The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 139 49.47%
No 142 50.53%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Courtier

I don´t think she was more photogenic than any other person. Depends on the quality of the photographer. I don´t even think she was specially pretty. People had waited and speculated for years who Prince Charles was going to marry finally. It´s the same with f.i. Princess Letizia in Spain. When both Princes finally married the hype began.
If she were still alive maybe none would ask things like that any more. It was only because Charles in that days was the most desired bachelor in the world. If he had married a guinea-pig then we would maybe ask nowadays why a guinea-pig was so photogenic.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well both Letizia and Diana are very beautiful women. In some of the photos that i've seen of Letizia she seems to be very photogenic and likewise for Diana. If Diana was just a plane jane she wouldn't have gotten all that press attention and being on soo many gossip and fashion magazines just because she was Charles' wife. The media loves people who are beautiful.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Gentry

I for one think that some of best photographs that were taken are not by professional photographers but by fans and some are posted on this very forum. They did not use airbrush techniques or special lighting. To me, she still looked lovely and in some pictures didn't even realize her picture was being taken. Was she photogenic? To me it is a no brainer, a definite YES!

Lily
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Many photographers said that you really must be clumsy to take a bad picture of Diana.
Can you post the links, I been unable to find the one mentioned earlier, said to be by Tim Graham, just the Testino offering.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
I don´t think she was more photogenic than any other person. Depends on the quality of the photographer. I don´t even think she was specially pretty. People had waited and speculated for years who Prince Charles was going to marry finally. It´s the same with f.i. Princess Letizia in Spain. When both Princes finally married the hype began.
If she were still alive maybe none would ask things like that any more. It was only because Charles in that days was the most desired bachelor in the world. If he had married a guinea-pig then we would maybe ask nowadays why a guinea-pig was so photogenic
Great points
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
The media loves people who are beautiful.
No, the media loves anything that will make it money and as we all know, will alter facts and airbrush photos to do so.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I wonder if they airbrushed Kate Moss or Camilla since your soo sure that they airbrushed many pictures of Princess Diana.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well I wonder if they airbrushed Kate Moss or Camilla since your soo sure that they airbrushed many pictures of Princess Diana.
Of course they do, even Kate Moss will admit to that. The Cocaine smoking pictures of Kate were 'adjusted' to make her look as bad as possible, the early pictures of Camilla were chosen to make her look unglamorous.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Can you post the links, I havn't been able to find the one mentioned earlier, said to be by Tim Graham, just the Testino offering.
Tim Graham for sure. You are right, must be Testino also. I've read it in several books but the declaration of Tim Graham is in Diana, the portrait by Rosalind Coward.
Except Graham or Testino I can't remember the others .
Might be some other official photographers of the princess (like Patrick Demarchelier maybe).

Sorry for the gap of information .

TheTruth .
Old 04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Sorry for the gap of information .
TheTruth .
No problem, thank you for trying!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Of course they do, even Kate Moss will admit to that. The Cocaine smoking pictures of Kate were 'adjusted' to make her look as bad as possible, the early pictures of Camilla were chosen to make her look unglamorous.
I always thought that she was unglamorous. But I believe that the pictures of Kate Moss were adjusted to make her look like she was high on cocaine.
The media likes to publish flattering and unflattering pictures of famous people.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I always thought that she was unglamorous.
It might be the impression anyone relying on the media or a Diana fan would make.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

Ofcourse she is not perfect but overall she is pretty and I don’t think anyone denied that. So go ahead and criticized her but deep down in people heart they know that she is elegant, classy and photogenic.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlan
Ofcourse she is not perfect but overall she is pretty and I don’t think anyone denied that. So go ahead and criticized her but deep down in people heart they know that she is elegant, classy and photogenic.
Yes some people do deny that. Not everybody thought she was elegant, classy or particularly photogenic. Some people like the 'Barbie' doll look, others don't, it really is down to a matter of different tastes. Was she naturally photogenic, I don't think so, I think without use of make up she was below average, compared with women of the day, IMO. .
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Courtier

One thing that made her so interesting was the fact that she was only 19 when she became engaged. None had ever expected Charles who was in the beginning of his thirties to marry a teenager! Rumours were going around in those times f.i. that he was to marry Princess Marie Astrid from Luxemburg, a nice Lady, blond, but not a really beauty. She f.i. ist seven years Diana´s senior. If he´d married M-Astrid then they would´ve made HER a Photo-Star. Diana was a nice girl, wonderful skin but in my opinion she had no charisma at all. Always that look from below to above, her succesful attempt to banish Charles into the second row (it´s not his mistake that he´s not so attractive with his ears and she used her popularity, specially when the marriage started to go into crisis). Of course for what we´ve expected Charles would be able to "get" she was a surprise. And that surprise lives until today. Not to forget the fact that she died so young and was the poor "victim" in the Camilla/Charles affair. Can´t find many facts on her being a special person in her "own right". She became "special" through her position a.s.o.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I don't quite agree with you Stefanie but I respect your opinions.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's a part of truth in what you say Stefanie. IMO Diana wasn't a goddess of beauty and Camilla wasn't so ugly but the thing is, the press doesn't search for normal people. They always want the most glamourous or the ugliest, they don't live in the real world. The press also works by interests. If they know that they will be critisized for putting a bad picture of Diana (especially after her death) they won't do it. Same thing for Camilla.

But afterall, the most important isn't what we have in the inside more than the outside?

TheTruth
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Ok. I am blind. I see nothing. I have no opinions. May God forgive me for criticising the Goddess Diana.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lol, I didn't say she was a goddess. Camilla isn't ugly at all and Diana isn't that beautiful. All I say is that we only have the image the press gives us.
I totally respect your opinions and we can't forget that beauty is subjective.
As I told before the inside is more important

The Truth
Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Administrator

We're not discussing whether Diana was a goddess or a beauty. The topic is "why was she so photogenic?" Some will agree she was photogenic, some won't. It's a matter of personal taste, perception, and attitude towards Diana, so there is no right nor wrong (although magazine editors would beg to differ).
Old 07-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana: the most beautiful or famous woman of the 20th century?

Would like to start a YES/NO poll so as to see if you estimate that Princess Diana is THE woman of the 20th century and explain why.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana