Diana, Princess of Wales Picture Thread 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like an earlier date, 1992 or 1993. Her hair was much longer in Nov'96. It may be a blue dress with yellow/red swells.

Incas and Sassie,
Thank you for the photo of that blue print dress. I don't remember ever seeing it before. I did notice "splotches" on the dress in the b/w pic I posted, but I was so intent on thinking it was the lilac dress that I passed them off as a trick of the light -- dappled shade, or something??? It was a case of seeing what you want to see, I guess. :eek: I'm glad to stand corrected.

So, do you all think that the b/w (in Post #187) is the same occasion in Birmingham? Is it the same necklace?

umbrellagirl said:
So, do you all think that the b/w (in Post #187) is the same occasion in Birmingham? Is it the same necklace?
It looks to me the same occasion, judging by the necklace and the children in the background.

I would say it's the same occasion too. As Incas points out there are lots of children in your picture Umbrellagirl and one of Diana's engagements that day was to go to a Pre-school Centre.

Here's (a rather fuzzy) full length picture (Photo: Prive magazine) This picture always makes me laugh. There were obviously horses around that day!!;)

She didn't wear that dress often did she? There are pictures of her wearing it in June 1992 in the book "The Diana I knew" by Mary Robertson (Diana is posing with Mary & her children). I also have this picture from sometime in the summer of 1991. Here she is wearing different earrings from your pic Umbrellagirl and also no necklace. I would love to know the date or even the occasion, if anyone knows ...

Photo: Sygma

Oh, now I remember it! She had a white blazer over it in the photo with the Robertsons, and I always assumed (for some reason) that it was a blouse!

Yep, that's the one. You're right, you couldn't see the dress too much in the picture. :)

Lady Jean,
You and your amazing memory and eye for detail again! I think you're right.

You're right Lady Jean - the cut does look very similar.

I recall seeing a picture of Kanga (Lady Tryon) in the blue version of the dress. I wonder if it was one of her designs. Diana did wear some of her dresses (for instance that blue/white dress that Lady Jean recently posted from the Live Aid concert)

Okay, for anyone who doesn't know the Robertson photos, here are two of them, taken at Kensington Palace on June 25, 1992. And I don't know why I thought it was a blouse. I totally forgot about the pic where they're seated and the dress can be clearly seen.

Photos from The Diana I Knew by Mary Robertson

I just had to head over to the Australian Picture Library, where Incas found her photo, and I found another cute pic from that day in Birmingham.

photo: APL/Tim Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Three photos from the 1983 Australian tour.

untitled-1.jpg

Arriving with baby William

nla.jpg

C and D reacting to questions asked by children at the School of the Air
In Sydney
2 b/w photos: Bruce Howard/Melbourne Herald/National Library of Australia;

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 1985 Australian tour:

hd0635.jpg
hd0632.jpg

hd0634.jpg
hd0633.jpg

Photos: Claver Carroll/painet

Wow, thanks priscilla kor, welcome to TRF. She was such a beauty and now that I've stated the obvious, I'd like to say my favorite is the one of Princess Diana with Grace Kelly. I'm a Monaco fan.

Ani

A few photos from the 1988 Australian tour:

All photos: Claver Carroll/painet

Lovely photos indeed and that suit could be worn today - wonder who the designer was?

yes! verrry attractive looking w/unusual skirt!

That is a Tomasz Starzewski design. He made several different outfits for Diana with similar horizontally-pleated skirts.

Last edited:
Princessdianafan: THANK YOU so much for sharing your wonderful photos. They are very impressive contributions to this thread! :flowers:

PrincessDianafan said:
Thanks Lady Jean and Warren. I was very lucky to have met her.
Wonderful pictures! So tell us--did you ever exchange words with Diana? Whether you did or didn't, what was your overall sense of her? What did or didn't surprise you about her in real life versus the person we know from pictures in the media, any difference?

thanks Kdt13, adierick,and Princess Olga

Well, Meeting Princess Diana was a thrill. She was more stunning in person than in her pictures and even though her bodyguard wanted her to get into the car she walked across the street to meet me and I gave her some flowers.

The next time I saw her was at Picadilly. She walked over to me and said, "I remember you. You're so sweet, you gave me flowers last tuesday." I've attached the photo that my friend Stacy Martzall took as Diana spoke to me. You can see my blue jacket and the side of my head. Diana is holding the new flowers I gave to her that night. I was speechless.

dipow3.jpg

Did she really said this to you? How nice from her! If she would have talked to me, I would have fainted, no doubt! :dizzy: What a lucky person you are!

Vanesa.

Yes, she really said that. Here's some more pics taken by A. Chan (2nd pic)and B. Rohr (1st pic)
dirun.jpg

d1.jpg

These photos are fantastic! I'm new to this forum and have quite enjoyed the stories, photos, and the chatter in general. Looking forward to, hopefully, meeting some new Diana friends :)

Thanks for the pictures. I would like to ask a questions, is she thinner is person than the pictures show. I have heard that she was very thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom