The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 145 47.39%
No 161 52.61%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana was certainly one of the most famous women in the world in the 1980's and 90's. The worldwide reaction to her death showed that. THE most famous? I guess to readers of magazines and newspapers at that time she came near it. She is still known, even to people born after her death, so that is certainly a kind of fame, I guess.

As for beauty, I agree it's subjective. Diana herself bewailed the size of her nose at times. I don't think she was classically beautiful but she was glamorous and elegant. I preferred her early looks, myself, when she wasn't so thin. Her eyes were beautiful.

However, with Diana there was also a charisma that drew people to her, a sort of mixture of vulnerability and warmth and charm, and that goes beyond mere beauty in my book.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Majesty

I think that it's fair to say that Diana was the most famous woman of her time, because her image was so ingrained in popular consciousness. Even people who weren't interested in her would have seen her in news reports and on the covers of magazines. Interest in other public figures and celebrities waxed and waned, but Diana was a constant. She was always good fodder for a picture or a story.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Aristocracy

Mother Theresa, Marylin Monroe, Anne Frank, Madonna...difficult to say and could be easily argued, but I don't believe she was no.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think she was a good looking lady.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mother Theresa wasn't exactly famous she was more revered...and became an ideal. During the time of Diana Madonna was emerging as well and she had more of an impact on popular culture, fashion, trends, and important issues like race, sex, sexuality etc. This was a woman who threw the world in a tizzy when she changed her hair as well.
Anne Frank....I have to think about that one.
I've already said that Marilyn was more beautiful and more famous and unlike Diana she maintains interest and fascination in her decades after she died.
Young Diana was beautiful for sure especially when she was round in the face.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Mother Theresa wasn't exactly famous she was more revered...and became an ideal. During the time of Diana Madonna was emerging as well and she had more of an impact on popular culture, fashion, trends, and important issues like race, sex, sexuality etc. This was a woman who threw the world in a tizzy when she changed her hair as well.
Anne Frank....I have to think about that one.
I've already said that Marilyn was more beautiful and more famous and unlike Diana she maintains interest and fascination in her decades after she died.
Young Diana was beautiful for sure especially when she was round in the face.
With Madonna id say similar but different areas that they had impact on, if ppl thought the Morton book was a bombshell, just imagine if shed have done a book like Madonnas LOL.

Marilyn had more sex appeal, but Diana always had the ace up her sleeve in the adorable looks dept. Also we're just getting to her second decade passing, so we dont know yet what interest she'll have by however long its been since Marilyn died.

Young Diana was very beautiful with a round face, healthy weight and curves, before so much heartache. But you can see some similarities to those pics in her Halo Trust pictures, especially when she laughs/smiles, also her hair is close to her older, signature style.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Aristocracy

I'd say if your name has become part of the common lexicon as a verb, noun, and adjective you're pretty famous. Fame isn't based on what you did, it's about recognition. I think Diana was famous for a good thirty years, but if I were to say that name to a 14 year old now I doubt they'd know who I'm talking about. Whereas the others are lasting icons.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree at HistoryGirl and as a teacher who comes into frequent contact with children/teens, it doesn't surprise me that a generation is maturing without knowing the late Princess of Wales.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

But would a thirteen or fourteen year old necessarily know who Marilyn Monroe was, either? Even Madonna, important as she was to the generation of young people in the 1980's-90's is much less of an icon than she was twenty years ago.

It's only when we mature a bit and learn a little history and the popular culture of generations older than your own that you learn about such things. Plus, as the mother of a future king Diana is assured of longevity in that sense. She'll be a name in history books in another 200 years.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
I'd say if your name has become part of the common lexicon as a verb, noun, and adjective you're pretty famous. Fame isn't based on what you did, it's about recognition. I think Diana was famous for a good thirty years, but if I were to say that name to a 14 year old now I doubt they'd know who I'm talking about. Whereas the others are lasting icons.
What surprised me recently was that dutch royalty show "Blauw bloed" referred to her as "Diane" instead of "Diana"; if a royalty minded show can't get it right, we can forget about other people...
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
But would a thirteen or fourteen year old necessarily know who Marilyn Monroe was, either? Even Madonna, important as she was to the generation of young people in the 1980's-90's is much less of an icon than she was twenty years ago.

It's only when we mature a bit and learn a little history and the popular culture of generations older than your own that you learn about such things. Plus, as the mother of a future king Diana is assured of longevity in that sense. She'll be a name in history books in another 200 years.
Yes, but eventually she will be just among the names of the mothers of kings. She wasn't the first and wont be the last. A 100 years from now, maybe even 50, she may be a question on a history test and students will have to try and remember if the answer to 'who was the mother of King William' was a. Diana b. Elizabeth c. Alexandra d. Mary.

A teen wouldn't know the music of their parents???? Seriously Did your parents stop listening to music when they had you? I knew who the Beatles, Eagles. Monkeys and so on were before I started kindergarten. The first music you listen to is that of your parents. That goes for movies and culture as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

No, I meant that Monroe or Madonna wouldn't necessarily be such icons to young teenagers as they were to their parents. Each generation has its own idols. With Monroe especially, I do feel that her legend has faded somewhat in the last decade or so.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

Agree about Monroe. And I dont think she was as beautiful as Diana. her looks were based on sex appeal, curves, etc whereas Diana had good bone structure...
Old 05-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana was not beautiful according to standards, but it was amzing how she was transformed by clothes and hairstyle. Just a proof of what litlle restyling can do. Plus, sha had a very interesting face, with particular features. I don't know if she was the most beautiful woman of the 20th century, as there were certainly many beautiful common women around that have never been seen, but she was truly remarkable in her outer appeareance.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Truly beautiful women often have some flaw that makes them interesting, I think. For instance Grace Kelly was classically beautiful but had a very strong chin apparently cameramen at MGM would complain that she was difficult to 'light' properly because of this.

Diana's nose was probably her worst feature. I read once that she complained about it and jokingly said she would have to get it 'fixed', but of course never did.

I think the fact that she was tall and slender helped enormously with her fashion choices. Women looked and admired. She was a blonde (with a little help) and just had the most gorgeous eyes. Her face always seemed alive too, when in public. The only time I didn't like her look was when she became extremely thin and had very big hair which seemed dry. Overall though, she was really stunning looking. You couldn't have missed her when she walked in a room!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No, I meant that Monroe or Madonna wouldn't necessarily be such icons to young teenagers as they were to their parents. Each generation has its own idols. With Monroe especially, I do feel that her legend has faded somewhat in the last decade or so.
Her face is on clothes and products for teenagers and young adults so I'd have to disagree there. The beauty aspect is entirely subjective, but for me Marilyn was more beautiful. In fact, I always thought that when she wore heavy makeup it obscured her natural beauty. I think Diana's complexion and eyes were quite pretty, but pther than that she was kinda average for me.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I knew who Marilyn was at 10, I knew who Elvis was at 5 ( though I didn't know why) and I knew who The Beatles were at 7 though I hadn't heard their music yet. Marilyn became an icon the moment she died and has only grown since then. Just recently there was another documentary about her with current Hollywood stars reading her letters.
As has been stated her image is on clothes for teenagers and the image of her with the white dress flying up has become ingrained in the cultures psyche.
I would say Diana is more on a level with Jackie Kennedy and their legacies are more comparable; but not with Monroe.
As for beauty, I'll say it again Diana wasn't even the most beautiful Princess of the 20th century let alone the most beautiful woman. People are forgetting Elizabeth, Audrey, Paola, Grace etc.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Younger people may know them but would you say that the Beatles and their music are as popular today as they were forty/fifty years ago, especially with teenagers? As I said in a follow-up post, every generation has its own idols.

I come from a generation that remembers Diana and I'm among those women who identified with her, especially in her troubles. Naturally others who are younger or had different experiences don't feel that.

All beautiful women have a flaw or flaws. It makes them more relatable. I'm not among those who believe that (going back to the title of this thread) Diana was the greatest beauty of her time or all time. She could look stunning though, had lovely eyes, bone structure and complexion, and nice hair. Her face showed her emotions and was intensely alive. That added to her attraction.

Between the 1980s and 90s I do think Diana was the most famous woman on earth. She was known everywhere, her face adorned countless newspapers and magazines, overseas as well as in Europe and the US, and she could hardly venture out without being recognised and pursued by photographers. That's a level of fame few achieve.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I knew who Marilyn was at 10, I knew who Elvis was at 5 ( though I didn't know why) and I knew who The Beatles were at 7 though I hadn't heard their music yet. Marilyn became an icon the moment she died and has only grown since then. Just recently there was another documentary about her with current Hollywood stars reading her letters.
As has been stated her image is on clothes for teenagers and the image of her with the white dress flying up has become ingrained in the cultures psyche.
I would say Diana is more on a level with Jackie Kennedy and their legacies are more comparable; but not with Monroe.
As for beauty, I'll say it again Diana wasn't even the most beautiful Princess of the 20th century let alone the most beautiful woman. People are forgetting Elizabeth, Audrey, Paola, Grace etc.
Absolutely. That image is probably one of the most famous of all time. I don't know anyone that wouldn't know who she was. One of my best friends is obsessed with her and she's 21. I think Elvis, Marilyn, and the Beatles are on another stratosphere of fame to be honest. I think Diana was famous for a bit, but later dwindled as most people do. Those stars remain part of pop culture to this day. Nowadays being 'retro' is thought of as 'cool' so I think Marilyn has had an even bigger resurgence.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe it's more a US thing. Here in Australia I haven't heard MM mentioned by anyone of any age for years, (probably well over a decade,) and among my British relatives and friends, yes she's known, but imitated, idolised, regularly coming into the conversation of young people, (Gens Y and Z) no.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana