The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 140 49.65%
No 142 50.35%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Noor no one here said she was an angel. She wasn't an angel nor was she an evil witch either.
Anne83 called Diana an angel and a saint on another thread. I knew I was going off topic anyway. I couldn't resist asking those questions though.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Anne83 called Diana an angel and a saint on another thread. I knew I was going off topic anyway. I couldn't resist asking those questions though.
I do not agree with that poster, but no matter how much we both disagree with that poster it is her right to believe that.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

an interesting video

Princess Diana - an icon of our times?
BBC - Learning Zone Class Clips - Princess Diana - an icon of our times? - Religious Education
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Gentry

No. There were more famous and beautiful woman than her imo.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

I actually disagree.

Certainly not the most beautiful one as one can think of Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly to name just a few but she is certainly will go down as one of the most famous of the 20th century.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness

Just a thought to ponder.... If your definition of beautiful is just appearance then there were more beautiful women in the 20th century than Diana, Princess of Wales.

But if your definition of beautiful includes a person's soul, then Princess Diana and Mother Teresa are top on my list for most beautiful and famous women of the last century.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I can agree with this man's view, completely. Diana was many things to many people, and I believe that she was a mirror of her times. Perhaps people were also mourning lost hope and innocence. There was a lot of hope when Diana married Prince Charles and a lot of disappointment when it all fell apart and we learned how things were behind the scenes of their courtship and marriage. Only cynics would have been completely untouched by her death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I can agree with this man's view, completely. Diana was many things to many people, and I believe that she was a mirror of her times.
Yes Mermaid, Diana, Princess of Wales was a mirror of the times and mainly the human condition of not being perfect.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she was one of the most famous women of the 20th century. I believe The Most Famous was Wallis Simpson. Fame comes and goes and as the world turns, Diana is fading and will be completely veiled by the mists of time within 20 years. She won't be forgotten by those of us who were smitten with her, but she will fade nonetheless.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Commoner

Lol !!! =)) when i saw how many people said ''no'' to this,i wanted someone to give me a kick in the teeth =))
is really funny how the impression of people variates...my impression:lady diana is my hero,my role model,the true royal with or without the title,the most sensitive beauty on earth,the most lovely,gracious,sweet,stylish,kind and charming lady of all times and a public image who knew how to keep her figure clear in every situation...
I think that my opinion is a healthy one :d
who believes this,for sure she/he thinks right :d

Forum:

http://ladydianaforum.forummotion.com/forum.htm

http://spencerdiana1961.tumblr.com/

facebook page:
Lady Diana,the Queen of Hearts

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Royal Highness

while diana was certainly "one" of the most famous women of the 20th century, i don't think she was "the" most famous. before her were jackie kennedy and princess margaret, they had their fame either before most of us were born or while most of were too young to appreciate them. not sure exactly what you mean by saying "...who knew how to keep her figure clear in every situation" but if you meant that she she was without fault i'd have to disagree. she had extra marital affairs and there was that little incident where she pushed raine down the stairs. i definitely agree that she was beautiful, sensitive and stylish.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Do I think Diana was the most beautiful women of the 20th century?.....No, nor do I think she was the most famous. I was just sitting in a history class the other day where we breached the subject of the British Royal Family and few actually knew the people who were, or had been a part of it. The same thing occured in my journalism class when we studied the media aspects of Diana's funeral, few people actually knew who she was, of which I was pretty surprised. In reality I think it just depends on where you live and what culture as to who you think is the most beautiful or well known women of the 20th century. Over here I think people tend to think in the regards of First Ladies (Jackie Kennedy, Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, etc.) or movie stars (Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, etc) as being the most famous and the most beautful. But in my opinion the person who is the most famous probably isn't the most beautiful or vise versa.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

She was not the most beautiful, but she was wonderfully, striking and extremely well dressed. Pictures of her will go on forever. The most famous, who can say? As, the previous poster said time and culture. By the was the lady you referred to as Betty David, was Betty Davis. Time.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She was not the most beautiful, but she was wonderfully, striking and extremely well dressed. Pictures of her will go on forever. The most famous, who can say? As, the previous poster said time and culture. By the was the lady you referred to as Betty David, was Betty Davis. Time.
I know, I misspelled it, and it is actually Bette Davis, not Betty.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Do I think Diana was the most beautiful women of the 20th century?.....No, nor do I think she was the most famous. I was just sitting in a history class the other day where we breached the subject of the British Royal Family and few actually knew the people who were, or had been a part of it. The same thing occured in my journalism class when we studied the media aspects of Diana's funeral, few people actually knew who she was, of which I was pretty surprised. In reality I think it just depends on where you live and what culture as to who you think is the most beautiful or well known women of the 20th century. Over here I think people tend to think in the regards of First Ladies (Jackie Kennedy, Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, etc.) or movie stars (Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, etc) as being the most famous and the most beautful. But in my opinion the person who is the most famous probably isn't the most beautiful or vise versa.
I definetly agree depending on the area and culture. Here in NY (the melting pot of cultures) Diana is still popular among certain age groups young adults and up of course. About 2 years ago when I was a senior in high school a classmate of mine knew who Diana, Will, and Harry were, but didn't know who Charles, Camilla, and The Queen was. Mind you one of my other classmates thought Queen Victoria was still regining.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

Beauty is subjective although i think we all agree that she was beautiful.She was a style icon and hugely famous but not the most famous.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think she was the most beautiful woman of 20th Century...there have been more beautiful women than her.
About fame: I've read somewhere she was the woman whose picture has appeared more on the cover of lots of magazines around the world, and that she has been the most photographed woman of 20th Century.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansrest View Post
I have to agree as well with this reply. There were many greater woman but few could relate to the people as Princess Diana did - a warmth that touched everyone. Unfotunately her tragic death helped in making her more famous, though not in the wanted way. The 20th century will not easily forget her.
Ditto with that....She had a short life yet made such an impact
Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Cant help thinking that Lady Di is Englands equiv of
France's Marie Antoinette
Time is making Diana into a legend.... similarly to Marie Antoinette.
They were both tall... both had fair hair
both had ultimately tragic lives
both died suddenly and violently
both died at a similar age... Di 36.... Marie .... 37
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Aristocracy

The most famous? Yes because she attained the highest level of international fame, some would say fever-pitch fame, and popularity and sustained it for at least a decade.

The most beautiful? No that would go to either Elizabeth Taylor or Princess Grace or Aishwarya Rai in my opinion.

But I think the Princess of Wales definitely was an extraordinarily beautiful woman inside and out!

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana