The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 145 47.39%
No 161 52.61%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 664
Margaret Thatcher brought down the Soviet Union? I dunno - Americans believe that Ronald Reagan did. I disagree with both!

Rock and roll and radiation destroyed the Soviet Union, I reckon, with a little help from Boris de Drink.

About Diana - like her or not - she is definitely one of the most famous women of C20. Fame doesn't mean anything other than what it is - Diana was and remains famous throughout a lot of the world.

Sitting up from the early hours nursing and caring for a very sick little puppy I've seen tv report after report this morning on Diana, with direct crosses to London; commentator after commentator; replays of parts of the wedding; replays of parts of the mourning crowds, The Queen, the funeral, etc.. etc. She's also all over the early morning news services. I venture to conclude that she's still pretty famous in Australia!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Oh she was famous but the most famous woman? Then again, famous doesn't have to mean positive contribution of outstanding quality anymore and can just mean being known for being known.
__________________

__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Oh she was famous but the most famous woman? Then again, famous doesn't have to mean positive contribution of outstanding quality anymore and can just mean being known for being known.
Like that Paris Hilton.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM
sherylal24's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mount Joy, United States
Posts: 170
'Diana was known throughout the world, everyone knew who she was. not because she did anything earth shattering but for who she was. She was famous for being the Princess of Wales who had charisma, charm and beauty. Another woman who comes to mind is Jackie Onassis, both these woman were known worldwide which is what they mean as being famous!
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Like that Paris Hilton.
Who is she?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
She's an heiress to the Hilton Family Fortune her family owns the Hilton Hotels. Paris is complete trash in my opinion.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Who is she?

You have no idea how lucky you are that you haven't heard of her. Here in the states her face is plastered everywhere!
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
pinkie40's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
As much as Jackie ushered in a new era, Diana got way more global coverage so I would have to go back and say Diana was the most famous woman of the 20th century...Simply because they even loved her in Siberia!

Upon reflection, the 20th century is unique because "women" actually had a voice and an impact as never before in the history of modern Western Civilization.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,034
Dear members of this Forum!
As a person, who witnessed the fall of the USSR, I have got the following to note. It is unreasonable to state that Reagan or Thatcher destroyed the country. I would say that the crisis within the Communist Party aggravated by an absence of a charismatic leader and steep decline in the economics brought the country down. It was terrible and difficult time to live in and survive. I would not wish such situation on my worst enemy.
As for Princess Diana, she was an exceptional woman. Everybody was shocked to learn about the fatal car accident that took her life and felt sorry about her sons due to unfavourable opinions about Prince Charles.
There was an unprecedented coverage of the events on TV: her wedding day, reports from the crash site, and the funeral.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Oh she was famous but the most famous woman? Then again, famous doesn't have to mean positive contribution of outstanding quality anymore and can just mean being known for being known.
You are right. Famous in this instance means recognition. Yes, they are many who did a whole lot more. I am not sure about Thatcher and outside the UK she is basically a non-entity. The Soviet Union fell because it was fiscally bankrupt from years of building bigger and better war machines. Face recognition, I believe, is what this is about and Diana is it. Even Jackie Kennedy is much less recognizible. And it depends on age. Young people today, do not even know who some people we might think are famous are, like Marilyn Monroe.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,859
Quote:
I am not sure about Thatcher and outside the UK she is basically a non-entity.
Oh I don't know. There was a TV programme recently about Paul Merton in China and when he asked a tailor who he most admired fashion wise, he said Margaret. So it's strange how people's names travel.
__________________
Kaye aka BeatrixFan
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
As much as Jackie ushered in a new era, Diana got way more global coverage so I would have to go back and say Diana was the most famous woman of the 20th century...Simply because they even loved her in Siberia!

Upon reflection, the 20th century is unique because "women" actually had a voice and an impact as never before in the history of modern Western Civilization.

Dear pinkie40,
I do not mean to offend you, but there is a lot of educated people in Siberia, escpecially scientists, who live in so-called "closed scientific towns" and work on military-related projects as well as engineers, who explore the mineral resources of the territory.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Oh she was famous but the most famous woman? Then again, famous doesn't have to mean positive contribution of outstanding quality anymore and can just mean being known for being known.
I totally agree ! Paris Hilton, like many other people, doesn't deserve her fame. She never did something of her life, exept making some adult videos. It makes me sick to think about person like that who are so privileged in life but don't give a little of their time to the less fortunate and don't do anything to worth their money. You can be actress and play in films but at least you do something, it's your work that makes you rich. It's not Paris fault that her father is a millionaire but she could do intelligent actions. The real icons are famous because of their actions : political, humanitarian, acting, singing, etc. Not because their father have their pockets full of money. It's why Tatcher, Monroe, Diana, Jackie O., etc. are the famous women for me. Even if in the future, people will see girls like Paris as icones but one day they will think : "What did she do to be a celebrity ?" and then they will realize the stupidity of calling someone like her famous.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
Sorry, but I don't understand why there is any need to introduce Paris Hilton into this discussion. Comparisons between her and Diana only serve to trivialise Diana and consign her to the "famous for being famous" niche of supermarket trash mag notoriety, and that's rather self-defeating.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand why there is any need to introduce Paris Hilton into this discussion. Comparisons between her and Diana only serve to trivialise Diana and consign her to the "famous for being famous" niche of supermarket trash mag notoriety, and that's rather self-defeating.
I understand. My thoughts expressed in my previous post is that exept their blond hair, they have absolutely nothing in common.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,413
I voted no. Much as I appreciate Diana's life and work, there are just too many women of XX who either tie or seem to be arguably "more famous".
I don't understand how Paris Hilton ever entered this discussion because I don't see any similarity there at all.
Diana married a future King, gave birth to his heirs. Diana made arguably her greatest mark on the Landmines debate. I don't see any hints of the "Simple Life" star there.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 09-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 664
Apologies, all.

Of course I know who Paris Hilton is.

The purpose of my rhetorical question was intended to be much along the lines of Warren's post which suggested that PH wasn't an appropriate addition to our discussion and in no way a valid comparison with the late Princess of Wales.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
No apology required Polly as I would hope that most of us realised the rhetorical intent of your post.

I think we'd be agreed that careless comparison of Diana with contemporary trash mag celebrities serves only to diminish or trivialise her standing. While those of us with memory of Diana well appreciate her impact in the 1980s and 90s, it is a disservice to both Diana's memory and to younger members to compare her with the latest in a long line of Hollywood and other starlets whose main claim to fame is, well, nothing much in particular, and certainly nothing of substance.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 6
I think Diana was the most famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
No. I wouldn't even go so far as to say of the 80s because THE woman of the 80s was Baroness Thatcher. As for of the 20th century, again no. I think women like Indira Ghandi and Golda Meir far outranked Diana and then of course, there's the Queen. When you consider that the 20th century produced people like Eleanor Roosevelt and Rosa Parks, I doubt Diana could make it into the top ten on merit alone.
I think Diana was the most famous woman.I know all those other people are famous also,but the women you mentioned are not instantly known wherever their picture may be seen,Some of the people you mentioned I wouldn't know who they were if I ever saw them in person. I think the most famous women of the century were Diana, the Queen, and Marilyn Monroe.Diana and Marilyn Monroe have enduring fame because they died young and beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiakmt View Post
I think Diana was the most famous woman.I know all those other people are famous also,but the women you mentioned are not instantly known wherever their picture may be seen,Some of the people you mentioned I wouldn't know who they were if I ever saw them in person. I think the most famous women of the century were Diana, the Queen, and Marilyn Monroe.Diana and Marilyn Monroe have enduring fame because they died young and beautiful.
That is an excellent point. I suppose Diana could well be considered in the top most recognizeable people of the 20th century, along with those you listed as well as Audrey Hepburn and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Princess Grace of Monaco.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Famous Royal Family In Europe (Excluding British)? BritishRoyalist Royal Chit Chat 30 06-17-2014 06:16 PM
Who's the most beautiful royal woman?? QRania General Royal Discussion Archive 461 05-05-2007 09:55 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall daytime fashion dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria 39th birthday princess victoria hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises