The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 140 49.65%
No 142 50.35%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was in no way the most beautiful woman of the 20th century, she wasn't even the most beautiful woman in the royal family, Princess Margaret was much more beautiful. To be sure by the time Diana came on the scene there were no more beautiful young women, then Fergie came on and she didn't help matters. I honestly find Kate at 32 prettier than Diana at 30.
As for most famous, I would dispute that when it comes to Jackie Kennedy and Elizabeth Taylor heck maybe even the Queen.....maybe. Diana's fame can't even touch Marilyn Monroe's, she has gone from star to famous to iconic to legend. She also died young and tragic mugh more tragic than Diana.
So the answer is No, not the most beautiful not the most famous.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, gawd... why am I on this thread.....

Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
a slip of the finger, a momentary lapse. Dont panic - reality beckons

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Same here, I didn't even know about this thread.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Neither.

Diana was not the most famous woman of the 20th century. The century is 100 years and Diana's fame only lasted a decade or so.

She was hardly beautiful and if fact, the older she got the more unattractive she became. She was described by an extremely pro Diana website as masculine. I must admit this hadn't occurred to me until I saw some of the photos taken later in her life & pictures of her walking.

Her private secretary, Jephson, described her as having a very bad complexion.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Majesty

I personally found Diana to be a very beautiful, tall and elegant young woman. She became famous for marrying into a very famous royal family, her private and her death made her even more famous. Whatever one may think of her, she most definitely made her mark on the British Royal Family, the people and the world. She'll never be forgotten.

I wish I was older at the time when she was alive because I probably would've tried to put the old charm on her.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Neither.

Diana was not the most famous woman of the 20th century. The century is 100 years and Diana's fame only lasted a decade or so.

She was hardly beautiful and if fact, the older she got the more unattractive she became. She was described by an extremely pro Diana website as masculine. I must admit this hadn't occurred to me until I saw some of the photos taken later in her life & pictures of her walking.

I'm reading Jephsons book now, dot know how I feel about his description of her complexion and psychoanalysis of her.
But I have always felt the older she became the less attractive she looked. In the early 80's she was very pretty especially when her face was full and round, but by the late 80's into the 90's it had gone away. I think the only reason people found her oh so beautiful even when she wasn't was a) her husband was quite un photogenic b) she was so much younger than everyone else in the BRF c) she didn't get a chance to age and fully lose her looks like Margaret or Andrew
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Serene Highness

She was very beautiful but not the most beautiful! She was the most famous and had elegance, grace and appeal
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Serene Highness

She was by no means the most beautiful woman of the world. What a pretension. She arguably was one of the most famous women however. Her fame is however already fading away. When we take as a starting point that a six years old possibly remembers something from the news then anyone under 22 has never really experienced the accident in Paris, leave alone her engagement, wedding, pregnancies, royal life and the War of the Waleses. That last ended in 1992 when Prime Minister Major announced the separation. To have real memories about that, to have seen that on television, someone must already be around thirty. For a lot of youngsters "Diana" does not have that intrinsic load it had back then in the Nineties (which is litterally "in last century").
Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Gentry

Diana was one of those rare people who just seemed to glow. Almost as if she was lit from within. She had a charisma that few people have in this age.

She was the most famous woman of her age both by her title and by her own making. For better or worse.....

As for most beautiful..well how do we rate that...it is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Majesty

I would say- stop trying to put Diana on a pedestal. Yes, I found her to be a very beautiful woman but the most beautiful of the 20th Century? No. Famous? she's on the list historically.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:

Jephson was a strange one. Diana was the most photographed woman in the world. We could all see her complexion and it was lovely.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was striking but not classically beautiful like Princess Grace!
She didn't really have symmetrical features (nose too big, eyes too small, etc).
She was tall and made an instant impression of style, however.

(I also think Kate is much prettier than Diana ever was).
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
She was by no means the most beautiful woman of the world. What a pretension. She arguably was one of the most famous women however. Her fame is however already fading away. When we take as a starting point that a six years old possibly remembers something from the news then anyone under 22 has never really experienced the accident in Paris, leave alone her engagement, wedding, pregnancies, royal life and the War of the Waleses. That last ended in 1992 when Prime Minister Major announced the separation. To have real memories about that, to have seen that on television, someone must already be around thirty. For a lot of youngsters "Diana" does not have that intrinsic load it had back then in the Nineties (which is litterally "in last century").
I am being drawn to this thread against my will. Diana's fame was not fading away at the time of her death. She was still inordinately famous. Virtually everyone in the world knew who she was in 1990s, but virtually everyone knew who Hillary Clinton and the Queen were.

I think the real question is whether she was the most celebrated woman in the world at that time. The reaction to her death indicates that she was. People not only knew who she was, but they felt personally invested in her.

That probably would have slowly changed had she lived. She seemed to be thinking about remarriage and more children, so I think it would have happened before the millennium. There would have been great interest around her wedding and if she had another child, but interest would have faded after that. She would still have her fans and would still have been the ex-wife of a future king and mother of another future king, but interest would have faded as she became older.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I am being drawn to this thread against my will. Diana's fame was not fading away at the time of her death. She was still inordinately famous. Virtually everyone in the world knew who she was in 1990s, but virtually everyone knew who Hillary Clinton and the Queen were.

I think the real question is whether she was the most celebrated woman in the world at that time. The reaction to her death indicates that she was. People not only knew who she was, but they felt personally invested in her.

That probably would have slowly changed had she lived. She seemed to be thinking about remarriage and more children, so I think it would have happened before the millennium. There would have been great interest around her wedding and if she had another child, but interest would have faded after that. She would still have her fans and would still have been the ex-wife of a future king and mother of another future king, but interest would have faded as she became older.
I agree, things probably would've changed once she got older but I think Diana would have gone on to do some major things in her life and the spotlight would've stayed on her though.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Courtier

Pictures that appear in magazines and newspapers are retouched, airbrushed or (now) photoshopped.

Photographs of Queen Alexandra were retouched in early 1900s.

In the 1980s & 1990s no different. Infact, there were probably more airbrushing and retouching going on as the techniques had improved. It was also the beginning of the tabloid wars and the introduction of several magazine and tabloids.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
A poster in the wedding section said that it was almost impossible to take a bad picture of Princess Diana. Remember Princess Michael's quote about her, "she would look good in a sack," which is usually illustrated with a picture of Princess Diana looking enchanting in a big green raincoat. Even in the pictures of her in childhood, teens, and pre-engagement, she always looked pretty. What is it about her face, eyes, nose, hair, etc. that made her photograph well so consistently?
This is the first post in this thread: i tend to agree with it, i don't remember seeing many (if any) bad pictures of Diana.
I think i read somewhere some time ago that some people have quite flexible faces with loads of different looks and that these people occasionally have bad pictures because they are sort of 'caught' in between two expressions (hope i'm saying it right).
Other people have much less flexibility and are therefore much more often photographed well (Prince Michael of Kent comes to mind)
Imo Diana is one of those people in this last category

For the title: beauty is in the eye of the beholder so i can imagine that Diana is very beautiful to some (even if not for me).
Most famous woman of the 20th century? I'd say no, imo for instance Marilyn Monroe is much more famous/iconic even after death. For royals i'd say QEII is more famous (but maybe that's just me)

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana