Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok the picture of diana in the striped sweater & skirt at polo match is July 11.
She worn that navy sailor suit March 27 when they visited the Gloucestershire police station and later photographed with the Queen who gave her consent for the marriage. On June 9 she worn it again for polo match & with the red shoes. The sheep sweater polo match date was June 6. Two more polo matches were July 12 she worn the pale yellow dungarees and July 8 she worn that mauve stripey ruffled dress July 25 was the floral outfit (where she left crying) then July 26 polo match in a pale lilac print top & dress (with Sarah) the June 28 another polo match where she worn a white coat over a dark teal blue spotted dress (which was also worn July 25 for HMS Mercury engagement with Charles)
That covers the polo matches before the marriage.

Canadiana, I've been wondering where you and your vast store of knowledge have been.;) Thank you for all the polo dates. And you even know both occasions when she wore the teal dress! You've never seen it without the coat, have you?

Did you find all these dates in those old British newspaper clippings you have? Anyhow, many thanks.

Canadiana, thank you for setting us straight as usual!! Please visit more often, I have missed you!:)

As far as dates go, what about...
the pale pink patterned blouse and skirt, where Diana is photographed wearing Prince Charles' watch and her own, and talking with Princess Anne,and kissing the Queen hello. Is that the pale lilac you are referring to? Or is this yet another match she attended? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanx Lady Jean & Umbrella Girl I have been on here checking things out but didn't see anything at that time to post so I didn't.
Yes alot I got from British newspapers and also from squidgy we help each other for dates/engagements.
No I have not seen her wear tht teal blue dress without the coat it's pleated though with short mandarin collars I believe.

July 8th 1981 Polo at Windsor

Photo: Syndication International

Lady Jean said:
Canadiana, thank you for setting us straight as usual!! Please visit more often, I have missed you!:)

As far as dates go, what about...
the pale pink patterned blouse and skirt, where Diana is photographed wearing Prince Charles' watch and her own, and talking with Princess Anne,and kissing the Queen hello. Is that the pale lilac you are referring to? Or is this yet another match she attended? Thanks.

yes you have it correct the other mauve striped ruffled purple sash gown is july 8 which squidgy has posted.
she went to a polo match june 16 after ascot in again a purple striped outfit with the large feathery hat that was posted earlier too and by squidgy I believe

Another, closer view of that striped ruffly dress:

Both photos: Bob Thomas/Alamy

Last edited:
And here are the yellow overalls. Boy, did she have long legs.

Photo: Tim Graham/Getty Images

It is so sad to see some of these pictures. To think that she was so unhappy at the time, and now looking back it is so clear to see. The world will see what they want to see no matter how wrong they are. I just remember thinking how happy she was, but pictures speak to the truth.

Well in 1982 (if anyone is interested) Diana attended many polo matches too here's the dates.

May2 (koala/aust. map sweater & brick red cordorays
May 15 Brockenhurst, Hampshire (powder blue & white check maternity dress)
May 22 ( red & white candy striped maternity dress)
May 30 (powder blue & white maternity dress)
June 4 (bright pink maternity shirtdress)
June 6 ( green & white polka dot maternity dress) same as the departure from hospital with baby William
June 13 (powder blue & white check dress with white sweater)I never knew about this one until last year and yes same dress as may 15 & 30)
June 15 polo after ascot (pastle peach maternity dress)

Maybe someone else can post the pix!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

First of all, a few more photos from the last polo matches during the engagement.

The yellow overalls, July 12, 1981:

Photos: 1.Tim Graham; 2.Anwar Hussein

The weekend before the wedding.

Saturday, July 25, the day she broke down in tears.
(Note the pretty lilac shoes, the same ones she wore with the striped outfit on June 16 -- See Post #29 above.)

Both photos: Tim Graham

Sunday, July 26, three days before the wedding.

Photos: 1.Jayne Fincher; 2. and 3.Tim Graham

By the next year, 1982, Diana was pregnant. On April 3, she and Charles were at the Grand National, which I think is a steeplechase race (horses jumping over hedges and all that). It's not polo, but this photo is too great not to post.

Photo: Tim Graham

May 2, 1982, first polo match of the season, I think.

Diana wore the koala sweater and dark red corduroys, and her back seemed to be bothering her.

Check out the picture where Charles is patting her on the head.

Both photos: Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

POLO 1983:

May 25: cream blouse tucked into brown pedal pushers & red sweater around neck
May 29: pink, white, green, blue chinese style jacket worn over white blouse & skirt (worn this jacket to wimbledon in july '81)
June 12: red sheep sweater, white blouse with bk tie & white casual pants
July 6: white outfit with flower spray in red, blue & green the honeymoon Britannia outfit
July 12: light blue & white striped sundress with spaghetti strapped elastic top & skirt (not seen much and I've only seen b&w pix )
July 24: white cotton dress patterned with red, blue & green discs
July 29: cream sailor style blouse tucked into pale blue & white pinstriped slim pants
August 1: navy long sleeved multi coloured 'weather scene' sweater worn over white blouse & casual pants
August 9: white blouse with bold black brush strokes tucked into a white slim cut skirt

also a polo match in Australia April 3 she worn a long navy blazer over the blue check dropped waist dress she worn the next year when she was pregnant
another in NZ April 23 the afternoon of the photocall with baby William and she worn the apple green dress with the snowstorm pattern and pointed scalloped white collar

Canadiana said:
POLO 1983:
May 29: pink, white, green, blue chinese style jacket worn over white blouse & skirt (worn this jacket to wimbledon in july '81)July 12: light blue & white striped sundress with spaghetti strapped elastic top & skirt (not seen much and I've only seen b&w pix)
Would this chinese style jacket be the same one that she wore on tour in Australia or New Zealand? She carried a chubby pink purse with it.

Also, do you happen to have any pictures of that sundress? I don't think I have ever seen it!

Thanks for all your info. I used to think I knew lots about her clothes but you TOTALLY put me in the shade!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Overalls

umbrellagirl said:
First of all, a few more photos from the last polo matches during the engagement.
I love the overalls. Diana looked elegant in the most casual outfits. And I love the way she wears her sunglasses on top of her head, about 15 years before everyone else started doing it. She looks so stylish.

Welcome to the Forums Alexrich39!:)

And thanks Canadiana for those dates.

I too thought Diana looked great the day she wore the yellow overalls. Here's a few more pics. Does anyone know who the little boy is that she is playing with? I have a clipping that says his name is Danvers, but that's all. Is he one of Fergie's relatives?

Photos: A Hussein

umbrellagirl said:
By the next year, 1982, Diana was pregnant. On April 3, she and Charles were at the Grand National, which I think is a steeplechase race (horses jumping over hedges and all that). It's not polo, but this photo is too great not to post.
Nice photo Umbrellagirl! Charles & Diana seemed to be getting along very well that day. It was a joy to see. Here are a few more pics (including one of Diana with her maternal grandmother, Lady Fermoy).

Photos: T Graham (left, middle pics); A. Hussein (right pic)

Mar 18 1982 Cheltenham Horse Racing. Diana wore the same coat (but with a different dress).

Photos: T Graham

tenngirl said:
Also, do you happen to have any pictures of that sundress? I don't think I have ever seen it!
July 12 1983 I just have B&W pictures unfortunately. Would love to see some colour ones.

Photo: Star Magazine (no photographer mentioned)

tenngirl said:
Would this chinese style jacket be the same one that she wore on tour in Australia or New Zealand? She carried a chubby pink purse with it. ...:p

Hi Tenngirl - I think it was worn in the Spring of 83 but on the Canadian tour. I posted some photos in "Diana Recycles Outifts" today , post 123.

It was also worn on April 21 1983 in New Zealand as Tenngirl notes.:) If you have that In Public View book, there is a picture of her wearing it there.

just a few, i have, from getty, Corbis, and an old newspaper scan.
A1CharlesandDiana3.jpg

A1CharlesandDiana2.jpg

A1CharlesandDiana1.jpg

A1CharlesandDiana.jpg

Squidgy said:
I too thought Diana looked great the day she wore the yellow overalls...
I remember reading somewhere that the little boy is Fergie's half-brother, that is, the son of Major Ferguson and his second wife. But then his name would be Ferguson, not Danvers. I don't remember the source, and I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows positively?

Sarah's half-brother Andrew was born in September 1978, according to Ingrid Seward's book on Sarah published in 1991.

POLO 1984:

April 29: oversized shell pink & cream striped sweater & white cropped pants
May 24: light blue & white low waisted striped dress with white sailor collars
June 7: raspberry pink low waisted dress with white sailor collars
June 20: polo after ascot (apricot 2 piece outfit)
June 28: lipstick pink oversize sweater worn over turquoise cropped pants
July 1: raspberry-pink low waisted dress
July 29: raspberry-pink low wasited dress

she worn this alot while pregnant as she worn it for the William photocall june 12 as well as wimbledon July 4

POLO 1985

May12: navy bomber quilted jacket, jeans & white sweatshirt
May 30: red cardigan worn over white blouse & skirt
June 16: flower patterned multi coloured outfit on a bright blue background (she worn it to wimbledon 1981)
June 18: polo after Ascot (black & white suit worn previous month in Italy but with different hat)
June 20: polo after ascot (apricot refitted outfit from the year before when pregnant)
June 29: green & white seersucker shirtdress (someone posted a picture of this previous)
June 30: same skirt as june 16 without the jacket & white sailor type blouse think she had a red sweater tied around her neck (the embarrassed kissing pix with charles was this day, she thought he was going to kiss her cheek but he was aiming for the mouth seemed so romantic at the time b ut now.........
July 21: white blouse with bold black brush strokes tucked into a white skirt (she worn it back in aug'83 too)
July 28: black high neck dress patterned with white leaf motifs

If I've missed any Squidgy give a shout my diaries are a mess from changes etc needs to be done over some day

POLO 1986

May 24 or 25 (not completely sure here but as polo matches generally sat or sun guess it's one or the other) navy sweater with large circular silver satin applique design on the front worn over cream pinstriped pants

June 8: white sweather with red band on arm, white & red polka dot skirt (this was the bobby sox outfit)
June16: white center pleated loose style blouse with opened neck and rolled up sleeves tucked into red & white gingham pants
June 17: polo after ascot (cream silk gaberdine pinstriped suit, peplum jacket
June 19: polo after ascot (apple green moire outfit, polka dot tunic style jacket with bk belt, worn over a plain black skirt
June 24: lipstick pink sweater worn over blue denium jeans, navy patterned headscarf ( hated this so out of character for her to have worn that made me wonder if she wasn't trying to make head scarves more trendy, it surely didn't work thankfully, either that or a very bad hair day but a baseball cap would have been so much better)
June 28; long white jacket and black skirt, bk belt
July 12: white wrap over floral jacket worn over a long pleated teal blue skirt
July 27: white jacket (same as june 28) and teal blue skirt (same as above)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom