The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/461970874255214128/

Charles and Diana with Princes of Liechtenstein.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Courtier

I wonder what the interests was in the countries that she visited?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I wonder what the interests was in the countries that she visited?
I think that would probably depend on when/why she was visiting those countries. Countries she visited as the Princess of Wales - either by herself or with the Prince of Wales would have been undertaken because the governments of those two countries had arranged it. Some (dancing with John Travolta at the White House) she probably enjoyed more than others.

She undertook other visits, after she had separated or divorced from the Prince that were to do with her charitable interests so there would have been interest in seeing the work that was done by the various charities. At least one her visits to Pakistan had the added interest of meeting the family of Dr Khan.

Other countries, of course, she visited because she was on holiday - Spain, USA or the Alpine countries spring to mind. Her interest there was probably the same as other visitors to those countries, sun and sea in the case of Spain, skiing in the case of the Alpine countries and adventure holidays with her sons in the case of the US.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

One of the Princess of Wales 1st solo oversea's visits was to the funeral of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco in September 1982.

14 May 1643-Death of Louis XIII de France /Louis II de Navarre
Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I think that would probably depend on when/why she was visiting those countries. Countries she visited as the Princess of Wales - either by herself or with the Prince of Wales would have been undertaken because the governments of those two countries had arranged it. Some (dancing with John Travolta at the White House) she probably enjoyed more than others.

She undertook other visits, after she had separated or divorced from the Prince that were to do with her charitable interests so there would have been interest in seeing the work that was done by the various charities. At least one her visits to Pakistan had the added interest of meeting the family of Dr Khan.

Other countries, of course, she visited because she was on holiday - Spain, USA or the Alpine countries spring to mind. Her interest there was probably the same as other visitors to those countries, sun and sea in the case of Spain, skiing in the case of the Alpine countries and adventure holidays with her sons in the case of the US.
I meant was there always a frenzy with the country she visited?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I meant was there always a frenzy with the country she visited?
Oops, sorry I misunderstood.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Majesty

I can remember that there was always a great deal of media coverage whenever Diana visited Commonwealth countries and the US, whether with Charles or alone. On official tours she was of course always with Charles.) Frenzy?

Well, she was very much loved from the beginning in countries like Australia and I can remember the buzz of sheer excitement when she appeared for the first time in Sydney and Melbourne (and I have no doubt elsewhere.)

I think outside the Commonwealth Diana was greatly admired and loved. You can see photos of crowds when she visited Europe for example. I don't know whether they were frenzied but they were certainly happy to see Diana, judging by appearances.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Diana had this constantly. I may get in trouble for saying this but I think none of the younger royals can match the love and admiration Diana had from the people anywhere and anytime.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Majesty

As a Harry fan for a long time I think he has had some especially when he was younger, but in general I think you are right, Kitty.

But with the caveat that it was a very different time, magazine and print media driven. How Diana would have fared in this age of social media I have no idea. Keyboard warriors can be incredibly nasty and callous and I think she would have been made miserable by criticisms.

I saw her several times in real life, the last time when leaving a restaurant in Chelsea shortly before she was killed. There was a young couple who stopped to look at who it was leaving as there was a stir among the passersby.

I was near to them and they both literally had stars in their eyes. I said to them 'She's lovely isn't she?' and they both nodded without taking their eyes off the car in which she was leaving.

She had a stunning effect on strangers who would never actually get to meet her in person, including me, and I don't think that can be duplicated or put on. And as a person who has seen most of the BRF close to, I don't think it has been.

http://www.princessdianaforever.com/tours-special
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Amazing. She certainly did have that special something not everyone has!!! It will never be duplicated again.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

She did have a special quality, but I think that she would not be so adored and idolsied in todays world. Her faults would be more publicly known, she would be snapped by mobile phone users, not just paps and I think she would find it much more stressful than her life in the 80s and 90s...
Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She did have a special quality, but I think that she would not be so adored and idolsied in todays world. Her faults would be more publicly known, she would be snapped by mobile phone users, not just paps and I think she would find it much more stressful than her life in the 80s and 90s...
IDK about that. Sometimes you have that special quality which can transcend any decade. But you are right in the sense she is lucky not to live in this decade which is ruthless.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Just a reminder that we have the Memories of Diana thread to share memories of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Tags
diana princess of wales, prince of wales, princess diana, princess of wales