Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
July 21, 1985. (Thanks to Canadiana for the date.)

Photos: 1.Homer Sykes/Alamy; 2.Arthur Edwards; 3.Slim Aarons/Getty Images

July 28, 1985. I've always thought this was a very pretty dress. Diana wore it also for several official engagements.

Photos: 1.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide, Jayne and Terry Fincher; 2.Aasta; 3.Daily Mail archives; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5.Richard Slade/Camera Press

Umbrellagirl, Thank you for doing such a fabulous job, including posting these in order :flowers: I also like that you offer a few good views of the same day.

Thank you, Lady Jean.:blush:
This is my summer project. It reminds me of the scrapbooks I attempted years ago, where I pulled together all the pictures I could find from one day from various books and magazines.
I gave up doing the scrapbooks when I kept finding more and more new photos over the years. So now I'm back at it here on the Forums.:D

Last edited:
Nov. 3, 1985. Polo in Australia. Diana wore the same dress to polo on June 29. But in Australia, she also wore her "D" pendant.

Photos: 1,2,6: "1985 Royal Tour Special Souvenir" (an Australian booklet -- no photographers credited); 3,4: Tim Graham/Getty Images; 5,7: APL/Tim Graham; 8: Tim Graham in "Diana: An Extraordinary Life" (no author, Orbis Publishing); 9: Tim Graham in "In Private-In Public" by Alistair Burnet; 10: "Royal Style Wars" by Lesley Ebbetts (no photographer credited)

I hope I haven't gone too overboard here. There was such an embarrassment of riches -- so many great photos from this day. I tried to limit them, believe it or not.

Umbrellagirl,
Great pictures!
I also tried to do scrapbooks and had the same problem! Now I do it all on the computer, much easier to add new ones! LOL!! So nice to know that there are others out there who manage their collections in a similar manner!

umbrellagirl said:
I hope I haven't gone too overboard here. There was such an embarrassment of riches -- so many great photos from this day. I tried to limit them, believe it or not.

I don't think any of us will be complaining about too many Diana pictures. You are doing a wonderful job with this thread Umbrellagirl.:)

I'm just going to add a few polo pics from July 1 1984 (Diana's 23rd birthday).

Photos: D. Levinson, Hello Magazine, J. Fincher, Royalty Magazine

And July 29th 1984 (Charles & Diana's 3rd anniversary). Diana must have really felt comfortable in this dress, because she wore it to polo three times in that summer.

Photo: Life Magazine

Squidgy, Thanks for the additional pink dress polo photos. I wasn't sure about dating those, except for the June 7 occasion when Diana wore the white cardigan.

And please forgive me for not noticing that you had also posted two photos from June 18, 1985, one of which I repeated, cropped slightly differently. By the time I noticed the oversight, it was too late to edit my post.:unhappy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov. 5, 1985, the Melbourne Cup, Australia. This is not polo, but it is a horsy event. I'm including it here mainly because it gives me a chance to post one of my all-time favorite Diana photos, the first one.

Photos: 1.Lionel Cherruault; 2.Illustrated London News, Jan. '86; 3.Tim Graham in "In Private -- In Public"; 4. and 5."1985 Royal Tour Special Souvenir (an Australian booklet); 6."Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide" ( J. and T. Fincher); 7."Royal Style Wars" by Lesley Ebbetts

Nov. 12, 1985, polo in Palm Beach, Florida, USA:

Photos: 1.Burnett Contact Press Images (in US magazine Dec. 16, 1985); 2. and 3.APL/Tim Graham; 4.Lionel Cherruault (in Majesty magazine, Jan. 1986)

love the pix from the Melbourne Cup...these I've never seen...THANKS for sharing!
hugs
Dale

now and then

i must say back in the 80's the lady were dressing like you should dress for a polo match, today these ladies:sad: dress like they are going to a nightclub or a party.

thanks for the photos, lady jean!
diana really hated the polo! but in avery game with charles she was there, pregnant too.
I remenber a picture was taken 5 days before william's born.

Corazon, :flowers: I think you meant to thank Umbrellagirl who created this post and has provided such lovely pictures, or maybe Squidgy who also posted some great photos.

May 24 or 25, 1986 (date from Canadiana)
The start of another year of polo.

Photos: 1.Glenn Harvey; 2.Lionel Cherruault; 3.Tim Graham; 4.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (J and T Fincher); 5.mirrorpix.com; 6.Tim Graham

Another example of Diana's perfect coordination even in the most casual outfits: the two-tone navy and white shoes.

umbrellagirl said:
Nov. 5, 1985, the Melbourne Cup, Australia... I'm including it here mainly because it gives me a chance to post one of my all-time favorite Diana photos, the first one.
Post #162, first pic
Umbrellagirl, we are on the same wave length here! This is one of my all-time favourite pictures too. Kind of funny eh, considering you can't even see Diana's face?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to indulge myself & post a few additional photos from Nov. 12 1985. I thought Diana looked exceptionally stunning that day! And I always loved this "Kanga" dress designed by one of Charle's ex-girlfriends, the late LadyTryon.

All photos: David Levenson

Squidgy said:
Umbrellagirl, we are on the same wave length here! This is one of my all-time favourite pictures too. Kind of funny eh, considering you can't even see Diana's face?

Mine, too...she just looks so impeccable. :)

Squidgy, thanks for these great photos of Diana in Florida..they are wonderful additions to my "Diana in America 1985" album :)

Thank you to all who have posted pictures and information. They've brought back a lot of memories.:)

Lady Jean said:
Corazon, :flowers: I think you meant to thank Umbrellagirl who created this post and has provided such lovely pictures, or maybe Squidgy who also posted some great photos.

sure, sorry thanks a lot to you three!!!:rolleyes:

Polo, June 8, 1986.

What can I say? Coordination gone wild.

Photos: 1.Majesty mag Aug. '86; 2.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 3.Tim Graham in "Dressing Diana"; 4.Mauro Carraro/Rex Features; 5.Glenn Harvey; 6.Tim Graham in Majesty mag Nov. '86; 7.Rex Features

June 16, 1986. This was William's first visit to polo. It was just five days before his fourth birthday.

In the b/w photo, Major Ferguson and William demonstrate two different ways of getting to the other side of a fence.

Photos: 1.Majesty mag Aug. '86 (prob. G. Harvey); 2.Glenn Harvey/Camera Press; 3.The Daily Mail/Special Features (in People mag); 4.Alpha; 5.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 6.Glenn Harvey (in Majesty mag); 7.LGI/Corbis; 8.APL/Tim Graham

June 17, 1986, after Ascot.
I could find only these 2 photos of Diana at polo on this day, and when I saw them I burst out laughing. I'm sorry, but there's Diana in her elegant little suit -- and then there's Fergie.

Both photos: Tim Graham/Getty Images

According to Canadiana's list of dates, Diana also attended polo after Ascot on June 19, wearing that green polka-dot jacket.

I've been unable to locate any photos of that occasion (Ascot, yes, but polo afterwards, no). Does anybody have one? Thanks.

I do have one photo of Diana attending a polo match after Ascot wearing the green polka-dot jacket but dunno how to upload the photo :(

Incas,
You have made my day! Thank you so much!! I have been looking for a picture of this outfit. Perfect.
Tenngirl.

Yahoo! Thank you, Incas! Wonderful photo of the whole outfit, which I'd never seen. You made my day, too.

Back
Top Bottom