Diana Memorabilia, Auctions and Exhibitions [non-Spencer]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish to visit the exhibitions but I am in the US :(

Decorating the palace... Diana's life in wallpaper: Iconic photos turned into sketches as part of royal residence's £12m restoration

I simply hate those "wallpapers"; they look horrible. They may be meant to have some sort of cartoonish look, but that is just ridiculous. Could someone explain why is there a cow in her wedding picture? Or why does she look desperate, ugly and/or anorexic in every single sketch?
One of the tackiest tributes ever. :ermm:

I'm with you!
I just toured KP, and I'm very disappointed with the new setup.
As I told the Baroness of Books, I found it disorienting and confusing; it was better before, imho! Or they might have left the Enchanted Palace exhibit intact- really anything would be better.

Nothing was labeled or identified properly; what was the purpose of those boxes in the Queen's bedchamber, or the spice drawers in the King's?
Who were all those people in the photographs? (Yes, I recognized a few, like Queen Victoria, but the others?)

The court gossip was intriguing, but not very practical with such crowds of visitors, since you have to be sitting right on top of the microphones to distinguish what the voices are saying.

What does everyone else think?

From car boot sale to palace: Diana's long-lost record collection saved by the MoS - and returned to her delighted sons
Discovered at a car boot sale eight years ago and put up for auction, they are deeply personal treasures, which is why The Mail on Sunday decided to step in by buying them and returning them to their rightful place – with her sons, William and Harry. And they have been well received. The Princes’ spokesman said: ‘They are very grateful to The Mail on Sunday for retrieving the records and returning them. They were a cherished part of their late mother’s possessions, music being a critical part of her enjoyment of life.'

That's very nice of DM. Too bad they felt the need to publicise it, but still very nice.

:previous:
It is a nice gesture of DM.

BTW, it is always said Duran Duran was Diana's favorite pop, but I read an article in which Diana herself said that was a misunderstanding, although she liked Duran Duran's music, but she was not a fan. She said her favorite was Dire Straits.

Here is the article
Gadsden Times - Google News Archive Search

I tend to believe this article. To me Duran Duran's music would be too loud for Diana. Dire Straits' rock is much softer which would be Diana's taste, in my opinion.

Very nice stuff indeed. The items are pretty much historical. Personally, I would keep it.

'Do-not-publish' Diana photo up for auction

The photo of Diana pictured in a skiing chalet was taken during a holiday in the French Alps in March 1979, after Diana had accepted an invitation to join her friend Mary-Ann-Stewart on holiday.

Articles:
http://www.princess-diana-remembere...ana-photo-up-for-auction.html]'Do-not-publish' Diana photo up for auction - Princess Diana Remembered[/url]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ess-Diana-scrawled-published-goes-hammer.html
http://www.princess-diana-remembere...ana-photo-up-for-auction.html]'Do-not-publish

Last edited:
Will William buy Diana's iconic dresses back from the shamed socialite who tried to cash in on them? | Mail Online
In the catalogue notes to the 1997 Christie’s sale, Diana wrote: ‘The inspiration for this wonderful sale comes from just one person; our son William.’

The young Prince, then just 15, had told his mother to sell off her crowded wardrobe for charity.
Is it time for the future king to buy back his mother’s legacy — and return the dresses to an elegant closet in a quiet room somewhere in his new home at Kensington Palace?

Personally, I don't see William buying these dresses back at all. To me it just seems like something he wouldn't really think of doing. I wouldn't see Kate wearing any of them and to have them just taking up space in a closet somewhere doesn't seem logical to me.

I think William prefers to honor and remember his mother in his own way and very privately. I miss my mother too but I've really not held onto too much of her possessions except for some things that to me, were exclusively "her".

Diana's dresses sold at auction

Hi all! I'm new and I must say I am pleased to be here.

I have been searching the forums if anyone has posted about this topic yet but I could not find it(and if I posted this in the wrong place, pardon me. I'm still finding my way around). So I thought I'd start a new thread.

I find it very interesting that 16 years after her death, we are still fascinated by Diana. Her dresses sold for over a million dollars last month! Here's the article:

Iconic Princess Diana Dress Sold for 200,000 GBP at Auction - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I wonder if we will admire Kate's clothes/fashion the same way we do Diana's MANY years from now. I like Kate's style but it is different from Diana's. I think Diana's style speaks "princess." Although, I know her style was a product of the time she lived in, of course. Have you seen any of her dresses up close? I've seen some of them. Her dresses are so beautiful!

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

When Diana died, I went out and bought every single newspaper, magazine, EVERYTHING I could find. I'm in Los Angeles, so not only did I buy everything local, I had access to all the NY papers, etc. of course the magazines came out later (but all first editions). I have everything from the LA Times, Royalty magazines & even the American tabloids. I'm getting ready to move and I don't think I can bring this box with me. Do you think this is something worth selling - do any of you think a collector would be interested? I'm going to post this to another Diana forum, but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask here first. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. It's a regular file box, filled to the brim, carefully tended, and in excellent condition. The newspapers were all the first news editions of the tragedy. Thanks, Magdalene

I had every issue for the first 12 volumes of Royalty Monthly. They were in mint condition. I tried to sell these locally and on ebay. after 3 years of trying, I still have 4 years left, and I basically took a bath on what I did sell. I hated getting rid of them, I also moved and didn't have room to bring my collection with me. :( Good luck on being able to sell them.

Top 10: Princess Diana auction dresses

Wikicollecting.org (a free, open-source guide to everything collectible) has contacted the Administrators and given permission for us to reproduce the "Top 10: Princess Diana Dresses" list which is based on the prices the dresses achieved at various auctions.

Rather than copy the entire entry, here is the link which includes details and photos:
Top 10: Princess Diana dresses - Wikicollecting

Top 10: Princess Diana Dresses
courtesy of wikicollecting.org

10) State Tour of India, 1992 lilac dress - £66,000

9) Pink sequined ivory crepe gown - £78,000

8) 1987 Cannes Film Festival gown - £80,000

7) State Tour of India, 1992 black dress - £87,211

6) Sea green sequined evening gown - £90,000

5) ‘Second’ wedding dress - £90,000

4) Burgundy crushed velvet Back to the Future evening gown - £108,000

3) Palace de Versailles, 1994 dress - £108,000

2) First official Royal appearance dress - £192,000

1) The ‘Travolta Dress’ - £240,000

If knowledgeable members pick up any errors in the descriptions or have any further details or information to add, please contact Wikicollecting at cat@wikicollecting.org

:previous: I actually found this article a bit disturbing and--for want of a better word--"creepy."

How sad. I wonder why it's being sold.

How sad. I wonder why it's being sold.

I guess some people prefer to have the cash more than the letter written on behalf of a former royal, and merely signed by the lady in question whilst she was between holidays.

I guess some people prefer to have the cash more than the letter written on behalf of a former royal, and merely signed by the lady in question whilst she was between holidays.
Ahhh yes, if only I could holiday in Bosnia while strolling through landmines! It sounds sooo relaxing!

BBC Radio Times Charles & Diana Wedding Souvenir Issue, 1981

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place on this forum for this notice - apologies if not.

I am auctioning an original Radio Times from July 1981, the special souvenir issue celebrating Charles and Diana's wedding.

If this piece of memorabilia is of interest to you, here's a link to the auction on eBay, complete with photos so you can see what excellent condition it's in.

BBC Radio Times 25 31 July 1981 Charles Diana Royal Wedding Souvenir Issue | eBay

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom