The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
But look at Princess Mary of Denmark, she already has three! She has only been married for Three Years! Was Diana not liked by other royals. I do not mean to say this in a bad way, just wondering why she did not get more orders.
That is true. Plus one of Mary's orders is the Elephant, right? Even though it's her adopted country's grandest order, it is a huge deal by itself. It is such an honor to have an Elephant order, no matter who you are and what the reason, because it's the Elephant order, I suppose almost as special as the Garter. another one is the RNO right? The Norwegian order, which is pretty much automatic for all Scandinavian royals and their spouses. The British royal family don't seem to have that kind of tight knit relationship with any of the Continent royals. It is interesting how Britain has always been a little bit "out", at times a little "above" the rest of Europe. They had the greatest empire for so long and that generated a bit of jealousy from the rest of europe. Then there is the historical rivalry between England and France.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well at least the Princess of Wales did recieve Royal Orders.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Aristocracy

It´s interesting to know more about Diana´s Royal Orders.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
That is true. Plus one of Mary's orders is the Elephant, right? Even though it's her adopted country's grandest order, it is a huge deal by itself. It is such an honor to have an Elephant order, no matter who you are and what the reason, because it's the Elephant order, I suppose almost as special as the Garter.
Just a note - the wikipedia entry for the order of the elephant, states that Charles received his prior to the marriage.

You'll notice that the non-royal spouses (not including Denmark, where the members of the royal family automatically gets it.) who married into royal families had to wait for quite a bit (Sonja, Silvia, Paola). The only ones who received them on the same day, was Juan Carlos and Sofia, and Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg. Both of which were reigning couples at the time.

With the generation of current crown princesses (spouses of the crown princes) - none of them have the order of the Elephant. Not Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde or Mette-Marit.

With the exeption of Queen Sonja who received hers in 1973, while she was still crown princess, it doesn't seem like they award the order of the elephant to the wives of the heirs to the throne. (Again, Denmark excepted.)

Diana not having this order, is nothing out of the ordinary, in other words.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Nobility

Acutally, the reason why Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde, and Mette-Marit do not have the order of the elephant is because there have been no official state visits of Spain/Netherlands/Belgium/Norway to Denmark or the other way around. Mette-Marit did not go on the state visit to Denmark in 2005, so she could not receive the order. Mary received the Norwegian Royal Order during that state visit.

A royal can only, from my understanding, receive the order of a country if they either marry into the family or if there is a state visit between the two countries. So Letizia will not get one until Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik visit Spain on a State visit or if juan Carlos, Sofia, Felipe & Letizia visit Denmark on a state visit. That being said, I'm not quite sure why Mathilde does not have the Danish order, seeing as Margrethe & Henrik visited Belgium in 2002.

Plus, it is up to the sovereign or President to decide who receives an order. Also, I think there is a limit on how many orders have been made. For exampl, if there were 50 sashes made for the Order of the Elephant and all 50 are being held by someone, nobody new can be given one.

Do you understand what I mean?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

The only order I'd ever wish to have seen her in, is the one she would have, at some point (had everything gone to "plan"), been granted by Charles after becoming King. The Garter of course.

Alas...
Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Commoner

Diana as Colonel in Chief

Diana was Colonel-in-Chief for many regiments & attended many military events & i hope that this thread will attract your attentions
Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

he did

i wonder if someone has any pics of those events
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Commoner

I think its pretty bad that Di was a full time working royal (and a senior one at that) for 15 years and managed to rack up only 2 orders (Order of the Crown from Beatrix and another) whilst Mette Marit and Mary hold several at least despite being royal for only half that time. Why do the British female royals never seem to recieve the foreign orders that the rest collect regularly.

ps. i think the only foreign order Fergie got was the Order of st olav from norway.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah did not even receive the Family Order, which both Sophie and Camilla have (along with Gloucester and Kent wives.) I did not know Andrew had received a foreign order, I am surprised considering he doesn't attend many of the European Royal gatherings for weddings and such. If anything, Edward should at least receive a foreign order, but he wont ever receive due to his line in succession. I believe Anne has at least one foreign Royal Order, The Order of St Charles, but I could be wrong.

It is disappointing how Diana received only 2, when you look at the current Crown Princesses, however times have changed now. The Crown Princesses are much closer nowadays, and are often very good friends. The British Royal family have quite secluded themselves for their European counterparts, which is a real shame. Their only real link now is technically through Edward and Sophie.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Sarah did not even receive the Family Order, which both Sophie and Camilla have (along with Gloucester and Kent wives.)
It is true that the Duchess of Cornwall, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Alexandra of Kent, as well as the late Diana, Princess of Wales received the order during her marriage, while Sarah, Duchess of York, never did. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge hasn't got one so far either. However, giving family orders is entirely upon the discretion of the Monarch; even being a British Princess by blood doesn't guarantee receipt as neither Princess Beatrice, nor Prince Eugenie have one.

Quote:
I did not know Andrew had received a foreign order, I am surprised considering he doesn't attend many of the European Royal gatherings for weddings and such. If anything, Edward should at least receive a foreign order, but he wont ever receive due to his line in succession. Even Anne is a godparent to a Crown Prince yet she has received nothing. (That I am aware of.)
Apart from the Order of St. Olav (which Andrew received back in 1988), the Duke of York also holds the Order of the Federation from the UAE (since 2010).
Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex has no foreign orders as of now, however his namesake, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent holds quite a few orders, namely:
- The Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1988)
- Order of Charles XIII from Sweden (since 2000)
- Order of Saints George and Constantine from Greece
- Order of the Renaissance from Jordan
- Order of Tri Shakti Patta from Nepal
- Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
- Order of the Star of Africa from Liberia

Princess Anne holds several foreign orders, including the following ones from current Monarchies:
- Order of the House of Orange from the Netherlands (since 1972)
- Order of the Oak Crown from Luxembourg (since 1972)
- Order of the Precious Crown from Japan (since 1971)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Commoner

I thought i'd read somewhere that fergie recieved that order but i wasn't sure. The british royals do seem somewhat isolated from other royal families but Edward seems a have amassed a nice collection. Thanks for clearing this up guys :) much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
It is true that the Duchess of Cornwall, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Alexandra of Kent, as well as the late Diana, Princess of Wales received the order during her marriage, while Sarah, Duchess of York, never did. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge hasn't got one so far either. However, giving family orders is entirely upon the discretion of the Monarch; even being a British Princess by blood doesn't guarantee receipt as neither Princess Beatrice, nor Prince Eugenie have one.

Apart from the Order of St. Olav (which Andrew received back in 1988), the Duke of York also holds the Order of the Federation from the UAE (since 2010).
Prince Edward actually holds quite a few orders, namely:
- The Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1988)
- Order of Charles XIII from Sweden (since 2000)
- Order of Saints George and Constantine from Greece
- Order of the Renaissance from Jordan
- Order of Tri Shakti Patta from Nepal
- Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
- Order of the Star of Africa from Liberia
I believe Eugenie and Beatrice have not received the family order as they have not currently carried out any duties on behalf of the Monarch, as yet.

I also did not realise Edward had that many orders, I did not know about the Swedish Order. Is it an order normally worn by the Swedes? If so, would Edward have been allowed to wear it at the Swedish wedding in 2010, or is it not associated with times like that?

I always think the images of Diana in her Orders were beautiful, she really had the look of a Princess, name or not.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I believe Eugenie and Beatrice have not received the family order as they have not currently carried out any duties on behalf of the Monarch, as yet.
I also did not realise Edward had that many orders, I did not know about the Swedish Order. Is it an order normally worn by the Swedes? If so, would Edward have been allowed to wear it at the Swedish wedding in 2010, or is it not associated with times like that?

I always think the images of Diana in her Orders were beautiful, she really had the look of a Princess, name or not.
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are highly unlikely to ever become full-time working royals. Whether they receive a Family Order or not will be upon the discretion of the Monarch of the time.

I apologise for the confusion - by Prince Edward I meant the Duke of Kent, not the Earl of Wessex: I have now edited my original post to make that clear.

Diana always did look beautiful wearing her Orders; a true Princess.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

why sarah, duchess of york never have the RFO? sure in the future zara and catherine will have one but why sarah not?
after all, she is the mother of two princesses
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps The Queen just had better instincts about Sarah than her son or the public and knew she wouldn't be around for the duration.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
after all, she is the mother of two princesses
And? That doesn't mean she deserves it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
why sarah, duchess of york never have the RFO? sure in the future zara and catherine will have one but why sarah not?
I highly doubt Zara will ever have the Royal Family Order. Kate definitely will, probably quite soon.
I daresay if Sarah and Andrew were married for a little longer and there weren't certain unfortunate incidents connected with Sarah's name, she would eventually get the Family Order. As it were, Her Majesty turned out to be a better judge of character than most of us.
Being mother of Princesses by blood doesn't guarantee a Family order, or any order for that matter.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

diana have the orden of the royal family, right???
catherine not yet¿

diana never have the orden of the family, right? is unfair
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
diana have the orden of the royal family, right???
Yes, that was the only British Order she had.
Quote:
catherine not yet¿
Not yet.
Quote:
diana never have the orden of the family, right? is unfair
Which Order? She had the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II. I don't think it's unfair.

Tags
colonel in chief, diana princess of wales, orders and decorations, princess diana