years after her death. I don't know any other royal in death had so much staying power.:);):)

A yes/no poll. How moronic. Do we have to bring everything down to marketing and media tricks? Which breakfast cereal do you like, wheat based or corn base, yes or no.

As it was a YES or NO poll, I voted Yes. I love Diana but I don´t think she was the most famous woman of the 2oth century. However she´d be in the top 10 for sure. Her impact on people of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds was immense and her death was felt very deeply in my country - the only other foreigner who was so missed here was JFK.

Yes, and because her features were unique and original, not unlike Audrey Hepburn's looks were.

I don't think her looks were original.
I don't think she was the most beautiful, possible the most famous.

Some people get really passionate on here haha.

you can only have a personal opinion/taste. So, to me, Diana was the most beautiful and famous woman of the 20th century.

Diana is the only one who was the most famous and who also had inedible substance. Diana had: beauty, grace, intellect, charisma and amazing openness that made people care about her. I can't think of a famous woman today who has all of those qualities. :) Sometimes beauty isn't about who has the most symmetrical face (Grace,Marilyn), but inside beauty, presence and charm really shine and win the contest in the end.

Back
Top Bottom