Diana at the Polo

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Squidgy said:
I loved the pictures of Diana in her "sheep sweater". That was her first polo match since the engagement was announced and pictures from that day were spread across the world. As a result, that sweater became a bestseller and must have brought in tons of money for the shop that sold it (Warm & Wonderful).
i'm agree with you,yes! i love this "sheep sweater" very well too,and i have a couple of socks,it's designed by ten white sheeps around one black sheep....

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from my scrapbook and it's from the daily star aug 2, 1983
aug183.jpg

picture by Ken Lennox

Awesome! Thanks! :) I alway assumed it was a crewneck, so it is great to know what it really was.

Lady Jean said:
Awesome! Thanks! :) I alway assumed it was a crewneck, so it is great to know what it really was.

glad you liked it she has under it a white blouse buttoned up with those tiny short winged collars she worn alot during '83.

umbrellagirl said:
Aug. 1, 1983
Thanks a lot for the pictures. I thought that I had seen just about every outfit that Diana had been pictured in, but this one is new to me.

Alex

Yay! Canadiana comes through again! Like Lady Jean, I'd always assumed the "weather sweater" was a crewneck. Never knew it was a cardigan. Muchas gracias.

June 18, 1985
(This is a large photo. Click on it all the way.)
"Invitation to a Royal Wedding,"Trevor Hall, 1986. No indiv. photo credits

Last edited:
Nice picture Lady Jean. I always liked this outfit, but then again I'm partial to black & white. And I liked this hat that she wore much better than the fez she first wore with this suit in Italy in 1985.

Here's a couple more pics from D. Levenson (Left) & Rex (right)

Two more from August 9, 1983:

Photos: Tim Graham/Getty Images

Polo, April 29, 1984. Diana was pregnant again.

Photos (l-r): Glenn Harvey; Alpha; Tim Graham

May 24, 1984
Photos: 1, 2, 3: The Story of Diana (Trevor Hall)
4: Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (Jayne and Terry Fincher)
5: Tim Graham

thanks for the photos!
the dress is the same to de pink that she used for the photo call in kensington for william's second birthday, right?

Yes, Corazon, I think that blue sailor-collar dress is made on the same pattern as the pink dress she wore for William's birthday photos (and several other occasions, including polo).

yeah, diana used the dress for carolne's wedding and in some occations for pole games in 1984

June 7, l984. The pink dress which seems to be made on the same pattern as the blue dress above.

All photos: Tim Graham

princess diana with {speculation deleted - Elspeth} barry manakee by a polo turnament.

source: pro corbis

Polo June 20, 1984, after Ascot. Diana is wearing the same salmon-colored outfit as in Pendragon's photos above, but here it is a year earlier, and she is pregnant with Harry.

Photos l-r: Rex Features in Majesty magazine; The Story of Diana by Trevor Hall

Polo June 28, 1984. Still pregnant.

Photos: 1.Alpha; 2.Rex Features; 3.and 4.Alpha

On to 1985. First polo match of the season, May 12:

Photos: 1.Rex Features; 2.Glenn Harvey/Camera Press

May 29 or 30, 1985. If anyone knows definitely which day it was, let me know.

All color photos: Tim Graham; b/w: Syndication International in People magazine

I really like this simple, casual look. Even on the most informal occasions, Diana was always so well coordinated. The sweater, belt, and shoes are the exact same shade of red.

June 16, 1985. This was the Constantine Cup polo match, named for ex-King Constantine of Greece. In photos 1 and 2, Diana is curtsying to Constantine.

Photos; 1.Majesty magazine; 2.Rex Features; 3.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (Finchers)

umbrellagirl,
what cool pictures! I love that white and red outfit. It looks so cool and classy!

I also like the last set you posted. I loved that suit when she wore it before the wedding and I still like it.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Tenngirl

I love the floral outfit that she wore to polo in June of 1983. Her hair was longer and lighter. She looks so young and fresh. The summer of 1983 was a good time for her looks wise.

As you may have noticed, I'm moving chronologically through all of Diana's polo appearances. Watch this space. I'll try to post two polo dates every day.

June 18, 1985. Polo after Ascot. Lady Jean has posted one photo in Post #139 of this thread. Here are a few more.

Photos: 1.LGI/Corbis; 2.Majesty magazine; 3.Alpha; 4.David Levenson/Getty Images

June 20, 1985. Polo after Ascot. Pendragon's photos in Post #149 above are also from this day.

All photos by Tim Graham (APL and Getty), except for number 4, which is by Photographers International

I've seen all these pictures of Diana at the polo grounds watching the game, but does anyone know or have heard if she truly liked the game or was there for show?

From what I've read, I gather that Diana didn't care for polo, but attended out of what she felt was her wifely duty to share her husband's enthusiasms. I don't think it was "for show," but she was simply trying to be a good wife. (IMHO). And she certainly didn't show up every time Charles played polo. He often played several times a week!

June 29, 1985. Avalon has posted 2 photos from this day in Post #61 of this thread. Here are some more.

Photos: 1.McCall's mag, June 1986; 2.Jayne Fincher; 3.Hello magazine; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5. Tim Graham/Getty Images

June 30, 1985. One of Charles and Diana's most-photographed kisses.
These two consecutive days marked the beginning of a period lasting several years where, whenever Diana presented polo prizes, they made sure to please the public by exchanging a kiss.

Diana is wearing just the skirt of the blue floral suit she wore on June 16.

Photos: 1,2,4,5, and 6: Tim Graham/Getty Images;
3. Royal Style Wars by Lesley Ebbetts (no photographer credited); 7.Lionel Cherruault

Back
Top Bottom