Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Polo, June 24, 1986. I just loved the way Diana looked on this day. I'd be happy to see other photos anybody might have.

Photos: 1.Arthur Edwards; 2. and 5."Charles and Diana: The Tenth Anniversary" by Brian Hoey (no individual photographers credited -- may be Glenn Harvey); 3. Glenn Harvey; 4.Syndication International

Umbrellagirl, thank you for the pictures of Diana, I've never seen those or Diana wearing a head scarf. The pictures of Diana and Fergie wearing a Little Bo Peep dress were ones I hadn't seen either. Whatever was Sarah thinking?:ohmy:

Thank you all for these photographs, I too have never seen Diana in a scarf, at least without a hat on. This is great as I am seeing photographs I haven't seen before. Gosh I miss seeing her, don't you?

Lily

Tenngirl & Umbrellagirl,
You are welcome. I think that was the only photo I have seen of the green dot outfit at the polo event.

June 28, 1986 (date courtesy of Canadiana)
This is a very rare occasion: Diana is not wearing earrings. I can think of only one other time she was seen without them, and that was a year later at polo, wearing the same white jacket (if I'm ID'ing the photos correctly).

Some of these pics in the white jacket were tricky to date. If I've gotten any wrong, please correct me.

Photos: 1.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide, J. and T. Fincher; 2.Aasta; 3.Press Association; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5.Gamma; 6.Jim Bennett/Alpha/Globe Photos; 7.Gamma

For comparison's sake, I'm posting the only two photos I have from June 6 or 7, 1987, out of sequence here. As I noted above, Diana wore the same white jacket (and black skirt) as a year previously, and to make it more difficult for us obsessed with dates, she again went without earrings!
As I said above, please correct me if I've dated these pics wrong.

Photos: 1.Glenn Harvey (cover of Majesty Aug. '87); 2.APL/Tim Graham

If anybody has any more photos from this day, please share.:)
I actually do have one more -- full-length, too, down to the shoes -- but I found it on eBay and therefore can't post it.

Last edited:
Polo, July 12, 1986

Photos: 1.Rex Features; 2.Rex Features; 3.Aasta

Polo, July 27, 1986:

Photos: 1.Jayne Fincher; 2.Tim Graham; 3.David Levenson/Getty; 4.Majesty magazine; 5.John Shelley; 6.AP/Wide World Photos; 7.Hulton-Deutsch Collection/Corbis/APL; 8.Rex Features; 9.Aasta; 10.David Levenson/Getty

Nov. 12, 1986. Polo in Oman.
Since it is a Muslim country, this public kiss was met with disapproval. It was edited out of the local TV coverage.

Photos: 1.Tim Graham; 2.Georges deKeerle/Getty; 3.Nick Didlick

OK, guys, here we go: 1987. This was the year Diana attended the most polo matches: 12 of them, according to Canadiana's list posted earlier in this thread. And I've found photos of them all.

This was also the year the general public began to realize that the marriage was in trouble.

May 3, 1987 (date courtesy of Canadiana):

Photos; 1.Rex Features; 2.Srdja Djukanovic/Camera Press

1987 was the year when Diana began to sometimes take the boys along to polo. (William had gone once in '86.) Here, on May 10, William was four-going-on-five and Harry was two.

Photos: 1.Jayne Fincher; 2. and 5.Royalty mag July '87; 3.Lionel Cherruault in Majesty July '87; 4.Srdja Djukanovik/The Daily Telegraph

Looking through all these pictures bring back so many sweet memories of Diana.I have every picture in this thread in fact I have countess pictures of Diana and I realise that I still miss her very much.Looking at those early years she was so fresh face and Charles and she seem to be so in love,it's just so sad.She was a style icon nobody comes close even today's princesses.

Well said, ah mei.

Umbrellagirl, thank you again for such incredible work....maybe "work" is not the right word because it must be enjoyable assembling these pictures.

I'm sure I 'm not the only one to think this thread looks like a chapter in the Diana book of my dreams! :flowers:

That's so nice of you to say, Lady Jean and princessdianafan70. With encouragement like that, I'm liable to keep going.:wub:

May 17, 1987, was a cold, wet day:

Photos: 1.Alpha; 2.Tim Graham/Getty; 3.APL/Tim Graham; 4.mirrorpix.com; 5.Royal Style Wars by Lesley Ebbetts; 6.Rex Features; 7.APL/Tim Graham

Polo, May 31, 1987.

Here, as Tenngirl observed, is an unlikely combination that worked very well indeed -- the pale yellow suit with turquoise shirt and shoes. And, I never noticed it before, but in Photos 2 and 4, she also has a turquoise shoulder bag!

Note that the boys' outfits are identical, but in different colors.

This was the Constantine Cup polo match. That's King Constantine whom Diana is greeting in Photo 3, and his wife Queen Anne-Marie with her in Photo 4.

Photos:1. Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (J and T. Fincher); 2.Tim Graham; 3.APL/Tim Graham; 4.David Levenson/Rex Features; 5.Glenn Harvey/Camera Press; 6.Tim Graham

umbrellagirl said:
OK, guys, here we go: 1987. May 3, 1987
First of, everyone, these are w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l foto's, she had such a special light around her, these pictures prove it again and again. Makes me realize how much darker the world is these days without her presence.

Anyways, I have a question: if her marriage was really that bad in 1987 (and I don't dispute this), why do you think she would go to a record nr of polo matches? Perhaps because this was the year the boys were old enough to join her? Or ...is it possible she somehow was trying to prove something, to Charles, to Camilla, to everyone?

