The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 137 50.37%
No 135 49.63%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM
hornsen's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 535
I really donīt think she is THE woman of the 20th century. Her fame is the reason of a mercenaliry media industry. There are other very famously, beautifully, intelligently and radiantly women, for example Marlene Dietrich, Maria Callas, Marilyn Monroe, Marie Curie and so on and on and on. But this women werenīt on paper covers everyday because of other circumstances at their lifetimes.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
No. I wouldn't even go so far as to say of the 80s because THE woman of the 80s was Baroness Thatcher. As for of the 20th century, again no. I think women like Indira Ghandi and Golda Meir far outranked Diana and then of course, there's the Queen. When you consider that the 20th century produced people like Eleanor Roosevelt and Rosa Parks, I doubt Diana could make it into the top ten on merit alone.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
I would say that Diana was ONE of the most famous women of the 20th century like f.ex. E. Roosevelt, I. Gandhi, M. Monroe, Jackie O., Elizabeth II, M. Thatcher or Madonna... There was/are many women famous like it was in the past or in the future centuries becouse they were or do smth (more or less) important or just becouse they had done something.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
MissSaga's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manhattan, United States
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
No. I wouldn't even go so far as to say of the 80s because THE woman of the 80s was Baroness Thatcher. As for of the 20th century, again no. I think women like Indira Ghandi and Golda Meir far outranked Diana and then of course, there's the Queen. When you consider that the 20th century produced people like Eleanor Roosevelt and Rosa Parks, I doubt Diana could make it into the top ten on merit alone.
But everyone knew who Diana was. She was everywhere. Even children knew who she was, or at least had seen pictures of her or had definately heard of "Princess Di". I doubt a 10 year old would have known who Indira Ghandi were, if you know what I mean.

Thatcher and the others you mentioned did "bigger" things than princess Diana, but are and will never be as famous as Princess Diana is or(and) were, I think, even after her death, she is, someone everybody knows who is, even people who wern't even born in '81.

I doubt she is the most famous woman of the 20th century, but she is definately in the top 10 !
__________________
Why do all good things come to an end ?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:32 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
No, I'm sorry I don't agree. A 10 year old knew who Diana was yes but surely we're talking about fame that means something rather than endless pap shots on the front of magazines? Those women did bigger things than Di therefore their fame is equally bigger, certainly their legacy is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
So if I good understand (that what MissSaga's wrote) Diana was famous becouse she was everywhere. Probably around 20 or 50 years Diana will be know as one of the few late/ 20th century pop icon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 653
I think that Diana would come fairly close to being the most famous woman of C20.

Being the 'most famous' doesn't mean that you're the brightest or the best or have contributed to mankind in some spectacular way - it means the best well-known. i.e. there would have been a good chance that people in war-torn Angola or Mozambique would have heard of Diana but not Margaret Thatcher; ditto Australians living in the far-flung deserts; ditto villagers in Japan; ditto citizens of Spain, USA, Outer Mongolia, Peru, Korea, Uzbekistan, Fiji, etc. etc.

Diana captured the imagination of hundreds of millions of people in a way that very few ever have. This makes her extraordinary and special and a C20 icon, whether one likes her or not, in my opinion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
MissSaga's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manhattan, United States
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I think that Diana would come fairly close to being the most famous woman of C20.

Being the 'most famous' doesn't mean that you're the brightest or the best or have contributed to mankind in some spectacular way - it means the best well-known. i.e. there would have been a good chance that people in war-torn Angola or Mozambique would have heard of Diana but not Margaret Thatcher; ditto Australians living in the far-flung deserts; ditto villagers in Japan; ditto citizens of Spain, USA, Outer Mongolia, Peru, Korea, Uzbekistan, Fiji, etc. etc.

Diana captured the imagination of hundreds of millions of people in a way that very few ever have. This makes her extraordinary and special and a C20 icon, whether one likes her or not, in my opinion.
Great post, this is exactly what I mean.
__________________
Why do all good things come to an end ?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-07-2007, 06:04 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Sorry, I don't buy it. I'm sure more people would know women who brought down the Soviet Union and discovered radium than a glorified glamour model.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
No I don't think so. She will be one of the most famous women in late 20th century and she cannot be the most famous woman of the 20 century. I would rather bet on Queen Mother and Queen Elizabeth II. They have more significant impacts on history.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 653
Actually, I would like to think that you're right, BeatrixFan. However, I'm confident that if you stopped the average citizen in the streets of Melbourne, or New York or London, and asked 'who discovered radium?" they, most likely, wouldn't know. If you asked the same ordinary citizen 'who was Princess Diana?' I'm sure that they could answer. That's fame, to me. Remember, fame doesn't, nor has it ever, necessarily equated with worth or value, e.g. there's an American, peroxide-blonde hotel heiress who's quite famous though few can determine what her actual 'value' to the world is. (Not of course that I compare the late princess with anyone at all; I'm merely making a point).

Marilyn Monroe died before I was born but I've always known who she was and what she did. She's become a legend, undoubtedly, just I believe that Diana will, if she hasn't, already. Whether this is a good thing or not, the simple truth is that she gave a great many people a great deal of pleasure and who can begrudge anyone that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
No I don't think so. She will be one of the most famous women in late 20th century and she cannot be the most famous woman of the 20 century. I would rather bet on Queen Mother and Queen Elizabeth II. They have more significant impacts on history.
My point, love_cc, is that Diana was internationally known and admired (or disliked, depending on your point of view). However, as much as I admire Her Majesty, it's not likely that her contributions to history, such as they are, mean anything at all to the majority of the world's vast population. We, understandably, share an anglo perspective on world events, but that's very much a minority world view,these days.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:48 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Sorry, are we saying that the Queen - 50+ years on the throne of many nations and Head of the Commonwealth - has had less impact on the world than someone who spent a split second as a Princess in comparison? No, I don't get that at all and I'm sorry, I find it insulting that you'd suggest that Diana has been a better asset to the world than the Queen. It's untrue, it's unfounded and it's totally impossivle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 653
No, of course I'm not saying that, so there's no need at all for you to feel insulted.

My point is that Diana is better-known to all and sundry, wherever they live, than is our Queen. Because she's 'Our Queen' we know a lot about her, she is within our purview, which is, historically, Anglo. This is not a criticism: it is, though, in my opinion, a statement of fact. However, hundreds of millions of others, scattered around the four corners of the globe, knew of and admired Diana, irrespective of her or their nationalities. My contention is that Diana was better known; ipso facto, more famous. I thought that I had made myself quite clear on my take on 'fame', three posts back, but apparently not. Sorry for that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
logansrest's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somertset West, South Africa
Posts: 25
I have to agree as well with this reply. There were many greater woman but few could relate to the people as Princess Diana did - a warmth that touched everyone. Unfotunately her tragic death helped in making her more famous, though not in the wanted way. The 20th century will not easily forget her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Her warmth did not touch everyone, it didn't touch me so let's not make sweeping statements. Her warmth touched those who read Hello! magazine and were foolish enough to shell out pounds on staged photoshoots. She lived in the 20th century, she was famous but she certainly wasn't woman of the century. What on earth did she do to warrant that title? I very much doubt Diana is known to every human being on the planet and I very much doubt that those who did know her also admired her. Someone mentioned Marilyn Monroe - why is Diana suddenly more famous than Marilyn? Why is she more famous than the Queen? Polly, you say you believe it's a fact that in the Anglo view she was the most famous woman in the 20th century. Where on earth is the evidence to support such a 'fact'?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,905
I would say Diana was undoubtely one of the most famous women of the 20th century, but I wouldn't go as far as calling her the most famous woman.

Among Royals, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth could all give her a run for her money.
Among non-Royals, Margaret Thatcher, Mother Theresa, Marie Curie, Marylin Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Jackie Kennedy, and a number of others were no-less famous.

Edit: A poll with simple yes/no options was added, so you can express your opinions via poll as well. But please don't just say yes she was or no, she wasn't. Give reasons for that, like all people have done up to this point.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Her warmth did not touch everyone, it didn't touch me so let's not make sweeping statements.
She clearly didn't and that's just dandy, but, was it not you who said to me quite some time back that the way in which you viewed Diana had, well...altered? And for the better if I recall.

Perhaps an 'episode' of charitable understanding? Or one too many cheap wines.lol.

Quote:
Among Royals, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth could all give her a run for her money.
Queen Mother certainly, but Alexandra or Mary? No, I don't believe so and to me, that signifies the gross intrusiveness of the media and how much much it has 'advanced' since their respective times as consort. They are/were undeniably known though THE most famous women...not entirely sure about that as such.

Though, with each era there is someone who 'takes the cake' and at some stage, during their lives, I'm sure they were exceptionally well known far and wide. I guess really, it's an ever revolving cycle of who's "in" and well, who's "in".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Polly, you say you believe it's a fact that in the Anglo view she was the most famous woman in the 20th century. Where on earth is the evidence to support such a 'fact'?
No, BeatrixFan, I didn't say that, nor would I, as I don't believe it. I'm sorry that we seem to be at cross purposes here, which, no doubt, is due to my inelegance of expression.

On a lighter note - I had quite a chuckle at your quote from Livia.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,160
Mother Theresa i beleive is more known
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's the most beautiful royal woman?? QRania Royal Chit Chat 461 05-05-2007 08:55 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]