Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does anybody have some picture of the last pole game with diana in England?

gfg02, I believe that Diana's last polo game was May 31 1992, and Umbrellagirl has posted some great pictures from that game. (see post #256 - the pics of Diana in the red tshirt & white pants.)

And thanks to Canadiana for the date.:)

Squidgy said:
gfg02, I believe that Diana's last polo game was May 31 1992, and Umbrellagirl has posted some great pictures from that game. (see post #256 - the pics of Diana in the red tshirt & white pants.)

And thanks to Canadiana for the date.:)

Oh, so that's when my mystery photos were taken!

Thank you so much, Squidgy (and Canadiana).:flowers:

From majesty

umbrellagirl said:
Polo June 28, 1984. Still pregnant.

Photos: 1.Alpha; 2.Rex Features; 3.and 4.Alpha

Photos: David Levenson

umbrellagirl said:
Nov. 12, 1985, polo in Palm Beach, Florida, USA:

Photos: 1.Burnett Contact Press Images (in US magazine Dec. 16, 1985); 2. and 3.APL/Tim Graham; 4.Lionel Cherruault (in Majesty magazine, Jan. 1986)

Photos: Jayne Fincher

umbrellagirl said:
1987 was the year when Diana began to sometimes take the boys along to polo. (William had gone once in '86.) Here, on May 10, William was four-going-on-five and Harry was two.

Photos: 1.Jayne Fincher; 2. and 5.Royalty mag July '87; 3.Lionel Cherruault in Majesty July '87; 4.Srdja Djukanovik/The Daily Telegraph

Lady Jean said:

Photo: Daily Mail archives

Andrew Parker-Bowles and Diana at Sandown, Mar. 13, 1981

This one is begging for a caption but I will resist ;)

I can't help it! I have to!

APB: Come on, what do you say? We really should teach that husband of yours and my wife a lesson for running off like that.
Diana: Take one more step closer, Andrew. I dare you!

Image Gallery - Click Here (rex)

There is one pic in there of Diana and Wills at the Guards Polo Club with the Fayeds in 1988. It's obviously not a "new" find but it never ceases to amaze me to see this. It's eerie to see them to see them so happy and leisurely at polo 9 years before they would all meet again in such different circumstances. I wonder if younger Dodi had a crush on the Princess of Wales back then. He was a Hollywood producer, I think, and dated the Hollywood stars and models of the 80s (Brooke Shields, and I don't remember whoelse) but lots of men in the 80s were fascinated with Diana.

Squidgy said:
I don't think any of us will be complaining about too many Diana pictures. You are doing a wonderful job with this thread Umbrellagirl.:)

I'm just going to add a few polo pics from July 1 1984 (Diana's 23rd birthday).

Photos: D. Levinson, Hello Magazine, J. Fincher, Royalty Magazine

Hi there, I know this has nothing to do with the polo but doess anyone have a 'extra' close up of these earrings?? I have tried for years to figure out these earrings they seem like black disk earrings with bows or something on the top???? she worn them couple times with this dress?????

umbrellagirl said:
I need help illustrating the next two polo matches.
I've been following Canadiana's listing of polo dates, plus a couple that I added, and up to now I've found photos that match up with all her descriptions. (Except for the green polka-dot outfit worn in June '86, which Incas so kindly provided).

But I've been unable to find pictures for polo on June 16 and June 26, 1988. According to Canadiana's list, on June 16 Diana attended polo after Ascot wearing that dove-gray tailcoat. We've all seen it at Ascot, but I've not found a photo at polo.

And on June 26, according to Canadiana, Diana wore a "navy 3/4 length blazer over white round neck blouse and navy & white check skirt, wide navy belt." I don't remember ever seeing this outfit.

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

here's the pictures june 26'88 ONLY one I have of that polo match

June2688.jpg
source my scrapbook Today Np

don't know who the little girl is just thrilled to get a cuddle from Diana I'd say.

Canadiana, what a fabulous & rare, rare picture. Thank you!:wub::flowers:

(And yes, what a lucky girl she is, getting a cuddle from Diana!)

absolutly great photo, canadiana!!!!!!! really I never see it before, diana look great! loverly iamge with the little girl.

Thank you, Canadiana, for that rare photo, and for the fact that you know the date.:flowers:

Doesn't Wills look cute in his matching khaki shirt and shorts -- sort of a safari outfit.

Anybody knows why I can't see the photo canadiana has sent?

more 4 photos

from Hola, Point de Vue

umbrellagirl said:
Another year of polo begins. May 2, 1988.
The photos from this day are familiar images of Diana at her best. Here are just a few to refresh our memories.
I did find one really different picture, where Diana had taken off her jacket.

Photos: 1.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 2.APL/Tim Graham; 3.Hello magazine; 4.Alpha

Last edited:

From majesty

Squidgy said:
March 25 1991 Diana attends an equestrian event in Gloucestershire.

Photos: Hola magazine

From majesty and mirror

Canadiana said:
Hi there, I know this has nothing to do with the polo but doess anyone have a 'extra' close up of these earrings?? I have tried for years to figure out these earrings they seem like black disk earrings with bows or something on the top???? she worn them couple times with this dress?????

From Jayne Fincher

umbrellagirl said:
July 11, 1987
This polo match sponsored by Harrods was a benefit for the Malcolm Sargent Cancer Fund for Children. After polo, there was a tea party for 50 children suffering from cancer. In photo #4, Diana is pulling a "cracker" with the little girl at far right.

Photos: 1.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (J. and T. Fincher); 2.Alpha; 3. and 5. Diana: Portrait of a Princess by Jayne Fincher; 4.Mike Roberts

Squidgy said:
Welcome to the Forums Alexrich39!:)

And thanks Canadiana for those dates.

I too thought Diana looked great the day she wore the yellow overalls. Here's a few more pics. Does anyone know who the little boy is that she is playing with? I have a clipping that says his name is Danvers, but that's all. Is he one of Fergie's relatives?

Photos: A Hussein

Hello. I am the little boy in the photo. I am amazed that after all these years, this photo has been dug up. My name is Danvers {last name deleted - Elspeth} and I am now 30 years old and work in the City of London as a lawyer - you can Google me if you are interested. I am not related to any royals. I simply wheedled my way onto Diana's lap and ended up with my photo in the papers and in magazines around the world. My parents refused to allow any follow up publicity, as they thought it would be bad for me and I think they were right.

PS - At the time no one was interested in Fergie. She was simply the daughter of Major Ronnie Ferguson, Charles' polo manager, so when she married Prince Andrew, it was even funnier that I had been photographed sitting in the middle of them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danvers, Welcome and thank you so much for posting!! :) Great to "meet" you. Those are some of my favorite photos of Diana prior to the wedding.

I love the picture with Diana putting her head on the rail. She was just so spontaneous.

hi danvers, thanks for join us! i love your diana's history.

Thank you for all the photos.
E. Harris

Lily97 said:
Thank you all for these photographs, I too have never seen Diana in a scarf, at least without a hat on. This is great as I am seeing photographs I haven't seen before. Gosh I miss seeing her, don't you?
Lily

I loved looking at all of the photos. I am amazed at how well organized the photos are. You folks really did a great job. What a pity the Princess is gone.

Danvers said:
Hello. I am the little boy in the photo. I am amazed that after all these years, this photo has been dug up. My name is Danvers {last name deleted - Elspeth} and I am now 30 years old and work in the City of London as a lawyer - you can Google me if you are interested. I am not related to any royals. I simply wheedled my way onto Diana's lap and ended up with my photo in the papers and in magazines around the world. My parents refused to allow any follow up publicity, as they thought it would be bad for me and I think they were right.

PS - At the time no one was interested in Fergie. She was simply the daughter of Major Ronnie Ferguson, Charles' polo manager, so when she married Prince Andrew, it was even funnier that I had been photographed sitting in the middle of them all.
Hi Danvers! Thanks so much for identifying yourself. I always wondered who that little boy was. I remember when these photos were first published, I was just so enchanted. It was rare at that time (& even still is today, I think) to see a royal acting so normal & carefree. I guess you brought out the best in Diana. Thanks so much for your part in creating some of my favourite early Diana images.:flowers:

You would have only have been 4 or 5 years old, so maybe you don't remember much, but, like the others, I would be interested in hearing about any further information you have from this day.

I'll see if I can dig up a few more photos from this day.

When was Diana's last trip to the polo? And does anyone have any pictures of this (in retrospect, quite sad) day?

Back
Top Bottom