The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
These photos are great.
What was the event when she is depicted in the summer/fall 1984 with a bright blue sweater, plaid skirt, and is leaving a building (hospital?) on what looks like a private visit, she looks serious or sad. Her long hair is back in barrettes or combs. These pictures are in the photo album in the first post of the "Diana with long hair" thread.
Okay, I found the info. I was remembering the date wrong. According to Young Royals mag Jan/Feb 85, Diana's sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale gave birth to a son on November 17, 1984. Diana visited her at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington. This was when she wore the blue sweater and plaid skirt, with her hair in the 40's "Veronica Lake" style. I'm assuming the visit was on the 17th or 18th.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Thank you so much for checking this so quickly. Another mystery (for me) solved!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Okay, I found the info. I was remembering the date wrong. According to Young Royals mag Jan/Feb 85, Diana's sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale gave birth to a son on November 17, 1984. Diana visited her at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington. This was when she wore the blue sweater and plaid skirt, with her hair in the 40's "Veronica Lake" style. I'm assuming the visit was on the 17th or 18th.
Great detective work Umbrellagirl! :) You're very close with the date - I have it as Nov. 19th from a newspaper article I have. I didn't always like Diana with her hair long, but I thought she looked nice on this day.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Serene Highness

Glad you all liked the pictures from 1984.:) I didn't know whether I should post the old black & white newspaper pics since the quality isn't that good ... maybe they'll encourage someone who has better pics from these events to post them.

Here's two more pictures from her pregnancy. They were taken on June 23 1984 as she left London for a private visit to Germany. (She's wearing that black dress with the white dots that she wore quite a bit while pregnant with Wills.)

Photos: New Idea; News of the World

Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Nobility

Please continue the post the newspaper pictures! :) Also the black and white photography is a nice change (I think the b and w photos in the wonderful "Unseen Archives" book are just as good as the color ones).
I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves seeing these "events," no matter how mundane (driving in her car, shopping) and learning more about her.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

Re:The Aug. 1, 1984, shopping photo (post 118 above):
That blue dress looks to me as if it's cut on the exact same pattern as the pink one (except maybe the sleeves are a bit shorter--or just pushed up?)
I wonder why she didn't wear the blue dress more often, and give the pink one a rest. She wore it so much that summer.
She also wore both those dresses when she was NOT pregnant. Remember, she wore the pink one to Carolyn Pride Bartholomew's wedding on Sep. 3, 1982. And at polo in Australia on Easter Sunday, Apr. 3, 1983, she wore a blue dress that appears to me to be this one, although she wore a blazer over it so the sleeves can't be seen.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Nobility

Thank you to all of you who found these pictures. I don't know why I thought of it but I just realized looking through some of my old Diana books that there were very very few pictures taken during that two month time period. Oddly it seems that Diana did more engagments during William's pregnancy than she did when pregnant will Harry. She seemed to be off duty between mid July 1984 until October 1984.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Nobility

OK, after looking over the pictures I noticed two things:

1. how small Diana was during her pregnancy, she didn't show anywhere but her belly

2. how much personal tragedy happened to Diana in 1984 with two deaths in the family.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Nobility

I thought her pregnancy with William was more difficult yet she did carry out many engagements.

Not much has been said about her uncle's suicide and how it affected her. I would have thought that would have been covered more by her various biographers, but maybe for once a delicate subject was left alone.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
Great detective work Umbrellagirl! :) You're very close with the date - I have it as Nov. 19th from a newspaper article I have. I didn't always like Diana with her hair long, but I thought she looked nice on this day.
I agree. In the summer and fall of 1984, when her hair was the longest it ever was, it seemed to me to be TOO MUCH hair. It was out of control. (Diana had very thick hair. She once said something like, "No matter how short they cut my hair, there's always a lot of it.") However, I did really like the so-called 40's hairstyle, with part of the hair pulled back at the sides and held by barrettes or combs. That was an utterly charming look.

P.S. Thank you for the definitive date of the hospital visit.:)
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Nobility

The long hair was okay - I guess I prefer it to her c. 1991-1993 look which was too short and curly. My favorite hairstyles were the early K.Shanley days, the early days of the 1990 new style, and the last year of her life.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Re:The Aug. 1, 1984, shopping photo (post 118 above):
That blue dress looks to me as if it's cut on the exact same pattern as the pink one (except maybe the sleeves are a bit shorter--or just pushed up?)
I wonder why she didn't wear the blue dress more often, and give the pink one a rest. She wore it so much that summer.
She also wore both those dresses when she was NOT pregnant. Remember, she wore the pink one to Carolyn Pride Bartholomew's wedding on Sep. 3, 1982. And at polo in Australia on Easter Sunday, Apr. 3, 1983, she wore a blue dress that appears to me to be this one, although she wore a blazer over it so the sleeves can't be seen.
Yeah, the two dresses do look very similar in style. (And yes, the dress she wore in Australia at polo is the same as she wore on Aug 1 1984.)

You know, no matter how many times she wore it, I always loved the pink version. Maybe because the first picture I saw of her in it was such a delightful one. It was published in Life magazine in the fall of 1982. Diana is at Carolyn's wedding & she's leaning against the wall. Life's describtion of the picture: "Diana ... drew the usual admirers and responded with girlish toes-up delight."

I loved this picture. I was afraid that Diana, having just given birth to William and having been in the RF for over a year now, would start becoming formal, stiff, etc. But then I saw this picture and realized I had no reason to worry.

Photo: Keith Butler

Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Not much has been said about her uncle's suicide and how it affected her. I would have thought that would have been covered more by her various biographers, but maybe for once a delicate subject was left alone.
Amazing isn't it that they could show some discretion?

I guess in the hopes of not turning the funeral into a circus, Buckingham Palace asked that Diana be allowed to attend the funeral in peace. There are a few photos from the funeral, but I'm hoping that it's just a case of one photographer being allowed to document her presence there.

Seeing Diana in the car at the funeral is so sad - she looks so lonely. I wonder why Charles didn't go with her? The RF usually don't have too many engagements in August.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

This is so awesome to find out such detail about the events! Thank you so much for the cool pictures!

I have a question. If you have a funeral for someone, why do you also have a memorial service? Is this a British thing?

I ask because here in America, you have the funeral and then that is it. If the person was cremated, you might have a memorial service. But you only have one or the other.

I do think Diana looks so pretty at the second funeral. I miss her. There will NEVER be another Diana!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The long hair was okay - I guess I prefer it to her c. 1991-1993 look which was too short and curly. My favorite hairstyles were the early K.Shanley days, the early days of the 1990 new style, and the last year of her life.
I agree, toward the end of her life her hair looked very good - with the exception of a greased back look I have seen photos of.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Nobility

Her uncle commited suicide. I never knew that. Does anyone know why he did it?

Quote:
I thought her pregnancy with William was more difficult yet she did carry out many engagements.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Nobility

from Sally B. Smith's "Diana In Search of Herself":

"Edmund Roche ...the 5th Baron Fermoy..had a history of depression for which he sought treatment in 1969, but continued to suffer from black moods."
Old 05-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Gentry

Sorry I had to deleted the pix as I didn't have the copyright and had no idea who tooks the pix.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Sept. 1992 Diana takes the boys to the Tower Hill Pageant, London as a birthday treat for Harry. The Town Crier for London (Peter Moore) is in the background.

Photo:from Peter Moore's site http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~webpage/pmoore/picpages/picture_index.htm

Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Aristocracy

Question about an outfit

I am not sure where to put this question but I am a little confused about an outfit that Diana wore on the Canada tour in 1983. She was in Ottawa and cruised the waterway on the yacht Rideau. The book that I have describes the outfit as a round-necked turquoise dress and hat.

I thought at first it was the dress that she wore in Australia when she met the Prime Minister. The blue dress with the really pretty pleats? However, this outfit has sleeves to the elbow. Then I thought that it was the dress that she wore when she arrived in Australia with the big pointed collar. But I don't think it is that one, either!

I know some of you have the dates and outfits written down so I hope you can help me.

Once again, I apologize for putting the question here. Maybe we should start a thread of outfit questions????

Thanks for your help!

Tags
diana princess of wales, pictures, princess diana