Diana, Princess of Wales: Australian and Canadian Tours and Visits

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of couse I do and I'll never forget it. I posted about on my LiveJournal page the day of the Tenth Anniversary Memorial Service and I'd link to it, but I've been unable to access LJ the last few months. Which I have no reason why that's happening, but it is and it's very frustrating. Especially as I have a friend battling Terminal Cancer who had just entered Hospice Care when the gremlins started and I have no idea how she's doing or even if she's still w/us. :sad:

Obviously, I keep trying to access it, but so far I keep getting "Website Not Found" messages when I try. When I'm finally able to, I'll share the link. A few things...

I had been placed beside two people in Wheelchairs right by the ramp leading to the floor of Science North (it was designed that way, so *everyone* could enjoy and visit Science North) we were on, so we'd have easy access to at the very least see TRH really well. We were also right beside the Press Corps/Photograpers. Well, when they and the entourage following them were seen heading up to us, a bunch of people right away stood in front of the three of us. I guess Diana had seen what they'd done, because the next thing I knew, she walked right up those people, asked "Excuse me please?" and met the three of us first. :) She also took her time talking to us before she did anything else on that floor that day.

I was so shocked by how musical her voice was. All the books that say Diana had perfect pitch? After hearing her speaking voice live and not from a recorded event or interview, I believe them.

As for those famous eyes, I have only seen one other person over the years that has those same eyes and that's Canadian and World Figure Skating Champion Kurt Browning. And I mean exactly the same!! A gorgeous bright blue that's always sparkling w/mischief and good humour. I'll never forget them.

Yes, believe me I know just how very fortunate I am. It was my Mom that made it happen though. I'm legally blind thanks to a degenerative eye disease that's attacking part of the make up of the Retina. Bright lighting gives me fits at times, so knowing that, my Mom called Science North once the visit was announced to see where the best place would be for me to stand the day of the visit and what time to be there. When the person on the other end asked Mom if she wanted me inside or outside, Mom told me it took her a couple of second to react w/, "Inside, inside would be wonderful!!! :D

So it was all thanks to my Mom that I got to meet the Princess that day. We knew then it would be more than likely a once in a lifetime thing. How little did we know....:sad:

Tiggersk8, I found more photos of Diana in that day. I hope you enjoy.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Not quite sure where to put this question. This may be the wrong thread so feel free to move my post. It has been well documented that the 1983 tours to Australia/New Zealand and Canada are the infamous tours which people said DI mania really started and obv the jealousy between the couple began. So my question is this: is there any footage of people groaning or saying she's on the wrong side when Charles approaches. It's quite clear from the footage the public responded to Diana very well and quickly but I was just wondering if there's any footage where you can actually hear people's reactions. I've always heard about it but never physically seen any footage.

Last edited:
:previous:People started being disappointed when Diana was on the other side of the road as early as the Welsh tour in 1981. I don't specifically remember people groaning when they were here in 1983, but perhaps I missed it.

Not sure either Mermaid1962 I wasn't born yet in 83 and am just going by what I can find nowadays in footage and info. Today I was watching old documentaries and that's what they keep saying that they would groan and hold up big ears whenever Charles approached or something to that extent though I've never seen footage where you actually hear them expressing their displeasure but as I said in the footage I have seen it's clear Diana's popularity greatly increased during and after the 83 tours. I mean the crowds would go crazy the children would run up to her hug her give her flowers after flowers. I got a headache just watching the footage. For the first time ever I sorta understood how Charles felt and I truly think Diana to an extent understood it too but IMO I think to an extent she also liked the attention naturally.

I think she understood as well, but what was the poor girl to do?? Stay away? I think, and this is my opinion, that most men would be rather proud if their choice of wife, was so well received. But if one is brought up to think, that one is the center of everything, I guess it must be hard to share the limelight. A shame that he didn't realise that it took nothing away from him, but rather added to his popularity.

I seem to remember Diana saying after the 1985 tour of Australia that people were holding up big ears and signs about Prince Charles. She seemed to be bothered that people were treating Prince Charles that way. I date her attempts to upstage Prince Charles to after that, perhaps after 1985 or '86. Both of them have said that around this time is when the marriage completely broke down. Until after the 1983 tours, I think that Diana found the large crowds really terrifying. You can see that in the pictures taken near the Sydney Opera House; she was holding a posy that someone threw into her carriage and appeared to be weeping. Some have interpreted that picture as being upset about Prince Charles' treatment of her, but I think that it might have been sheer terror of the crowd. I think that Prince Charles was being supportive during the Australia tour. He often touched her back to guide her or behaved affectionately.

Not sure either Mermaid1962 I wasn't born yet in 83 and am just going by what I can find nowadays in footage and info.

Thanks for the info on that Mermaid I had never even heard about some of it. I agree he seemed very much supportive of her in the early years. The footage just a little bit reminded me of William and Catherine. I think despite everything else the real break down of the marriage happened after 85. I think the 83 tours were def my fave tours they did together. I dunno what it is but they feel special to me somehow.

I think she understood as well, but what was the poor girl to do?? Stay away? I think, and this is my opinion, that most men would be rather proud if their choice of wife, was so well received. But if one is brought up to think, that one is the center of everything, I guess it must be hard to share the limelight. A shame that he didn't realise that it took nothing away from him, but rather added to his popularity.

I think we all assume Charles was unsupportive and jealous. I personally never saw any evidence or read any quotes from Charles that would indicate he was jealous. I think that was Diana's spin.

There was something really magical about their early years together.:flowers:

Thanks for the info on that Mermaid I had never even heard about some of it. I agree he seemed very much supportive of her in the early years.

The only time I remember him being clearly sarcastic was when he spoke in Washington after Diana danced with John Travolta. There was definitely a nasty undertone there. But on most other public occasions, he made a positive comment about Diana.

I think we all assume Charles was unsupportive and jealous. I personally never saw any evidence or read any quotes from Charles that would indicate he was jealous. I think that was Diana's spin.

Why is she then, allways accused of outstaging him??? If he wasn't jealous, he would not feel outstaged.

I think his opinion was made very clear with his comment on needing two wifes and him directing the show.

It is only natural to want to see the princess. Look at the amounts of threads devoted to jewellery, dresses aso for each of the current CPss and even the new Duchess. A man in a suit just don't have the same photo appeal.

Something interesting I drew from an article today. This lady also met Prince Charles when they visited Canada. It says 1981 but I'm sure they meant 1983. Kinda touches on what I've been curious of about. But it is totally natural for there to be more interest in woman. My mom said the exact same thing while we watched William and Kate arrive this morning."
The couple visited the newly-opened Ottawa police station, and split up to go down opposite sides of the street and greet well-wishers.
"Diana was called to the other side of the street. Charles came up to us and he said, ‘I'm sorry but you'll have to settle for me,'" Hoerle said.
The Ottawa woman then had a chance to chat -- albeit briefly -- with Prince Charles
Royal watcher thrilled: William remembers her hat - CTV News

Last edited:
Wow, this is a great slide, wonderful pics! She was so beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know when this picture was taken and for what occasion?

http://www.biographyonline.net/people/diana/images/diana3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom