Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May 15, 1982

Photos: Tim Graham (1. from book Diana Princess of Wales by Nicholas Courtney; 2. from Getty Images)

Canadiana said:
POLO 1986

July 12: white wrap over floral jacket worn over a long pleated teal blue skirt

untitled.jpg
Canadiana, is this July 12? I found this photo a while ago on the website of Peter Grace, who is apparently a polo instructor, but there was no date given.
Photo from website www.polo.co.uk/peter_grace_polo_coaching.htm

Last edited:
May 22, 1982 (date provided by Canadiana)

Photos from Born to Be King: Prince William of Wales, by Trevor Hall (photographer/s uncredited)

Squidgy said:
Photo: Star Magazine (no photographer mentioned)
Wow! diana and charles seem to be perfectly happy. It's rare to see these little moments between them when you think of what was really going on in diana's head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidgy said:
It was also worn on April 21 1983 in New Zealand as Tenngirl notes.:) If you have that In Public View book, there is a picture of her wearing it there.

Wait, there are 2 very similar jackets! Both are quilted and have mandarin collars. Polo, May 29, 1983, was what I think of as the pink-&-blue striped quilted jacket. (Worn also at Wimbledon, 1981, and in Canada June 28, 1983.)
At polo May 29: unbuttoned, shoulder bag
Canada June 28: buttoned, clutch bag

It was the other jacket (printed with tiny flowers and edged in blue) that she wore Apr. 3 and Apr. l5, 1983, in Australia and Apr. 21, '83 in New Zealand.
Apr. 3 (Easter service) over blue-green dress, with light blue brimmed straw hat
Apr. 15 jacket with matching printed skirt, with saucer hat
Apr. 21 I have no pic, the Fashion Diary in Story of Diana says worn over an off-white dress and with a blue pillbox hat (maybe same hat as Apr. 15?)

May 29, polo. Photo: Bob Thomas/Alamy
June 28, Canada. Photo: David Levenson/Getty Images

Apr. 3, Australia. Photo: Tim Graham/Corbis/APL
Apr. 15, Australia. Photo: Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

Last edited:
Umbrellagirl, this is the outfit that she wore in New Zealand on Apr. 21 1983. For some reason, there aren't too many pictures from this day. I have another picture from Ebay (which I can't post because I don't know the photographer) & this one from In Public View, and that's it.

May 30 1982

Photos: T Graham/Corbis/Jours de France (no photographer credited)

June 4 1982

Photos: Royalty Magazine (no photographer credited)/Born to Be King (no photographer credited)/L Cherruault

umbrellagirl said:
I remember reading somewhere that the little boy is Fergie's half-brother, that is, the son of Major Ferguson and his second wife. But then his name would be Ferguson, not Danvers. I don't remember the source, and I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows positively?

Lady Jean said:
Sarah's half-brother Andrew was born in September 1978, according to Ingrid Seward's book on Sarah published in 1991.

Umbrellagirl & Lady Jean, thanks for your thoughts on who the little boy is. I guess it will remain a mystery ...

June 6 1982

Photos: T Graham (left & centre)/Corbis (right)

God, the pregnancy dresses were pretty awful at that time. Polka-dotted TENTS. So unflattering!

Squidgy said:
Umbrellagirl, this is the outfit that she wore in New Zealand...
OK, Squidgy, it looks like the Fashion Diary got it wrong for Apr. 21 when it said the flowered jacket and blue pillbox hat. I take it that on your eBay photo you can see more detail and definitely identify this as the striped quilted mandarin-collar jacket.

And that's not the hat I was expecting to see! This hat is the same one she wore to the Sony plant with her pink coat while pregnant in Apr. 1982. It was so great the way she was always recombining her clothes and accessories.

Another from June 6, 1982:
0000186872-004.jpg

Photo: Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

June 15, 1982, polo after Ascot
I love this sweet photo -- Charles is showing her some affection.

Photos: 1.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 2.Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Umbrellagirl & Lady Jean, thanks for your thoughts on who the little boy is. I guess it will remain a mystery ...

I know I know (hand raised) ok I got np clipping of that and it says the little boy who's 5 years old is Danvers Baillieu son of local farmer Mr. Colin Baillieu who runs the local pony club polo team.

Very good, Canadiana (says the teacher). Mystery solved!

umbrellagirl said:
OK, Squidgy, it looks like the Fashion Diary got it wrong for Apr. 21 when it said the flowered jacket and blue pillbox hat. I take it that on your eBay photo you can see more detail and definitely identify this as the striped quilted mandarin-collar jacket.

Yes, in the "ebay" picture you can definately see she is wearing the pink/blue jacket with the white pleated skirt.

The Fashion Diary is a good source of information, but it's only a starting point. They definately got much wrong.

• the Diary says she attended the premiere of "For Your Eyes Only" on Mar 3. It was really June 24th
  • the Diary says she went to the Sandown Races on March 25. It was the 13th.
  • the Diary says she attended the Welsh Guards dinner on May 27. It was really June 1st.
  • the Diary says Nicholas Soames' wedding was June 1st. It was June 4
  • it left out the Mar 17th & June 9th state banquets & a May 22nd reception
... and that's just errors on the first page.

Canadiana said:
I know I know (hand raised) ok I got np clipping of that and it says the little boy who's 5 years old is Danvers Baillieu son of local farmer Mr. Colin Baillieu who runs the local pony club polo team.

Wonderful work Canadiana! I knew you would come through. Thank you!:)

umbrellagirl said:
Canadiana said:
POLO 1986
July 12: white wrap over floral jacket worn over a long pleated teal blue skirta while ago on the website of Peter Grace, who is apparently a polo instructor, but there was no date given.
YES this is the picture for that date.

POLO 1987

May 3: navy quilted jacket, blue denium shirt tucked into jeans & cowboy boots
May 10: white mickey mouse sweatshirt & denium jeans
May 17: navy quilted bomber jacket worn over navy sweater with circular white satin applique on front & navy & white striped cropped pants
May 31: lemon cotton two piece suit, turquoise polka dot shirt
June 7: white jacket (same as the year before at polo) & black knee length skirt, wide black buckled belt
June 14: white sweater witha trome-l'oeil navy polka dot design worn over a pleated skirt
June 16: two piece cream floral outfit with peplum jacket
June 27: polo after wedding (white dress with navy polka dot ruched waistline same as worn the year before at epsom)
June 28: light denium blue cropped dungarees with white tshirt underneath
July 11 (not totally positive on this date): cream blouse with sailor style collars tuckedinto a taupe pleated skirt patterned with an abstract satin design, bk buckled belt
July 15: navy long lined blazer worn over white v-neck blouse and ??? skirt (not sure color)
July 26: lemon cotton 2 piece suit, turquoise polka dot shirt

Squidgy said:

The Fashion Diary is a good source of information, but it's only a starting point. They definately got much wrong.
  • the Diary says she attended the premiere of "For Your Eyes Only" on Mar 3. It was really June 24th
  • the Diary says she went to the Sandown Races on March 25. It was the 13th.
  • the Diary says she attended the Welsh Guards dinner on May 27. It was really June 1st.
  • the Diary says Nicholas Soames' wedding was June 1st. It was June 4
  • it left out the Mar 17th & June 9th state banquets & a May 22nd reception
... and that's just errors on the first page.

Yes, I know. I'm constantly crossing out and changing things in that Diary. It is, however, what got me started with trying to date every photo I found. Ever since I bought the book The Story of Diana (with that Fashion Diary in the back) in 1985, I've been trying to continue what they began.:)

POLO 1988

May 8: pale lilac long sleeved sweater with broad mint green stripes worn over lilac skirt & baseball cap
May 22: pale blue sweatshirt with a 'scoop' moft worn over pale yello bermuda style shorts, baseball cap
June 16: polo after ascot (pearl grey top coat over white dress)
June 26: navy 3/4 length blazer worn over white round neck blouse & navy & white check skirt, wide navy belt
June 29: blue crepe-de-chine dress with a strong colourful floral pattern with ruched waist
June/July (dont' have actual date) polo match sponsored by harrods
(navy long line double breasted blazer with long white pinstriped lapels, cuffs & skirt ~~~~~~ she worn this to many official eng 1988-1990
July 13: two piece white suit
July 24: red & white patterned dress with lace insert

Also in 1988.
May 2: British Lung Foundation sweatshirt under a tweed blazer & blue jeans
July 3: the Cartier polo game sponsored by Harrods.

I asked the question earlier about the pink jacket and I just wanted to thank you all for your answers! This is a fascinating thread. I am enjoying reading the dates and remembering the outfits!

You mentioned that she wore a lemon cotton suit with a blue polka dot blouse. I have always wondered where she got that combination...it looks cool together but it would not seem like it should?

Also, I noticed that she wore a couple of the same outfits again, right after each other. She was such a good dresser. I really miss her fashion, I wonder what she would be wearing now?

Tenngirl

Incas said:
Also in 1988.
May 2: British Lung Foundation sweatshirt under a tweed blazer & blue jeans
July 3: the Cartier polo game sponsored by Harrods.

Ah ha! Someone else who is keeping a diary. Thanks for the July 3rd date Incas. I've been wondering about that one for a long time. (Just to make sure - it is the match where she is wearing the navy jacket with a lapel white/navy stripes & the white skirt with navy pinstripes???)

Canadiana said:
POLO 1987
June 27: polo after wedding (white dress with navy polka dot ruched waistline same as worn the year before at epsom)

Canadiana, do you know if this is the same date a photo was taken of her with Charles and James Hewitt together? There was a fourth man, I believe it was Maj. Ferguson.

Squidgy said:
Ah ha! Someone else who is keeping a diary. Thanks for the July 3rd date Incas. I've been wondering about that one for a long time. (Just to make sure - it is the match where she is wearing the navy jacket with a lapel white/navy stripes & the white skirt with navy pinstripes???)
Yes, she was sitting with Al Fayed. I have a few photos which I haven't gotten around to save onto imageshack yet, so I can't post them. She was wearing a short narrow pinstripe skirt and navy pumps. Sometimes, she paired a long white pleated skirt with the jacket.

Incas said:
Yes, she was sitting with Al Fayed. I have a few photos which I haven't gotten around to save onto imageshack yet, so I can't post them. She was wearing a short narrow pinstripe skirt and navy pumps. Sometimes, she paired a long white pleated skirt with the jacket.
Great, thank you!

Here's one pic from that match. I like this one because it is I think the first picture they found of Diana & Dodi together.

Photo: Daily Mail Archives

Squidgy said:

Is that the match where she supposedly first met Dodi Fayed? Anybody have the story or photos on that? I think I've seen a photo (somewhere!) of her in that outfit, with Dodi in the background, and a caption to that effect.

Back
Top Bottom