Also, if this was the year the public began to notice the marital difficulties, I take it they didn't notice because the way Charles and Diana behaved at these polo outings, was it?

I have to say that to this day I am puzzled by all the bad stories because if you look at the pictures of the early to mid eighties, they seem to show content people...not in the later eighties though..

Last edited by a moderator:
no polo game diana with princess beatrice?

This thread contains some wonderful pictures, and as I realize more and more, pictures I have never seen of her. I loved the picture of her wearing a headscarf, notice that is all the rage now!

June 6 or 7, 1987. I've already posted the only photos (2 headshots) I have of Diana that day. I'd love it if somebody could post a full-length picture.

June 14, 1987. The trompe l'oeil sweater. Note the gold metallic shoes.

Photos: 1.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 2.Royal Style Wars by Lesley Ebbetts; 3.Tim Graham; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5.Tim Graham

thanks for these great pictures. I've never seen mostly before. Please keep going to post

Just to thank you for this wonderful photos. This whole thread is so interesting. Thank you for putting the photos in date sequence.
Diana could wear anything! Any colour or style and make it a trend.. Wonderful!
I was also happy to see the photos of The POW and Diana together and sharing a kiss along the way. There must have been happy times for her!
Again, thanks for the pictures. Never saw half of them before,,
Regards

Umbrellagirl,
Thanks for the wonderful pictures! I have some comments (of course!!)

I wonder why Diana didn't have her earrings on in that one picture? Maybe she overslept or something and had to run out the door and forgot them.....:rolleyes:
She really liked that green skirt and wore it frequently. I was also amazed at the underground pullover. She wore that to start the British Marathon (sp?) one year and then with white pants to polo. It must have been a favorite!

Concerning that yellow suit with the turquoise blouse. She loved that blouse and wore it in another weird combination. It was like a brownish, tanish skirt with little jacket. She was at an event with a bunch of hunky guys in wheelchairs. It looked nice, but I thought it was really different!

I have never seen that back of the trompe sweater. I wondered why she wore those shoes with them too! It seemed an interesting combination.

Once again, thanks so much for your contribution.

Such interesting comments, Tenngirl. You obviously have really studied Diana's clothes. :)

This is off-topic, but I couldn't resist including here a photo of that other combination with the turquoise shirt which you mentioned. It doesn't show the whole suit, but on the spur of the moment this is what I was able to find online, and it's a good view of the color combination. This photo was taken in the Shetland Islands in July 1986. I think the event with the hunky guys in wheelchairs was Sportaid, earlier that month. So she wore this outfit twice in a month.

Photo: APL/Tim Graham

Squidgy said:
March 13 1981 Grand Military Gold Cup, Sandown Park.
I am very new to this forum, and my English is quite humble, but still wish to express how delightful reading this thread has been to me. A real learning experience, and you girls (umbrella, canadiana & squidgy - hope I'm not forgetting anybody!!) would be more entitled to write a book on this subject then many other wannabe-reporters out there. Thank you for sharing your knowledge (and the passion behind it) with all of us.:flowers:

I have chosen to quote the above tobacco-brown suite and hat as it is definitely my favourite of Diana's early times as a royal. Other casual outfits are pretty and fun as well (like the sheep & weather forecast pullovers), but this shows a casual and sporty elegance that soon after succumbed to frills, collars and awkward colours, at least for a while. This elegance re-emerged in her later years, in a more sophisticated way.
By the way, I believe that she looks best in plain colors instead of prints, and the one that best suits her is white, followed by red and then brown shades (remember the tweed suit she had during her honeymoon in Balmoral? That one was great on her as well). The worst color on her instead..... salmon.:whistling

June 16, 1987. Polo after Ascot.

Diana famously sat on the hood ("bonnet" in the UK) of Charles' car, and he yelled at her for it. According to People magazine, he said, "Off, off! What are you doing to my wonderful car?" Then he inspected it for any damage (Photo 4). As soon as he left, she hopped back on and smiled innocently.

This was one of the first occasions when the general public caught a glimpse of the tensions between Charles and Diana (though some of the media tried to pass it off as Charles' "joking").

Photos: 1.Rex Features; 2.Alpha; 3.London Express/Editorial Enterprises; 4.Syndication International/Photo Trends

All these pictures are wonderful! Thank you so much, umbrellagirl, for sharing them with us.

June 27, 1987:There's a note written on the palm of Diana's hand.

All photos: Tim Graham (Sygma, Getty, and APL)

There was a discussion earlier in this thread, when Canadiana posted her list of polo dates, concerning a photo of Diana together with both Charles and James Hewitt, taken at this polo match. I have never seen this picture. Can anyone post it? Thanks in advance.

Polo, June 28, 1987.
This was just a day after the set of pictures above in the black-and-white polka dots. Quite a contrast in the clothes Diana wore these two consecutive days. I guess she wasn't presenting the prizes on this day.;)

Photos: 1.Rex Features; 2. and 3.Photoshot; 4.Alpha

There was a discussion earlier in this thread, when Canadiana posted her list of polo dates, concerning a photo of Diana together with both Charles and James Hewitt, taken at this polo match. I have never seen this picture. Can anyone post it? Thanks in advance.

Ooh, I have that picture! Weird now that we know about the relationship. But I don't remember where I got it, so I can't give the proper credit required for posting.
Sorry, anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom